Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

I mean this would have more of a point, which may well exist, if it wasn't being posted by a humourless gently caress-pipe of a human being whose ego is so very easily bruised that he cannot stomach disagreement beneath his articles. The messenger delivering the message is, after all, also the message.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Josef bugman posted:

I mean this would have more of a point, which may well exist, if it wasn't being posted by a humourless gently caress-pipe of a human being whose ego is so very easily bruised that he cannot stomach disagreement beneath his articles. The messenger delivering the message is, after all, also the message.

Right like he said "The determination not just to refute opposing arguments but to ban them and destroy their proponents is everywhere. "

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

hakimashou posted:

Right like he said "The determination not just to refute opposing arguments but to ban them and destroy their proponents is everywhere. "

How would me commenting underneath an article "destroy" the article? I mean I would disagree because Nick Cohen has no points. Because, let us look at what Corbyn has consistently voted on throughout his history in the house and it has always been against expansion of the state into peoples private lives. Like the "moderates" Cohen writes about tried to introduce ID cards and detention without trial, Corbyn voted against that. So, why would this person then institute a "Leninist" state?

And he seems to ignore the fact that the very guy he was quoting accused his writing of possessing: "manifold fallacies of reasoning, grotesquely inapt analogies and factual errors".

Source for the later:

https://twitter.com/n_srnck/status/939577025270034438

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
He probably doesnt care what random angry people have to say about his articles so why bother having a comments section?

He very obviously enjoys winding people up.

hakimashou has issued a correction as of 23:51 on Dec 10, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

hakimashou posted:

He probably doesnt care what random angry people have to say about his articles so why bother having a comments section?

if that was true the comments wouldn't be disabled on his articles lol

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

hakimashou posted:

So he is shutting people up and also, at the same time, decrying it? Why is it okay for him to do it?

Also, how am I angry in this? I am pointing out inaccuracies, not getting into a lather?

I am sure he does, but if your defence is "trolling lol" then I think you shouldn't be a commentator. You have responsibilities and if you want to bring in humour it had best be actually funny. What sort of loon actually gets off on being disliked?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Jose posted:

if that was true the comments wouldn't be disabled on his articles lol

Look at how many people complain about the comments not being up though.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Josef bugman posted:

So he is shutting people up and also, at the same time, decrying it? Why is it okay for him to do it?

Also, how am I angry in this? I am pointing out inaccuracies, not getting into a lather?

I am sure he does, but if your defence is "trolling lol" then I think you shouldn't be a commentator. You have responsibilities and if you want to bring in humour it had best be actually funny. What sort of loon actually gets off on being disliked?

How is he shutting anyone up?

Anyway plenty of people like him I bet. I like him a lot!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

hakimashou posted:

How is he shutting anyone up?

Anyway plenty of people like him I bet. I like him a lot!

By, not letting them address him in a public forum? Like on a website?

Then that is fine, but if he is doing it to "wind people up" then clearly he must get off on being disliked, or is he that silly that he enjoys being widely disliked for coming up with terrible views that are easily refuted? Like really simple views that can't have been thought through all that much? Also, if you don't mind me asking why do you like him? He comes across as both exceedingly thin skinned, his politics seem to be merely repeating various "up to the minute" utterances and vague platitudes.

Josef bugman has issued a correction as of 02:04 on Dec 11, 2017

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
edit: stop the presses i'm dumb

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 03:11 on Dec 11, 2017

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Nick Cohen is a blathering piece of poo poo who boosted the Iraq war which should automatically disbar him from being paid for his stupid opinions

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Josef bugman posted:

By, not letting them address him in a public forum? Like on a website?

Then that is fine, but if he is doing it to "wind people up" then clearly he must get off on being disliked, or is he that silly that he enjoys being widely disliked for coming up with terrible views that are easily refuted? Like really simple views that can't have been thought through all that much? Also, if you don't mind me asking why do you like him? He comes across as both exceedingly thin skinned, his politics seem to be merely repeating various "up to the minute" utterances and vague platitudes.

There's all sorts of people in the world, what fun would it be if we were all the same?

I like him because of the columns of his that I've read. I think we have a lot of politics in common and he's provocative.

For example, I hadn't seen the problematic strain in twitter-age leftism nailed to the wall quite so perfectly as in his last column.

I'm distrustful of people who want to aggressively police what others think and say, and it's even more chilling when they form a mob. It's kin to the worst kind of authoritarianism, puritanism and orthodoxy.

I've chilled a bit towards Corbyn since the display he put on at the UN. I'm mainly just glad I'd never be in the position to have to hold my nose and vote for him. I don't envy you britons your political situation, even in this very dark age of Trump.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

hakimashou posted:

Dropping truth bombs like that is a war crime.

:hai:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

the left needs just as much education on how to get along with people of differing opinions as the right does

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
These dang politicians calling for international community and rights of the many people over the few rich.

Just chills mah blood :argh:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

fridge corn posted:

the left needs just as much education on how to get along with people of differing opinions as the right does

actually we need to gulag and guillotine them

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

hakimashou posted:

I'm mainly just glad I'd never be in the position to have to hold my nose and vote for him. I don't envy you britons your political situation, even in this very dark age of Trump.

Labour: Fairly un-remarkable soc-dem platform, concentrating on infostructure investment and fairer taxation and a strong welfare state, all policies proven to work and work very well given the Human Development Index, Happiness and quality of life rankings given to the nordic states. Also against austerity as an ideological lie that cannot work (you can't cut your way out of debt). the only result of the last decade of austerity has been a massive increase in personal debt.

