Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Harrow posted:

Okay, cool. Then what was slowing me down was definitely overvaluing the triple buff. If it's more like "red is mandatory, triple is great if you can fit it in" I'll probably be able to do better. I was definitely spending too much time fishing for the triple buff yesterday.

You want to get a balance of triple buffs and keeping up your attack. When you get triple buff, not only do your attacks deal more damage, but your combos also hit more times. It’s quite a huge buff to your damage, so you should try to keep it up at all times. Of course, you need to make sure that you’re not just ignoring your regular attacks while trying to get the buff up, otherwise you’re wasting more damage than you’ll earn. A good way to do things is to use regular attacks while there’s an opening, then when you don’t have time to actually attack (such as when the monster is attacking) send out your bug to get as many buffs as possible.

As for the R2 smack, your bug won’t return automatically - it adds a mark on the monster, as though you did L2+R2. So your bug will continue to attack, leaving behind bug swarms that you can hit for burst damage. It’s useful to get in bug buffs while continuing to attack without needing to stop, but it might be hard to get red or orange buffs depending on the monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Ant tips for the second monster? I bashed it with my spirit blade for 18 minutes and hit it with every big barrel bomb I had and I still couldn't beat it on time.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
go more ham, you're probably missing more opportunities to go anime sword on it than you realize

with LS in particular you can use fade slash to evade moves while still poking itsre butt

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 11, 2017

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
^^^ also this, just keep attacking during basically every opening, if the monster isn't actively attacking you, you should be attacking it.

Renoistic posted:

Ant tips for the second monster? I bashed it with my spirit blade for 18 minutes and hit it with every big barrel bomb I had and I still couldn't beat it on time.

Make sure you sharpen. Pay attention to the little sword icon on your HUD, underneath your stamina. It starts green, but as you attack it drains. Once it empties, it goes to yellow and refills. Once it drains again, it goes to orange and refills. If you use the "Whetstone" item, it'll restore your sharpness. You want to keep this green at all times, for two reasons: 1) your attacks bounce off more when you get to “lower” sharpness values, such as yellow and orange 2) you actually deal MORE damage while in green - I believe 1.125x damage compared to yellow. Keeping in green will keep you attacking more often, for more damage. Unfortunately the game is pretty poor at communicating this.

As for tips against that monster specifically, he starts off covered in mud, and as you attack the mud it’ll “break” and then fall off, making those body parts more vulnerable. He charges around a lot, which you can’t really do much about aside from just dodging and then trying to punish him afterwards. His little arms are his weakest point, so attacking those you’ll do the most damage.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 11, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also, depending on your weapon, don't bother hitting it in the big hard face.

edit:

So how does the radial menu actually work? I can't get it to work consistantly at all. I try to use it to sharpen, and 80% of the time, I just stand there doing nothing, while the rest of the time it magically works.

It definitely doesn't work like every other game's radial menu, where you hold the menu button, choose with the stick, and then release the menu button to make your selection. That does not work at all. Sometimes holding the selection for like 5 seconds causes the item to be used, but honestly it's a complete mystery to me what makes it work.

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 11, 2017

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Snak posted:

Also, depending on your weapon, don't bother hitting it in the big hard face.

edit:

So how does the radial menu actually work? I can't get it to work consistantly at all. I try to use it to sharpen, and 80% of the time, I just stand there doing nothing, while the rest of the time it magically works.

It definitely doesn't work like every other game's radial menu, where you hold the menu button, choose with the stick, and then release the menu button to make your selection. That does not work at all. Sometimes holding the selection for like 5 seconds causes the item to be used, but honestly it's a complete mystery to me what makes it work.

I’m fairly certain that IS how it works, maybe you ened to release the analogue stick instead of L1?

