Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That's Mr. Kaneda to you, punk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I believe in Gwen. She will find a way...

..but if not, it’s been a wonderful run.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Is gotg also tying in to the Thanos comic?

I don't know where the Thanos comic is going, but I assumed Avengers 1 000 000 BC just because a ghost rider was present.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It's all headed somewhere. Thor might end up tying in. Mangog is about to wreck Asgard, and Hela was already smooching on Thanos in Unworthy Thor.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Read Waid's second Cap issue. It was better but I can see getting bored if it doesn't want to be anything but pleasant.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Teenage Fansub posted:

Read Waid's second Cap issue. It was better but I can see getting bored if it doesn't want to be anything but pleasant.

While I agree that "oh look everything is good and pleasant" is not a compelling long-term strategy for the book, I do think it needs to be noted how the first two issues of Waid and Samnee's Daredevil run felt like "everything is good and pleasant and Matt's just gonna smile again and it'll all be okay" for the first few issues too, and then Ikari showed up and said "try the red one."

I think it'll be just fine.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I picked up the first issue of Venom Inc. on a whim and it was surprisingly good! I didn't like (Edge of the) Venomverse and I'm not big on the current Venom series either, but I think I'm going to keep up with this one.

Flash's new Anti-Venom suit looks dope!

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
I liked the issue to, and I love the idea of the design, but I do want them to actually, you know, touch on how wrong Spider-Man is.

"Hey, Flash! I made you literally poisonous to the touch of your best friend that you made into a hero and I refuse to believe is anything but a monster!"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

cap just being pleasant might get boring but it's also probably necessary at this point after secret empire. giving him some time to distance himself from that mess isn't a bad idea

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

KaosMachina posted:

I liked the issue to, and I love the idea of the design, but I do want them to actually, you know, touch on how wrong Spider-Man is.

"Hey, Flash! I made you literally poisonous to the touch of your best friend that you made into a hero and I refuse to believe is anything but a monster!"

The characterization is a little weird, yeah. Peter has had plenty of positive experiences with the symbiote, even as recently as the end of Venom: Space Knight last year. Maybe he just wants to eliminate the chances of Eddie getting his hands back on the symbiote at all costs.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The venom symbiote has the most inconsistent characterization in the entire marvel universe, it's fine.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

The venom symbiote has the most inconsistent characterization in the entire marvel universe, it's fine.

:crossarms:
Even more so then say, any of the avengers during any event of the past decade or so?

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Lurdiak posted:

I mean, it seems consistent to me. Mentally unstable, turned people into monsters, went back home for Space Therapy after actually finding a supportive partner, then after coming back to where it's lived most of its life they have a nasty breakup due to forces outside their control, they wound up bonding with someone who had some features in common with their old partner but turned out to be a con artist and a scumbag underneath, and eventually fell in with their old abusive partner who was always bad for them and is up to old habits.

Venom has the worst romantic luck in the Marvel universe.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

KaosMachina posted:

I mean, it seems consistent to me. Mentally unstable, turned people into monsters, went back home for Space Therapy after actually finding a supportive partner, then after coming back to where it's lived most of its life they have a nasty breakup due to forces outside their control, they wound up bonding with someone who had some features in common with their old partner but turned out to be a con artist and a scumbag underneath, and eventually fell in with their old abusive partner who was always bad for them and is up to old habits.

Venom has the worst romantic luck in the Marvel universe.

No wonder it enjoyed being bonded with Carol Danvers that one time, they're kindred souls!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

As Shattered Heroes heats up, the hunt for Marcus Johnson begins. Many people are hunting for him, but why? And what is the mysterious origin of this new major player in the Marvel Universe? Find out this November as Chris Yost, Matt Fraction, Cullen Bunn & Scot Eaton bring you BATTLE SCARS #1!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Postal Parcel posted:

:crossarms:
Even more so then say, any of the avengers during any event of the past decade or so?

From one story to the other it's a neutral alien entity trying to make sense of human emotions and getting it wrong, a font of pure evil and madness, a pure-hearted creature twisted by the dark recesses of the human mind, etc. It changes wildly from story to story, sometimes in stories by the same writer. Even its history and origins have changed at least 3 times that I know of.

KaosMachina posted:

I mean, it seems consistent to me. Mentally unstable, turned people into monsters, went back home for Space Therapy

God don't even get me started on those stupid Bendis retcons.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The symbiote's characterization has at least been consistent since those retcons, which its current personality shifts being actually part of the story

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So that's what, a whole 2 and a half years? I guess that is some kind of record.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Is it even supposed to be the same creature as opposed to like, the same species?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Nilbop posted:

Is it even supposed to be the same creature as opposed to like, the same species?

yes it's always been the same symbiote

none of the other ones are even black and white except the one cloned directly off it

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blockhouse posted:

yes it's always been the same symbiote

none of the other ones are even black and white except the one cloned directly off it

They don't have the white spider because they never bonded with Spider-Man, but regular symbiotes are black with white eyes

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Even if you consider Planet of the Symbiotes (original flavor) no longer canon, there was a very venom-like symbiote in... I wanna say Guardians of the Galaxy? 10 years or so ago. Once again it just didn't have a spider.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was Monster-Ock from the Spider-Man PS1 game ever in any comics?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Wheat Loaf posted:

No.

