Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

The HongKonger did not get out to assist or render first aid

A shameful honkie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

no no no no no no no no no no no stop no no no no no please no no no way no no oop yup there it is

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\ That kid is probably dead.

Baronjutter posted:

Why are there so many videos of chinese people seemingly purposefully throwing them selves down the plethora of open pits and shafts that exist in the celestial empire? Sure there's tons of videos of people very much accidentally falling down some sort of pit because of extremely unsafe conditions, but almost every single video I've ever seen of someone seemingly purposefully driving or throwing them selves into a pit has come from china.

You pretty much have to live in China for some amount of time to really "get it".

Chinese drivers are sort of like those cats you see on youtube that get startled and run full-speed into walls. You startle a Chinese driver, and their brains lock-up and they go 110% into fight/flight mode. Instead of running into some drywall, they stomp the accelerator pedal into the oil pan and won't stop until they hit something. It's sort of like those 89 year-olds who confuse the brake/gas and never take their foot off the pedal until the officer arrives 5 minutes later and reaches inside the vehicle and turns off the key. The difference here being that they are not 89 years old.

Also, Canada lets them come here and drive with no further testing. All they have to do is show their Chinese license (that they bribed the clerk 700RMB for so they didn't have to do the test) and they can take their 1,700kg/3,800lb+ German murder-machines out on our roads. I've been driving in Calgary for 3 months and have had 4 nong-near-misses

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol that's terrible. Do they at least have to pay an expensive license conversion fee?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

peanut posted:

Lol that's terrible. Do they at least have to pay an expensive license conversion fee?

No and a lot of luxury car dealerships in the Richmond area (horrible suburb where all the new-money mainlanders move) outright give out fake licenses too. One of my neighbour's home-stay students didn't even have a chinese license so when he bought his 80k sports car that he needed for going to school in Canada for a year he had to go over to Richmond to buy the car since they could hook you up with a fake chinese license. You can only use them for up to 6 months or something but no one gives a poo poo and they almost never get caught and when they do it's just a minor fine that's nothing to their families and they get back on the road. Many of these teens will just drive without a license too, who gives a gently caress they're rich and going home in a few months anyways.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Rarely is the eventual accident so obvious for so long in one of these lol.

I figured they were gonna drive off into the construction ravine, but I expected the kid to be the cause, not the father mindlessly driving through the traffic cones.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

No and a lot of luxury car dealerships in the Richmond area (horrible suburb where all the new-money mainlanders move) outright give out fake licenses too. One of my neighbour's home-stay students didn't even have a chinese license so when he bought his 80k sports car that he needed for going to school in Canada for a year he had to go over to Richmond to buy the car since they could hook you up with a fake chinese license. You can only use them for up to 6 months or something but no one gives a poo poo and they almost never get caught and when they do it's just a minor fine that's nothing to their families and they get back on the road. Many of these teens will just drive without a license too, who gives a gently caress they're rich and going home in a few months anyways.

This one is still my favourite. Crashing a supercar after only a few km while only having basic insurance. :discourse:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I got a racing wheel for my PC recently so I can pretend to go fast. My girlfriend came over while I was playing so I offered her a turn. She was like “you remember I don’t know how to drive, right?” but I said she’d be fine.

She sat down, stepped on the gas, and immediately hit a small bump and flipped the car. :unsmith:

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Rubellavator posted:

I figured they were gonna drive off into the construction ravine, but I expected the kid to be the cause, not the father mindlessly driving through the traffic cones.

Yeah I kept watching the kids hands to see if he'd grab the handlebar and it never happened; then I got nervous thinking a car was going to fly into them instead.

the guy could have just cranked the handlebars in either direction, even if it meant tipping over. it's almost like he didnt realize they were moving or something - his face never really changes

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

McGavin posted:

This one is still my favourite. Crashing a supercar after only a few km while only having basic insurance. :discourse:

lol

That is, however, exactly the situation a Richmond resident, Jessica Liu, finds herself in, having driven the stunning limited edition — only 100 were made — for only a few kilometres before she inexplicably veered off the road and hit a large stone near Blundell and Garden City roads in December 2015.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
inexplicably

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

That may well be the least accurate representation of a country in the history of the world.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

LentThem posted:

his face never really changes

that's always my favorite part about these videos

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

McGavin posted:

quote:

“I don’t think it’s safe to drive. I just drove it for two weeks; I don’t trust the car, I don’t trust the dealer and I don’t trust the autoshop’s invoices.”