At any rate, there’s a setting in the options to make it so you need to click R3 in order to use the item you have selected, which seems to be the objectively best setting for it so I recommend that.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

for the radial menu you select the item with the stick then release the stick back to neutral while still having the menu button held down(you can let go once the item animation starts)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Brother Entropy posted:

for the radial menu you select the item with the stick then release the stick back to neutral while still having the menu button held down(you can let go once the item animation starts)

Jesus christ.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Trying that wheel for the first time was like "Okay time to open up my item menu and maybe I'll turn the camera a bit to make sure the monster isn't near me"

*character begins dressing himself, eats an entire steak, files his income tax, starts a load of wash*

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I still haven't tried Lance yet, because I always figure why not put a gun on it

But the couple new moves look pretty hype and nailing counters always makes me feel like a certified badass, maybe I'll try it tonite

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Yeah, I'm still getting used to the radial menu.

Thanks for the tips. I got him this time in 15 minutes, but I got some help from the snake-y swamp monster.

One thing I enjoy about the game is that the monsters can actually flee to different places each fight. During my last failed attempt it ran to the area with the cats that say they will help you capture it, but this time it ran to the swamp, then to a muddy area where it fell asleep.

I do wish the spirit blade had more attacks, but the spirit attacks look pretty cool. I can't consistently pull off the attack where you run to the monster, jump off it and attack as you fall. Any idea how you're supposed to do it? I managed to pull it off during training but never again.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Renoistic posted:

I do wish the spirit blade had more attacks, but the spirit attacks look pretty cool. I can't consistently pull off the attack where you run to the monster, jump off it and attack as you fall. Any idea how you're supposed to do it? I managed to pull it off during training but never again.

it's r2+triangle but i think it's a followup to something else(maybe just your standard triangle attack?) so you can't just throw it out on it's own

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

^ you can do it whenever you want but it costs a level

Lance is good as hell in this one. Nothing like picking a mon apart with surgical precision. Got some great new moves now too https://youtu.be/Y51bQwgsyLY

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Renoistic posted:

Longsword has three spirit levels. White, Yellow, and Red. Its done by pressing triangle plus R2. You need to have at least one level to use that attack as when it connects it moves you down a spirit levels but then also starts filling your spirit meter for a short amount of time. It's easiest to actually land when a monster is downed or incapacitated.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Here's a video of a guy using long sword really well https://youtu.be/SmqH85Q7LPk

Check out how he doesn't mash out spirit combos as fast as possible, instead leaving himself time to throw out a foresight in the middle of them as rath starts winding up :swoon:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

lets hang out posted:

^ you can do it whenever you want but it costs a level

Lance is good as hell in this one. Nothing like picking a mon apart with surgical precision. Got some great new moves now too https://youtu.be/Y51bQwgsyLY

Yeah superficially I keep equating it with gunlance for the obvious reason but they're really two very different weapons

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Cool, thanks, I'll try it out.

Also, I reviewed my gameplay video and noticed the felyne has a small inflatable boat when you're fighting in the mud lake :3:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

lets hang out posted:

Here's a video of a guy using long sword really well https://youtu.be/SmqH85Q7LPk

Check out how he doesn't mash out spirit combos as fast as possible, instead leaving himself time to throw out a foresight in the middle of them as rath starts winding up :swoon:

This is extremely my poo poo, but I'm sad they got rid of the sound effect for the spirit roundslash.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Renoistic posted:

Yeah, I'm still getting used to the radial menu.

Thanks for the tips. I got him this time in 15 minutes, but I got some help from the snake-y swamp monster.

One thing I enjoy about the game is that the monsters can actually flee to different places each fight. During my last failed attempt it ran to the area with the cats that say they will help you capture it, but this time it ran to the swamp, then to a muddy area where it fell asleep.

MH has a lot of depth in the weapons, it's definitely worth it to put in the time to learn them. The core mechanic of LS is building meter with triangle/circle attacks and then spending that meter with r2 attacks in order to end up with a "Spirit Roundslash" (the big fancy roundhouse slash that ends with you sheathing the weapon) that will, if it connects, level up your sword gauge to the next level (the progression is white->yellow->red). As your gauge levels up, you gain progressively stronger attack boosts (with red gauge being significantly stronger than no gauge, like nearly doubling your overall damage stronger).

