Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'm waiting for the actual entire week of uninterrupted TTGO, it's going to happen at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I did the math, and it would take 4 broadcast days to air all of TTG.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The season has begun! Cartoon Network's first Christmas special of the year is: The Elf on the Shelf Presents An Elf's Story!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I know Elf on the Shelf is technically just an extension of the old Santa knows if you're naughty or nice bit, but it still creeps me out, and it involves an even deeper level of lying to children than Santa normally involves.

And at the end of the day, it's just a more intense level of the same threat that most parents are never going to follow through on.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Much like The Santa Lie prepares children for a world in which a clear falsehood is widely accepted and believed in the vain hope of preserving some level of common decency and prosperity among the masses, Elf on the Shelf prepares children for a world in which mass surveillance devices are literally everywhere and even the slightest transgression against The Harmonious Order is instantly reported to and judged by a capricious unaccountable authoritarian regime.

Also, to scare kids out of wanking off in their rooms, but a viewing of Toy Story also works just as well for that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

TwoPair posted:

Seriously, drat. I like Go too but it is becoming increasingly difficult to defend it when faced with its crushing domination of the schedule.

Yeah but it was a while back IIRC. Like over a decade back.

I don't remember that, are you sure you're not thinking of June Bugs? Even that was only like two hours of cartoons repeated for 24 hours.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

I know Elf on the Shelf is technically just an extension of the old Santa knows if you're naughty or nice bit, but it still creeps me out, and it involves an even deeper level of lying to children than Santa normally involves.

And at the end of the day, it's just a more intense level of the same threat that most parents are never going to follow through on.

This is an interesting take on why it's terrible, as opposed to "there's a creepy mannequin spying on you everywhere you go, sowing fear and anxiety into your personality from a young age, all stemming from a made up "tradition" someone came up with a decade ago that manages to be shittier than Hess trucks"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also yeah, the loving balls to debut your product as a "tradition"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh don't get me wrong, the fact that it's a crude corporate cash grab and the preparing children to be paranoid and living in a police state is also awful on its own, but then after that, whole buy-in that's supposed to make parents get in on this horrible thing is the fact that the rest of christmas tradition isn't enough gaslighting children for them.

Like everybody's supposed to nudge nudge wink wink respect the beliefs that parents feed their children about Santa, from local malls to NORAD, but the Elf on the Shelf belief feels harmful and I just wanna crush it wherever I see it.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
The kids at work all seem to love those things, as do my coworkers who are parents. I seem to be alone in disliking them, in my workplace anyway. Posing them during the night so that the kids find them in the morning playing with mum's makeup or eating cookies or whatever seems to be the focus more than the 'they watch you' angle, at least as far as I've spotted.

On the other hand they've started selling elf branded fake CCTV cameras, so they can get to gently caress.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I remember working at a tutoring center and the owner put one in the center because they also raised their kids with it. I picked it up and messed with it a little and was told by the kid to put it back because you're not supposed to touch him (it's one of the rules of Elf on the Shelf apparently). It's a dumb as gently caress tradition, IMO.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I wonder if we could get Krampus on the Shelf to take o...

...oh.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive told this story before but my cousin locked the elf ina box and declared that if Santa wanted his elf back unharmed she had a list of demands.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
While the Elf on a Shelf "tradition" is relatively new(at least as a widespread thing), that style of Elf doll is pretty old(my mom collects them)

Also it's not always used as a form of abuse, my dad and step-mom do it with my youngest sister(who is 8 currently) and she loves it, this year she even went out of her way to setup a big doll house she had so the Elf had somewhere to stay(although conversely this year she's developed an obsession with catching Santa, and even bought a "security camera" to try and get him on film, although she doesn't realize the camera is fake), admittedly they downplay the "don't be naughty" aspect a fair bit

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I don't know if that's wise. Santa has a very particular set of skills...

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
If you frame it as “he’s santa’s helper who helps make christmas fun” than “he’s santa’s informant, welcome to the panopticon”, it’s less horrifying.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Neeksy posted:

If you frame it as “he’s santa’s helper who helps make christmas fun” than “he’s santa’s informant, welcome to the panopticon”, it’s less horrifying.

They basically treat it as somewhere in the middle of those two points

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The elf actually just needs somewhere to crash for a few days and they tell him that he's watching the kids just so he doesn't feel too worthless. He's too hungover to remember most of what he sees anyway.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Now Jews can get in on the "fun" too.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Oddly I haven't seen a single one of those "you've heard of elf on the shelf, now get ready for _________" memes that were loving everywhere during the summer.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I legitimately had never heard of Elf on the Shelf before this year.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
I had seen Elf on the Shelf around for years, but didn't know anything about it until I read this article that explained how the "tradition" worked.

quote:

At my house, on day two, she saw the elf in a little chair in the corner, surrounded by a string of Hello Kitty Christmas lights with a chirpy note suggesting she “add a little holiday cheer to this place.” Grace retreated, scrambled up my body like a monkey climbs a banana tree, and flung her little arms around my neck. She squeezed her eyes shut and buried her head in my shoulder.

“Cover my eyes! Cover my eyes!” she screamed.

The elf, as if haunted, slipped down behind the chair to the floor. I got tongs from the kitchen to pick it up, but Grace wouldn’t let me go near it, nor would she let go of my neck. She was petrified, and started to do something in between crying and hyperventilating.

