Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

What is this from

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
the total recall remake

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

total recall "remake" is so bad that it would make more sense if john cusack played colin farrell's part

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

spectres of autism posted:

the total recall remake

lol, i'd forgotten literally everything about it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's basically the short story plot

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

infernal machines posted:

it's basically the short story plot

one of a few of pkds i havent read but id be surprised if a short dick story was weak, he usually knew how to use the limited length well

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's not a good adaptation, it's just closer to the plot of the short story than the one verhoven made

also, phrasing? are we not doing phrasing any more?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

frankly if there isnt a line where he just states 'and a woman with three breasts, three breasts' then what would the point of the story even be

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Powaqoatse posted:

ive never been able to watch a movie on a flight, i cant hear poo poo

Check this out

Go and buy a box of the fat foamy earplugs that you have to roll up to put them in your ears (they have like 30db noise reduction)

Cut a pair of them in half with scissors, and take the rounded tips. Punch a hole in center or those with a leather punch or, if you haven't got one, an icepick or large nail.

Then get a set of cheap in-ear headphones and remove the rubber tips and stretch those foam things over the ends. Squeeze them down to install them in your ears. You now have the most comfortable headphones on the planet with the greatest possible noise reduction.

I was just on a flight with a child shrieking so loud that they had three wincing flight attendants trying to calm it down, and through my headphone/plugs I could barely even notice it. Fantastic

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i tried that already but that icepick is the reason i am now hogtied in guantanamo

jk im gonna try that, worth a shot

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

bump_fn posted:

is milsf moms id like to suck and gently caress?

Mechs
I'd
Literally
Suit-up
For

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Mostly
Imperialist
Less
Substantial
Fiction

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

my, I love lovely fascism

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Powaqoatse posted:

my, I love lovely fascism

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Mostly
I
Smelling
Farts

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

mad i lost some franchise

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Best MilSF is "The Trap of Gargantius" by Stanislaw Lem. It's short, read it. Little bit of background: Trurl and Klaupacius are "constructors," essentially demigod engineers doing odd jobs for the potentates of different planets.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
jfc i love Lem

the Pirx books own and Terminus is the best ghost story iv ever read

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i don't know the definition of milsf, but Peace on Earth certainly has some heavy military aspects, and is a good book

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Sagebrush posted:

Check this out

Go and buy a box of the fat foamy earplugs that you have to roll up to put them in your ears (they have like 30db noise reduction)

Cut a pair of them in half with scissors, and take the rounded tips. Punch a hole in center or those with a leather punch or, if you haven't got one, an icepick or large nail.

Then get a set of cheap in-ear headphones and remove the rubber tips and stretch those foam things over the ends. Squeeze them down to install them in your ears. You now have the most comfortable headphones on the planet with the greatest possible noise reduction.

I was just on a flight with a child shrieking so loud that they had three wincing flight attendants trying to calm it down, and through my headphone/plugs I could barely even notice it. Fantastic

Or you could just buy some KOSS the Plug earbuds.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the worst military sci fi I ever read was the heritage trilogy [only made it 1.5 books though] by ian douglas

it had everything the typical milsf reader craves
  • absolute worship of the us marines also america is still a country [the only remaining country besides china iirc]
  • cowardly un peacekeepers led by the french
  • an a-team style raid to save the day using improvised weapons [in this case cans of beer used to make the cowardly blue hats think the marines had explosives]
  • the us tries to destroy the us by dropping an asteroid on it but nuclear weapons save the day [but chicago is destroyed but there's lots of those people there so who cares]
  • the us eventually defeats the entire rest of the world in a war

