Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Safety Factor posted:

We had a bit of that here with the Death Thread. It got to the point where people would happily argue with copy and pasted nonsensical B&C posts just so they could prove someone wrong about GW.

That was a fun couple of days. Me and a few other posters were just finding the dumbest poo poo possible and throwing it onto the trash fire. :allears:

Fortunately they really can't handle the dissonance of being exposed to differing opinions/rationality, so they ghettoise themselves to hide from the terrifying 'apologists'.

Cooked Auto posted:

The low point for me it felt like was around the early days of 8th edition or end of 7th, or at least some point earlier this year, when there was just so much general anger about GW and 40k/AoS everywhere I used to check for that kind of stuff that I felt like just giving up on the hobby because any positivity was so far between or just drowned in a massive sea of acid and piss.

Same. GW had been poo poo for a very long time, and even though they had clearly started making moves to turn around a lot of people who seem happy with the state of things now still hadn't been won over. And the people who hate GW as some sort of pathological condition had become genuinely emotionally invested in seeing 40k get deleted like WFB. It wasn't great.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Between the sound and fury signifying nothing from most 40k fans, and from the surprisingly significant portion of Actual Nazis that have popped up in the 40k fanbase, I'm glad there's at least one reasonable place to discuss Wamhams.

I imagine there is a hell of a lot of overlap in personality requirements for people who have Nazi leanings and people who spend their time in a hobby where they obsess endlessly about how they are being treated unfairly compared to other 'races' and the grand controlling cabal that seeks to oppress them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I imagine there is a hell of a lot of overlap in personality requirements for people who have Nazi leanings and people who spend their time in a hobby where they obsess endlessly about how they are being treated unfairly compared to other 'races' and the grand controlling cabal that seeks to oppress them.

Not to mention how easy it apparently is to miss "The Imperium isn't a particularly pleasant place".

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

Corrode posted:

Everyone seems to forget Grey Knights exist, which is the probably the worst you can say about a book. You can point to stuff in the SM book and criticise it, or say that Chaos is a little bland even though it's good, but GK may as well not be there.
It's frustrating because they're my chosen army too; I feel like they put out the codex so early because it required basically no work, since they only added a couple new options that were either just variations on an existing theme or units that regular SM got.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Yes, this is where GW could use a little bit of PP's process and sometimes release a book that has 1 or 2 options for several armies. The triumvirates were like that, but we don't really need a bunch of new HQs...

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I get the feeling that's going to be the plan once everyone has a codex.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

GreenMarine posted:

Yes, this is where GW could use a little bit of PP's process and sometimes release a book that has 1 or 2 options for several armies. The triumvirates were like that, but we don't really need a bunch of new HQs...
They were kind of starting to do that with the campaign supplements towards the end of 7th. Unfortunately, they really didn't give a poo poo and the new additions were usually busted as gently caress because they new 8th edition was on its way.

I expect we'll see a return of these types of events once the basic books are squared away. Hopefully with better balance. :v:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I get the feeling that's going to be the plan once everyone has a codex.

Yeah that seems exactly like what the campaign books are going to be. Look forward to the Dakka whingeing when they "have" to carry 12 books thanks to campaign supplements, while simultaneously whingeing about any army not updated, and also about updated codexes which condense it all since they paid for a different product 2 years ago and they should never have to buy a new thing again.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

ALL IS DUSSSSSSST....

That is a squad of my old Thousand Sons from around 1996. I haven't touched the hobby since before 4th Ed came out, having given away my armies to settle a debt. A few weeks ago the bug bit me again after watching some of Duncan's painting tutorials on the WarhammerTV YouTube channel. So I started up a new collection, beginning with the Thousand Sons box set.

poo poo IS STILL DUST, SON

Dipped into my old bitz crate to decorate some of the bases, old Chimera tank tred and old plastic skelly skull

More decorated bases, from the old Hunter-Killer missile, and an old Imperial Space Marines plastic beaky helmet.

Oh yes, scale creep is a thing.

Two Beans fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 10, 2017

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Karl Rove posted:

It's frustrating because they're my chosen army too; I feel like they put out the codex so early because it required basically no work, since they only added a couple new options that were either just variations on an existing theme or units that regular SM got.