The biggest strength of the LS is that you never need to stop attacking. You have relatively quick, long range slashes and access to the "fade slash" (triangle plus circle). These can performed after any attack and reposition you while doing good damage. You can hold a direction (left, right, or neutral for a backwards fade slash) to go in certain directions. A key combo is R2 after a fade slash, this performs a spirit dashing attack that moves you back in towards the monster and also skips the first two swings of your spirit combo, so you can continue hitting R2 to do the triple slash and then the roundslash.

Two new moves (and accompanying new mechanics) that were added in World are the Foresight Slash and the Spirit Thrust->Spirit Helmbreaker combo. The foresight slash can be performed at any time by hitting circle+R2. It will do a quick backdash and drain all your meter (the red bar), before dashing back in with a slash. However, if a move would have hit you during the backdash, you'll flash and if you connect the return stroke, your meter will become maxed out. If you hit R2 immediately after a successful foresight slash, you'll also immediately perform a spirit roundhouse. This is a very strong tool that can let you max out your gauge extremely quickly while sticking to the monster even more effectively than before. The second new move is the big hitter for LS, the spirit thrust, which is performed with triangle+R2. You can do this move at any time, however it will only lead to the follow up (the leaping attack) if you have at least white gauge. If it connects, your meter will regenerate constantly for a period of time, letting you really spam out your spirit combos (R2 attacks). HOWEVER, this move drains a level of gauge when it connects, and the damage is also HEAVILY modified by your gauge level (performing the move in red gauge is more than triple the damage of white gauge). So I would recommend only using it in yellow or red gauge (ideally red). It can also be tricky to land, so saving it for times when the monster is incapacitated in some way is a good idea. Keep in mind that it has crazy long range on the thrust and the helmbreaker is actually significantly easier to land if you're farther away, so you don't need to be up in the monsters grill to land it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

I still haven't tried Lance yet, because I always figure why not put a gun on it

But the couple new moves look pretty hype and nailing counters always makes me feel like a certified badass, maybe I'll try it tonite

There is no weapon in the entire game that feels so much like taking this gigantic monster and absolutely bending it to your will.

Every direction he turns there you are poking. He squares up on you but you're already gone, sidestepped out of danger and still poking. Always poking. Right up to the point where he slams his teeth into your shield, and by the time his head stops ringing you're back under his belly jabbing away.

So he turns tail to run and you become a freight train.

It's not meant to be a flashy weapon, it's meant to be an utterly demoralizing one.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

It's like if Smash Bros deleted the PING!!, unacceptable

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Thanks again for the help good tips. I tried it out in training but I'll have to try to foresight stuff in a real battle.
Right now I'm choosing between the Long sword or the horn.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What stuff do I need to do to get the face paint? I beat all the solo content, do I need to do all three as mp also?

Also Switch Axe is really cool. The whole stabbed discharge thing is really brutal and fun.

Also, for a personal milestone, I managed to kill both Anja and Great Jagras solo. 24 seconds to spare, even.

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 11, 2017

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Don't have access to the beta, but want to help and provide some insect glaive buff management tips:

In the previous 3ds versions, IG had an unsheathe attack that would send the bug out as you unsheathed. This was traditionally done with the right trigger + both attack buttons. This should still be in as far as I know, but the input may have changed. (I'm guessing R2 + Triangle + Circle while sheathed)

Since red is the first priority to get before attacking, sprint around the monster and wait for the opportunity to aim a shot at the head. With a bit of patience this should net you red immediately as you unsheathe.

Next is white: run around the monster to flank and send the kinsect out to the legs - usually white is from limbs and the legs are a safe bet. This can be monster specific, like tigrex claws giving you something else

Now that you have red+white, you can go to town. Jumping is priority as the first mount is always fairly quick to get. Once you complete the mount and have a downed monster - there's your opportunity for orange.

Orange is usually obtained from the monsters torso, but can be tricky to get with limbs flailing in your way. My group has often cited "running into the monsters butthole" as they get orange. Your results may vary. I usually went for stomach or back.

