Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

fruit on the bottom posted:

If it helps, Adam Selzer’s 2017 biography of him suggests that his is a story that’s grown exaggerated in the telling. Although even at the most conservative he confessed to 27, and police were able substantiate 9 of them which is still pretty crazy.

Wiki tells me that some of the people he confessed to murdering turned out to be alive so I don’t even know.

He definitely was having the time of his life telling the police his story, basically every time he was interviewed he made up a new list of victims and said he had been lying last time but now he's telling the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

This has been posted several times already, but I can’t seem to find it; does anyone have the link to the story about the guy who was axed in the head while sleeping, then later got up and tried to go about his normal morning routine before finally expiring right outside his front door?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Comrade Koba posted:

This has been posted several times already, but I can’t seem to find it; does anyone have the link to the story about the guy who was axed in the head while sleeping, then later got up and tried to go about his normal morning routine before finally expiring right outside his front door?

Christopher Porco is the murderer, the victim was Peter Porco.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Pick posted:

Christopher Porco is the murderer, the victim was Peter Porco.

That’s the one. Thanks!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Comrade Koba posted:

That’s the one. Thanks!

Also, most people know it from the Forensic Files episode "Family Ties", which is legally on Youtube from FilmRise.

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe
imagine living your whole life with a name like peter porco and then it ends like that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'd have perfected charcuterie.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

pokemon posted:

imagine living your whole life with a name like peter porco and then it ends like that.

The Amazing(ly ill-fortuned) Spider-Ham

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Somehow, despite being an avid reader of this thread, having a lifelong interest in natural and unnatural disasters, and living in a northern U.S. state, I managed never to hear about the devastating Halifax Explosion of 1917 until its 100th anniversary happened yesterday and a bunch of news stories came out about it.

The basic story is that a ship packed to the brim with explosives made for use in WWI - but not properly labeled as hazardous - collided with another vessel in the harbor of Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. The collision was minor, but jostled the cargo, at which point the crew abandoned the ship, leaving it to drift right up to a pier, where it exploded, flattening the town, killing 2,000 people, and maiming and blinding thousands more. The impact spawned an 18-meter tsunami that flooded the town and killed many people who had survived the initial blast, and the following day the town was hit by a blizzard for good measure.

Canadian Encyclopedia's detailed retelling of events.

Lumber yards across North America still won't take wood from Halifax, because it is full of metal shards.

Nova Scotia still donates a large Christmas tree to the city of Boston every year in gratitude for its rapid response to the disaster.

The train dispatcher at the harbor stayed behind to send this final warning: "Hold up the train. Munitions ship on fire and making for Pier 6 ... Goodbye boys."

Some photos, original and colorized, of the aftermath.

Edited to revise the height of the tsunami ... 18 meters, not 8 feet.

pookel has a new favorite as of 20:03 on Dec 7, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think that's the only "ship disaster" that killed more people on land than at sea.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I've read about most of that, but I wasn't aware of the "Halifax Wood" issue. That's pretty crazy.

I also think the whole Christmas Tree thing is really neat. Given the times, Boston mobilized ridiculously fast and raised an enormous amount of money. They sent the equivalent of $15 million (in today's money) as relief in material and monies.

Wikipedia says

quote:

A notable proportion of Nova Scotians (and Haligonians in particular) identify as supporters of Boston's major professional sports league teams. Following the Boston Red Sox victory in the 2007 World Series, the trophy was brought to Halifax for 2 days. The Stanley Cup and the Larry O'Brien and Vince Lombardi Trophies have also been brought to Halifax by, respectively, Bruins, Celtics and Patriots players.

It looks like the two have been friends since the founding of Halifax, but became BFFs after the explosion. This is incredibly cool to me.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think that's the only "ship disaster" that killed more people on land than at sea.