Yeah same, trying to start an army with mostly terminators, but according to the B&C GK subforum, they are apparently the worst unit in the entire game :(
That could of course also just be the terrible bitter nerds from before whining about everything?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

This image was in the rumor engine thing last month and I reallllly hope it's an open-top admec transport:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

HardCoil posted:

Yeah same, trying to start an army with mostly terminators, but according to the B&C GK subforum, they are apparently the worst unit in the entire game :(
That could of course also just be the terrible bitter nerds from before whining about everything?

They're not even close. Hell, they're not even the worst unit in the GK book.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

HardCoil posted:

Terminators aren't top-tier (GK aren't as a whole) but if you're just looking to play casual games they're good + fun. B&C, Dakka and the rest are the worst way to understand this game because they don't have the first loving clue about anything - see the number of them which pop up on any tournament-oriented thread who start their post with "I avoid tournaments like the plague, but [strong & wrong opinion on balance/usefulness of units/whatever]." They'll happily condemn units as completely useless or unplayable in any context, with very little understanding of what they're talking about.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

HardCoil posted:

Yeah there's no way they're the worst or even in the running. In my limited experience they're still useful, just horrendously over-costed (though I think that's true of vanilla terminators in general). Being another source of Deny (with the +1 from being GK battle forged too), and having access to Gate of Infinity has proved quite useful to me so far.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Wasn't there a lot of disbelief not long ago because some guy won a GW tournament with an army that was basically written off online?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Booyah- posted:

This image was in the rumor engine thing last month and I reallllly hope it's an open-top admec transport:

Sadly, I think that that is probably going to be more terrain. There was another recent batch of the stuff, maybe it was in there somewhere.

I just don't see Admech getting a one-off release any time soon. They have their book already and GW's got other things to pump out. When/if Fires of Cyraxus ever comes out from Forge World, you can expect a lot of love for Admech. Transports, even, but they'll be resin and expensive as hell.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Wasn't there a lot of disbelief not long ago because some guy won a GW tournament with an army that was basically written off online?

Yeah, it was the dude from Tabletop Tactics winning Heat 1 of the GT with an Ultramarines list which was full of Tactical Marines. Dakka lost their minds trying to prove that the list was poo poo, and everyone he played was poo poo, and he'd have been much better off adopting all their pet obsessions instead, and so on and so forth. Tons of no-name nobodies claiming they'd beat him any day and they had a way better list, honest, they just haven't gone and smashed a GT because. Quite a lot of "he'd have lost if he played a real list like x!" and then flat-out ignoring that he played against exactly those armies and won. Lots of "he only won because he had Guilliman!" which is like, well yeah, he took good things and used them effectively, that's how the game works.

It was like the Platonic ideal of guys who think lists are the only thing that matters getting absolutely chumped by that not being the case.

People here expressed surprise too (I think Uroboros talked about playing something similar and having a hard time) but as is usual there was a lot more specific discussion of what weaknesses there were and why, rather than fury that someone had defied the bizarre Dakka narrative about what is and isn't brokenly overpowered/completely useless (there is no middle ground between the two).

Living Image fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 10, 2017

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Corrode posted:

Terminators aren't top-tier (GK aren't as a whole) but if you're just looking to play casual games they're good + fun. B&C, Dakka and the rest are the worst way to understand this game because they don't have the first loving clue about anything - see the number of them which pop up on any tournament-oriented thread who start their post with "I avoid tournaments like the plague, but [strong & wrong opinion on balance/usefulness of units/whatever]." They'll happily condemn units as completely useless or unplayable in any context, with very little understanding of what they're talking about.

Thanks, I thought as much. This will just be for fun, non-competetive games.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Booyah- posted:

Wasn't there some dark Mechanicus rumoured too?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Dark Mech probably wouldn't still have the holy cog symbol of the Machine God. Terrain is a safe bet.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
It's boobplate :ssh:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

HardCoil posted:

Thanks, I thought as much. This will just be for fun, non-competetive games.

