Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Dongattack posted:

2 questions,

1: Is it possible to make the game pause when you capture a prisoner and tell your about it in a message box? I had it setup like this a few years ago, but i can't find it now in the message settings.
2: Has the community sussed out what makes a elector vote for your nominated heir yet? Everyone has as long as i have been trying to figure it out seemed extremely confused by this.

1. I don't know, but I hope there is, because I always seem to forget to check my dungeons. I've accidentally let far, far too many innocent courtiers and whatnot spend their entire lives in there :smith:

2. From my experience with Elective Gavelkind and Tanistry, they tend to go with whoever has the worst stats and traits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Different traits favor different weighting when AI is deciding on an election so it goes a little deeper than sussing out. A rule of thumb is the traits you usually garden for for docile vassals will make them choose your candidate. But there's a lot of outright whammies in the consideration up to even docile vassals voting to gently caress you over once your electorate gets large enough as an attempt to make large electoral realms into annoying bureaucracies like the HRE and PLC. Used to be you could trait farm or bully large realms into autovoting to your candidate, now a commitment to electoral is a comittment to keeping the electors in your family to at least avoid losing the crown, even if they are going to elect numbskulls and try to affect devolution at least its all kept in the family.

Tanistry is a little special because loyalty traits or not, seniority is so strongly weighted that every successful candidate is going to be 62 years old unless you purposefully trim your male line with assisted euthanasia for anyone over 30.

Elective gavelkind brings out the whammies early so that everyone is spite voting by the time you have like 4 electors even if they are otherwise sheep.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Thank you!

Another two quick questions, where can i see:

The total of my personal combat skill?
A detailed breakdown of my finances? I want to see if my mercenary company is actually making any real money, but i can't find them in the ledger.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Dongattack posted:

The total of my personal combat skill?

The shield with two crossed swords under traits that also shows command modifiers.

Dongattack posted:

A detailed breakdown of my finances? I want to see if my mercenary company is actually making any real money, but i can't find them in the ledger.

It should be there if you open up your primary title.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The shield with two crossed swords under traits that also shows command modifiers.

It should be there if you open up your primary title.

Thank you! Turns out yeah, that merc company is making 5 gold, so that's nice.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I've coming back to CK2 after almost a year. What's the rundown on the new-ish expansions (the ones not listed in the outdated OP)?
Namely:

Jade Dragon (guess this is only useful if you're playing a nomad through Horse Lords or otherwise near China? Can you play China?)
Monks and Mystics
The Reaper's Due (health and plagues?)
Conclave (has poor reviews, worth it?)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

evenworse username posted:

This is absolutely true. I'm not sure why it works out that way but when some guy I've got +60 relations with suddenly has my spymaster killed I don't blame the game, I'm like 'youuuuuu son of a biiiiiitch'.

One thing I genuinely don't understand is why when my heir inherits and I go and look who they have appointed as commanders its consistently a bunch of dudes with Martial under 10. I guess the AI is prioritizing the minor opinion bump over actually having commanders who know what they're doing?

There are basically four major things to watch out for when choosing commanders:
1) combat modifiers and combat specializations (these are fairly self-explanatory)
2) character culture (certain cultures get special powerful tactics with certain army compositions, so powergamers often seek out commanders of those cultures)
3) character traits (aside from their combat modifiers, this also has a major effect on tactic selection - for example, a stuttering or cowardly character is far more likely to choose certain ineffective or self-destructive tactics)
4) martial score: acts as a multiplier on combat modifiers, and also influences tactic selection

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I've coming back to CK2 after almost a year. What's the rundown on the new-ish expansions (the ones not listed in the outdated OP)?
Namely:

Jade Dragon (guess this is only useful if you're playing a nomad through Horse Lords or otherwise near China? Can you play China?)
Monks and Mystics

Jade Dragon - You can actually interact with Chine in India, Tibet, the Steppes, or anywhere on the Silk Road, which can subtly change the dynamics of any nation in those areas. China is an off-map power, but they do have the on-map "Western Protectorate" you can play.

