Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JBP posted:

A camera operator at a rock and roll show got kicked by a performer :ohdear:

I agree, workers don’t deserve to be safe at work, that’s why I wholeheartedly support the ABCC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I think he was going for a cool kicking out photo but was so high or generally off chops in other ways that he hosed up, which is weird since he needed to have some kind of life saving operation due to being a coke addict and has been clean for a long time as far as I know.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Did we ever find out who the facial queen was?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Did we ever find out who the facial queen was?

Recoome posted:

Nigella noooooooo

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Birdstrike posted:

shame he missed

Can you prove he did, and that JPB isn't having a leakesque malfunction?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

JBP posted:

I think he was going for a cool kicking out photo but was so high or generally off chops in other ways that he hosed up, which is weird since he needed to have some kind of life saving operation due to being a coke addict and has been clean for a long time as far as I know.

It's good that you refuted your own theory in your own post. Saves everyone else the trouble

Being high when you kick somone in the face does not mitigate the fact that you kicked someone in the face.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
unless you were intoxicated without your consent!

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

thatbastardken posted:

unless you were intoxicated without your consent!

I dunno, i have been intoxicated a lot, and managed to not kick anyone in the head.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NPR Journalizard posted:

I dunno, i have been intoxicated a lot, and managed to not kick anyone in the head.

I kicked myself in the head when I was pissed.
It was more of a knee really, I loosened some teeth.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EoinCannon posted:

I kicked myself in the head when I was pissed.
It was more of a knee really, I loosened some teeth.

Did you? Or did you headbutt your knee?

Either way, thats some decent flexibility.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NPR Journalizard posted:

Did you? Or did you headbutt your knee?

Either way, thats some decent flexibility.

I threw a sausage roll up in the air and tried to kick it (shameful act), I must have ducked my head a fair way cos I'm not very flexible

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Anyone know anything about the new ALP cabinet?

Also, Grace Grace? Is that correct?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Zenithe posted:

Yes, her middle name is Graziella, so Grace Grace.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Gracezilla, you say?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Minister for grey hound racing

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Zenithe posted:

Anyone know anything about the new ALP cabinet?

One of only five Assistant Ministers is 23 years old and I feel like I’ve achieved nothing in life.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Minister for Shitposting: David "Anidav" Titanium

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

*walks into cabinet meeting wearing a WWE 'King of Shitposting' Belt*

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

So you're the QLD ALP answer to Sam Dastyari?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Stay out of Hong Kong

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

Stay out of Hong Kong the South China Sea Senkaku Korea

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

iajanus posted:

Watching the video of it he definitely kicks out and for no reason that makes any sense except to intentionally kick something he was looking at. Unless you consider it normal to just randomly stop and kick at things whilst walking along. Saying he just clipped it sounds like a pretty good job of minimising what happened.

http://variety.com/2017/music/news/josh-homme-kicks-female-photographer-in-the-head-at-kroq-acoustic-christmas-exclusive-1202635338/ for video.

Oh now I get this tweet from Frenzal:

https://twitter.com/Frenzalofficial/status/940019317541711872

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Homme has always been a fuckstick

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Anidav posted:

You joke but there’s legit now a Cabinet Minister for “Digital Technology”.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Probably a goon.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

frenzal rhomb still exist?!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

quote:

Recent headlines have flagged a fall in Australian capital city house prices. But does it mean anything for you?

CoreLogic's November Hedonic Home Value Index showed that in November there was a -0.1 per cent fall in capital city dwelling values. This was, however, offset by a 0.2 per cent rise in regional values.

During the quarter ending in November, house values went backwards in Sydney (-1.3 per cent) and Darwin (-2.7 per cent). Sydney is crucial in national housing data: it holds one-third of the country's housing value. But if you look at the big picture, there is no need to panic.

Firstly, capital cities are coming off very strong growth trends – the types of price rises we've seen so far are hard to sustain long term. It's no surprise the market needs to take a breather.

But if property values do fall, what effect does it really have on you?

A few tips:

Don't panic: property value is influenced by market sentiment, interest rates and economic data. You can do nothing about these factors, but you can control your investment timeline: view property in 10-year windows, and try to buy well. Take the panic out of it.

Two-way traffic: Australian house prices don't always rise: they fell in the early 1950s, the early 1990s, in 2008 and 2010. Realise that the market will always have ups and downs – it's the nature of it.

Realised losses: value indices are theoretical until you sell and realise a loss or gain. As long as you meet repayments, the bank doesn't call in a loan just because the value drops. You can still live there and wait until prices rise.

Renovations and investments: this is where a slump can become real. If you want to access equity to fund a renovation or buy an investment property, a lower house value could crimp your borrowing power.

Short term: given the time and costs of buying and selling property, a short-term "flipping" strategy could be uneconomic if values trend down. Fix this by thinking long term.

Giant pool: don't be fooled by terms such as "Sydney property" or "Australian housing". They're vast markets and an "average" or even a "median" may not mean much to you. Lenders are very specific, using a valuer's assessment right down to the street and house.

