Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Covok posted:

Really? I didn't read an issue before it so that leaves me baffled. We're talking about the same one, right? Where the nun gets stabbed? How bad was it before that this was the first positively reviewed one?
What did you find confusing about it? Priest's Deathstroke (and now his Justice League) is about the only Rebirth book actually keeping me interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Edge & Christian posted:

What did you find confusing about it? Priest's Deathstroke (and now his Justice League) is about the only Rebirth book actually keeping me interested.

Oh, I didn't find the issue confusing...I just am surprised that it's the first "good one" since I found pretty forgettable. Like nothing really stood out. Green Lantern, Cyborg, and Superman got wrapped up in dealing with space tourists who thought of humans as the space amish because they thought they were invading (without any of the cool bits of actually showing them interacting, just it all being explained) and Batman botching a hostage situation and a disaster relief mission in one go leading to the death of people. Which is actually kind of interesting now that I wrote it out, but I don't remember feeling anything while reading it. In hindsight, it is actually good to have a story that doesn't just give Batman a handjob and shows him loving up bigtime on a simple mistake anyone could make.

Well, I guess I'll see where it goes, it's just that I picked it up since it was a new but I remember just shrugging so hearing it's this amazing quality jump confuses me.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Edge & Christian posted:

You didn't like Superman?

Genuinely asking, I'm just curious because I don't recall you saying anything about which Rebirth books you liked and disliked.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BC are talking/speculating out they butts about post-Berganza shake-ups.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12/10/dc-comics-editorial-musical-chairs/
Rebecca Taylor, who is editing Metal alone without Eddie will head Justice League, Brian Cunningham takes over Supermans.
Incidentally, Christopher Priest was expected to edit the Batman group and decided not to, and Bendis will do Action Comics from #1001.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Im guessing plans are now slightly in flux since bendis almost died and stuff

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I legit loved Chris Priest's first issue of JL. I thought it was a solid chapter that really conveyed the messy multitasking nature of the JL facing off multiple threats and Batman's mistake made complete sense and was reasonably and not overly melodramatic. It's a really well handled take on a more politicised JL so far and I'd be interested in seeing where that goes.

I really hope Priest sticks around cause I trust him as one of the few writers to handle a more down to earth political tone for JL as a change of pace from big existential threats.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I want to read the pitch for Elongated Man Loves Booster Gold. Get a series bible on my desk by noon

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Totally unrelated to the current topic, but I've been reading the DC Adventures: DC Universe sourcebook because that's how empty and hollow my life is. It's amazing to me how much continuity existed in the DC Universe between Crisis on Infinite Earths and Flashpoint. Given what year this was written, 2010, it pretty much has the entirety of the continuity (or as much as Green Ronin choice to document) of DCU's continuity between those two reboots. And they cover a lot. Like every country, the past, present, and future (even Legion of Superheroes), all the realms, they describe every universe (they even stat out the entire zoo crew), and they even go into enough detail for you to get a gist of in-universe continuity of these places. In short, it's just interesting to me how much poo poo accumulated over the years in this one universe. Like, there was a lot of poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The DC RPG books were awesome. I owned a ton of the Mayfair manuals and they worked very closely with DC editorial to make sure the info was correct. So many historical tidbits in those pages.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rhyno posted:

The DC RPG books were awesome. I owned a ton of the Mayfair manuals and they worked very closely with DC editorial to make sure the info was correct. So many historical tidbits in those pages.

It certainly shows. They got detailed info on Gemworld and Amethyst (as well as a full write-up on her). I mean, that's some obscure stuff they're pulling. The Heroes & Villains manual must have been hard to write. Like, the entry on Donna Troy starts with "“Who is Donna Troy?” is a tricky question, even for her." I mean, with all the retcons and junk, what do you go with? Also, putting Donna Troy in the "T" section is annoying.

Covok fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 11, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Even accounting for Batman's booboo, I liked that the JL were depicted as a strategic, well-oiled team with organized protocols for different sorts of emergencies, as opposed to a group of schlubs that just got together 'cuz they have really powerful superpowers or whatever. It felt very post-Crisis. I wouldn't mind them expanding the team roster a bit at this point either.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Roth posted:

You didn't like Superman?

Genuinely asking, I'm just curious because I don't recall you saying anything about which Rebirth books you liked and disliked.
I forgot about two other books I've enjoyed, though the fact that they slipped my mind is probably a little damning.

I'm reading it in trades, but New Super Man is a lot of fun and I'm glad Yang found a groove after his troubled Superman run.

