Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

I had that blanket, and in fact used it till I was like 13 or so(and it's probably still in storage somewhere)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

the most important thing about that poster/promo pic/whatever is that bulk and skull are in there as the orange and purple rangers, and i hope they show up in the actual event

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

FilthyImp posted:

Goddamn that is some ugly promo art.

They should have called George Perez.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Why did a lot of the American merch have the chest symbols anyway? I get it’s reminiscent of American superheroes with their chest icons, but it’s just so random. I remember it being on stuff that pre-dated the movie, too.

Also, I was at a trivia night.
Emcee: What was the name of the first pink ranger, played by Amy Jo Johnson
Room: oh cool we got this
emcee: we need first and last name
Room: what the poo poo.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Boxman posted:

Why did a lot of the American merch have the chest symbols anyway?

It was the image on their coins, which is supposed to be the source of their power. Also, it looked pretty neat and used just two colors which made it easy to pattern on fabrics and poo poo. And finally, identifying Rangers by helmets, coin art, etc allows Saban to instill the idea that it’s the superhero costumes themselves, not the people portraying them, that are popular.

They occasionally had it both ways, as evidenced by the fliphead figures that supposedly Legacy is remaking. So they can and still do make money on the original cast’s likeness, and they get jack poo poo in royalties on that. But generally speaking, aside from those things and some bad VHS art they tried to restrain showing you their human form since that would make actors feel like they’re worth paying.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It seems like they took more consideration for actors starting in season 3. The fights were all now costumed so they had to do less stunts, they put the whole kid arc in to give them time off, let Schrier do some directing, and that seemed to continue into season 4 and 5 with unmorphed fights not really being around much again until In Space.

It just looks from the outside like for a couple of seasons they really were trying to give the actors a better work balance.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It also gave them the ability to film several episodes in one go without having to call in actors to film those parts. People cite this as the reason why the second half of Zeo moved to the beach, though even though Ernie moved to the beach the Youth Center still got some camera time in those episodes. Conjecture on my part, but I believe part of the reason for Zeo's beach period is that the large high school set was partially scrapped and redesigned as Divatox's sub interior. They did use the school in Turbo and In Space, but it was shrunk significantly (watch the start of In Space episode 8 and you'll see the familiar staircase and lockers but the other half of the hall was cut back and totally redone in a clashing yellow color).

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Boxman posted:

Why did a lot of the American merch have the chest symbols anyway? I get it’s reminiscent of American superheroes with their chest icons, but it’s just so random. I remember it being on stuff that pre-dated the movie, too.

Also, I was at a trivia night.
Emcee: What was the name of the first pink ranger, played by Amy Jo Johnson
Room: oh cool we got this
emcee: we need first and last name
Room: what the poo poo.

Without googling, Kimberly Hart, Jason Scott, Trini Kwan, Billy Cranston, Zack Taylor
Get on my level

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Craptacular! posted:

Conjecture on my part, but I believe part of the reason for Zeo's beach period is that the large high school set was partially scrapped and redesigned as Divatox's sub interior. They did use the school in Turbo and In Space, but it was shrunk significantly (watch the start of In Space episode 8 and you'll see the familiar staircase and lockers but the other half of the hall was cut back and totally redone in a clashing yellow color).

The school was still in Zeo. They cut the hallway then and put in a computer lab/lounge removing the actual classroom set

EDIT: best image I could find for it in Zeo

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 5, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I knew all except Zack's.

Let me see how far I can goes though.

Rocky Santos?
Aisha Campbell?
Adam Park?

Katherine Hill?
Tanya Sloan?
Atreyu... Of heart! Of wisdom!

Carlos Rodriguez?
Theodore J Jarvis Johnson!
Ashley Karen?
Cassie Chan?
Justin Smith?
Andros has no last name nor does Korona or Zhane

Past this I'd really be stretching

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

mateo360 posted:

The school was still in Zeo. They cut the hallway then and put in a computer lab/lounge removing the actual classroom set

EDIT: best image I could find for it in Zeo

When I was a kid I thought this meant they were in college

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That should probably be like Andros of KO-35.

I dont want to meet the person that can full-name characters past PRiS.

Well ok maybe Lost Galaxy. Lightspeed Rescue is a stretch despite being so heavy with the characterization.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lightspeed rescues cast was

Joe Airplane
Dana Swanson(daughter of mentor, Captain Ron Swanson)
Miss Lady Scientist
Carter Grayson
Eric Trump
Louie Dae Kim
Tanya Swole

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Joe Airplane
Miss Lady Scientist
Carter Grayson
Eric Trump
Louie Dae Kim
Tanya Swole

Eric Trump was also in Time Force, he was a popular character.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

A few years back somebody sold these on Etsy as bags. Wife bought one and now that’s what she takes to cons to get Power Rangers cast members to sign. It’s pretty neat.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Dammit. I knew Katherine Hillard, Rocky Santos, Adam Park, and Tanya Sloan, but all my brain would give me for Aisha's last name was Tyler and now I'm mad Aisha Tyler wasn't a Power Ranger.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Joe Airplane
Miss Lady Scientist
Carter Grayson
Eric Trump
Louie Dae Kim
Tanya Swole

Lady Scientist was my favorite :allears:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

mateo360 posted:

Yeah, the Groundhog Day episode and the one where JDF tries to sing made extensive use of the school, and both are during the Gasket arc about the point where David Yost walked out. But after that they left school for a bit.