My knowledge isn't as deep as it could be but unless your list is extremely dumb I don't think there's anything completely unusable in 8th ed. It's not like the old 5th ed Chaos Spawn which were entirely pointless, or the original Pyrovore where it was more beneficial to have a 60pt empty space than to take one. For casual games of 8th, as long as you consider basic things (have I brought enough AT not to be neutered by a single Rhino, could I kill a mob of Boyz if I had to, etc.) you'll be fine.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Safety Factor posted:

We had a bit of that here with the Death Thread. It got to the point where people would happily argue with copy and pasted nonsensical B&C posts just so they could prove someone wrong about GW.

That was a fun couple of days. Me and a few other posters were just finding the dumbest poo poo possible and throwing it onto the trash fire. :allears:

as the guy who started the original death thread, gw back then really were circling the drain. it was not a good time. 8th edition's been fantastic so far, which i attribute entirely to all the old management getting kicked upstairs

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

Dark Mech probably wouldn't still have the holy cog symbol of the Machine God. Terrain is a safe bet.

But the Machine God isn't strictly an Imperium thing. Isn't it actually considered at least slightly heretical?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

TKIY posted:

But the Machine God isn't strictly an Imperium thing. Isn't it actually considered at least slightly heretical?

The Admech's official version of the Machine God is an aspect of the Emperor of Mankind. Some tech priests worship it as a separate entity in secret. I'd imagine some Dark Mechanicus guys worship a version of the machine god but I'd expect them to have a badass daemon skull and a bunch of spikes incorporated into the normal Mechanicus symbol.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Forums Terrorist posted:

as the guy who started the original death thread, gw back then really were circling the drain. it was not a good time. 8th edition's been fantastic so far, which i attribute entirely to all the old management getting kicked upstairs
The original Death Thread was fine. Most of us posted in it and there were some interesting insights here and there from people like Helen Highwater. The second iteration went downhill and culminated in a bunch of shitposting before being put out of its misery. I think there's a third, forgotten Death Thread somewhere. It's best just left alone.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Corrode posted:

Yeah, it was the dude from Tabletop Tactics winning Heat 1 of the GT with an Ultramarines list which was full of Tactical Marines.
I found all the petty outrage over this army particularly hilarious as someone who plays historicals, because it's basically just what would be a mechanized infantry list led by a Cool Dude leader in any other game. It's not cheese or some kind of GI Joe silliness that 40k has sometimes, and they seem offended that "army of good troops with transports who shoot good" is a winning strategy.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Karl Rove posted:

I found all the petty outrage over this army particularly hilarious as someone who plays historicals, because it's basically just what would be a mechanized infantry list led by a Cool Dude leader in any other game. It's not cheese or some kind of GI Joe silliness that 40k has sometimes, and they seem offended that "army of good troops with transports who shoot good" is a winning strategy.

It was kind of the opposite - they thought the list was too poo poo, and shouldn't have won because only super-broken Imperial Guard lists were supposed to ever win anything so that the Dakka narrative that AM were insanely overpowered could be supported.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Tau players: should I give the Stealth Suit team leader a Fusion Blaster?

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Corrode posted:

It was kind of the opposite - they thought the list was too poo poo, and shouldn't have won because only super-broken Imperial Guard lists were supposed to ever win anything so that the Dakka narrative that AM were insanely overpowered could be supported.

Since the Machine God was just mentioned, I was thinking you meant the AM, not the AM, so I was confused for a bit about if you meant the AM or the AM, or- :commissar:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

goose willis posted:

Do craftworld and dark versions of the Eldar associate or trade or communicate in any meaningful way or do they just avoid and/or kill each other on sight

Like can a dark Eldar decide to one day join a craftworld or are they just gonna die out of the webway

to the first point, dark and other kinds of eldar don't kill each other on sight, fights and wars between them are regarded as pointless wastes of limited eldar lives. which is not to say that they don't happen, there is only war etc., but they're something to be regretted and avoided by the lights of all eldar factions, even the drukhari