My preference is to get the double red/white buff, let the kinsect hold orange until the first buff starts to wear off, then recall to cash in the triple buff. Each double/triple up combo resets the buff timer, so this will maximize the amount of time you have to beat up on the monster, and minimize the amount of time spent extracting colors.

Geeze that's a lot of words, but I hope they're useful.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

If the main game is at all like the beta, it will be Extremely Good.

I love the monster-on-monster fighting and turning into the honorable third party that kills/captures both and takes the spoils.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Change the radial menu option to use item on pressing R3 instead of releasing, that way you're not doomed to use an item if you move the stick

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

LuiCypher posted:

If the main game is at all like the beta, it will be Extremely Good.

I love the monster-on-monster fighting and turning into the honorable third party that kills/captures both and takes the spoils.

And the number/quality of animations for monsters fighting each other is pretty great. They don't just hit each other with their regular attacks.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mentioned this earlier but I actually hope they do their normal attacks on each other more, or sometimes fight without a sync attack at all. The sync attacks look goddamn amazing but the monster infighting feature is going to lose its luster really fast if it happens every single time two monsters meet followed by one of them running away seconds later. It's probably for the best as a way to semi-organically keep you from getting doubleteamed every time some new fucker wanders in, but I hope the spectacle of it doesn't result in it becoming predictable. It would be neat if the weaker monster occasionally ends up winning and holding its ground. Has anyone seen something like that happen in the demo so far?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I appreciate everyone's insect glaive and longsword tips from earlier, so I guess I might as well ask about the other weapons I'm interested in:

Anyone have good tips for switch axe, hunting horn, and bow? I think of these, I'm least interested in the bow--it looks like at on of fun, but I feel like I should start out with a melee weapon in my first Monster Hunter game, if only to save myself ammo management mechanics while I'm still learning what monsters do and all the basics. But perhaps that's wrong!

Switch axe seems like it isn't as complex as I originally thought (beat the hell out of things in axe mode, use sword mode when you have a good opening to put out a lot of damage) but I'm curious what nuance I'm missing there. And hunting horn seems like it's just a matter of memorizing song combinations and playing them a bunch, though I'm less in love with its actual attacks so I'm only super excited to use it in multiplayer where other people get to benefit from my buffs too.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Fun fact if you pick up dung you can put it into your slingshot to fire out. If you peg a monster with poop it'll get stinky and be embarrassed and leave to a different area. Great way to handle when two monsters want you dead.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Fun fact if you pick up dung you can put it into your slingshot to fire out. If you peg a monster with poop it'll get stinky and be embarrassed and leave to a different area. Great way to handle when two monsters want you dead.

dung bombs are back baby.

Are monster pins still in the game?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Watching videos of people who are actually good at Monster Hunter made me realize I'm really not using items enough. I have clearly forgotten about things like traps and bombs existing at all. Now I can't wait to get home from work and try to, like, actually play Monster Hunter instead of running around flailing my weapon at the empty air because that stupid mud lizard keeps charging away.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
^^^Depends on how you want to play, some people kinda consider bombs + traps doing things the "easy" way, and the "real" way to hunt a monster is without relying too much on inventory items aside form healing + sharpening.

Harrow posted:

Switch axe seems like it isn't as complex as I originally thought (beat the hell out of things in axe mode, use sword mode when you have a good opening to put out a lot of damage) but I'm curious what nuance I'm missing there.

That’s the basic version, hit it in axe mode to charge up sword mode, it’s not ridiculously complex. The nuance comes from knowing each monster and knowing exactly how much time you have to deal damage, and being able to deal as much as humanly possible in that time frame. Will you get more damage out of the berserker axe combo? Out of a regular axe combo? Out of a regular sword combo? Out of the BIG HUGE BURST? It all depends on how much time you have to deal damage. You’ll generally spend most of your time in axe mode, then switch over to sword mode when there’s an opening to unload damage, then switch back to the (more mobile) axe mode. When you really get stylin’ and really know how long you have to dish out damage, you’ll be able to swap between the two forms back and forth (since they combo into each other) at the perfect moments. I’d recommend going into the training mode and whacking the pole for a bit to figure out how much each combo does (roughly) and how long they take to execute.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Huxley posted:

There is no weapon in the entire game that feels so much like taking this gigantic monster and absolutely bending it to your will.

