Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

SunAndSpring posted:

I wonder if the old races will get rites to do in campaign later on.

trying to figure out what they'd be, TBH.

kinda want the Empire's to be Subsidies instead of Rites though. pick a power base to pay off- church, colleges, farmers, nobles- win valuable prizes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

SunAndSpring posted:

I wonder if the old races will get rites to do in campaign later on.

If I'm CA, I'm at least waiting to see what kinds of mechanics we decide to add for 3 before putting too much effort into bringing the factions from 1 up to the standard of the factions from 2. I have to imagine there's a limit to how much effort they want to put into renovating those races given that they can charge money for working on new content a lot more easily than they can profit from revamping old content. Especially after the problems with Norsca, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't want anything to do with the old world for a while, other than adding in some start positions for different lords in mortal empires.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

ZearothK posted:

What in the Christfuck.

It is pretty incredible.

It's still ME2 tho

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Because I'm not fond of blobbing, I actually don't really like the new conditions for the Chaos Invasion (25 regions, etc.). Luckily, someone apparently had the same sentiment and is working on restoring and expanding on the old timer mechanic: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1223432181

First invasion at 75-ish, real invasion at 100-ish. It does seem a bit low but I'm guessing it's because the "Order" factions (and by "Order" factions I mean the hellblob that is Lothern) tend to either dominate and/or form massive alliance blocs. Futhermore, the modder eventually plans to make the overall presence of the "Order" factions a factor in triggering the invasion.

I think it's a compelling idea, even in ME; with the campaign being astronomically long because of the victory conditions, Chaos now feels like the mid-game threat while the Age of "Peace" is the third act where everyone just betrays the poo poo out of each other. Very fitting for a Total War game, and as a plus you now get to fight all sorts of different factions by the end.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 9, 2017

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

ZearothK posted:

What in the Christfuck.

Batshit insanity. That's what you're looking at, mod-wise.

Alternatively: Occasionally a mod maker comes along that is crazy enough to say something like "What would Zelda be like if it was a war game?" and actually has the talent to pull it off.

Way back when in another thread I did a bunch of posts writing up the factions for the base game. If you can dig them up you'd be in for an interesting read. Each one is basically an entirely different game play experience. I'm really not kidding when I say that the Zelda total conversion was basically like an early era example of what TW Warhammer is now. Hell, it even had giant and monster type units, TW2 style faction rites, and even proper Napoleonic style gun line style warfare for one colonialism oriented faction in years before Total War even had the idea for it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Dec 9, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kestral posted:

What's involved in a confederation-heavy strategy? I'm doing a gimmick Teclis ME playthrough going for Maximum Elf Confederation (after neutering Tyrion so he doesn't devour the island), and wondering how I should approach this clusterfuck of Ulthuan lords.

Also, is it realistically possible to confederate someone after being in a war with them, or does one conflict set you back so far that you're basically sunk?

The easiest way to confederate the high elf kingdoms is to wait until Tyrion is on their doorstep trying to murder them.

If you can drag them all in to war with Naggaroth factions that works, too. When their main stack gets battered, offer them a deal.

Ulthuan is stronger when each separate faction is maintaining its own armies, though, due to how the ai cheats. It's not like Athel Loren which has the insane vineyard economic multipliers when you own all the regions. These are your main trading partners for the majority of the game.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
OK, 50 turns in my Skaven game: the Badlands got pretty wild as the Dwarfs have lost or completely failed to conquer every region in their starting area apart from Karaz-a-Karak. Instead, Angrund took over those regions, while Thorgrim and Grombrindal have managed to migrate all the way to the mountains in the west of the Southlands. Extremely strange.

Other than that, the usual things I've observed from the other Actual Empires games have either stayed constant or accelerated: Bretonnia is fully united and warring with a strong Skyre, the Empire has confederated most of its inner provinces while the Elector Counts on the outer edges remain, and the Greenskins are fighting everyone but are tenaciously holding on against a Dwarf alliance and an unsullied Border Princes.

With the Reprisal update soon to be finalized, I think I can conclude that the Actual Empires mod is pretty good at ensuring that you'll have a strong enemy faction to contend with at every major stage of the game through AI bonuses, startpos, and diplomacy tweaking. It's extremely apparent as Mors, if only because you're likely going to be at war with everyone one day, which is true to Queek's dubious honor of having the most difficult campaign in the game.

Addendum: when I used a mod to remove LOS to check on the map, every order-aligned faction declared war on me as Queek. Hell yeah.

I think I'll go fool around with a quick Skarsnik game now, particularly because Crynsos just came out with this: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1225968244

It's basically a script that starts you off at Eight Peaks when picking any of the three contenders. I imagine it would be extremely fun for a Queek challenge (well, even more challenging) campaign since you won't have the luxury of having your own corner of the map to expand into before heading into the poo poo.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Vampires are beating all the dwarfs and orcs into the ground in my campaign. Wood Elves emerged from the forest on turn 100 to take over Tilea.

Malagor the Dark Omen stalked into my lands to ask for 200 gold to join in my scrap against savage orcs, bless him.

Mazdamundi keeps marching stacks through Lothern territory to get ambushed outside my mist-wreathed cities. If he's not careful Tyrion's going to turn on his undefended homeland.

Haven't seen much evidence of crazy imbalances myself, and I'm not even using the beta update.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Fuckin' a, after like 6 or so (incomplete) games in ME and a couple hundred hours, only now do I see Karak Ziflin finally complete its province by taking Grung Zint.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
This is the second time I've had to completely reinstall TW II. Even after deleting all my mods and checking the game files, it crashes on the loading screen when making a new campaign.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Mine was doing for a while because of Windows security updates and I had to uninstall those every few days to get the game to work.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
If Alastar the White Lion is killed in battle when he's working for another faction (perfidious Lothern, in this case) is he gone forever, or can you eventually recruit him from the general High Elf pool? I'd hate to reload and miss out on that siege victory I just had against him, but I dearly want to use Alastar in this campaign.