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

qirex posted:

the worst military sci fi I ever read was the heritage trilogy [only made it 1.5 books though] by ian douglas

it had everything the typical milsf reader craves
  • absolute worship of the us marines also america is still a country [the only remaining country besides china iirc]
  • cowardly un peacekeepers led by the french
  • an a-team style raid to save the day using improvised weapons [in this case cans of beer used to make the cowardly blue hats think the marines had explosives]
  • the us tries to destroy the us by dropping an asteroid on it but nuclear weapons save the day [but chicago is destroyed but there's lots of those people there so who cares]
  • the us eventually defeats the entire rest of the world in a war
I honestly don't know how cheap and bad scifi genre fiction gets published any more. Is there really a market out there for paperback books that aren't Harry Potter blockbusters?
I got the impression the arse had really fallen out of the genre fiction business, and it can't be much of a living when everybody pirates everything.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Wait, why is John Cusack not cool and good?

Oh god what did he do? :ohdear:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Powaqoatse posted:

in 2005 maybe? i had the best flight from copenhagen to paris

im told a friend walked my blackout drunk rear end into checkin, regardless i woke up at de gaulle and was pretty amazed. then i flew paris to sf hung over as gently caress which was pretty bad tbh

i can barely navigate de gaulle sober

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

communism bitch posted:

I honestly don't know how cheap and bad scifi genre fiction gets published any more. Is there really a market out there for paperback books that aren't Harry Potter blockbusters?
I got the impression the arse had really fallen out of the genre fiction business, and it can't be much of a living when everybody pirates everything.

this was 10+ years ago

also I'd guess the typical military sci fi buyer is waaay older than anyone who grew up on harry potter

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

communism bitch posted:

milsf has its target audience of old white guys with MAGA bumper stickers and concealed carry permits. its not big but its stable and these people just eat up endless rivers of tom-clancy-in-space books where battlesuited earth soldiers defeat the murderous hordes of evil bug space empress hi'la-ree k'klintawn

fox news in space, essentially

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

the only milsf fan I have met was a guy who had a literal brain tumor

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FMguru posted:

milsf has its target audience of old white guys with MAGA bumper stickers and concealed carry permits. its not big but its stable and these people just eat up endless rivers of tom-clancy-in-space books where battlesuited earth soldiers defeat the murderous hordes of evil bug space empress hi'la-ree k'klintawn

fox news in space, essentially

i guess those guys can’t spend all their time painting 40k miniatures

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

this was 10+ years ago

also I'd guess the typical military sci fi buyer is waaay older than anyone who grew up on harry potter

the typical milsf fan is jerry pournelle.

he's dead now, so that should indicate the direction that demographic is headed

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So is the Vorkosigan Saga MilSF? Because it's real cool and good.

:ohdear:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is arguably MilSF but it's real cool anyway

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

stuff is categorized as milsf because they failed at being a space opera

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

communism bitch posted:

print-on-demand means its basically zero risk to the publisher. and certain publishers will basically take anything

i'll bet a lot of it is vanity published too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

attn tori

https://twitter.com/business/status/940140138369355776

Joshi didn’t want to burden his wife or friends so he turned to a chatbot therapist called Wysa. Powered by artificial intelligence, the app promises to be “loyal, supportive and very private,” and encourages users to divulge their feelings about a recent major event or big change in their lives.

The chatbot uses natural language processing to understand and classify conversations, then responds with compassionate solutions framed by therapists. The founders consciously stayed away from replicating quick-fix solutions offered in self-help books or the therapist’s couch approach. “The chatbot provides an empathic ear, listens without judgment and guides them to the positive,” Aggarwal says. “The conversations feel natural and real.” All counseling sessions are anonymous and free; the company makes money by licensing its AI technology to enterprise customers, global insurers and healthcare providers.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

code:
HAVE YOU TRIED KILLING ALL HUMANS

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Lobe posted:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is arguably MilSF but it's real cool anyway

it's definitely milsf and lol no

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sweevo posted:

print-on-demand means its basically zero risk to the publisher. and certain publishers will basically take anything

i'll bet a lot of it is vanity published too

is the John Ringo stuff vanity published or is there a real publisher willing to back it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

baen

it's always baen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

• Locked thread