Also Steve Orlando's JLA (and before that, Midnighter + Apollo) are nothing groundbreaking but they're fun and I always enjoy a book that pokes around and plays in the vein of half-forgotten bits and bobs of continuity. It's pretty clear Orlando read the exact same mid-level DC books that I did as a teen at the turn of the century, so it's fun to see Prometheus and the Ace of Winchesters and Neron and etc. etc. pop up. I can also see how that's just annoying if you're not in the target demo.

As for everything else:

I was reading Superman (and for a shorter period, Action) but lost interest in both.

Action because I remembered a few issues in that Dan Jurgens was writing it. I came back for THE OZ EFFECT out of morbid curiosity and wow, that was a special kind of bad.

Superman was charming enough at first but in general I think I'm less enchanted by Tomasi's writing and the Supersons in general than most people and I gave up during the one-two punch of those dumb National Monuments Tour issues and all of the fill-ins.

Batman is interesting I guess, but on the whole King's "comics as poetry" thing doesn't work for me and everything else feels more like a bag of clever tricks more than a satisfying story/character study.

I feel the same way about Mister Miracle, with the added distaste of whatever faux-edgy Identity Crisis style of "using old Kirby verbiage to let you know THIS ISN'T A COMIC FOR FUCKIN' KIDS, GRANDPA" or whatever he thinks he's doing there.

I really liked the first arc of All-Star Batman but Snyder lost me again with subsequent arcs and whatever the gently caress Metal is.

Detective Comics feels like the Batman version of mid 1990s Fabian Nicieza time-marking X-Men soap opera comics and I respect the craft and know there's a market for it, but it's not me.

Wonder Woman seemed pleasant enough but I always think Rucka reads better in trades and after his run turned out to be a) relatively short and b) lukewarmly received I haven't gotten around to revisiting it.

The Flash was praised but I got to the goofy-rear end Shade arc and tapped out.

Suicide Squad was trying something that wasn't the Ostrander run but still was enjoyable for the first trade or two but kind of petered out and started crossing over with a lot of things I wasn't following (I liked JLA vs Suicide Squad though)

I don't think I read anything else past the first Rebirth one-shot, if I even did that.

As for Priest's Justice League: I agree with what BrianWilly said about it, and honestly my favorite thing about it was that the pitch for the story/arc was "When the Justice League is confronted by three concurrent threats, a sleep-deprived Batman makes a crucial error that causes an unthinkable—and potentially unforgivable—tragedy." and when this sort of story happens it's usually "you let an ocean liner full of nuns and orphans sink" or "that skyscraper full of living saints had a plane fly into it" or "whoops, someone nuked Buenos Aires" or "oh no, two planets collided and exploded, killing everyone on both" or whatever.

Reading the story with that knowledge, you see giant alien spaceships and enormous natural disasters and all that stuff come up on the League's radar and you wait for Batman to slip and accidentally doom millions of lives. But no, they are the Justice League, they handle these potential holocausts like professionals. But Batman gets a little careless on a dumb hostage situation (yes, involving nuns) and ONE PERSON dies and honestly, that's enough for them to all be shocked and saddened. It borders on metafiction about the League as the Pantheon and Superhero Comic Tropes or whatever, but it's refreshing to see a story with high stakes and (so far) a single digit body count. I think that helped a lot.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Flash gets a lot of praise because it's the first ongoing comic half its current readers ever read. It's incredibly uncreative and clunky all the way through and the art's nothing worth looking at, to boot.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Re: Dan Jurgens, when did he start being poison? I remember him being regarded as a solid but not spectacular workman, both his art and writing. I also really enjoyed his Thor run when it was new, at least the parts with JRJR. I should go back and see what I think now. I'm sure it will pass my personal initial Thor run test at the very least, which is "better than JMS"

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 11, 2017

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I wouldn't call him poison, but I can't think of anything he's written in the past twenty years that isn't pretty much the platonic ideal of a journeyman writer being told "hey we need twelve issues of forgettable water treading content featuring the following character". I remember his Thor at least being kind of novel (it goes into the future where Thor is the Allfather?) but in general he's never going to be terrible but he's not going to ever rise above replacement level Okay Comics. And that really isn't enough for me to want to read your story.

To be fair MISTER OZ was actually a special kind of terrible and I came back to witness that. But in general this is why I keep giving people like James Robinson and Peter Milligan and Keith Giffen and Ann Nocenti and Mark Waid and yes, Brian Michael Bendis (or even a Chris Claremont or Frank Miller) chance after chance; they may strike out a lot these days, they may all have some really bad comics on their record, but they're usually at least trying something different. All of them have done great things, all of them have done terrible things (with differing batting averages, certainly) but rarely do they do anything predictable and mediocre. Dan Jurgens has neither the highs nor the lows on his resume, and that tends to be kind of boring.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Right around the time he and Brett Breeding stopped working together.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

The Flash was praised but I got to the goofy-rear end Shade arc and tapped out.