Edit: Further elf questions. Do passives that "Trigger when casting spell" like Life Bloom trigger only when the character with that passive casts, or when any allied mage casts?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Kestral posted:

Edit: Further elf questions. Do passives that "Trigger when casting spell" like Life Bloom trigger only when the character with that passive casts, or when any allied mage casts?

Only that character.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Bummed about the Norsca fuckup? Crynsos may have the mod for you: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1226919876&searchtext=

Fills out the Norscan roster with some of their units from the Foundation update, sans not-werewolves and Mammoths. If you hate endless swarms of chariots, giving the Norscans a more diverse roster is a sure way to cut down on that happening.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Mordja posted:

Warhammer isn't moddable enough, I don't think you can change the map for one, and I haven't seen any mods that import their own models yet. He's making a new Zelda RTS on the 0AD (a free Age of Empires-like) engine instead.

He does seem to be a lot happier now that he's working on an engine that he doesn't have to fight with at every step in the process. I'll just miss seeing a line of Goron troops literally rolling through an enemy's front line.

Inevitablelongshot
Mar 26, 2010
Is there any word on whether they will consider fleshing out the Hung? http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Hung

Based on the historical Mongols and led by the size-Queen of Umbra, this faction has the potential for a meaty roster.

They would be another threat hanging over Ulthuan, ready to give them a pounding and piledrive them from the North.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Inevitablelongshot posted:

Is there any word on whether they will consider fleshing out the Hung? http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Hung

Based on the historical Mongols and led by the size-Queen of Umbra, this faction has the potential for a meaty roster.

They would be another threat hanging over Ulthuan, ready to give them a pounding and piledrive them from the North.

If Warhammer 3 does expand east, then a more steppe-horde appropriate roster would be fitting for their Norsca equivalents. No official word though.

I dunno if I actually want that TBH, I want to play Ogres when they arrive and they have no real ranged options apart from their shotgunners and cannons.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Steppe-horde eastern races are the Hobgoblin Khans. Doubt we'll see them in game though.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

So has anyone else had Crysnos' Unlocker remove Kemmler from the game?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Inevitablelongshot posted:

This is not confirmed but I suspect they are in fact based on the Huns

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Korgan posted:

Steppe-horde eastern races are the Hobgoblin Khans. Doubt we'll see them in game though.

I think there's a good chance of them being part of the Chaos Dwarf army.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Raygereio posted:

Yep, the tabletop list is built around a small group of heavy infantry and artillery supported by hobgoblin slave soldiers meant to die en masse

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Devorum posted:

So has anyone else had Crysnos' Unlocker remove Kemmler from the game?

Not entirely from the game, I've seen it give Kemmler to Mousillon as a second LL depending on the version (and in the process make Mousillon a million times more dangerous, usually eating up most of Bretonnia unless you interfere).

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

SteelMentor posted:

Not entirely from the game, I've seen it give Kemmler to Mousillon as a second LL depending on the version (and in the process make Mousillon a million times more dangerous, usually eating up most of Bretonnia unless you interfere).

Just started a Red Duke game, and that's exactly what happened. It doesn't state that anywhere on The Red Duke's faction profile, though.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
He used to add in Krell as a 3rd Legendary Lord for Mousillon as well, which i personally thought was a bit too much but hey whatever floats your boat!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Gejnor posted:

He used to add in Krell as a 3rd Legendary Lord for Mousillon as well, which i personally thought was a bit too much but hey whatever floats your boat!

balance be damned
I'm playing warham

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Gejnor posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't have it spawn the Red Duke, Kremmler and Krell from turn 1. With the AI's upkeep and money cheats it's a miracle if the neighbouring provinces aren't swimming in undead by turn 10.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Third World Reggin posted:

balance be damned
I'm playing warham

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

balance be damned
I'm playing warham

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Are my eyes playing tricks or does enabling SSAO cause a weird shimmery outline around unit models and arrows etc? Turning it off makes the lighting slightly worse but getting rid of that shimmer makes a heck of a difference. Is this one of these known things thats due a patch in a long time, don't seem to recall it in tww1.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Yeah it's a known bug, they said they fixed it in a patch but evidently they didn't. I have the same problem.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

balance. be damned!
I'm playing warham?
Money down.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

balance. be damned!
I'm playing warham?
Money down.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Raygereio posted:

I should have clarified. Hogoblins as part of the Chaos Dwarfs is a given. Hobgoblins as their own faction, the Mongolia to Cathay's China, probably won't.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Korgan posted:

I should have clarified. Hogoblins as part of the Chaos Dwarfs is a given. Hobgoblins as their own faction, the Mongolia to Cathay's China, probably won't.

Until they add a Skarsnik style hobgoblin leader, with built in horde mechanics for hobgoblin leaders only.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
What's a hobgoblin is that like a cross between an orc and a goblin.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

SHISHKABOB posted:

A sort of halfway point between orcs and goblins with a pathological need to backstab that rivals skaven. Luckily for the chorfs this can be mitigated with liberal use of torture and threats of immediate painful death.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's an orc/goblin where GW leant on racial stereotypes instead of their normal class-based ones.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I want a skink skarsnik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jum-Jum
Oct 23, 2013
I want Grom the Paunch, the bestest goblin there is.

But we already have a goblin LL so that is very unlikely. :(