Monks and Mystics - adds secret societies for characters to join. Really only useful for Christians/Muslims unless you're going for false conversion shenanigans.

Reapers Due - expanded health and diseases. Fairly useful, but can be skipped.

Conclave - massively changes how the Council, child education, and ambitions work. Really makes the whole game better. Poor reviews are most likely because it's a lot tougher to build Nietchzean supermen every generation now.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think I had one of my favorite character moments recently when I was working my way up from being a count, wound up dying with 3 sons and gavelkind. My primary heir I had married off to the duchess of Provence, who was an imbecile, but even worse, she turned out to be gay when she came of age. My second heir I married off to the countess of Cremona, and the third heir was still a child when I died.

Naturally after inheriting a third of the demesne, I went and assassinated my kid brother so I'd still have enough for a duchy when I went independent, but I dragged my heels on killing my other brother after I saw he had a son, and my dumb gay wife was also spending most of her time in seclusion so there was pretty much no chance of getting lucky. I could've jumped the gun and just committed suicide because I was depressed, but I dragged my heels and spent a lot of time improving my demesne, refusing to join my liege's plot to revoke my brother's title, and not hiding from the plague, and eventually I died. Then it turned out my brother's son had gone and become duke of all of Lombardy! What a champ.

While all this was happening, the King of Italy/Bavaria/Lotharingia/Burgandy, my liege's liege, got converted into being Jewish by his wife I think, and he even successfully pulled off a holy war for Austria. I might've even tried converting if he was a little more successful, but eventually he died, and the only jewish remnant is the duke of Spoleto. The king after that set up an antipope and got embroiled in an unending hellwar (where all the belligerents kept seiging my territory despite not being significant to the war) until he finally died and his realm split in two, cleanly snipping off the tip of Lombardy and placing it out of my reach.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Technowolf posted:

Jade Dragon - You can actually interact with Chine in India, Tibet, the Steppes, or anywhere on the Silk Road, which can subtly change the dynamics of any nation in those areas. China is an off-map power, but they do have the on-map "Western Protectorate" you can play.

Monks and Mystics - adds secret societies for characters to join. Really only useful for Christians/Muslims unless you're going for false conversion shenanigans.

Reapers Due - expanded health and diseases. Fairly useful, but can be skipped.

Conclave - massively changes how the Council, child education, and ambitions work. Really makes the whole game better. Poor reviews are most likely because it's a lot tougher to build Nietchzean supermen every generation now.

Thanks! Looks like I'll pick them up during the Christmas sale.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Namely:

Monks and Mystics

Reapers Due and Conclave I think are worth it. Both add content for no matter who you play as. Monks and Mystics is ok, it's lacking for certain religions. Having satan restore your dick after you cut it off to cure the common cold is fun. Jade Dragon is fun, but if you primarily play west of the Byzantines and never interact with the silk road it's not worth it.

My one complaint about Monks and Jade Dragon is that it feels pay to win? It's not the right phrase, but the items you get from Hermetics and China can be super strong. Jade Dragon way more so.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Note that you don't have to be directly on the Silk Road to interact with China, just within a certain distance of it, from what I can tell.

Also, Mazdans, Zunists, and Taoists can join the Hermetics alongside the Abrahamic religions if you get M&M, basically anyone in the middle east can join the Assassins now, and nearly everyone can join some variation of Satanist, so, it's not just useful for Christians and Muslims.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
How do you see how many troops a tribal enemy can call up? Not just the single dude's, his potential from all his tribes too.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
I'm wanting to try a full ck2-HOI run, but I have no idea who to start with. Anyone got some weird rear end leaders from the Charlemagne start?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Roland Jones posted:

Note that you don't have to be directly on the Silk Road to interact with China, just within a certain distance of it, from what I can tell.