Didn't someone cite this tactic a few pages back? poo poo ain't gonna fly outside Mordor.

Also, these people are flocking to Richmond because it has "rich" in the name.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

VideoTapir posted:

Didn't someone cite this tactic a few pages back? poo poo ain't gonna fly outside Mordor.

How long til they cross the border and move to scenic, metropolitan Richland? :getin:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

VideoTapir posted:

Originally people liked it because it was close enough to the airport without being noisy, land was cheap back in the early 90's, and close enough to Vancouver. Oh yeah, it was also way easier to build your mcmansion in some sleepy suburb.

The "rich" in Richmond was kind of a consolation joke because everyone knew the real rich upper class folks lived along Marine Drive or West Vancouver.

If I lived in Coquitlam or somewhere far from the airport, I would not want to be on a plane and rather drive to Okanagan or something

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
rich mainland chinese tuhao living in the west is the most hypocritical thing to me

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

angel opportunity posted:

rich mainland chinese tuhao living in the west is the most hypocritical thing to me

care to elaborate?

Nouveau riche not having much taste and wanting to get a giant mcmansion to fulfill their class insecurities seems consistent enough to me :shrug:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think it's that 'tuhao' are notoriously pro-china, and yet for some reason don't live there when they have the pick of the world...

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Serephina posted:

I think it's that 'tuhao' are notoriously pro-china, and yet for some reason don't live there when they have the pick of the world...

That's the one.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah and they are suckers who blindly follow trends without giving too much thought.

I remember I got into an argument with my folks when they wanted to renovate their home. They wanted it to be "deluxe" and "like a 5 star hotel" which always weirded me out because who wants their home to look like some business? In retrospect I suppose they wanted their home to have all the amenities and luxuries and finishing touches of fancier hotels - luxury hotels do try extra hard to make things nicer than your regular middle class home.

Luckily they were not coal miner rich but upper middle/lower upper class rich so they were still kind of cheap. They have questionable personal tastes but thankfully they are not dumb and the last thing they wanted to do is to flaunt their wealth over their neighbours. They were happy enough to live in a suburb with a giant oversized house with a fireplace and giant fridge living the American Canadian dream.

Anyways, I guess stuff that tuhao's want in the west - I think a lot of it aligns with the McMansion hell checklist

CHEAP WALL PAPER WITH FLOWER MOTIFS
MARBLE
MULTIPLE GARAGES
EXPENSIVE CAR
PRESTIGIOUS PET
GOLD
ENDANGERED WOOD
IVORY
MCMANSION
POOL
EUROPEAN ART
ETHAN ALLEN FURNITURE
2 SETS OF STAIR CASE
2 DINING ROOMS
(From Northern China) - BOOZE ROOM
(From Southern China) - GAME ROOM

I regret being condescending towards them. I basically made fun of their upbringing and belittle their aspirations of luxury. We are all products of our environment after all.

What I want in a home

- Giant tv in the bedroom
- Fast internet
- Fast computer
- Big fridge
- BBQ
- Some artwork I like with some sort of theme in the living room
- Electrical bidet to squirt water up my butt
- Close to good public transportation and not too far away from the airport so I can easily GTFO

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I honestly can not think of a more hypocritical thing. It's embarrassing and disgusting

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Serephina posted:

Oh right, those guys. They do it just to park their money, they see immigration as residency jail and if they are extremely evil they become agents for the CCP to bring down the rest of the world because they believe in a zero sum political game

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

My cousin was asking me why I don't move to Vancouver since they are apparently dying for teachers. I told him my number one reason was the price of buying/renting property. Truth be known, my real #1 reason would be having to be in close proximity to Nouveau Riche mainlanders. Calgary is already bad enough, but Vancouver would be a living hell.

Also, are there any stats on the number of mainlanders who have immigrated to BC who actually have jobs? I swear at least 75% of them only exist to shop in luxury stores and eat out.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

caberham posted:

What I want in a home

- Giant tv in the bedroom
- Fast internet
- Fast computer
- Big fridge
- BBQ
- Some artwork I like with some sort of theme in the living room
- Electrical bidet to squirt water up my butt
- Close to good public transportation and not too far away from the airport so I can easily GTFO

No giant oven/range, huge gas stove and a fireplace/wood burning stove? For shame.

Blistex posted:

My cousin was asking me why I don't move to Vancouver since they are apparently dying for teachers. I told him my number one reason was the price of buying/renting property. Truth be known, my real #1 reason would be having to be in close proximity to Nouveau Riche mainlanders. Calgary is already bad enough, but Vancouver would be a living hell.

