Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Soulfucker posted:

Was it the #Lictorshame list? I remember seeing that and being impressed with how clever it was.

What was the gimmick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
IIRC, Lictors as beacons for Mawlocs and for Linebreaker/forcing wasted shots on a 1 model unit. It was a board control list.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.
Is the jury still out on whether or not units inside a transport count towards "half your units" being deployed Re: Reserves? :can:

I'm still trying to make Valkyries work in the Militarum Tempestus I'm planning out. It's below if anyone cares:

Militarum Tempestus Airborne posted:

Battalion 1:
Tempestus Prime x3
Scions (5): Melta x2, Hotshot x2, Pistol x1
Command Squad: Plasma x4

Battalion 2:
Tempestus Prime x3

Battalion 3:
Tempestus Prime x2
Scions (5): Volley x2, Hotshot x2, Pistol x1
Scions (5): Volley x2, Hotshot x2, Pistol x1
Scions (5): Hot-Shot x4, Pistol x1
Scions (5): Hot-Shot x4, Pistol x1
Valkyrie
Valkyrie
Valkyrie

12 CP; 1,997 pts; PL 95

If embarked units count towards the "deployed" ratio, then I can deploy the Valks with a Prime and 2 Melta squads in each, and two of the basic Scion squads in the backfield and hold everything else in reserve, right?

There's no Vox in the list and I have no idea if that's a mistake or not. I figured there's enough Primes to go around.

Anyway, this is how I've been passing my graveyard shifts; apologies for the wall of text.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Embarked units count. They're set up, they just get set up as one drop.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
It's one of those non-obvious fringe benefits that help to explain why a lot of transports are so expensive now.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.

Corrode posted:

Embarked units count. They're set up, they just get set up as one drop.

Thanks dude.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Safety Factor posted:

I just sat through a Dark Angels codex review instead of working like I meant to today. Overall, I think the book looks pretty solid, but it still has a few issues.
* The Ravenwing seem to have permanently lost their teleport homers. With the current deep strike mechanics, they would have had to have been repurposed, but it's been done in other marine armies.
* The Deathwing are somehow worse at teleporting than normal marines since they don't even get that one redeploy ability. They didn't have it in the index so I wasn't expecting it, but it's weird. It's just that that has always been their gimmick, especially alongside the Ravenwing.
* No Deathwing lieutenants seems like a missed opportunity. It is entirely possible to build one out of the plastic kit. There's even a fancy cape in there and wing-poles and poo poo.
* Black Knights got their stasis rounds back as a weird anti-character stratagem. Rad grenades are still missing. It's still probably not worth switching out a plasma talon for the grenade launcher given how niche the stratagem is.
* The Land Speeder Vengeance is still trash. Might be able to pull off a dumb four damage gimmick with the +1 plasma damage stratagem and its overcharge, but you're still stuck with d6 shots and if you roll any 1s it can't shoot for the rest of the game. Or 2s if you dare move.
* The relics look pretty solid except Foe-Smiter, as usual. No one wants this thing, just give it to Belial already so he can try to use the dumb shooting warlord trait he always gets saddled with. Lion's Roar is also pretty boring.
* The Sacred Standards aren't in. I think there's a little extra rule for the Chapter Ancient that's meant to replace them, but I don't know the generic version and it's nowhere near as cool.

These gripes are pretty minor* so I can live with it. Deathwing have a 2/3 point stratagem that lets a teleporting unit fire as soon as they are deployed. If this works the way I think it does, it might open up some interesting tactics. One squad teleports in, strips away a screening unit, and then another unit teleports in closer to the real target for a better chance at charging. Ravenwing get a pretty good stratagem that lets a unit advance and still shoot and charge. That'll be pretty dang nasty with Black Knights even if they can already shoot while advancing. Dark Angels are going to really rely on the Deathwing and Ravenwing to differentiate themselves from normal marines and be effective, but that's nothing new. It squeezes primaris even more out of the army though as they only really benefit from the chapter tactic. True to fluff and fine by me. :v: Hellblasters will definitely be a thing thanks to that plasma damage stratagem, but that's about it. I would not recommend people pursue an all primaris Dark Angels army/successor. There just isn't much point.

*except for the standards. Give those back, please. :argh:

Your use of * as marker of both bullet point and footnote confuses and enrages me. :(

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Quick recap of my game against Space Wolves yesterday. Went okay, but man outflanking sure does take a toll. I lost by a good margin in the last turn as all my remaining tanks were blown up.

My Land Raider spent 5 turns wrapped in combat due to outflanking Wulfen. Came in from the side, charged me and wrapped the front, back and right side of the Land Raider. Luckily the left door was open and I was able to get my CC terminators out.

I took a killteam with 4 Frag Cannons, and holy poo poo those things are an amazing anti-charge force. 2d6 auto-hitting S6 shots, per frag cannon. Deleted a 5 man intercessor squad as it charged me.

