Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

DJExile posted:

FBScoops saying Sonny Dykes is the likely new coach at SMU.

Someone help me out here. Not that i would expect homerun hires like Chad Morris every carousel for fuckin smu but this seems really unexciting i don't know much about Sonny Dykes though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He wasn’t great at Cal but that was a bad cultural fit. He did well at LA Tech and is a much better fit for a Texas school. He’s a good offensive coach and it’s not like Morris was knocking it out of the park. I think Dykes would be fine at SMU on the field. He seems like a pain in the rear end to deal with though, so that’s a potential issue. He’s also very likely to be a candidate for Texas Tech as early as next year if he does well so it might not be a long stay.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 11, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

the_american_dream posted:

Someone help me out here. Not that i would expect homerun hires like Chad Morris every carousel for fuckin smu but this seems really unexciting i don't know much about Sonny Dykes though

Worked under Hal Mumme at Kentucky and Mike Leach at TT, WR coach, then OC at Texas Tech in their air raid days. Got his first HC gig at Louisiana Tech and went 22-15. Eventually wound up at Cal in what SHOULD have been a good fit but the school was being hit hard with budget issues and Dykes clearly haaaaaaaaaaated being there.

As far as SMU goes it's a solid hire. He's a Texas native and drat near any Texas school is going to be a far better fit for him than somewhere out west.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

For SMU I think Dykes is a quality hire. He is a tenured enough coach to know what he's doing, be able to hire some decent assistants, and he's from a similar background as Morris (not the same I'm aware) but the players should be able to pick up what he wants to do quickly. I thought he was p okay at Cal just couldn't get the D figured out which may be less of an issue in CUSA maybe or maybe worse I dunno. Either way SMU did okay imo.

Plus he's been in Dallas/Ft Worth for the past year with Gary at TCU so he should have a firm grasp on the recruiting landscape.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

OBR posted:

I don't have any doubt that Kevin is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator.

But I don't believe he belongs at what should be one of the three most powerful university programs in the world right now at Notre Dame. I don't think it adds up.

You are right, no self-respecting boilermaker would sully themselves by having anything to do with that trash heap.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

wernox posted:

self-respecting boilermaker

seems like an oxymoron tbh

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/zach_barnett/status/940282038153773057

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Looks like an exciting hire on paper based on what Memphis has done offensively since he's been there, but since he's been an assistant under two offense-minded head coaches I guess it's hard to say what he's going to be worth on his own.

Seconding that Dykes seems like a solid hire for SMU.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/Tennessee-Vols-football-Full-details-of-Tennessees-MOU-with-Greg-Schiano-revealed-112131920

quote:

Suspended athletic director John Currie was the only Tennessee official to sign the memorandum of understanding with Ohio State defensive coordinator Greg Schiano.

The full MOU was released to GoVols247 on Monday in response to an open records request.

The length of Tennessee's proposed deal with Schiano was for six seasons through Jan. 31, 2024, and the former coach at Rutgers and of the NFL's Tampa Bay Bucs would have earned a starting base salary of $4.4 million.

Built-in annual raises of $50,000 would have brought the average annual salary to $4.5 million and increased the total worth of the deal to $27 million.

:eyepop: jesus loving christ look at that contract, Tennessee dodged a goddamn bullet

Also can I get a built-in annual raise of $50,000

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/Tennessee-Vols-football-Full-details-of-Tennessees-MOU-with-Greg-Schiano-revealed-112131920

:eyepop: jesus loving christ look at that contract, Tennessee dodged a goddamn bullet

Also can I get a built-in annual raise of $50,000

$50k is still only 1% of the base salary.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Hahahahah we paid Pruitt less than Currie was going to pay Schiano

$700k a year less:

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/details-jeremy-pruitt-contract-tennessee-released

quote:

The details of Jeremy Pruitt’s contract to become the next football coach at Tennessee have been released.

Pruitt signed a six-year deal worth $3.8 million a year with a lot of incentives built in.

The new Volunteers coach will receive $300,000 if Tennessee were to win the SEC Championship, $100,000 for appearing in the SEC Championship Game, and a cool $500,000 for winning the College Football Playoff.

If Pruitt were to leave for another position before Dec. 15, 2018, he would owe Tennessee $6 million in a buyout. The buyout drops by $1 million each year following.

Here are other incentives slated in the contract:

$400,000 – Reaching the College Football Playoff championship game

$300,000 – Reaching College Football Playoff

$200,000 – New Year’s Six Bowl appearance

$150,000 – Top-5 finish in AP poll, coaches poll, CFP poll

$100,000 – Basic bowl bonus

$100,000 – Top-10 finish in AP poll, coaches poll, CFP poll

$100,000 – AP national coach of the year

$100,000 – Single-year or four-year APR of 985 or greater

$50,000 – Top-25 finish in AP poll, coaches poll, CFP poll

$50,000 – AP SEC coach of the year

$50,000 – Single-year or four-year APR of 945 or greater

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Hahahahah we paid Pruitt less than Currie was going to pay Schiano

What did Currie do to get hired at Tennessee anyway? I was under the impression K State hated him when he was there.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

What did Currie do to get hired at Tennessee anyway? I was under the impression K State hated him when he was there.

