Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

a bone to pick posted:

:ssh: all the souls games are trash -A literal moron

CowboyAndy posted:

Okay, so I am simplifying things here. They did add new stuff, like Weapon Arts (special techniques based on the weapon you were using), new guilds (mostly either PVP or PVE, no 'defend an area' style guilds like in 2).

For me, Dark Souls 3 felt very... safe. It all felt like callbacks to Dark Souls 1.

Dark Souls 2 may have been rough around the edges, but it tried new stuff (Dual Wielding, multiple consumable health items, Hex class of magic, the hallowing system). And I appreciate DS2 more because of that.

It was safe, but it expanded on the stuff I care about most. It has the best art direction in the series and by far the most enjoyable combat and some of the most enjoyable level design. I liked the approach of refining what was already worked instead of reinventing the wheel.

2 was a fun game and they did try some new stuff out, but it was wildly inconsistent and kind of ugly.

That's not to say 2 was bad or 3 was perfect, but imo 3 is the best in the series.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

far cry 2 was a lot of fun + my favorite of the series so far + one of my favorite shooters ever

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Far Cry 2 was a much more compelling game than the later ones but 3 and 4 feel much better to play. They also get boring after a while due to being so humdrum standard issue Ubisoft.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The thing I liked most about Far Cry 2 was weapon durabity. It was fun picking up a weapon and hoping it doesn't jam on you since the guy you murdered for it didn't take care of it. I wish more games had that mechanic.

The respawning checkpoints can die in a fire.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

limp_cheese posted:

The respawning checkpoints can die in a fire.

I was trying to think of things I disliked in Far Cry 2, and your post made me realize it was this. Otherwise I really liked the game - played it out of sequence after 3, 4, and Primal, and thought i held up really well.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

It was safe, but it expanded on the stuff I care about most. It has the best art direction in the series and by far the most enjoyable combat and some of the most enjoyable level design. I liked the approach of refining what was already worked instead of reinventing the wheel.

2 was a fun game and they did try some new stuff out, but it was wildly inconsistent and kind of ugly.

That's not to say 2 was bad or 3 was perfect, but imo 3 is the best in the series.

I'll agree that 3 was pretty and was certainly refined. I guess it just didn't pull me in like 1 and 2.

---

Far Cry Blood Dragon was fun, and I wished they made a good sequel to it.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I mean the checkpoints were kind of bad, but sneaking through the deep jungle, suddenly hearing an engine's tach peg out, and getting run over before you can turn around was pretty frustrating

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They could have kept making variants of Red Alert 2 with different settings as far as I’m concerned, gently caress innovation

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Vegetable posted:

They could have kept making variants of Red Alert 2 with different settings as far as I’m concerned, gently caress innovation

Amen to that. I still play RA2's campaign every year or so. If they made an HD remaster I couldn't give them my money fast enough.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Japanese games are worse than Western games as a whole and its not close.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Aside from the stupidly good spritework I really don't know why gamers jizz themselves over SNK stuff, particularly their fighters. There's nothing bad about them, but I really don't get the hype.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

Aside from the stupidly good spritework I really don't know why gamers jizz themselves over SNK stuff, particularly their fighters. There's nothing bad about them, but I really don't get the hype.

Agreed except Metal Slug. Even Metal Slug isnt that great I guess but it's one of my favorite games to look at.

The sprites in SNK games are good enough to warrant playing here and there still though. beyond that I'd say they were average games for the time.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bear in-mind SNK spritework really is the very best in the business. I could never deny that:

I've just never been enamored with their games. They always feel just a little too stiff and like I have to study under some Japanese street gang for five years before I understand it.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

this is true, but mostly for RPGs

i don't know a single good western fighting game or SHMUP

in before idiots say killer instinct

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Das Butterbrot posted:

Clay Fighter

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Das Butterbrot posted:

fighting games and shmups are garbage tier genres anyway, on the level of platformers.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I have very strong memories of Far Cry 2. It had lots of cool ideas but was executed terribly. Enemy AI was turbo insane, and people in small hatchbacks would come screeching over mountaintops and within remote jungles to hunt you down. I remember crying with laughter at one point where there was some rickety wooden bridge. As enemy cars drove over it, they caught one glimpse of me, slammed the accelerator, and rammed through the wooden barricade into the river and died. Over and over. I remember driving with my finger permanently over the "change seat" button with the mounted weapon jeeps because you couldn't drive anywhere without being assaulted non-stop by murder frenzy people.

AI was schizophrenic between pretty cool, or pulling off 1km sniper shots in the dead of night with no warning. And if you set fires, they would come charging through the fire and burn to death in droves. The buddy system looked cool, but mine broke instantly after I incapacitated myself after a mission by shooting a truck I was standing on. My buddy arrived to pull me away from my idiocy, then stalked off mumbling about enemies and was never seen again and was marked MIA without there being any enemies to fight. My next one died without me ever seeing him.

I feel like the game could have been a cinematic and cool experience for some people, but for me it was a comedy of frustrating errors and everything being janky af.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Das Butterbrot posted:

mother loving

DIVE KICK

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

Bear in-mind SNK spritework really is the very best in the business. I could never deny that:

I've just never been enamored with their games. They always feel just a little too stiff and like I have to study under some Japanese street gang for five years before I understand it.