It was also the largest mass blinding in history. A lot of window glass met a lot of eyeballs that day.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 21:01 on Dec 7, 2017

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Near as I can tell, this building was a bit less than a mile away from the explosion.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Highly recommend the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic in Halifax. It's about half Halifax Explosion, a quarter stuff that washed ashore from the Titanic, and a quarter miscellaneous maritime stuff. Nicely curated, and if you are a sucker like me, all the Halifax Explosion and Titanic stuff will make you cry.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There's a very fine novel, Burden of Desire, about the Halifax Explosion. Written by Robert MacNeil, for those of you old enough to remember the Macneil-Lehrer Report.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
From what I remember, the bottom of the Halifax harbor still has a crater you can see in bathymetric surveys.

In more recent ship explosion news, there is also the Texas City fire from a ship filled with Ammonium Nitrate that also caught fire in the late 1940s. Not quite as bad, but when ships explode they make a mess.

Here is a recent explosion and you can see the level of devastation in the sonar images.
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2004/s2179.htm

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Copying from the Longform thread because I think the original was posted here:

A feral child was found starving, covered in her own filth, unable to walk or talk. A new family adopted the girl in 2007, called her Dani, and tried to make up for years of neglect.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

pookel posted:

Somehow, despite being an avid reader of this thread, having a lifelong interest in natural and unnatural disasters, and living in a northern U.S. state, I managed never to hear about the devastating Halifax Explosion of 1917 until its 100th anniversary happened yesterday and a bunch of news stories came out about it.

The basic story is that a ship packed to the brim with explosives made for use in WWI - but not properly labeled as hazardous - collided with another vessel in the harbor of Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. The collision was minor, but jostled the cargo, at which point the crew abandoned the ship, leaving it to drift right up to a pier, where it exploded, flattening the town, killing 2,000 people, and maiming and blinding thousands more. The impact spawned an 18-meter tsunami that flooded the town and killed many people who had survived the initial blast, and the following day the town was hit by a blizzard for good measure.

Canadian Encyclopedia's detailed retelling of events.

Lumber yards across North America still won't take wood from Halifax, because it is full of metal shards.

Nova Scotia still donates a large Christmas tree to the city of Boston every year in gratitude for its rapid response to the disaster.

The train dispatcher at the harbor stayed behind to send this final warning: "Hold up the train. Munitions ship on fire and making for Pier 6 ... Goodbye boys."

Some photos, original and colorized, of the aftermath.

Edited to revise the height of the tsunami ... 18 meters, not 8 feet.

I knew about this because of Heritage Minutes. Covers various events in Canadian history. This is the one for Halifax This ran regularly when I was a kid.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Thanks for this, the original article was one I thought about now and then.

Its a bummer to learn that Dani didn't recover as much as people hoped she would, but at least she still has people to take care of her. Sounds like the group home is working out fairly well for her, at least.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It tries to be hopefully but her presence literally destroyed another family basically for no reason. Sad stuff.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
That’s not really her fault though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

That’s not really her fault though.

It's 0% her fault, it still happened. Hence "sad" and not "infuriating". It's just fuckin sad.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Gally posted:

Thanks for this, the original article was one I thought about now and then.

Its a bummer to learn that Dani didn't recover as much as people hoped she would, but at least she still has people to take care of her. Sounds like the group home is working out fairly well for her, at least.
Here's a cheerier one - despite the headline - about a girl from a different horrific abuse case. I've posted about her before, but I guess she was on Dr. Phil this year.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/news/2017/07/19/girl-closet-says-tried-commit-suicide-30-times

quote:

Despite years of continued hardship and struggle, Kavanaugh graduated from Eustace High School in 2013 and enrolled at Trinity Valley Community College in Athens.
She has since graduated, and has a girlfriend, Janae Merrill.
"I can't touch Lauren when she's having a night terror," Merrill told McGraw. "If you do, she will hurt you."
"Before we go to bed, I normally put everything away that's sharp," she said. "I literally have to baby-proof the house."