Conservatives: Morally bankrupt scum who have killed tens of thousands of people over the last decade, persue policies that we know DO NOT WORK, at a detriment to some of the most disadvantaged in society, have pushed hundreds of people to suicide, have driven the nations finances into the loving ground, called brexit then hosed it. responsable for deruglation of financial products and servies that lead directly to the 2008 crash. currently making us a loving laughing stock worldwide. Edit: responasble for a whole loving shopping list of human rights violations.

Libdems: somethingsomething gay frog milk

A loving idiot, just a god drat loving idiot posted:

BOY IT SURE IS HARD TO CHOSE BETWEEN THEM, ILL HAVE TO HOLD MY NOSE.....

Wanting a small section of society to stop literally killing vast swathes of people just for personal profit is a cool and good mentality for a mob to have and mayhaps it is good that people against that get shouted down for being fuckwit thumb people.

Pound_Coin has issued a correction as of 12:31 on Dec 11, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

The thing about most Conservatives is that they don't want to cause harm to people it's just this is what they have genuinely Bern led to believe is best for people and the country. A more inclusive message from the left is needed if you're ever going to educate people. Threatening to guillotine or imprison non-believers is perhaps unsurprisingly an ineffective strategy

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'm not trying to win them over i'm hoping they die

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

then maybe you should be the change you wish to see in the world :twisted:

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
libdems are the only moral choice because of their brexit stance

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

Wrong.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i don't actually trust the libdems to reverse brexit even fi they somehow did win a general election on that alone

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

fridge corn posted:

The thing about most Conservatives is that they don't want to cause harm to people it's just this is what they have genuinely Bern led to believe is best for people and the country. A more inclusive message from the left is needed if you're ever going to educate people. Threatening to guillotine or imprison non-believers is perhaps unsurprisingly an ineffective strategy

nah most conservatives genuinely do want to punish "scroungers" and immigrants and will actively vote against even their own material interests in order to do so imo

they're also big fans of bombing the poo poo out of foreigners and leaving people to drown in the med if they fail a paper bag test, so gently caress 'em

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
just lol at repping liberals in 2017

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

fridge corn posted:

this is manifestly untrue, there isn't a single day that goes by without some Conservative Intellectual talking about the crazy left are all traitors who deserve to be shot

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Is Vince Cable, the guy who got fired from the Coalition within a week for chatting up some student reporter, still claiming to be the UK's Macron?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
if anything, the broader problem with the left and liberal-left is that they fail to recognize the lengths that right-wingers will go to ratfuck them, and refuse to respond in kind

"when they go low, we go high" *loses the election*

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Conservatives will happily burn down the country to be king of the ashes.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

rudatron posted:

this is manifestly untrue, there isn't a single day that goes by without some Conservative Intellectual talking about the crazy left are all traitors who deserve to be shot

Are you surprised that right wingers are saying these things, especially in response to left wingers saying the exact same things about them (examples in this very thread do I even have to point it out?)

The they started, no they started it discourse is not what I'm talking about

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

Same, only it's 2010 and re: tuition fees.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

rudatron posted:

if anything, the broader problem with the left and liberal-left is that they fail to recognize the lengths that right-wingers will go to ratfuck them, and refuse to respond in kind

"when they go low, we go high" *loses the election*

This is part of the liberal pathology of treating politics as a sport with teams - acting as if there are rules to follow and then whining to the refs when the other sides (left and right) treat it as an ideological power struggle

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Inescapable Duck posted:

Conservatives will happily burn down the country to be king of the ashes.

Since you bring it up, seems like the boy is being absolute on this subject as well.

quote:

The failure to rehouse most of the Grenfell Tower fire survivors after six months is disgraceful, Jeremy Corbyn has said as a prominent Labour MP accused the council of treating affected people as consumers.

In a statement released on Monday, as the inquiry into the disaster was due to open for two days of hearings, the Labour leader said: “It is a disgrace that the majority of Grenfell residents have still not been given homes and that tower blocks across our country have still not been made safe. We need answers from the government and we need action.

“Grenfell was an entirely avoidable human disaster. The government must act now to prevent it from being repeated.”

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

fridge corn posted:

Are you surprised that right wingers are saying these things, especially in response to left wingers saying the exact same things about them (examples in this very thread do I even have to point it out?)

this is just a piss poor paraphrasing of the "if you punch nazis you're just as bad as them" bullshit from months back

right wing backlash doesn't come from a bunch of internet nobodies talking about guillotines, it comes from a racially charged politics of atavistic resentment and the demagoguery of an increasingly worried ruling class in a time of nearly unprecedented material inequality

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

TomViolence posted:

this is just a piss poor paraphrasing of the "if you punch nazis you're just as bad as them" bullshit from months back

right wing backlash doesn't come from a bunch of internet nobodies talking about guillotines, it comes from a racially charged politics of atavistic resentment and the demagoguery of an increasingly worried ruling class in a time of nearly unprecedented material inequality

That's not what I'm saying at all. Maybe you should have spent more time reading the posts you are replying to and less time looking up words in a thesaurus

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

fridge corn posted:

That's not what I'm saying at all. Maybe you should have spent more time reading the posts you are replying to and less time looking up words in a thesaurus

wait a minute

fridge corn posted:

what is your point, then?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

TomViolence posted:

wait a minute

what is your point, then?

My point is that violence and violent rhetoric isn't helpful for achieving your political aims in fact it may be detrimental

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fridge corn posted:

My point is that violence and violent rhetoric isn't helpful for achieving your political aims in fact it may be detrimental

your point runs against the entirety of human history, maybe crack open a book you dingus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

your point runs against the entirety of human history, maybe crack open a book you dingus

Have you picked up your Kalashnikov and joined the revolution yet?