Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

GoldStandardConure posted:

Wrong.

Its the fairy penguin.

Voted penguin for open source compliance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-11/near-fatal-poisoning-central-coast-man-paraquat-ban/9242454

quote:

The near-fatal poisoning of a NSW Central Coast man with severe autism who drank a highly toxic herbicide left in an unmarked drink bottle has sparked fresh calls for a nationwide ban on Paraquat.

It is a highly effective weed killer commonly used by farmers across Australia but is also extremely toxic: it only takes a few sips to kill a person and has no antidote.
In 2015, a Queensland farmer died after the deadly herbicide accidentally sprayed into his mouth when he was filling a pressure back-pack pump spray.
Paraquat has caused thousands of deaths worldwide and is banned in more than 30 countries including China, Cambodia and across the European Union.
There is also a debate about its links to Parkinson's disease.
The poison has been under review by regulator, the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority, since 1997 due to health and environmental concerns, with a final determination due next year.

Why does a review take twenty years? Is that normal?

https://apvma.gov.au/node/12666

quote:

Work plan
1. Nomination
2. Prioritisation
3. Scoping and work plan
4. Notice of reconsideration
5. Assessment
6. Draft regulatory measure
7. Consultation
8. Regulatory decision
9. Implementation

They've finished with 'nomination', 'prioritisation' and 'scoping and work plan'. They talk about timeframes on this page https://apvma.gov.au/node/10961 but holy poo poo twenty years

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Because it's really useful

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Oh yeah? Well the bird of MY year is Taco

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

bandaid.friend posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-11/near-fatal-poisoning-central-coast-man-paraquat-ban/9242454

Why does a review take twenty years? Is that normal?

https://apvma.gov.au/node/12666

They've finished with 'nomination', 'prioritisation' and 'scoping and work plan'. They talk about timeframes on this page https://apvma.gov.au/node/10961 but holy poo poo twenty years

In that case, the Paraquat was obtained illegally by the groundskeeper, who was unlicensed for its use. It's a schedule seven substance, and it's NOT available over the counter, contrary to the factually incorrect reporting by the ABC.

It's an incredibly useful substance, but like many useful things it is dangerous when used incorrectly - as it was in this case.

There is an important substances safety message to be taken from this incident, but lovely reporting has turned it into a "ban it!" campaign due to the criminally negligent acts of someone who should have known better.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Tonight on 7:30 is a Korean Sex Cult stealing young woman in Canberra :suspense:

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Lid posted:

Could you go more into it?

Late, but...

Yugambeh is part of the Yuggera language and Chepara (or coastal) geography.

But you get a lot of money if the white man calls you traditional owner.

So Yugambeh are not in cooperation as Yuggerah-Yugambeh, they're off doing their own thing.

There's also a lot of bad blood between the gold coast mobs because of how Yugambeh got to this point- pushing out the others, ignoring family history.

Basically the assimilation project is complete (peter beattie hopes) and Yugambeh have gone full capitalist.

E.g. if you watched the recent rugby union match that was in Lang Park and a certain Shannon Ruska did the welcome - this isn't his land to welcome us on to, and that was not yuggera he spoke, but the ARU pay a lot of money and his mob have been trying to steal this land for generations, so, we get the wrong info.

Tl;Dr gold coast is yuggera-yugambeh but Yugambeh have dollar signs in their eyes and split off from yuggera

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

Tonight on 7:30 is a Korean Sex Cult stealing young woman in Canberra :suspense:

wtf plot

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

asio posted:

Late, but...

Yugambeh is part of the Yuggera language and Chepara (or coastal) geography.

But you get a lot of money if the white man calls you traditional owner.

So Yugambeh are not in cooperation as Yuggerah-Yugambeh, they're off doing their own thing.

There's also a lot of bad blood between the gold coast mobs because of how Yugambeh got to this point- pushing out the others, ignoring family history.

Basically the assimilation project is complete (peter beattie hopes) and Yugambeh have gone full capitalist.

E.g. if you watched the recent rugby union match that was in Lang Park and a certain Shannon Ruska did the welcome - this isn't his land to welcome us on to, and that was not yuggera he spoke, but the ARU pay a lot of money and his mob have been trying to steal this land for generations, so, we get the wrong info.