XIV actually got rid of a lot of that stiffness you're describing (XIII was stiff as hell) and it is a much better/more fluid game. I highly recommend it if you haven't tried it. It's even recently gotten a new DLC character confirmed.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

food court bailiff posted:

mother loving

DIVE KICK

i stand corrected, my bad

also, lethal league is by westerners i think. that one's cool too

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

There's unpopular opinions and then there's something the DSM would list as a symptom of insane madness

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

CowboyAndy posted:

Okay, so I am simplifying things here. They did add new stuff, like Weapon Arts (special techniques based on the weapon you were using), new guilds (mostly either PVP or PVE, no 'defend an area' style guilds like in 2).

For me, Dark Souls 3 felt very... safe. It all felt like callbacks to Dark Souls 1.

Dark Souls 2 may have been rough around the edges, but it tried new stuff (Dual Wielding, multiple consumable health items, Hex class of magic, the hallowing system). And I appreciate DS2 more because of that.

The stupid impossible elevator at the top of the windmill makes me so irrationally angry that ill never be able to enjoy dark souls 2

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

If the only games you play are open world 3rd person action games then yes

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Jeza posted:

I have very strong memories of Far Cry 2. It had lots of cool ideas but was executed terribly. Enemy AI was turbo insane, and people in small hatchbacks would come screeching over mountaintops and within remote jungles to hunt you down. I remember crying with laughter at one point where there was some rickety wooden bridge. As enemy cars drove over it, they caught one glimpse of me, slammed the accelerator, and rammed through the wooden barricade into the river and died. Over and over. I remember driving with my finger permanently over the "change seat" button with the mounted weapon jeeps because you couldn't drive anywhere without being assaulted non-stop by murder frenzy people.

AI was schizophrenic between pretty cool, or pulling off 1km sniper shots in the dead of night with no warning. And if you set fires, they would come charging through the fire and burn to death in droves. The buddy system looked cool, but mine broke instantly after I incapacitated myself after a mission by shooting a truck I was standing on. My buddy arrived to pull me away from my idiocy, then stalked off mumbling about enemies and was never seen again and was marked MIA without there being any enemies to fight. My next one died without me ever seeing him.

I feel like the game could have been a cinematic and cool experience for some people, but for me it was a comedy of frustrating errors and everything being janky af.

this isn’t the popular videogame opinions thread

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Meme Emulator posted:

If the only games you play are open world 3rd person action games then yes

Or FPSs, or RTSs, Western MMOs are significantly less terrible than eastern ones, etc.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

the best game ubisoft has ever published by an almost incomprehensible margin is rocksmith 2014 and if you disagree you're a scrub afraid of music :colbert:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

japan is better at fighting bad guys with swords and fists and that is indisputable, the best western equivalent is batman and that is mindlessly easy if you're even okay at games.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Caesar Saladin posted:

japan is better at fighting bad guys with swords and fists and that is indisputable, the best western equivalent is batman and that is mindlessly easy if you're even okay at games.

I'm sorry but Jedi Academy with the cheat that lets you cut people to pieces still exists.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Twelve Batmans posted:

XIV actually got rid of a lot of that stiffness you're describing (XIII was stiff as hell) and it is a much better/more fluid game. I highly recommend it if you haven't tried it. It's even recently gotten a new DLC character confirmed.
I'd like to if it's on sale, but bear in mind I'm rear end with a side of refried rear end glazed in rear end by a sous chef trained in rear end by the culinary masters of rear end as featured on 'Chef's rear end' on Netflix. I still don't get a 'cancel' nor am able to read an opponent like, at all. I really want to be better, but I've spent so much time in so many games and I've concluded I just plain suck at fighting games.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Final Fantasy VII is the only good Final Fantasy game

Ocarina of Time is the only good Zelda game and is the best JRPG of all time

Skyrim is best played vanilla with no mods

98% of the best games ever made were produced before 1997

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
walking simulators are the future of gaming

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

we're in the middle of a really weird, lurching, drawn-out industry wide crash and the only reason it's not blowing up bigger is because a lot of genuinely good+fun games are still coming out propping up the rest of the market

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

The opposite of this guy

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Zelda III is by far the best Zelda game and Nintendo has never come close to topping the SNES. In fact in many ways they've been getting worse and worse.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

I thought this might be a genuine post until the part about Skyrim revealed it to be a troll post.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

if you stretch it to 1999 so as to include starcraft and half-life you can bump that up to 100%

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
People only figured out the concept of video games around 2000. Until then it was all monkey banging with stick and stones.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

What interesting ideas. I would posit that 98% of the best games ever made were produced since the mid 2000s, and the last few years have been watershed years in gaming and gaming acceptance into culture.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the best JRPG ever made is phantasy star III

e: JRPG is the best genre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Jeza posted:

I liked a lot about Far Cry 2 but I couldn't get into it because everyone talked so fast. I don't know if it was a bug in my game or what but every VA just talked super fast and it sounded like poo poo