Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

It isn't that monk is good. It's that monk looks good. :shepface:

Realtalk, I like the core gameplay that monk has always had, which is still enough to keep me interested, and both the tackle buffs and Brotherhood are fun, if nothing spectacular. Riddle of Fire, though, is a gigantic fart; it's the pure essence of an ability that is useful mathematically but feels bad and not remotely fun to use. The job is just begging for either a GL4 or an instant full GL stacks move. Last we heard from Yoshi is that they would need to crunch a whole lot of numbers to make that "balanced", but that isn't particularly sympathetic seeing as how that's what they do, and there's probably already a million theorycraft threads out there that have already done this.

There's also the nagging feeling that Warrior, as my secondary, actually does more DPS than Monk when I off-tank thanks to regular 15-20k Fel Cleave crits.

Oh well. Maybe 4.2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Riddle of Fire makes your big numbers bigger, which means it is Cool and Good. Also it means you don't care about TP anymore.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

See that's cool I like big numbers but I also like going fast

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Mazed posted:

See that's cool I like big numbers but I also like going fast

This is precisely why I play Ninja. To be honest, I play classes based solely on aesthetic. Except Ninja, I need to go fast.

Also how do you use the RAF item that lets you teleport to your sprout?

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 11, 2017

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Sarrisan posted:

leveling machinist wasn't especially fun but frankly, what class is? everything always sucks before 70.

personally I like machinist, and if my static ever needs a new ranged player i might consider switching from dragoon.

I just got BLM to 60 and I am actually having a newfound appreciation for the class.

Of course, I probably would have had a pretty rough time given what I was hearing about Enochian back in HW.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Skaw posted:

Yeah, dealing with the Heat mechanic for 10 whole levels before your first tool that even makes use of it is absolute trash.

Oh, okay. I was wondering why I couldn't seem to do anything about that. :shepicide:

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

MechaX posted:

I just got BLM to 60 and I am actually having a newfound appreciation for the class.

Of course, I probably would have had a pretty rough time given what I was hearing about Enochian back in HW.

if you think it's fun now, just wait until you have triple-cast and foul. you'll wonder how the hell you ever managed without them.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Sarrisan posted:

if you think it's fun now, just wait until you have triple-cast and foul. you'll wonder how the hell you ever managed without them.

I never use BLM in synced content, it's just so un-fun. I need triple-cast and foul for that sick AOE damage.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

What is actually the setup for Foul > 5x Flare > Foul, anyway? Or maybe it was just 4x but I remember it being a lot of Flares.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

Thundarr posted:

What is actually the setup for Foul > 5x Flare > Foul, anyway? Or maybe it was just 4x but I remember it being a lot of Flares.

At least one stack of astral heart or whatever it's called for 2 flares, convert for the third, an ether and/or manashift for any past that. I think.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Thundarr posted:

Should be 4 flares I think. Foul > B4 -> F3 > Flare > Flare > Convert > Flare > Potion > Flare > Foul. This depends on foul timers matching up and you could also use triplecast + swiftcast to make all 4 flares instant cast.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Martman posted:

Riddle of Fire makes your big numbers bigger, which means it is Cool and Good. Also it means you don't care about TP anymore.

I use Riddle of Fire and Brotherhood to pop all your cooldowns, and then get your chakras recharged by the party before Riddle of Fire is down for double Forbidden Chakra. That's how you use it.

I still consider Monk my main, even with all other DPS maxed, I like it, and the last thing it needs is a ton more buttons. But the Shoulder Tackle thing is an utter joke I'll agree.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's a thread about Holy on Reddit right now.

The OP:
Holy is your best damage mitigation! ----- Very good

Comments:
Remember to pop Cleric/Pom/Thin Air and Swiftcast your first one ----- Very good
Remember to throw Aero 3 in after the first one ----- Very good
No, don't Swiftcast your first holy, SC your Aero 3 ----- Now, now let's not be silly
I can't do it because tanks pull too much ----- Please try to understand the concept of the thread
I save Thin Air for emergencies and I don't have MP troubles ----- DUMB
It costs too much MP ----- BLM does not have this issue, you don't deserve Holy, re-roll.
STOP USING HOLY! BLOOD PRICE! IF I HAVE BLOOD PRICE UP, USE SINGLE TARGET! ----- Sorry, can't hear you back there on the previous pull over the sound of my exploding Holy while wrestling with the UI to initiate votekick so I can get a good tank job in who appreciates the art of holy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/7iv88g/improve_your_white_maging_with_this_easy_and/

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There's a thread about Holy on Reddit right now.