Shade from Starman!??! Or the agency SHADE, or Rac Shade the Changing Man?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I really liked the Lois and Clark miniseries, but everything else has been quintessential comics dinosaur dullness.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Edge & Christian posted:

I wouldn't call him poison, but I can't think of anything he's written in the past twenty years that isn't pretty much the platonic ideal of a journeyman writer being told "hey we need twelve issues of forgettable water treading content featuring the following character". I remember his Thor at least being kind of novel (it goes into the future where Thor is the Allfather?) but in general he's never going to be terrible but he's not going to ever rise above replacement level Okay Comics. And that really isn't enough for me to want to read your story.

To be fair MISTER OZ was actually a special kind of terrible and I came back to witness that. But in general this is why I keep giving people like James Robinson and Peter Milligan and Keith Giffen and Ann Nocenti and Mark Waid and yes, Brian Michael Bendis (or even a Chris Claremont or Frank Miller) chance after chance; they may strike out a lot these days, they may all have some really bad comics on their record, but they're usually at least trying something different. All of them have done great things, all of them have done terrible things (with differing batting averages, certainly) but rarely do they do anything predictable and mediocre. Dan Jurgens has neither the highs nor the lows on his resume, and that tends to be kind of boring.

Yeah, that squares with my opinion. Jurgens is probably best when he's actively part of something bigger, he did well enough for himself as one of the Superman crew during the Triangle period. But by himself he seems to get lost in the weeds of boring. For some reason, I always thought of him as a far less-talented Jerry Ordway.

But to all of the above, my brain keeps saying "except for Thor", I really got to reread that one.

Thor had the Odinforce and was king of Asgard in the last part of Jurgens' run, but I can't remember if the future was involved. You might be conflating it with the beginning of Aaron's run?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Shade from Starman!??! Or the agency SHADE, or Rac Shade the Changing Man?

Probably the first one since he started out as a Flash villain. Btw did he get New 52'd back into his original featureless state or is he still an Oscar Wilde larping cool immortal guy?

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 11, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The praise for Priest's JL is making me sad that it was sold out at my shop, but also really happy that the owner's going to order an extra copy just for me.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

site posted:

Im guessing plans are now slightly in flux since bendis almost died and stuff

Wait what?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Top Gun posted:

Wait what?

He got a really bad virus and almost died. He's better now though. But it was apparently quite a scare.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Covok posted:

He got a really bad virus and almost died. He's better now though. But it was apparently quite a scare.

The mouse don't play around...

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
I've a rough time with team comics and Teen Titans are the only ongoing one I like right now. Even that might fade depending on what they do next. I wasn't entirely thrilled with Black Manta as villain. I thought it would be cool to have Ra's as more of a recurring threat for them, but I'm dreading the upcoming arcs where Trigon is coming and Deathstroke wants revenge for Jericho and Brother Blood tries to steal all their powers (I don't know if these are solicited, and I know the Jericho one doesn't make sense given Deathstroke's ongoing, but that's what they do with Teen Titans).

I've dropped Detective Comics more or less. I don't like the team, find the stories drag on way too long, and so far most've been 'Look at what Batman did, it's ruining everything,' which I hate. It's probably the only comic I know of that hasn't had some improvement since Flashpoint. Opinion, obviously.

I thought the new JLA was good, but I have to agree with the poster above that it didn't really do anything really noteworthy. I was dreading another 'poo poo on Batman' comic but I think it handled it pretty well. Of course I'm expecting more to come from the story.

The new series should be interesting. The big ones seem a lot like some Marvel stuff (Damage like Hulk, Sideways like Spider-man, Terrifics like Fantastic Four). It's based on incredibly superficial ideas (Damage is big and strong! Sideways looks like an agile hero, Terrifics is science team). Immortal Men is probably what I'm looking forward to the most, it seems the most novel.

Still holding onto Wild Storm. It's going slow but Ellis seems to have a plan and things seem to be about to heat up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Damage #1 is the best Hulk comic ive read in over a year.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Rhyno posted:

Damage #1 is the best Hulk comic ive read in over a year.

Unpopular opinion I'm sure but I thought She-Hulk was good. Only read the first couple story arcs, but I suppose the sadist in me prefers her to have crippling panic disorder as opposed to nymphomania. But that's getting off topic.