Budget: only when you're forced to sell do low property values become an issue. So, take control of your household budget, ensuring you can meet repayments and retain your house through a price slump. This is crucial when interest rates start to rise.

Protection: along with household finances, ensure you have adequate insurances to cover repayments in case you can't work. Don't be forced to sell when the market is down – that's when you lose money.

Advice: if you're worried about values, stay close to experts such as mortgage brokers and real estate agents. Don't be panicked – be informed.

The family home is most people's largest asset, and it's normal to be concerned about its value. But always base your decisions on real information and expert advice.

I can't help reading between the lines here that they really don't want a bunch of boomers panic selling at the first hint of a downturn

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/940180862611505153

rofl

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Synthbuttrange posted:

The Doctor was the worst Triple J talent in the history of the word "talent".

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Lid posted:

The Doctor was the worst Triple J talent in the history of the word "talent".

Sam Simmons and Tom Tilley both want words

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

50/50 2pp :munch:

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

Not only do they still exist, they're still fucken good mate.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yeah, they released an album in August. Not as good as their last one and certainly nowhere near as good as their classic stuff.

Now TISM on the other hand...

Edit: many people say Frenzal peaked in the late 90s and others say Forever Malcolm Young was their last good album but IMO Smoko At The Pet Food Factory, released in 2011, is an extremely good album. Can't really say the same for their most recent album. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a listen.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Dec 11, 2017

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

hiddenmovement posted:

Sam Simmons and Tom Tilley both want words

and Tom Ballard

AgentF
May 11, 2009

I can literally hear the people smugglers' dicks hardening. Those dicks are salivating.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

cheese-cube posted:

Yeah, they released an album in August. Not as good as their last one and certainly nowhere near as good as their classic stuff.

Now TISM on the other hand...

Edit: many people say Frenzal peaked in the late 90s and others say Forever Malcolm Young was their last good album but IMO Smoko At The Pet Food Factory, released in 2011, is an extremely good album. Can't really say the same for their most recent album. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a listen.

rip Tokin Blackman

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Who the gently caress are the CDP?

If they are conservative hacks wouldn't LNP + CON + CDP save the Libs?

Oh, Fred Nile? I gotta rub my eyes I haven't seen that option in a poll for Yonks

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Kafka Syrup posted:

You joke but there’s legit now a Cabinet Minister for “Digital Technology”.

Minister for Bitcoin

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Anidav posted:

Who the gently caress are the CDP?

If they are conservative hacks wouldn't LNP + CON + CDP save the Libs?

Oh, Fred Nile? I gotta rub my eyes I haven't seen that option in a poll for Yonks

They are stupidly big amongst Chinese christians to the point of not even being able to order takeaway without being handed 50 VOTE CDP flyers

This actually happened when I was in the area a couple days back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Social media used to 'pressure' insurers costing industry millions, peak body says

The use of social media to "pressure" insurers into paying out claims is costing companies millions and driving up premiums, according to the peak-body for the insurance industry.

The Insurance Council of Australia's Campbell Fuller said dissatisfied customers taking their gripes of rejected claims to Twitter and Facebook can cause a number of problems, including reputational harm for insurers.

"It can have an impact on the cost of acquiring a new customer, or moving a customer from one insurer to another," Mr Fuller said.

"And because those costs are embedded in the business, they can affect the premium that customers are paying. So it does have some impact.

"When a company is trying to sell a product to a customer, it falls down the Google rankings and therefore it's harder for a new customer to see that particular company."

Mr Fuller said customer pressure over a claim can sometimes lead to payouts where they are not due.

"Other factors involved are that we have customers complaining on social media or using social media to try and leverage an insurance company," he said.
"And insurance company may feel under pressure to pay a claim even if that claim is not fair. Even if that claim is actually not legitimate or only partially legitimate.

"Simply because when there are issues and disputes, the costs of not paying the claim can actually be higher than the cost of actually paying the claim."

Social media holding businesses accountable

Social media holding businesses accountable

But some social media experts are sceptical of the claims, saying insurance companies should be using social media to listen to their customers.

Facebook and Twitter are often the places people go when they want to vent their displeasure.

Mark Pesche, a digital culture expert at the University of Sydney, said online accountability had actually improved customer service across many businesses.

"Any company that is so afraid of social media, it means that they haven't been interacting with their customers and so they're feeling like they're being attacked by them," he said.

"That's probably a sign to those businesses that they need to interact with their customers more continuously and more regularly so that they can actually put those problems to bed.

"Social media is how customers voice their opinions all the time, and any company that isn't listening to it isn't doing their job and also isn't getting the important feedback."
But Dr Pesche said while social media had made businesses more accountable, it was something that should not always be trusted.

"You actually have to be super careful because sometimes people will post things that are false," he said.

"Like a competitor will plant something, and that will then be a way of undermining a competitor. So you have to regard these things a little suspiciously."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-11/customers-using-social-media-to-pressure-insurers-peak-body/9246392

• Locked thread