The OP:
Holy is your best damage mitigation! ----- Very good

Comments:
Remember to pop Cleric/Pom/Thin Air and Swiftcast your first one ----- Very good
Remember to throw Aero 3 in after the first one ----- Very good
No, don't Swiftcast your first holy, SC your Aero 3 ----- Now, now let's not be silly
I can't do it because tanks pull too much ----- Please try to understand the concept of the thread
I save Thin Air for emergencies and I don't have MP troubles ----- DUMB
It costs too much MP ----- BLM does not have this issue, you don't deserve Holy, re-roll.
STOP USING HOLY! BLOOD PRICE! IF I HAVE BLOOD PRICE UP, USE SINGLE TARGET! ----- Sorry, can't hear you back there on the previous pull over the sound of my exploding Holy while wrestling with the UI to initiate votekick so I can get a good tank job in who appreciates the art of holy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/7iv88g/improve_your_white_maging_with_this_easy_and/

gently caress those last people. The answer is always more AOE damage.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm playing from the start, still around level 20, liking the game a lot so far.

But I'm feeling a bit of disconnect with my Archer storyline. My character is a Mi`Quote, and the writing is clearly meant to be race agnostic, so while I'm doing this I have to sit here and play mediator while Silvairre is a racist jackass to Leih.

It's making me super hate him, at least.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Lalas are the only race it's okay to hate.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Well there are no Lalafell involved here

Just an Elezen the game won't allow me to throw across the room

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm playing from the start, still around level 20, liking the game a lot so far.

But I'm feeling a bit of disconnect with my Archer storyline. My character is a Mi`Quote, and the writing is clearly meant to be race agnostic, so while I'm doing this I have to sit here and play mediator while Silvairre is a racist jackass to Leih.

It's making me super hate him, at least.

don't worry, a year from now you won't remember any of those character's names

you'll scarcely even remember what the archer class quests were about

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hommando posted:

Lalas are the only race it's okay to hate.

Au Ra are fair game too

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I tend to consider my formative/early level storyline elements a lot when thinking about my MMO characters, so I'll probably have his memory stick around for a while

I mean it's no big deal I only see him once every five levels I just

really hate the guy

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

I tend to consider my formative/early level storyline elements a lot when thinking about my MMO characters, so I'll probably have his memory stick around for a while

I mean it's no big deal I only see him once every five levels I just

really hate the guy

that questline is over at level 30, from there you pick up a new questline where you make a sad old bard feel less sad about stuff

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Oh boy.

I hear the Monk questline is also infested with jerks.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'd say that Machinist has the highest jerk-to-story ratio, and you get to shoot them in the face.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Mazed posted:

I was a catgirl, but just did a fantasia and my neck grew like the mighty oak. And everything else.

Elf is underrated. This turned out good.

And speaking of things under-played, I utterly refuse to give up Monk.

:hfive: I love my peevish librarian zombie giraffe Tallafell Duskwight.

Ibblebibble posted:

I'd say that Machinist has the highest jerk-to-story ratio, and you get to shoot them in the face.

The whole 30-60 Machinist quest line is basically your nerdy D&D loving club showing up the the biggest, preppiest jerks in all of Ishgard. So basically the Mars University episode of Futurama.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

the shooty roe dude in those MCH quests really, really fancied the old biddy female fisher guildmaster Sisipu in 1.0

he was a huge creeper and needs taking out behind a shed

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Josuke Higashikata posted:

the shooty roe dude in those MCH quests really, really fancied the old biddy female fisher guildmaster Sisipu in 1.0

he was a huge creeper and needs taking out behind a shed

I had no idea that this was why he was basically run out of Limsa.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 11, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd assume there's another reason I don't remember why that was but "is a bit of a pedo" is as good a reason as any

at least she's pulling the appropriate face for this

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 11, 2017

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Ibblebibble posted:

Can we argue for GLD/PLD if we consider bring offensively bland a jerkish behaviour?