Also, Mazdans, Zunists, and Taoists can join the Hermetics alongside the Abrahamic religions if you get M&M, basically anyone in the middle east can join the Assassins now, and nearly everyone can join some variation of Satanist, so, it's not just useful for Christians and Muslims.

The exception is Buddhists, who still only have their monastic society. It's a really good society for them due to the Learning boost, but unfortunately it's just as hard to progress in as the Western monastics and you also have to be the right caste. I managed to become leader, but only with a sequence of four or five murders that took me 20+ years to get into position for. I'd never have managed it if I weren't immortal.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015

Technowolf posted:

You can't play the Western Protectorate.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Jedit posted:

The exception is Buddhists, who still only have their monastic society. It's a really good society for them due to the Learning boost, but unfortunately it's just as hard to progress in as the Western monastics and you also have to be the right caste. I managed to become leader, but only with a sequence of four or five murders that took me 20+ years to get into position for. I'd never have managed it if I weren't immortal.
They could at least give them some Mara-themed evil cult. Also, I have no idea how certain members of that society can achieve such a high score, I can be in that society for decades and do all the quests, but I will not be even close to leadership.
Does it give you some new options once you become a leader?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Any tips for adopting feudalism? I'm playing as Norway/half of Sweden right now and i have never been able to pull it off in the past cause people get super upset and i have so few troops after the flip.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Invade a good feudal area, convert, move your capital to your good feudal holdings.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

So I ended up doing a 769 Kingdom of Pala/Bengal/Bihar playthrough. Everything's going swimmingly, I moved to ultimogeniture ASAP, I've formed the empire of Pala; thanks to all of my neighbors being under gavelkind, every 20-30 years everything around me falls apart and I reap the rewards of child rulers dealing with succession wars. I'm fairly confident that in a generation or two, I'll be the Samrat Chakaravartin np and started pushing mooslim poo poo in asap. Owning 4 silk road trade posts has made this kind of easy mode, given that it's the year 878 and I have 60 ducat a month income and a four-barony capital holding that is fully upgraded.

But something funny happened. My ruler died, and no surprise at all, his genius heir was in the Hindu satanists cult. No big deal, didn't really want it, but it could be useful, right? After 20-30 years of ruling, he got the mission for the unholy pregnancy. What an opportunity! I promptly found a genius woman with some inheritable kingdom-level claims, murdered her husband, bribed her to come to my court, took her as a concubine, threw a Diwali festival and got her a gift to make her fall in love with me, and convinced her to join the cult of Kali Purusha. One unholy impregnation later, bada-bing bada-boom, I've got the son of Satan as my heir, a genius to boot. I whack her and my wife for good measure just to make sure we don't have any unexpected new heirs. (God, I just reread that, I'm a monster).

I check the flags, the kid definitely has demon_child, and the 'child is strange' events start firing off. Eventually my ruler dies and the demon spawn son takes the thrown. And now... nothing. He's not the leader of the Kali Purusha, he isn't possessed or a lunatic. He's just a really good ruler. I checked the flags again and he has child_is_strange_{1, 2, 3} and demon_child, but nothing at all cool like the stories I've read about. This demonic ruler was going to unite all of India and become the Samrat Chakaravartin and herald in a new age of terror for the subcontinent and put all of Islam on blast for their heresy and maybe even subjugate all of Tibet as well. What gives?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Midnight Voyager posted:

How do you see how many troops a tribal enemy can call up? Not just the single dude's, his potential from all his tribes too.

It's hard to know for sure. Your best bet is to go into the old Realm Tree and try eyeballing the numbers. If the dude you want to kerb-stomp can raise 1000 and he's got 5 vassals, all at 50%-80%, you're looking at 4500 all told. But then remember to check his Prestige - if he's got enough (500?), he can call up 2500 extra men. 1500 Prestige (if he's done a bunch of conquering) will get him a pretty big doomstack, considering your troops will be annihilated by attrition.

/\ /\ /\
You think the son of Satan is going to do what you want, foolish mortal?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Midnight Voyager posted:

Realm tree let's you see his vassals' troops at a glance too if I remember right.