Every direction he turns there you are poking. He squares up on you but you're already gone, sidestepped out of danger and still poking. Always poking. Right up to the point where he slams his teeth into your shield, and by the time his head stops ringing you're back under his belly jabbing away.

So he turns tail to run and you become a freight train.

It's not meant to be a flashy weapon, it's meant to be an utterly demoralizing one.

I gotta admit the idea of being a Solid Unstoppable Wall of "oh my god will you please loving stop stabbing me" has a lot of appeal. Right about it not being too fancy or flashy, though (what's the word the Japanese use for GL? The ROMAN~ weapon or something?), and I put admittedly too much stock in looking cool while I chump a t-rex :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Harrow posted:

Watching videos of people who are actually good at Monster Hunter made me realize I'm really not using items enough. I have clearly forgotten about things like traps and bombs existing at all. Now I can't wait to get home from work and try to, like, actually play Monster Hunter instead of running around flailing my weapon at the empty air because that stupid mud lizard keeps charging away.

I personally prefer the Honorabu Fox Only Final Destination method of hunting but if someone else traps or sleeps a t-rex you bet your fuckin rear end I'll bejoining the party in setting up eight large barrel bombs to self-detonate :black101:

Both methods certainly have their appeal though, demoralizing the hell out of a monster with a shock, a pitfall, para shots, sleep shots and poison shots is what makes us better than the apes and lizards of the world

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

I personally prefer the Honorabu Fox Only Final Destination method of hunting but if someone else traps or sleeps a t-rex you bet your fuckin rear end I'll bejoining the party in setting up eight large barrel bombs to self-detonate :black101:

Both methods certainly have their appeal though, demoralizing the hell out of a monster with a shock, a pitfall, para shots, sleep shots and poison shots is what makes us better than the apes and lizards of the world

I also prefer going man-mode against monsters, but it can be a ton of fun to use dual swords / sword and shield that is sleep infused, and then once it gets knocked out bombing the gently caress out of its weak points. In past games you could usually armor up for tons of bonus status damage and also gets extra bomb damage and guaranteed bomb crafting.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I must say, I did feel pretty bad for the third monster when I beat it. When I found it it was fighting a great Jagras I joined the fight and the Jagras fled. When I after many hardships managed to make a dent in the Rex it fled... straight into a Rathalos nest.

The Rathalos started beating the everloving poo poo out of it. I joined in, beating on it when it was down. Then all of a sudden the Jagras showed up and starting beating on the poor thing as well!

Then it fled, whimpering and limping, back to its nest. Where I proceeded to bomb the poo poo out it while it was sleeping. Hunting is messy business.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Renoistic posted:

I must say, I did feel pretty bad for the third monster when I beat it. When I found it it was fighting a great Jagras I joined the fight and the Jagras fled. When I after many hardships managed to make a dent in the Rex it fled... straight into a Rathalos nest.

The Rathalos started beating the everloving poo poo out of it. I joined in, beating on it when it was down. Then all of a sudden the Jagras showed up and starting beating on the poor thing as well!

Then it fled, whimpering and limping, back to its nest. Where I proceeded to bomb the poo poo out it while it was sleeping. Hunting is messy business.

maybe the only monster you'll never be able to hunt.......is man

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/capcom_unity/status/940325872170496000

Capcom's doing a stream in an hour if you care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
Just to put in the thread something Nax figured out. A more optimal damage combo for lance that isn't just get stuck charging in the head is a variation on the counter cancel thrusts which uses the power guard. It goes: circle, circle, circle, R2 + circle, holding R2 still press X, circle, circle, circle, R2+ circle etc.

This essentially allows you to integrate the charged counter stabs into your combos for that little bit more of damage.