They were definitely preparing Turbo stuff by that point, since somebody on cast (JYB I think?) said that the plan was for Billy to have created Turbo’s technology. You got a lot less of him and got Bronx Alpha instead because producers couldn’t stop harassing him.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Was Alpha 6 supposed to be a New Yorker? When I was a kid, I thought he was a completely tonedeaf hip hop thing, to get the kids in with the urban culture.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I did too but when I rewatched as an adult he was way more obviously a bad Brooklyn accent.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's definitely the "APPEARS RACIST, likely isn't" thing.

He really should have just said AY AH'M WALKIN ERE a few times to get the point across. Or go on about Pizza or something

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I mean when it comes to New York stereotypes, The Bronx is always singled out as the "tough" take-no-bullshit place. And he is clearly trying to evoke a short-tempered, Yankees Fans dot GIF attitude.

I know at least one episode he tells an amazed Justin to "a-yo, kid, take a picture, it'll last longer."

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Well, this is embarassing. I got my episodes out of order, this one should've been first. Enjoy a somewhat complex episode.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

For the third time in as many episodes, Zedd's plan involves turning the rangers against each other.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

A Tommy episode! This one was fun to work with, but it was awful bullshit from top to bottom.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lizard Wizard posted:

A Tommy episode! This one was fun to work with, but it was awful bullshit from top to bottom.

Ah yes, the Sword of Power, not to be confused with the Power Sword (Jason's weapon), the other Power Sword (Megazord's weapon) or the Sword of Darkness (called the Power Sword once).

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

This is one of my favorite episodes, if for no reason than Kimberly being annoyed when Zordon calls her (complete with a 'fake a smile before saying hi because the person on the other line can tell') and the cutest, most passively-agressively cheery way anyone has ever said 'It's Morphin Time" ever.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Georgia O'Keeffe in kaiju form.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, Haim Saban handwaves the way Japanese media portrays octopi.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Blaze Dragon posted:

the other Power Sword (Megazord's weapon)

Sometimes known as the Mega Sword.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

This Zyu 2 stuff is so funny because it's Toei doing fights based on how they think Americans would do it. So we get stuff like Billy stroking his chin hiding behind a tree watching the fight or him defeating the monster with some dumb thing he made every episode.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

All of Zyu2 is super bizarre but it aligns almost perfectly with when I was most dedicated to watching the show so I have a really strong attachment to all these monsters and all these super loving weird episodes

What kinda boggles my mind is that they got Toei to bust out the Zyu suits and make new footage for the Americans, but they never asked them to make a second green ranger shield and ship it over so even with brand new Japanese footage, the American green ranger still looks like poo poo

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sockser posted:

What kinda boggles my mind is that they got Toei to bust out the Zyu suits and make new footage for the Americans, but they never asked them to make a second green ranger shield and ship it over so even with brand new Japanese footage, the American green ranger still looks like poo poo
I asked something like that earlier (night have been during the Twitchathon) and the answer I was given wad that JDF couldn't move as easily with the plastic/latex shield so the US team just used that shiny wobbly foam one.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Folks, I know we've been bandying about the whole "end of the Green Ranger" thing, but today's episode marks the real beginning of the end of the end of the Green Ranger.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

I asked something like that earlier (night have been during the Twitchathon) and the answer I was given wad that JDF couldn't move as easily with the plastic/latex shield so the US team just used that shiny wobbly foam one.

That makes sense, I imagine the Zyu ones are sized for a small Asian man and not a svelte American martial artist

Actually google is telling me that JDF is only 5’11” and the second tallest of the MMPR cast is JYB at 5’9”

Huh.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Makes sense, Trini and Kim didn't seem outlandishly shorter than the men. Aisha, though...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Makes sense, Trini and Kim didn't seem outlandishly shorter than the men. Aisha, though...
I would imagine a team of 6'4" teenage guys that tower over their female teammates morphing into 5'6" stuntsuit guys might have been tough to cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

FilthyImp posted:

I would imagine a team of 6'4" teenage guys that tower over their female teammates morphing into 5'6" stuntsuit guys might have been tough to cover.

and yet that make the short asian guy more into the tall blue ranger in Jungle Fury