They can also turn prestige and/or piety into event troops by decisions so you should check those out too.

Dongattack posted:

Any tips for adopting feudalism? I'm playing as Norway/half of Sweden right now and i have never been able to pull it off in the past cause people get super upset and i have so few troops after the flip.
I don't know if I was dreaming or remembering wrong but I think they've made it easier since where all same religion vassals can follow you regardless of their holding levels. So reform/convert, make sure all your vassals do the same, and then enact the decision.

If not the old fashioned way is to make sure all your vassals can convert by upgrading their holdings for them.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

zedprime posted:

I don't know if I was dreaming or remembering wrong but I think they've made it easier since where all same religion vassals can follow you regardless of their holding levels. So reform/convert, make sure all your vassals do the same, and then enact the decision.

If not the old fashioned way is to make sure all your vassals can convert by upgrading their holdings for them.

A lot of them got castles, but not all of them (all of them same faith as me, reformed norse). Overall tho it's going smoother than last time!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

DisgracelandUSA posted:

So I ended up doing a 769 Kingdom of Pala/Bengal/Bihar playthrough. Everything's going swimmingly, I moved to ultimogeniture ASAP, I've formed the empire of Pala; thanks to all of my neighbors being under gavelkind, every 20-30 years everything around me falls apart and I reap the rewards of child rulers dealing with succession wars. I'm fairly confident that in a generation or two, I'll be the Samrat Chakaravartin np and started pushing mooslim poo poo in asap. Owning 4 silk road trade posts has made this kind of easy mode, given that it's the year 878 and I have 60 ducat a month income and a four-barony capital holding that is fully upgraded.

But something funny happened. My ruler died, and no surprise at all, his genius heir was in the Hindu satanists cult. No big deal, didn't really want it, but it could be useful, right? After 20-30 years of ruling, he got the mission for the unholy pregnancy. What an opportunity! I promptly found a genius woman with some inheritable kingdom-level claims, murdered her husband, bribed her to come to my court, took her as a concubine, threw a Diwali festival and got her a gift to make her fall in love with me, and convinced her to join the cult of Kali Purusha. One unholy impregnation later, bada-bing bada-boom, I've got the son of Satan as my heir, a genius to boot. I whack her and my wife for good measure just to make sure we don't have any unexpected new heirs. (God, I just reread that, I'm a monster).

I check the flags, the kid definitely has demon_child, and the 'child is strange' events start firing off. Eventually my ruler dies and the demon spawn son takes the thrown. And now... nothing. He's not the leader of the Kali Purusha, he isn't possessed or a lunatic. He's just a really good ruler. I checked the flags again and he has child_is_strange_{1, 2, 3} and demon_child, but nothing at all cool like the stories I've read about. This demonic ruler was going to unite all of India and become the Samrat Chakaravartin and herald in a new age of terror for the subcontinent and put all of Islam on blast for their heresy and maybe even subjugate all of Tibet as well. What gives?

My guess is that even though they have the demon child flags, the actual spawn of Satan events will only fire for Christians.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Could just be that you're getting unlucky with MTTHs, but I think not being in the Kalu Purusha means the event doesn't work, at least for Hindus, as The Cheshire Cat suggests.

(Also this is a wonderfully CK2.txt post.)

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

My guess is that even though they have the demon child flags, the actual spawn of Satan events will only fire for Christians.

That's correct. There are 2 versions of it, one for the Abrahamic religions, and one for everyone else. The actual flags are demon_child and demon_child_non_pagan. I don't remember when they were added, but I'm guessing it was before Rajas came out.