:(

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I refuse to believe Gwenpool is ending in 2 issues.

According to Hawkeye, Vegas was destroyed, so I dunno how Ben is running around there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Considering how ginormously popular the symbiotes were back in the day, it's a wonder the Carnage symbiote didn't end up on more of Spidey's villains.

Although it did inexplicably bond with Silver Surfer the one time, giving us the CARNAGE COSMIC.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

twistedmentat posted:

I refuse to believe Gwenpool is ending in 2 issues.
Good news then, because there seems to be a storyline running through at least issue 26? Sales on the book aren't spectacular but it's leveled out faster than a lot of other books and is selling around 15,000 for its 20-something-th issue, not its sixth. It's doing above average in trades, and has a pretty big online following so I'm guessing it might be doing solidly digitally. I have no inside information but it seems like it's not in any immediate danger of cancelation.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Edge & Christian posted:

Good news then, because there seems to be a storyline running through at least issue 26? Sales on the book aren't spectacular but it's leveled out faster than a lot of other books and is selling around 15,000 for its 20-something-th issue, not its sixth. It's doing above average in trades, and has a pretty big online following so I'm guessing it might be doing solidly digitally. I have no inside information but it seems like it's not in any immediate danger of cancelation.

site posted:

Welp, Gwenpool was the only marvel book i actually cared about still and

If it's not actually cancelled then Hastings has played me and dangit im mad as heck about it

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

If it's not actually cancelled then Hastings has played me and dangit im mad as heck about it

You mean a comic that is completely meta in tone might have made a joke intended to blur the lines between what is real or not? Who could have seen this coming?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What should I be reading, Marvel-wise right now? Most of the stuff that interested me about Marvel when I was in a bookstore recently was retro stuff (aside from Deadpool which is still very enjoyable) like Kraven's Last Hunt, recent Hulk runs by Waid and Aaron, etc.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What should I be reading, Marvel-wise right now? Most of the stuff that interested me about Marvel when I was in a bookstore recently was retro stuff (aside from Deadpool which is still very enjoyable) like Kraven's Last Hunt, recent Hulk runs by Waid and Aaron, etc.

Gwenpool
Ms.Marvel
Guardians of the Galaxy (for the two issues it has left)
I liked the Avengers/Champions cross-over, but I can't speak the quality of the individual series
Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man
All-New Wolverine
Jean Grey (for the two issues that got left)
X-Men Blue
X-Men Gold
Mighty Thor

That's all that comes to mind now. Might be more. Been on a DC kick because of Rebirth so Marvel been pushed out of my mind a bit.

Covok fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 10, 2017

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Covok posted:

Gwenpool
Ms.Marvel
Guardians of the Galaxy (for the two issues it has left)
I liked the Avengers/Champions cross-over, but I can't speak the quality of the individual series

Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man
All-New Wolverine
Jean Grey (for the two issues that got left)
X-Men Blue
X-Men Gold

Add Thor, Hawkeye and depending on whether you like positive humor, Squirrel Girl to that and you've got my list.
Though, Ms. Marvel has been a bit of a grind lately.

Oh! And Hulk (or as it's called now again, She-Hulk) is also quite good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Blue is better than Gold.

Covok
May 27, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

Add Thor, Hawkeye and depending on whether you like positive humor, Squirrel Girl to that and you've got my list.
Though, Ms. Marvel has been a bit of a grind lately.

Oh! And Hulk (or as it's called now again, She-Hulk) is also quite good.

Thor! You're right. Definitely read Thor. Jason Aaron's Thor is like one of the best runs. Possibly better than Walter Simonson!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Aphrodite posted:

Blue is better than Gold.

Sorry, I forgot to strike out Gold too.
I guess I'm not that much into X-men. But Jean Grey is a lot of fun.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Are the comics CM Punk wrote any good? IIRC he wrote a Drax miniseries and some Thor stories

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Are the comics CM Punk wrote any good? IIRC he wrote a Drax miniseries and some Thor stories

His Master of Kung Fu one shot was great. It's where the thread title comes from.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I really liked his Drax mini, actually.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Drax was fantastic. Fin Fang Farmer is top tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Thor/Mephisto drinking contest was pretty drat funny. The page with the drink names pops up in the funny panels thread regularly.

• Locked thread