Tl;Dr gold coast is yuggera-yugambeh but Yugambeh have dollar signs in their eyes and split off from yuggera

we warned you about splits bro!!!

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Schlesische posted:

"Magpies" and "Plovers" (they're European names for species that ?aren't actually related to the European namesakes?) don't swoop me, but they sure as hell like having a crack at my (admittedly incredibly oblivious) doggo. If they'd cut that poo poo out, I'd be a-ok with those magnificent bastards.

What else should we call them?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lid posted:

Embattled Labor senator Sam Dastyari attempted to pressure Deputy Opposition Leader Tanya Plibersek to abandon a meeting with a pro-democracy activist opposed to Beijing's interference in Hong Kong, according to multiple sources who say the 2015 intervention surprised Ms Plibersek.

The incident has prompted concerns about the motive behind Senator Dastyari's decision to approach Ms Plibersek's office, Fairfax Media has been told by three sources familiar with the matter, following other revelations concerning his links to Chinese Communist Party-aligned interests in Australia.

In January 2015, Ms Plibersek, who was Labor's foreign affairs spokeswoman at the time, went to Hong Kong for a visit that included a meeting with Joseph Cheng Yu-shek, a prominent academic with Australian citizenship who has drawn the ire of Beijing-aligned forces.

Senator Dastyari was on a China trip at the same time paid for by an organisation controlled by Communist Party-aligned Labor and Coalition political donor and businessman Huang Xiangmo.

A spokesman for Senator Dastyari rejected the claims as "complete rubbish".

"It simply did not occur," the spokesman said.

However, multiple sources say Senator Dastyari repeatedly attempted to warn Ms Plibersek that her meetings in Hong Kong would upset figures in the Chinese community in Australia. They say he left messages on her phone and contacted her office multiple times.

Senator Dastyari was unable to reach her directly as she had left her mobile phone at home, a security precaution parliamentarians have been advised to take when travelling to Chinese territory. It is understood his messages were passed on to her.

Fairfax Media understands that Senator Dastyari's calls to Ms Plibersek and her office followed a separate representation from then Chinese ambassador to Australia, Ma Zhaoxu.

Sources said the Chinese ambassador issued a separate warning to Ms Plibersek about her plans to meet activists in the semi-autonomous city.

There is no suggestion Senator Dastyari's approach to Ms Plibersek was connected to the approach by the Chinese ambassador.

I'm not saying it but i'm not not saying it

goddammit sam.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

The cyclist was travelling along Black Forest Drive, near Blackwood Road, when he was struck from behind by a black Hyundai sedan about 9.25am.

"A man in his 40s suffered head, leg and chest injuries," Ambulance Victoria spokesman John Mullen said.

"He was airlifted to the Royal Melbourne Hospital in a critical condition."

Victoria Police spokeswoman said the man was yet to be identified and asked any witnesses to come forward.

In June, a cyclist was left fighting for his life after he and two others were hit by a car on the same stretch of road.

Six years ago, a bike lane was installed on the same stretch of road but it was removed amid community opposition.

loff nimbies

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
I really should go out of my way to use the "bike boulevard" in Bayswater so they do more them.
The salty tears when their roads become 30km/hr shared single lanes for cars would sustain me

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/glengyron/status/939966065118920705

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009
Any of y'all at NUS NatCon this week? I'm out of the trashfire and want to spectate on Twitter. really struggling to find decent Media Observers who are actually there

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

TheBlackVegetable posted:

What else should we call them?

Swift Swooper and Ground Troll.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

What the hell is a plover

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

why does it have nipples

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
those are for stabbing!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
That bird is repulsive.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

That bird has leprosy

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bets on SamDash being pushed or jumping?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

mumbrella posted:

News Corp Australia has abruptly withdrawn its newspapers from being audited by the Audited Media Association of Australia, dealing a near fatal blow to the future of print circulation audits in Australia.

:thunk:

(They're going with another company that focuses its metrics on readership not circulation, which is kind of like claiming that the small piece of pie is more important than the big piece).

mumbrella posted:

In future News Corp will argue that advertisers should look to Enhanced Media Metrics Australia (EMMA) which was created by the newspaper industry in 2013 to promote readership numbers, rather than circulation, as the key metric.

