Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

oRenj9 posted:

The Cayenne is The Best Porsche.

Whenever I get a loaner Cayenne I'm struck at how ridiculously big it feels compared to the Macan. The Macan drives like a car. The Cayenne drives like a truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If they made one that split the difference between the quadrifoglio and the base, with say 350 HP in a V6, I’d be driving it right now.

The chassis is really good and the steering makes the whole care feel very alive. If I had 80k to spend on a car I’d be in the QV and if I only had about 45k I’d be in the base model with LSD. But at 60 grand the M2 was the most attractive option.

I think there is a version like that in Europe, but they might not bring it here if the other ones don’t sell.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
I'm assuming people have played with the tune in the Giulia? How well does it respond?

Nevermind nobody's tuned it because they're all on lease.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

drgitlin posted:

I think there is a version like that in Europe, but they might not bring it here if the other ones don’t sell.

The q2 model(rear wheel drive with a LSD) for the super and business trim is selling less units than the quadrifoglio in its home market so i don't think it going to exist for much longer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's annoying because if you look at the Alfa market for 105/115s the low-trim ones with sporting features are incredibly popular. Juniors with LSDs, etc sold decently at the time and sell very well now. I do think that the 105/115 owner group would consider a new Alfa if the spec was similar, but you can only either get a fairly boring automatic Giulia or spend a poo poo ton of money on a QV.

Everyone always says this but as the world's foremost Italian car apologist, if they offered the Giulia Ti Sport with the LSD for like, $50K with a stick I would own one RIGHT NOW.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's annoying because if you look at the Alfa market for 105/115s the low-trim ones with sporting features are incredibly popular. Juniors with LSDs, etc sold decently at the time and sell very well now. I do think that the 105/115 owner group would consider a new Alfa if the spec was similar, but you can only either get a fairly boring automatic Giulia or spend a poo poo ton of money on a QV.

Everyone always says this but as the world's foremost Italian car apologist, if they offered the Giulia Ti Sport with the LSD for like, $50K with a stick I would own one RIGHT NOW.

In :italy: the alfa costs as much if not more than the equivalent BMW so it's a very hard sell as its value will plummet. The engine lineup is minimal(right now the diesel engines are 70-80% of the car dealerships stock and nobody wants them due to dieselgate, the 2.0l petrol variants might as well not exist as our fuel prices are absurdly high) and the first units had abysmal build quality kinda poisoning the well with bad rep. I played with both a Tipo(Dodge Dart made in Turkey) and a decently specced Giulia and some of the plastics had similiar quality. I hope they changed the interiors for the USDM variant :)

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 11, 2017

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don’t think you can even get a manual version? The 2.0L Ti with the LSD is about $40k though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I test drove one and sat in a few others, and in every trim below the quatroformaggio with pepperoni, I was really surprised by how poor the interior quality was.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

drgitlin posted:

I don’t think you can even get a manual version? The 2.0L Ti with the LSD is about $40k though.

There is a run of the mill 6 speed with the diesels and the petrol 2.0l. Never saw a QV in the wild with anything but the zf auto.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Here in Europe they've tuned quite a few of the cheapest 200 hp 2.0T Giulias. I thinkthey get like 315 hp with just a tune. The 200 hp engine is mechnically identical to the more expensive 280 hp version, so a tune on the 280 hp version should also give you the same 315 hp.

Ordering the cheapest Giulia 2.0T 200hp RWD with the LSD (28 500€ tax free) and getting a 400€ tune to push it to 315 hp is quite an attractive option.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 11, 2017

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I personally would wait to hear on the reliability. It is an Alfa after all.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

My problem with the 280hp engine in the Alfa wasn’t so much the power, which was decent, it was the fact that it was just very boring. It had a low redline, didn’t sound especially good, and the power delivery wasn’t interesting. It’s an Alfa, it should feel special, to make up for the fact that it could combust at any moment. The engine doesn’t live up to the chassis.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Which past Alfas have felt 'special'?

Some of the V6s (ie not the GM one) were great but the four cylinders never were. Also they sold a whole lot of (shudder) diesels.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

dissss posted:

Some of the V6s (ie not the GM one) were great but the four cylinders never were. Also they sold a whole lot of (shudder) diesels.