That's pretty much the highlight. It was a bit of a slow game, since the majority of the action was around the wulfen and the Land Raider.

I think next time, i'm probably going to take a full 10 man terminator squad and just mix the shooting and close combat together, since Deathwatch can do that. I'll deep strike them in with my Captain & Librarian in Terminator Armor.

Here's a couple pics:

Flyers squaring off.

The Land Raider

Terminators taking shots at the Storm Wolf.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Local store had a can food drive for their December Tournament. You could spend cans to gain advantages in the game. Most were re-roll something, but a few made it more interesting like the ability to turn the damage profile on a Strength 6 weapon to D6.

I won't go into the details to much and just provide pics.

1250 points Went 2-1-1. Totally uncompetitive environment, which is nice. Someone brought a hellhammer, which dominated. Highlight of the day was my final game against Black Templars where we tied with my opponent sitting with his warlord on the relic at 2 wounds, and me taking Maelstrom objectives. Captain Sicarius managed to kill the Emperor's Champion in single combat thanks to me donating the remainder of my cans to swing the combat my way.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Zuul, that is the best looking Repulsor I have seen. Bar none.

Edit: Uroboros, Carbine Reivers! How'd they do for you?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

Yeah, the dude is an amazing modeler and painter. Give him a follow on Instagram, you won't be disappointed - @lonewolf40k

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Uroboros posted:

Local store had a can food drive for their December Tournament. You could spend cans to gain advantages in the game. Most were re-roll something, but a few made it more interesting like the ability to turn the damage profile on a Strength 6 weapon to D6.

Captain Sicarius managed to kill the Emperor's Champion in single combat thanks to me donating the remainder of my cans to swing the combat my way.

I've always wanted to go to one of these events with like a hundred bucks worth of canned food and use the donations to just cheat like hell at 40k. It rules because you get to be a total rear end in a top hat in the game, but no one can even get mad because you're also feeding the homeless.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Uroboros posted:

I won't go into the details to much and just provide pics.

1250 points Went 2-1-1. Totally uncompetitive environment, which is nice. Someone brought a hellhammer, which dominated. Highlight of the day was my final game against Black Templars where we tied with my opponent sitting with his warlord on the relic at 2 wounds, and me taking Maelstrom objectives. Captain Sicarius managed to kill the Emperor's Champion in single combat thanks to me donating the remainder of my cans to swing the combat my way.

Sweet looking Ultras dude. That's a really nice army.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Pendent posted:

Reivers play like you wish most models in the game did. 5 man carbine squad with Grav-chutes costs 100 points. Zero access to power weapons or special weapons, their true purpose is to harass. They are basically incapable of killing anything stronger than regular marines, but they can bully guardsmen and kabalite warriors or chase a Razorback around the table. I like them, not to strong, not to weak, appropriately costed.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I just looked at the pictures again and saw the plastic Callidus. That has to be one of the worst models they've made in quite some time.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It would look a lot better without the hair. And fun fact, the cables running from her arms are so thin I don't know how you get them off the sprue without breaking.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

It's the zenith (nadir?) of that trend they had for a bit of putting models in Awesome Poses that are way too far over the top to actually look good. The old metal was a really nice model, a bit simplistic maybe but understated. The plastic Culexus and Vindicares are still good, but the Callidus and to a lesser extent the Eversor are pretty awful.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.
The eversor appears to at least be doing something aside from 'dropping down from somewhere'.

Also the hair half the size of the body doesn't help.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Corrode posted:

It's the zenith (nadir?) of that trend they had for a bit of putting models in Awesome Poses that are way too far over the top to actually look good. The old metal was a really nice model, a bit simplistic maybe but understated. The plastic Culexus and Vindicares are still good, but the Callidus and to a lesser extent the Eversor are pretty awful.

I don't see anything wrong with the plastic Eversors, though?

:shrug:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Uroboros posted:

Reivers play like you wish most models in the game did. 5 man carbine squad with Grav-chutes costs 100 points. Zero access to power weapons or special weapons, their true purpose is to harass. They are basically incapable of killing anything stronger than regular marines, but they can bully guardsmen and kabalite warriors or chase a Razorback around the table. I like them, not to strong, not to weak, appropriately costed.

Whats your take on knife reivers? I'm gonna be putting some of my reivers together soon for harassing/charging tanks purposes but if there's anything my army hands down doesn't need more of its s4 shots.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Artum posted:

Whats your take on knife reivers? I'm gonna be putting some of my reivers together soon for harassing/charging tanks purposes but if there's anything my army hands down doesn't need more of its s4 shots.

I bought a box and a box of quick fits. This gave me 13.

I assembled 5 as Carbines with Grav-chutes and 8 with knives. I am planning to do 8 Reivers, a Primaris Chaplain, and a Primaris Captain in a Repulsor.

If I end up hating that, i can buy another quick fit box to go from 8 to 10.