I felt for her. This is the decade of the NSA and Edward Snowden, of social media and all-knowing data: we can all understand the unease that comes with a lack of privacy, the sensation that you’re always being watched, in some way, by someone. A tiny toy ratting to Santa is a different caliber of intrusion, but Grace was onto the truth: everyone wants to keep parts of their lives to themselves, especially in their own home. Even if you’re only four years old.

“Grace, do you want me to tell you the truth about the elf?” I asked, snuggling her in my lap on the couch.

She nodded, sniffling.

“The elf is a just a toy. It’s not magic. It can’t see you. The only way it moves around is because I move it when you’re asleep. Daddy has one too and does the same thing at his house so it looks like the elf follows you.”

She looked up at me with big serious eyes. “So you lied to me.”

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Spikey posted:

Now Jews can get in on the "fun" too.

It turns out that the Mensch on a Bench has a whole extended family of characters. Today I saw in a store Ask Bubbe, the talking jewish grandmother doll.

It all seems like a weird joke.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Beachcomber posted:

I wonder if we could get Krampus on the Shelf to take o...

...oh.

This feels much more appropriate for an oppressive entity that stalks and judges you. I kind of love it.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

So I've been catching up on The Amazing World of Gumball, I've been blazing through Season 5, mostly good stuff, but then I got to The Worst, which had this really weird alt-right-y "Take that!" against SJW's, including using the actual word "Social Justice Warrior"? So does the show keep getting political or edgelord-y or was that just a one off lovely thing? I'd rather know before I continue to watch current episodes.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Wasn't Gumball shown in the wrong in that ep? Most of the more recent political-y eps go in an opposite direction (like having a trump stand in)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Not liking how social justice is talked about on the web doesn't make you alt-right or against any aspect of social justice.
There were even counterpoints brought up in the episode to how Gumball was devaluing the discourse of serious issues to try to one-up someone else.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Not liking how social justice is talked about on the web doesn't make you alt-right or against any aspect of social justice.

The internet is an extension of our real life, and the "SJW's are just so offended about everything!" joke is an extremely common talking point in the alt-right crowd. The things Gumball was saying was almost word-for-word what extreme right wing people use to make fun of anyone progressive. One thing that is for certain is that r/The_Donald and other weird internet nazis latched onto the episode when it was posted online, which I really hope wasn't the intention of the writers of the episode.

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Wasn't Gumball shown in the wrong in that ep? Most of the more recent political-y eps go in an opposite direction (like having a trump stand in)

Hemingway To Go! posted:

There were even counterpoints brought up in the episode to how Gumball was devaluing the discourse of serious issues to try to one-up someone else.

These, on the other hand, are valid points. I had forgotten that that was brought up within the same conversation. I also had no idea about there being other politically-charged episodes, which is why I asked.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Violence posted:

The internet is an extension of our real life, and the "SJW's are just so offended about everything!" joke is an extremely common talking point in the alt-right crowd. The things Gumball was saying was almost word-for-word what extreme right wing people use to make fun of anyone progressive. One thing that is for certain is that r/The_Donald and other weird internet nazis latched onto the episode when it was posted online, which I really hope wasn't the intention of the writers of the episode.

You can't pay attention to Reddit, man. They latch on to anything that even vaguely supports their worldview even if the context of the comic/cartoon/image doesn't actually say what they want it to.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/Gingerhazing/status/940674287559622656

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess it'll probably better than the He-Man revival, but I still think there's only so much you can do with trying to revive a trash 80s cartoon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess it'll probably better than the He-Man revival, but I still think there's only so much you can do with trying to revive a trash 80s cartoon.

Hey, the He-Man revival was pretty good.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

And honestly the original He-Man is actually not that bad, especially when you keep in mind a lot of the factors that fed into it being what it was

Kinda surprised we're getting a She-Ra revival first though

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

also for context noelle was the one who wrote the excellent nimona as well as a bunch of lumberjanes. someone with the same name was in the creidts for the ducktales reboot but I don’t know if it was her or not.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The only thing I remember from the mid-2000s He-man was Mechaneck's frustration, because his power meant his main use was recon and he hated recon. That's the only thing I remember with any detail at all.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

From what I recall, the new He-Man went roughly the way the new Thundercats went, starting out cool with a lot of promise, but then it doesn't go much of anywhere and fizzles out as it gets boring.

It was a real accomplishment with Thundercats. Somehow they managed to stay kinda dull and boring even when they were revealing that the fantasy world was all the result of some wacky sci-fi setup.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
At least the 2000s He-man makes it plausible that Adam and He-man artn't the same person by giving them different body builds.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 14, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SlothfulCobra posted:

From what I recall, the new He-Man went roughly the way the new Thundercats went, starting out cool with a lot of promise, but then it doesn't go much of anywhere and fizzles out as it gets boring.
New HeGuy didnt have any hooks aside from maybe seeing Skeletor self-own, some dumb teases about Snakemen, and the various character updates.
The animation and fighting scenes were good, though. They probably fell victim to ToySalesitis.

Thundercats had a continuous stream of cool worldbuilding and character/story bits, eventually tieing into Silverhawks via MonStar.
And no one cared, sadly enough.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Trebuchet King posted:

someone with the same name was in the creidts for the ducktales reboot but I don’t know if it was her or not.

She was also a writer on season 2 of Wander Over Yonder

it was her on those ducktales eps, but given this show I doubt she stayed on the show long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Thundercats had a continuous stream of cool worldbuilding and character/story bits, eventually tieing into Silverhawks via MonStar.
And no one cared, sadly enough.

I cared :(