to the second point, yes, an eldar can choose to shift from any of the major surviving eldar cultural blocs (craftworld, comorrah, harlequin, corsair, exodite) at any time. it's not super frequent but it does happen. yvraine, the ynarri prophet, was a Howling Banshee aspect warrior from (iirc) Biel-Tan who went into the Dark City to join a wych cult, then died in the fighting pits where the death god revived her to bring his world to the space elves etc. the craftworld rangers are on the path of the outcast, in which eldar who can't quite gel with the extremely strict and uptight life on the craftworlds go out into the galaxy to find adventure and burn off their restlessness. many rangers gravitate into corsair fleets, basically craftworld-associated eldar who live apart from the craftworlds full-time in pirate fleets that sail both the webway and realspace, but still wear soul gems and haven't gotten into the soul-drinking practices of the drukhari. it's already very hard for non-eldar to tell the difference between corsairs and dark eldar in practice, and there's enough cooperation and similarity between the two groups that switches from one to the other are definitely not unheard of.

e:

TKIY posted:

back before the heresy Emps descended on Olympus Mons to confront the tech priests and proclaim himself the fulfillment of their omnissiah prophecy, that one day a man who was the perfect synthesis and master of flesh and mechanism would come to lead the machine cult back to the stars to reunite with its lost offspring forge worlds scattered across the galaxy. under the terms of the Treaty of Mars the machine cult was accepted into the imperium despite the atheistic Imperial Truth mostly by looking the other way regarding the martians' deification of machines generally and the emperor in particular.

one of the main motivations of the schism that created the dark mechanicus during the heresy was that a growing number of tech priests rejected the dogma that underpinned the treaty of mars. emps outlawed certain ancient technologies and hoarded others, and what became the dark mechanics saw neither policy as choices appropriate to the actual master of machines. in m41, after millenia working with and for the traitor legions in both conventional space and interstitial realms like the maelstrom and eye of terror, many dark mechanicus have become outright worshipers of the chaos gods and these are responsible for many of the daemon engines the traitor legions field, but not all dark mechanicus hubs are in warp rifts, and plenty of sects may still long for the day when they can purge the mechanicus at large of its devotion to what they regard as a false omnissiah.

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 11, 2017

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'm also a fan of the forge of souls in the warp potentially being the hub of a dark omnissiah, a nascent chaos entity or god that has taken that form.

Hamshot fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 11, 2017

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i do seem to recall that some of the dark mechanicus magi have attained daemonhood by grafting so many daemon-infused augmetics to their forms that they cease to be wholly material entities

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
Would anyone care if I used regular 40k drop pods for a Horus Heresy army?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Agentdark posted:

Only big loving nerds you shouldn't be friends with

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Agentdark posted:

They exist in 30k, so I don't see why not. My SoH Orbital Assault army has 5 in it at the moment.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

dexefiend posted:

Tau players: should I give the Stealth Suit team leader a Fusion Blaster?

Nah, not really worth it. The stealth suits don't have good enough BS to use it well, and a stealth suit with a burst cannon plus advanced targeting system is great at mulching infantry. For harder targets, a commander (or shadowsun) or a ghostkeel is a much more effective fusion carrier.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Flavivirus posted:

Nah, not really worth it. The stealth suits don't have good enough BS to use it well, and a stealth suit with a burst cannon plus advanced targeting system is great at mulching infantry. For harder targets, a commander (or shadowsun) or a ghostkeel is a much more effective fusion carrier.

Thanks for this. This helps me understand why!

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Corrode posted:

People here expressed surprise too (I think Uroboros talked about playing something similar and having a hard time) but as is usual there was a lot more specific discussion of what weaknesses there were and why, rather than fury that someone had defied the bizarre Dakka narrative about what is and isn't brokenly overpowered/completely useless (there is no middle ground between the two).

I still really don't know how he won, considering what's out there. It isn't a bad list, there are just some really common counters to it running around. The kind of things that would be effective at countering it regardless of what type of units you used for your gun line.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I remember when someone won a GT final against Tau with a genestealer list in the very midst of Tyranids suck and people were scratching their heads over that.

Some people are excellent players.

Also 8th is a fair bit more balanced than 7th, that may have an impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Thundercloud posted:

I remember when someone won a GT final against Tau with a genestealer list in the very midst of Tyranids suck and people were scratching their heads over that.

Some people are excellent players.

Was it the #Lictorshame list? I remember seeing that and being impressed with how clever it was.