Also, are there any stats on the number of mainlanders who have immigrated to BC who actually have jobs? I swear at least 75% of them only exist to shop in luxury stores and eat out.

There's a whole bunch of Chinese permanent residents who got deported after it was found they were doing shady poo poo like using false passports and lying about place of residence.

I've noticed more 'Asian' tourists in my small town, they've been pretty cool as far as I can tell so either they were Canadian born or didn't buy in to this thread's stereotypes. The worst tourists continue to be Albertans who have mastered the subtle art of tailgating but haven't completed the overtaking modal of the owning a big truck workbook.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 11, 2017

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Outrail posted:

No giant oven/range, huge gas stove and a fireplace/wood burning stove? For shame.

Aga or get out

Also open fires are just loving good, nothing about appearances.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

simplefish posted:

Aga or get out

Also open fires are just loving good, nothing about appearances.

I was not aware of the expensive AGA's. I'll never have my dream home at this rate.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Blistex posted:

Come on man there are actually lots of mainlanders with regular jobs and all because they are just trying to keep their heads down and bring their families over. They probably came over during the 80's or earlier and got rolled in with the wave of Hong Kongers. I suppose they rather move to the states instead. Quite a few 2nd generation Chinese American goons I met have mainland heritage.

Besides, Calgary is just a wasteland or a stop over for Banff :downsrim:

Outrail posted:

If I lived in a place which needed heat I rather have floor heating and save space. I guess Oven/range is supposed to be another requirement but all the houses I lived in my life whether Asia/Canada also came with one. Whoops. I get to use an induction burner now and it's kind of cute! I feel so urban right now!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

I've noticed more 'Asian' tourists in my small town, they've been pretty cool as far as I can tell so either they were Canadian born or didn't buy in to this thread's stereotypes. The worst tourists continue to be Albertans who have mastered the subtle art of tailgating but haven't completed the overtaking modal of the owning a big truck workbook.

Only city living Canadians would consider going to a small town for tourism because Asian tourists are more aware of developing world poverty/lacklustre infrastructure.

The only exception I can think of top of my head is Japanese tourist. They really really really like going to PEI and all grew up reading Anne of Green Gables

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Blistex posted:

Fundamentally, that is all rich people do.

Outrail posted:

The retard tourists only go to famous tourist traps, a lot of them don't visit the interior at all.

I did a racism yesterday, was driving around Vancouver at night and this big lifted truck started tailgating me for miles. I was pretty annoyed because it was foggy as poo poo and you couldn't see more than 10 feet in front of you so I was cussing this guy out for being (in my mind) some Albertan with an idiot wish to rearend me. We eventually got to a light and he pulls up beside me, so I had to get a look at him. I turn and I see a really skinny, pretty drat old Chinese guy sitting calmly with one hand on the wheel and his other hand stroking his kung-fu master beard. It was really loving weird and he peeled away into the cross street after signalling.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Having grown up during the car stealing height in Poland in the 90's I can't help but imagine that Vancouver would be fertile grounds for a car thief gang targeting the tuhaos.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

fish and chips and dip posted:

Having grown up during the car stealing height in Poland in the 90's I can't help but imagine that Vancouver would be fertile grounds for a car thief gang targeting the tuhaos.

you can just pick them up at the airport when they ditch them to fly back during semester breaks

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3af_1512896860

Chinese acrobating done wrong. NSFW if you don't want to see some dudes break themselves.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Blistex posted:

A lot of the least-English competent students I had in Chengdu were eventually sent to Vancouver once it became clear that they weren't going to make it through our program. It's like a tuhao failure dumping ground. The family gets rid of a loser kid and has an excuse to snap up that sweet BC real estate in one go.

I thought people were joking until one of them came back. Spent two years in Vancouver and two years in an immersive English high school before that, and not one word of English.

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gorilla Salad posted:

That may well be the least accurate representation of a country in the history of the world.

Find peace, ya oval office.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Second Sun posted:

Find peace, ya oval office.

I did, no worries mate.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Most of the Finns I know are hot blonde Jiu-Jitsu ladies, and that's pretty much what I want in a woman, so cool beans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WleCHC1gsRU

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Yep, Swedes think stuff about Finns

"Know the difference between Finnish and Swedish women?
In Finland, daughters dress like their mothers.
In Sweden, mothers dress like their daughters."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'm from Finland and I confirm everything.

• Locked thread