It's one of the events that I mod so that it can fire for everyone.

e: If you're already playing as the demon child (non-adult), run event SoA.3001 to set the correct flag. If you're too old you won't get many of the events, but you should still get some of them.

binge crotching fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 11, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there a mod to remove the "dooo ta doo ta dooooooooo" trumpet jingle on almost every pop-up? Gets grating after a while.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
event for demon child says

quote:

religion_group = christian
religion_group = muslim
religion_group = zoroastrian_group
religion_group = jewish_group

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Dongattack posted:

Is there a mod to remove the "dooo ta doo ta dooooooooo" trumpet jingle on almost every pop-up? Gets grating after a while.

Ah, those CK1 flashbacks.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I went digging and it turns out there's two different events. The first is the Sons of Abraham spawn of satan event chain, which only applies to Christian, Muslims, Zoroastrians and Jews, and is the cool one with the kid that goes crazy and gets satan armies, etc. The other one is an Old Gods / Monks and Mystics event that triggers off of Unholy Impregnation. The child_strange flags come from events where the child, well, acts strange. If enough of them first before the kid is 16, you get to go through an exorcism rigamarole. The unholy impregnation can trigger the SOA events, and the SOA events can trigger the OG/MNM events, but the MNM unholy impregnation can only trigger the SOA events if you're of the correct religion.

Sadness. I might modify the files and do some hacky poo poo to make my fantasy of the far eastern terror play out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dwesa posted:

They could at least give them some Mara-themed evil cult. Also, I have no idea how certain members of that society can achieve such a high score, I can be in that society for decades and do all the quests, but I will not be even close to leadership.
Does it give you some new options once you become a leader?

No. Like I say, it's straight up caste-related. If you're of the appropriate caste you get big bonuses, if you're not you have to kill literally everyone in the society who is.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

No. Like I say, it's straight up caste-related. If you're of the appropriate caste you get big bonuses, if you're not you have to kill literally everyone in the society who is.

The Christian monastic orders are like that too. There is a massive bonus to your suitability score to become the leader of the order for being a priest which dwarfs any of the other bonuses from traits.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I used to wonder why the option to disable dynamic De Jure Drift was there, until today, when I attempted to give my son an island Duchy, and it ended up giving him, the island, the duchy, and 3 silk road counties, including the capital of my country, leaving me with one neighboring county. :sassargh:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Catalina posted:

I used to wonder why the option to disable dynamic De Jure Drift was there, until today, when I attempted to give my son an island Duchy, and it ended up giving him, the island, the duchy, and 3 silk road counties, including the capital of my country, leaving me with one neighboring county. :sassargh:
But counties don't de-jure drift into new duchies...?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

But counties don't de-jure drift into new duchies...?

Huh, even after 1500 hours, I'm still bad at this game learning the intricacies. I'm not really sure what went wrong, then. I was going to give my son Socotra (an island off of Africa and south of the Arabian Peninsula). De Jure it's part of the Titular Duchy of Socotra, but in-game in a practical way, it's part of the Emirate of Taizz (a Duchy in the Southwest Arabian Peninsula). I'm so used to the menu and going by feedback on what county is lit up, I didn't even think to check off-map when I hit the Duchy that Socotra belonged to. This is Ironman, so I guess that son is my chosen heir, now...

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I thought de-jure drift could happen when you just had the one ducal title and counties outside that duchy.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Nah, it only affects duchies going into kingdoms and kingdoms going into empires. That's why power gamers make a big deal out of duchies that have six counties.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Somebody mentioned non-Shia being able to join the assassins further up the page. It should be noted that while they can join, at a certain point in the recruitment process you have to convert to Shia or you don't get in. So you're not gonna be able to be a Mazdan assassin or something.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 12, 2017

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I've started turning de jure drift off by default recently. It's not a bad idea in theory but it's just kind of a weird mess with how the de jure system works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Gobblecoque posted:

I've started turning de jure drift off by default recently. It's not a bad idea in theory but it's just kind of a weird mess with how the de jure system works.

I like it for custom empires, which admittedly I don't use often. But I do like how when I did a big Jewish run I got the Kingdom of Israel and then made the custom Empire of Israel and eventually had stuff become de jure territory of that empire. It was cool.

• Locked thread