I think the hour-long aspect will be interesting but I'm not sure where they're going to go with it. Stay in the military a bit, fight some armies and supervillains, then another Damage prototype gets made and turns evil and he has to stop him but breaks away from the military in doing so. But where do you go from there? Is he on the run from secret military project squad? How close to Hulk would it go? I don't know much of the writers work, apparently he did a shitton of X-O Manowar. Demon Knights I liked. Don't know about the other runs.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Y'all need to buy some avatars toot sweet.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Covok posted:

Totally unrelated to the current topic, but I've been reading the DC Adventures: DC Universe sourcebook because that's how empty and hollow my life is. It's amazing to me how much continuity existed in the DC Universe between Crisis on Infinite Earths and Flashpoint. Given what year this was written, 2010, it pretty much has the entirety of the continuity (or as much as Green Ronin choice to document) of DCU's continuity between those two reboots. And they cover a lot. Like every country, the past, present, and future (even Legion of Superheroes), all the realms, they describe every universe (they even stat out the entire zoo crew), and they even go into enough detail for you to get a gist of in-universe continuity of these places. In short, it's just interesting to me how much poo poo accumulated over the years in this one universe. Like, there was a lot of poo poo.

They're good books. Don't know if Inkslinger is still around, but he worked on them. He discussed how they had plans for more stuff, like the DC 1,000,000 characters.

Still never played it, but they're fun books to study and imagine stuff.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Lightning Lord posted:

Probably the first one since he started out as a Flash villain. Btw did he get New 52'd back into his original featureless state or is he still an Oscar Wilde larping cool immortal guy?

Shade actually got a mini in the New 52 that more or less explicitly ignore the reboot and continued from where he left off from Starman.

He's ostensibly the same when he shows up in Flash but Williamson is completely unable to write concise, snappy dialogue which is probably the most important thing about writing Shade.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Lightning Lord posted:

Thor had the Odinforce and was king of Asgard in the last part of Jurgens' run, but I can't remember if the future was involved. You might be conflating it with the beginning of Aaron's run?
Nah, the future part totally happened. It was one of those dystopian "Thor became a fascist king and a resistance rises up to dethrone him, led by his future son, but then he realizes the error of his ways and travels back in time to stop it all from ever happening" kind of things.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

BrianWilly posted:

Nah, the future part totally happened. It was one of those dystopian "Thor became a fascist king and a resistance rises up to dethrone him, led by his future son, but then he realizes the error of his ways and travels back in time to stop it all from ever happening" kind of things.

I remember this too, when I did a huge read of thor a few years back. Basically, Thor becomes the King, and then like gets attacked by Terrorist Catholic Suicide Bombers or... essentially religious dudes in-universe freak because "You're not a god." Then he kills his human side and decides that he's been too lenient and he can make the world better. Then in the interim years he kills the Avengers when they try to stop him, becomes king, Marries the Enchantress, everyone is super happy and drunk all the time because there's no work because Thor Provides. But then it turns out Loki and the Enchantress have been Gestapoing people who disagree with Thor and his Son finds out and yeah, gets the resistance together, Thor goes back in time, forces his young self to re-merge with his human self, and averts the future.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Loki is Sorcerer Supreme in that future and he has all of Dr Strange's paraphernalia, which I liked.

Jurgens Thor is absolutely best when JRJR is drawing it and even then it's not all great all the time, and the problem is the writing more than the art. The one bit I always go back to is how Jake Olson is arrested for stealing drugs from the hospital where he's a paramedic and many issues earlier we'd seen his partner stealing drugs, selling them and plotting to pin it on Jake, except it turns out he's actually an undercover detective, then Loki reveals that Jake Olson actually was stealing and selling drugs and he joined Thor with Jake as a prank, then there's this very confusing twist where Jake actually has an evil twin brother who was the real bad guy and was framing him (I think he might have been Loki in disguise), but it doesn't change the fact that Jurgens made a point of Jake's partner being shown to be a drug dealer and scheming to frame Jake himself.

Thor vs Mangog and Thanos was pretty cool, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Roth posted:

The praise for Priest's JL is making me sad that it was sold out at my shop, but also really happy that the owner's going to order an extra copy just for me.

Protip: Your comic shop will order you anything that's available from Diamond unless they are awful assholes.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Especially if you’re buying 100 floppies a month...

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Jordan7hm posted:

Especially if you’re buying 100 floppies a month...

Why are you admitting to pirating?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

Why are you admitting to pirating?
He said buying, not copying.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Endless Mike posted:

Protip: Your comic shop will order you anything that's available from Diamond unless they are awful assholes.

No, I'm special!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Endless Mike posted:

He said buying, not copying.

Well obviously they are copying something onto those floppy disks!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

People don't actually think I pirate, do they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Roth posted:

People don't actually think I pirate, do they?

No, I think you buy a lot of single issues.