"Twin spark" inline fours were very good for the times, never been very fond of the "Busso", while it had a distinctive noise it wasn't very fuel efficient and kinda unreliable. Without dwelling in the past too much, 156 were very good and with good pricing and its derivatives(147 and gt) were decent. Alfa kinda lost it after they started using the GM-codeveloped chassis for the 159 and the brera, that chassis was super heavy and the car dynamics suffered for it.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Dec 12, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Looks a bit better in the metal but I'm still not wholly convinced tbh. Will be a while before I'll be able to drive one tho

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The lights looks like NASCAR sticker lights and that lower lip painted the same colour as the body would improve it a bunch (though I know they're trying to normalise the front end of that space car they designed recently).

It has a nice behind though.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

The front makes me think of a Miata.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I thought it was a miata without blowing up the thumbnail.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

dissss posted:

The Milano V6 I got to drive was cool (I think it was called the 75 elsewhere.)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
"mx-5 red" was probably a poor choice of colour but then again AML is notoriously bad at this sort of thing

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Lamborghini Huracan-Based DeTomaso Pantera Tribute

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Subaru is launching a new large SUV 3-row crossover. I guess it holds 8 golden retrievers.

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/11/29/2019-subaru-ascent-deep-dive-15-fast-facts/

It supposedly has a brand-new 2.4L turbo producing 260hp and 277lb-ft of torque. I'm curious about that and if it can be used for the next WRX/STI.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Charles posted:

Subaru is launching a new large SUV 3-row crossover. I guess it holds 8 golden retrievers.

It supposedly has a brand-new 2.4L turbo producing 260hp and 277lb-ft of torque. I'm curious about that and if it can be used for the next WRX/STI.

looks a million times better than the tribecabortion

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

drgitlin posted:

That's what I'm saying, the lack of a stick shift on a brand that entirely trades off of nostalgia was a massive mistake. If I'm buying an unreliable Italian piece of garbage I should be able to shift my own gears.

dissss posted:

the Alfa Twin Cam and the TwinSpark engines were good and sounded good

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Charles posted:

They're going to selll a million of those.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

Charles posted:

They hit this on the head for us, and the article sums it up well. Our Outback is the perfect size for two kids and a stroller with all the shopping we need, or add a skybox for a week’s worth of camping gear. We cross-shopped SUVs and bought the Outback because my wife grew up with one and I loved my old Forester. We probably don’t need a third row SUV, but it will be hard to say no if this one is even remotely decent.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

euphronius posted:

Only if they have a really good touchscreen infotainment and hvac controls and have the best in smart phone integration. They are the key to success these days. Just wrap that around in hard bars on the outside and 8 airbags in the inside and only then you sell millions.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

euphronius posted:

Yup. My wife has already expressed interest.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Charles posted:

I thought you were having a laugh and posted a highlander.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

This rules and anybody who complains about it not having a Ford motor is boring. It's gorgeous.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Because a Huracan with a body kit is super interesting.

Look, I just want a mid-engine sports car with the flat-plane V8 out of a GT350. Is that so much to ask?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Q_res posted:

Honestly, it's not bad. Not gonna fault anyone who wants to buy one of those on looks.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Q_res posted:

Look, I just want a mid-engine sports car with the flat-plane V8 out of a GT350. Is that so much to ask?

No too much to ask, just that the V10 sounds gobs better than the 350's FPC V8 so why would you want to? Seriously every time I hear one in person all I hear is a vibrating trombone. They can be better with aftermarket headers unlike the completely hosed OEM ones, but to my ears they never sound good. Not even okay.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

BloodBag posted:

I thought you were having a laugh and posted a highlander.

I thought it looks like just like a Pilot.

Not that it’s a bad thing, it looks fine. Just interesting that all manufacturers have zeroed in on the least offensive shape for bloated tall wagons. Except Lexus.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Which manufacturer will be the first to put a sliding side door on one of those things and close the circle?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Dear manufacturers please replace all "booth babes" with booth dogs please.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Which manufacturer will be the first to put a sliding side door on one of those things and close the circle?

This is going to happen, but it's going to be called something new and terrible like "Extreme Sport Utility Access Door" instead of just "sliding door".

Minivans and wagons are coming back, but this time with higher ride height and branded as SUVs/CUVs. Every manufacturer under the sun has generic small-medium-large unibody platforms with 4 doors and a hatchback. They're basically cars and vans already, not trucks like the early SUVs.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 13, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There has to be some mechanical reason why they haven't put sliding doors on yet.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

euphronius posted:

There has to be some mechanical reason why they haven't put sliding doors on yet.

I'm willing to bet it isn't a mechanical reason at all and has everything to do with 'ew icky minivan'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ford is moving all midsized sedan production to China in 2020.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...eedName=topNews