I have never forgotten her story, since she was first rescued from her closet at age 8, starving, toddler-sized, and never having seen sunshine or grass. Those details were bad enough, but it came out later that she was also horrifically abused and sexually tortured by her mother and stepfather. It blows my mind how tough she is and how well she's put her life together since then, considering what she went through.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The "Child of Rage" Beth Thomas also got her life together.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

pookel posted:

Here's a cheerier one - despite the headline - about a girl from a different horrific abuse case. I've posted about her before, but I guess she was on Dr. Phil this year.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/news/2017/07/19/girl-closet-says-tried-commit-suicide-30-times

I have never forgotten her story, since she was first rescued from her closet at age 8, starving, toddler-sized, and never having seen sunshine or grass. Those details were bad enough, but it came out later that she was also horrifically abused and sexually tortured by her mother and stepfather. It blows my mind how tough she is and how well she's put her life together since then, considering what she went through.

I think it’s nice that she and her sister are trying to have a relationship. She could so easily have written her off and I don’t think anyone would have blamed her, but to be able to come together and recognize that in a way they were both victims of abusive (albeit not in equal measure). There’s something about that that I’m not finding the word for.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

I think it’s nice that she and her sister are trying to have a relationship. She could so easily have written her off and I don’t think anyone would have blamed her, but to be able to come together and recognize that in a way they were both victims of abusive (albeit not in equal measure). There’s something about that that I’m not finding the word for.
I don't think it mentions them here, so I presume they want to avoid publicity, but there were actually four other kids in the home. I believe she has some kind of relationship with all her siblings, or she did last time I read a longform about her.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Heck, it sounds like her sister is a big part of why she wasn't even worse off, since at least one person there was making sure she was as clean as possible and had extra stuff to eat and interacted with her without hurting her. As a little kid herself, there's only so much the sister could do, but it could have helped like... brain development and stuff.

EDIT: Also, putting my two cents in: there's no shame in admitting you can't give a loved one the best care on your own and looking for a good group home. It's not abandoning them, it's letting them be cared for by trained professionals. My older sister had to be moved into a foster home when we were kids because my parents couldn't give her all the attention she needed without neglecting me and my brothers, and she's in a group home for adults now. She's happy and she's healthy and we see her regularly. I'm glad she's getting the care she needs to thrive.

PetraCore has a new favorite as of 03:04 on Dec 9, 2017

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

pookel posted:

I saw that episode of Dr Phil. Her girlfriend seemed super patient and understanding. :kiddo:

Pick posted:

The "Child of Rage" Beth Thomas also got her life together.
The "Child of Rage" doc has actually been harmful because it has given some credence to attachment therapy which is basically just child abuse.
The woman who treated her killed a child in a "rebirthing" session. Here's a transcript of the awful, awful thing (I think it's been posted here before).
http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/comment/candace.htm

Beth and her mom Nancy (a former dog groomer) are the biggest proponents of attachement therapy and even own and run a clinic for it.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Just got real drat dusty in here. Fuckin up my eyes.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
http://www.usmm.org/badger_state.html

quote:

...The wind blew away 2 liferafts, 35 men boarded a third raft, but a 2,000 pound bomb rolled out the hole in the side of the ship and capsized the liferaft.

Another freighter arrived to attempt a rescue, but many men were washed away in 30 foot seas while clinging to heaving lines, under attack from albatrosses....

What

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Neptune gets who he claims.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wait like... albatrosses like the birds? I guess I wasn't aware they attack humans. Are there any birds that aren't horrible monsters?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wait like... albatrosses like the birds? I guess I wasn't aware they attack humans. Are there any birds that aren't horrible monsters?

The only good bird is a dead bird. Eat all the birds.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Sounds like a survivor of the Aussie-Ostrich War.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Solice Kirsk posted:

whoah

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Solice Kirsk posted:

thus to all enemies

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
S. camelus delenda est

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Straight up gnarly

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Well, albatross is basically a giant seagull innit? And seagulls are assholes who eat anything they think they can take.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Solice Kirsk posted:

What flavour is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TTEWRKnRC0

If you were living in Chicago in the 1980s, and a nuclear war had broken out, this recording is what you would have seen.

Edited to add: A short account of the Emergency Broadcast System activating in error in early 1971. The scanned images of the received teletypes are chilling.

Pastry of the Year has a new favorite as of 14:07 on Dec 11, 2017