Please SE, make the 71-80 PLD NPC an expy for FF9's Beatrix.

And then have her teach Stock Break and Climhazzard.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I don't remember much about the GLD jerk other than fixing matches and forming a gang because Aldis said no. Which, relative to MCH haughty rear end in a top hat knight, is pretty drat petty to say the least.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Does the MCH questline ever touch on cool Allagen poo poo? Because that seems obvious territory for the magitek job.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Darth Walrus posted:

Does the MCH questline ever touch on cool Allagen poo poo? Because that seems obvious territory for the magitek job.

Not really, but the guns made at Skysteel appear to be traditional firearms rather than magitek anyway.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

If you want cool Allagan poo poo, level summoner.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

vaguely posted:

If you want cool Allagan poo poo, level summoner.

Oh, I am - it’s my main. I just hoped that there were other jobs that got more into the magitek side of things. Eh, maybe MCH will get round to that sort of thing in later expansions.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I am just learning AST now but is there a reason the "Undraw" action exists? If the timer for using my drawn card is going to restart again anyway, why would I put the card back in?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If you don't want to waste a favourable Royal Road on a Spire

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Kashuno posted:

I am just learning AST now but is there a reason the "Undraw" action exists? If the timer for using my drawn card is going to restart again anyway, why would I put the card back in?

The 30 cooldown on draw starts when you consume the card. So if you decide you don't want to use the card you got, you can dump it right away and start the 30 second cooldown right away, as opposed to waiting for 30 seconds for the card to time out, then 30 more seconds for the regular cooldown.

You might do this if you, for example, have an enhanced royal road and draw a spire. Better to throw that poo poo on the ground and try again in 30 seconds than use it and waste your royal road buff. It mostly comes up when you're fishing for something specific and the game refuses to cooperate.

e: once you're high enough level you won't really be using it much anyway, you're given a lot of options for things to do with your cards. But sometimes you don't believe in the heart of the cards enough and you get nothing but useless trash.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 11, 2017

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I thought PLD was fine from 30-50 but really worthless from 50-60. The Stormblood where you fight in the coliseum is basically all I ever wanted and it was fun.

I also wanna thank everyone who helped me out yesterday. Things ended up working eventually, so now I've got 3 newbies to introduce to the game. There is a LOT to teach.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I can't believe I didn't realize the timer on the card to play it whew I am terrible. Also yeah I don't Royal Road yet so that explains why I didn't think about that :v:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Renegret posted:

The 30 cooldown on draw starts when you consume the card. So if you decide you don't want to use the card you got, you can dump it right away and start the 30 second cooldown right away, as opposed to waiting for 30 seconds for the card to time out, then 30 more seconds for the regular cooldown.

You might do this if you, for example, have an enhanced royal road and draw a spire. Better to throw that poo poo on the ground and try again in 30 seconds than use it and waste your royal road buff. It mostly comes up when you're fishing for something specific and the game refuses to cooperate.

e: once you're high enough level you won't really be using it much anyway, you're given a lot of options for things to do with your cards. But sometimes you don't believe in the heart of the cards enough and you get nothing but useless trash.

Yep if I draw into spire and I already have a spread and redraw gets me something like a bole? Cards getting chucked to make room for draw/sleeve draw. Will usually clear the spread too if sleeve draw is coming up to maximize my chances at pulling a balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Kashuno posted:

I can't believe I didn't realize the timer on the card to play it whew I am terrible. Also yeah I don't Royal Road yet so that explains why I didn't think about that :v:

And not just royal road, but you have spread, redraw, and minor arcana to deal with undesirable cards. If you manage your spread properly you probably won't undraw very often unless you get super RNG hosed.

Once you get minor arcana, the only reason you need to keep undraw on your bar is for when you're level synced.

e: undraw and the similar skills are mostly there because before SB, your cards were buffs you could right click off your bar. When they got integrated into your job gauge you couldn't right click them off so you had no way of dumping them. The fix was to get individual skills for clearing all that stuff, and honestly I use it so rarely I always forget where I have undraw spread bound.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 11, 2017