Edit: no idea on how they work though, as I simply paint and wish I could get a game in.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Schadenboner posted:

My local shop has a 1500pt tournament in Feb with a "no special characters" rule and I'm so tempted to run a scaled down version of Naramyth's list.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Artum posted:

Ultimately? I don't think it changes a lot. You are switching out 5 Strength 4 gunshots with 5 strength 4 knife attacks? The gun grants more flexibility, and is an assault weapon so can you can drop your 10 attacks on guys pretty far out, and are putting out more shooting beyond 12 inches than an equivalently sized tactical squad.

They are pretty easy to magnetize if you want to keep your options open. They do look way cooler with knives I'll admit.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Schadenboner posted:

:glomp:

Corrode posted:

My local shop has a 1500pt tournament in Feb with a "no special characters" rule and I'm so tempted to run a scaled down version of Naramyth's list.

:glomp:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Because I like finding hidden gems: You guys, Raveners are actually good now! Specifically raveners with rending claws and spinefists.

26ppm for 8 attacks, 4 of which are AP-1 and rend to AP-4 on sixes to wound.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

It would blow the loving minds of like 99% of the dudes there, it'd be worth it just for that.

Apparently the last tournament they ran, that Ork player I had the horrendous game with came 3rd. The owner wasn't sure if any of his games went past turn 3. Surprise surprise.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Because I like finding hidden gems: You guys, Raveners are actually good now! Specifically raveners with rending claws and spinefists.

This bodes well for the game I'm running on Wednesday, where I'll try out a list titled simply 'Tremors'. Guess what's in it :getin:

Let's get some Ravener love started:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Interesting. I was planning on running Raveners with Scything Talons but 2ppm for RC seems like a much better idea.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Do 40k tournaments use timed turns or chess clocks? It doesn't seem very common, and its one of the few things I miss coming from Warmachine.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

Do 40k tournaments use timed turns or chess clocks? It doesn't seem very common, and its one of the few things I miss coming from Warmachine.

I've never seen it done.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

It has been suggested, but you'd need different times for different rounds. Rounds 1 and 2 often take longer than 3-6 combined.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Apocalypse games run by the PAGE guys that Sex Cannon and I went to, both this January in Philly and the 40k Narrative Apocalypse event at NOVA, have had timed turns. That was more just to make sure the game didn't take forever though.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

Your use of * as marker of both bullet point and footnote confuses and enrages me. :(
The options are limited here and it's easy to figure out in context.
:colbert:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Warmachine has turns where only a single player makes any decisions or actions. 40k involves actions and decisions on both sides. You'd have to swap the clock for every single save made, model removed, model chosen for wound allocation, deciding on strategem use, etc. It's not doable.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

That's not quite true. Half of those attacks are pistol shots. So they happen in the next shooting phase, hit on 4+ instead of 3+, and are only S3.

Don't get me wrong, spine fists are worth it for only 1ppm, but they're not nearly as good as getting 4 attacks.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Safety Factor posted:

The options are limited here and it's easy to figure out in context.
:colbert:

• no they aren't
  • :colbert:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

• no they aren't
  • :colbert:
I did not know that was an option in bbcode. Thank you.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Uroboros posted:

It has been suggested, but you'd need different times for different rounds. Rounds 1 and 2 often take longer than 3-6 combined.

I like the idea of chess clocks then, to account for the variability.

Give each player 90 minutes for a 2K game?

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Warmachine has turns where only a single player makes any decisions or actions. 40k involves actions and decisions on both sides. You'd have to swap the clock for every single save made, model removed, model chosen for wound allocation, deciding on strategem use, etc. It's not doable.

This is a good point. Womp.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Uroboros posted:

Ultimately? I don't think it changes a lot. You are switching out 5 Strength 4 gunshots with 5 strength 4 knife attacks? The gun grants more flexibility, and is an assault weapon so can you can drop your 10 attacks on guys pretty far out, and are putting out more shooting beyond 12 inches than an equivalently sized tactical squad.

They are pretty easy to magnetize if you want to keep your options open. They do look way cooler with knives I'll admit.

I've been running carbine Reivers with my Blood Angels. Pretty sure I'm going to switch to combat knives though to try to maximize that sweet +1 to wound in assault, although I really like the flexibility the carbines bring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Last Moose God post, now that it's done. To recap, this beer can I got in Maine was the inspiration for a Magnus conversion to run with my jungle-themed daemons.

It's buff, winged, bestial, and wielding a ball of energy... what's not to love? So here's my version based on a heavily modified Lord of Change, moose toy from Target, Lizardmen bits, and plenty of greenstuff.

Wings are based on my favorite bird, the American Kestrel. Here's some details.

Hard to see here, but the pond is actually several layers of water effects with lilypads on top. The dragonfly beast is from a Wood Elf kit.

Melded one of the little Tzeentch daemons into his greenstuffed energy ball.

The Lord of Change staff:

Finishing up some Squats and Catachan before returning to more jungle daemons. Hope seeing the (slow) progress on this dude was interesting to some people!