The Haslems liked him

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Grittybeard posted:

Mike Hamilton (former AD that fired Fulmer) disciple. I guess Fulmer got the last laugh.

Edit: I just read Fulmer passed his recruiting test, and will be hitting the road to recruit. What in the hell? Has an AD ever done this before?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

nate fisher posted:

Mike Hamilton (former AD that fired Fulmer) disciple. I guess Fulmer got the last laugh.

Edit: I just read Fulmer passed his recruiting test, and will be hitting the road to recruit. What in the hell? Has an AD ever done this before?

Fat Phil is wheelin and dealin again, baby. I remember when he came to my high school to recruit a guy wearing a Finger Cadillac.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Oh, cool, Jimbo hired an OC. I bet that goes well.

Also glad to see Charles Kelly get work, I bet his new employer will be happy as hell with their 3rd down stop %.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Dango Bango posted:

$50k is still only 1% of the base salary.
No, I'm just talking about myself here, that would be a sick raise.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Mizzou sources are saying Hugh Freeze is basically being PNG'd by the league office, so the school is crossing him off the list of OC candidates. He will probably be an OC next year but it won't be in this league.
The most logical choice is Harrell, which means we'll probably hire someone I haven't heard of.

Also our OL coach Glen Elarbee followed ex-OC Josh Heupel to UCF--for the same job. Not even an assistant title add-on. That seems weird but if something went down then no one is talking.

Big Piece O Shit
Jan 30, 2006

Didn't see this posted:

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/939950063257661440

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

MourningView posted:

3 wins in 3 years should be unacceptable anywhere even historically terrible programs like Kansas or Rutgers

God it's going to be amazing when Ferentz retires and you're Iowa State.

nate fisher posted:

Tim Pernetti at Rutgers, and I'd be surprised if Alvarez hasn't done this.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Getting the band back together.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kim Jong Il posted:

egads, what a horrible fate, being another team that's better than Rutgers

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Kim Jong Il posted:

I can't imagine how a .535 program goes about replacing a .594 coach.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Alaois posted:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Alaois posted:

Lol

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i'm terrified that iowa would lose ferentz and hire a person who can figure out how to beat northwestern, but i assume that a series of increasingly inbred Ferentz will continue to operate out of Iowa like the Habsburgs

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Losing Phil Parker is probably gonna be worse than losing Kirk tbh

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Alaois posted:

dang

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
He's dead, Jim.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

R.D. Mangles posted:

i'm terrified that iowa would lose ferentz and hire a person who can figure out how to beat northwestern, but i assume that a series of increasingly inbred Ferentz will continue to operate out of Iowa like the Habsburgs

:lol:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
LOL at all of this, but especially that someone made this. http://saveksfb.com/#top

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Probably Magic posted:

LOL at all of this, but especially that someone made this. http://saveksfb.com/#top

I SET OUT TO FIND THE BEST, AND I FOUND CHARLIE WEIS.

SHEAHON ZENGER – DECEMBER 11, 2011

e:

KANSAS FOOTBALL RECENTLY COMPLETED ITS SIXTH SEASON UNDER FOOTBALL COACHES HIRED BY SHEAHON ZENGER WITH THE WORST SIX-YEAR RECORD IN PROGRAM HISTORY (10-62)

WHICH ALSO IS THE WORST RECORD AMONG 128 FBS PROGRAMS THAT HAVE COMPETED IN EACH OF THOSE SIX SEASONS.

This whole thing is a joy to read as someone who dislikes KU.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 12, 2017

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Yeah, well, Kim Anderson.

I like how Weis was hired entirely based off his years with the Chiefs and the AD conveniently ignored those Florida years.

Guys, I'm not sure Kansas is better than Rutgers. I'm fairly certain they aren't.

Probably Magic fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 12, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I don't understand how it's possible to hate Kansas unless you're a K-State fan, or a basketball fan.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pakled posted:

I don't understand how it's possible to hate Kansas unless you're a K-State fan, or a basketball fan.

I'm a Missouri fan. It's bred into us on both sides and anyone who claims they don't care is lying.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alaois posted:

isn't that all but like 20 FBS teams or so?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Randaconda posted:

isn't that all but like 20 FBS teams or so?

:thejoke:

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Gendo's two favorite things, Aggies and Tim Brewster

https://twitter.com/TimBrewster/status/940550243371945984

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

:ck5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It’s been a good few years for Brewster. He found his level as an excellent assistant coach and Minnesota paid tribute to him by hiring a younger version.

• Locked thread