EMMA is run by research company Ipsos under the auspices of trade body NewsMediaWorks’ sister organisation Readership Works. Based on asking survey questions, EMMA offers data including audience demographics, media consumptions, lifestyles, psychographics, and product and service usage and attitudes.

News Corp is Australia’s largest newspaper publisher with mastheads including The Australian, The Daily Telegraph in Sydney, the Herald-Sun in Melbourne and Courier Mail in Brisbane as well as a string of local and regional titles.

According to News Corp, the decision follows a consultation with advertisers and media agencies. It claimed: “The decision to use EMMA as the primary measurement metric follows an extensive review with more than 100 advertisers and media agencies that highlighted that the existing print circulation metric is no longer a representative measure of today’s cross-platform audiences.”

Miller: Claims engagement across platforms, not circulation, should be primary metric

Michael Miller, News Corp Australia’s executive chairman, argued that circulation was not an indicator of how media is consumed.

Supporters of circulation audits argue that providing third party verification that publishers actually circulate the number of copies they say they do is an important safeguard for advertisers.

“Media buyers and advertisers plan media based on the audience that engages with our mastheads, not the number of papers sold,” Miller argued.

“Total audience is the chosen metric that our advertisers and media buyers now use to make their media buying decisions and to compare alternatives across all main media, so it’s a natural course of action for us to meet the market by using one, primary metric,” he explained.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 11, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Peter Dutton accuses Manus Island refugees of lying about being threatened
The immigration minister says claims of threats are ‘complete nonsense’ and ‘some advocates are behind the lies’

apparently not realizing/knowing/caring that video was provided

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anyone read over the Geoffrey rush court documents?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

ewe2 posted:

(They're going with another company that focuses its metrics on readership not circulation, which is kind of like claiming that the small piece of pie is more important than the big piece).

Won't this gently caress them immeasurably when they realise that half of their circulation is just coffee shops buying bulk and no one actually reads it?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

hey now they keep the tables clean

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

JBP posted:

That bird is repulsive.

Brown Paper Bag posted:

That bird has leprosy

This adorable baby is gonna grow up and swoop the gently caress out of you for that.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Won't this gently caress them immeasurably when they realise that half of their circulation is just coffee shops buying bulk and no one actually reads it?

I'm pretty sure they already know that. As long as they can fake up enough readers to pretend they read it, they won't care. It won't help and hard to see where you go after that fails, though.

Meanwhile the ad industry looks at social media with dread and longing, dread because they know half the stats are faked but longing because they're the only hope after the death of print media.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Zenithe posted:

This adorable baby is gonna grow up and swoop the gently caress out of you for that.
You mean, half-heartedly swoop in my vague direction. Doesn't have the guts to go full contact, like a real bird.

A couple of these idiots nest in the middle of a local dog park and get upset when their nest is constantly investigated by dogs. They could nest literally ten metres away over a fence and be perfectly safe.

Now this is a real bird:

The majestic Tasmanian Native Hen (aka Turbo Chook), infinitely superior to the Lapwing in all respects - including flying, because even though its flightless, Lapwings suck.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Elissimpark posted:

You mean, half-heartedly swoop in my vague direction. Doesn't have the guts to go full contact, like a real bird.

A couple of these idiots nest in the middle of a local dog park and get upset when their nest is constantly investigated by dogs. They could nest literally ten metres away over a fence and be perfectly safe.

Now this is a real bird:

The majestic Tasmanian Native Hen (aka Turbo Chook), infinitely superior to the Lapwing in all respects - including flying, because even though its flightless, Lapwings suck.

where's the second head

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Elissimpark posted:

Now this is a real bird:

I quite like their flashier cousin, the Purple Swamp Hen

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Synthbuttrange posted:

apparently not realizing/knowing/caring that video was provided

Also apparently not realising/knowing/caring that the excuse of "it was the advocates/they were coached" was used before when the child sexual abuse claims came up.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Korgan posted:

where's the second head

Boo!

EoinCannon posted:

I quite like their flashier cousin, the Purple Swamp Hen

Yeah, but they have to live in swamps for being jerks to Kiwis. The birds, not NZ people.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Looks like a Purple Swamphen except dull

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
swamp hens are scrub tier birds, nankeen night heron is where its at

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ewe2 posted:

Ahem.

Excuse me lefty commie muslim

https://www.newsmediaworks.com.au/adtrust/

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/940057446566977539

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Aristos?