Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Raxivace posted:

Eh the time fuckery in Buddy Complex has to be a very specific amount of time to make any sense that might not work with Gurren Lagann.

Remember between the parts of Z2 where it was six months of timeskip for most series, ten for GL and Getter and whoever else was in the timeskip bubble (Xabungle...?), and like four years for the 00 Meisters for absolutely no acknowledged reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Hokuto posted:

I watched a digest for the second series, Wataru 2 (not included in this game), where Wataru and Ryujinmaru went into space by having a giant ACME-style cartoon fireworks rocket tied to its back with a lot of rope.

It's not out of the question.

That sounds like a great unit tbh

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Also its kind of a shame Unicorn isn't in because that would have been a good excuse to give Mask his Phenex from the CGI short.

Oh poo poo, I didn't even think of that.

It does however give further weight to G-Reco units maybe getting UC pilots and vice-versa.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok, quick question IRT Daitarn.
Has there ever been a more indestructible player unit in any SRW game that wasn't a flagship?

Also, not thrilled to see Cross Ange again.
Once was fine.
(Of note: I have no familiarity with the anime)

Stoked to see Mightgain back though.
Maito is my hero.

No Getter? I thought that a foundational series for SRW.

Wish they would put Gao Gai Gar into one of these so I can see what the big deal is.

Daitarn is really good but I don't think it sits on another tier to the other good, strong, tanky units that SRW has loads of. And if you want GGG content, go play Alpha 3. By the halfway mark you will either be satisfied, or sick of it and never want to see it again :v:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Dj Meow Mix posted:

That sounds like a great unit tbh

I can't really overstate how good a kid's show Wataru is. People should watch it. It's on Kissanime for streaming if you can deal with made-up HK names and NWS banner ads.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Raxivace posted:

Now that I think about it its a little weird that they're bringing R2 back but not throwing Akito the Exiled in there too.

I would love to see the Alexander/Hannibal units in one of these games with a pseudo ODE/Element system in place.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Wataru? Meh.

(It's Keith Courage)

HOLY poo poo WHAAAAAAT!?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wataru? Meh.

(It's Keith Courage)

HOLY poo poo WHAAAAAAT!?

Man, I am now picturing the English version called it Keith Courage the way they called Yamato Starblazers.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If the MC is male, there's no way I'm not naming him Keith Courage.

My step-father had a TurbographX with Keith, Space Harrier, R-Type, Slient Debuggers and a few sports games back in the day. Much nostalgia there.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Super Robot Wars X: Keith Courage in Alpha Numbers

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gyra_Solune posted:

If this isn't the loving thread title someone has dome something wrong.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
code:
Unchallengeable Daitarn 3
Aura Battler Dunbine
-New Story of Aura Battler Dunbine
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack
-Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack – Beltorchika’s Children
Mobile Suit Gundam F91
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
-Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam: The Steel Seven
+Gundam Reconguista in G
+Mashin Hero Wataru
+Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
Brave Express Mightgaine
Gurren Lagann
Gurren Lagann The Movie: The Lights in the Sky are Stars
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2
True Mazinger Edition Z: The Impact!
-True Mazinger ZERO vs Great General of Darkness
-Mazinkaiser
-Cybuster
+Buddy Complex
+Buddy Complex Final Act –Into the Skies of Tomorrow-
Cross Ange: Rondo of Angels and Dragons
Pluses for new series, minuses for units only. I'm guessing on Cybuster based on some tweets. We get a new Gundam, a new series, an old series, and a not-really-a-Super-Robot series. As the only new Gundam, I expect G-Reco will get the lion's share of the spotlight on that front. That said, any guesses as to Char's motivation for the Axis drop this time around? :allears:

Also noteworthy, the premise of the game is similar to SRW EX, 3 or 4 series are isekai, and two more involve people who find out they live in fake worlds. Dunno what to make of all that, but I imagine our OG will also be taking a trip through the wardrobe.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 11, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HitTheTargets posted:

Pluses for new series, minuses for units only. We get a new Gundam, a new series, an old series, and a not-really-a-Super-Robot series. As the only New Gundam, I expect G-Reco will get the lion's share of the spotlight on that front. Any guesses as to Char's motivation for the Axis drop this time around? :allears:

"Lt. Quattro! We recieved an image from the future!"
"The future? Show it to me! I want to see what awaits us."

"... get me the biggest rock you can find."

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

HitTheTargets posted:

Pluses for new series, minuses for units only. We get a new Gundam, a new series, an old series, and a not-really-a-Super-Robot series. As the only New Gundam, I expect G-Reco will get the lion's share of the spotlight on that front. Any guesses as to Char's motivation for the Axis drop this time around? :allears:

HUMAN SOULS ARE BEING BOUND BY MAGIC!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
He hates trains.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Endorph posted:

also with nadia in this one and yamato in v they have no excuse not to put captain harlock in the next one

e:

Endorph posted:

also with nadia in this one and yamato in v they have no excuse not to put boring gay space germans in the next one

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Luceid posted:

Daitarn is really good but I don't think it sits on another tier to the other good, strong, tanky units that SRW has loads of. And if you want GGG content, go play Alpha 3. By the halfway mark you will either be satisfied, or sick of it and never want to see it again :v:

It's mostly beaten by OGs2nd/MD version of Granzon and UX's Demonbane.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
also

when i saw this

i immediately thought of this

...and Code Geass sure is in the game

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok, quick question IRT Daitarn.
Has there ever been a more indestructible player unit in any SRW game that wasn't a flagship?

Daitarn is supremely durable but there's plenty of regularly more durable units. Gunbuster tends to be Daitarn but with an insane barrier on top and Genesic Gaogaigar(and to a lesser extent King J-Der) blow Daitarn out of the water in terms of durability. There's also a lot of niche mechanics cases which lead to potential invincibility, such as AT Field units(varies heavily based on specific game's unit balancing and AT Field values) and games with weird individual skills and mechanics(the Texas Mack, used properly, was literally invulnerable in Impact due to how Impact's shield system worked).

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Gyra_Solune posted:

Oh... Oh my god :perfect:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Looking forward to Klim Nick's cut-in just being the "I'm a genius/Oh no!" sequence.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Gyra_Solune posted:

also

when i saw this

i immediately thought of this

...and Code Geass sure is in the game

It also looks a lot like Mazinkaiser's chestplate to me.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Hoping the G-Self's boosted punch into punt Bellri did to the flex-force is an attack so I can do it to literally every single enemy in the game up up to and including the grand cosmic level threats.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Piece of junk. Stupid Amazon.co.jp sellers won't sell me their cards in America. Even the fulfilled by Amazon ones.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kanos posted:

Daitarn is supremely durable but there's plenty of regularly more durable units. Gunbuster tends to be Daitarn but with an insane barrier on top and Genesic Gaogaigar(and to a lesser extent King J-Der) blow Daitarn out of the water in terms of durability. There's also a lot of niche mechanics cases which lead to potential invincibility, such as AT Field units(varies heavily based on specific game's unit balancing and AT Field values) and games with weird individual skills and mechanics(the Texas Mack, used properly, was literally invulnerable in Impact due to how Impact's shield system worked).

Wait, I need to know how the Texas Mack example happened. I haven't played Impact but that shield seems like it has too much high power man.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Blaze Dragon posted:

Wait, I need to know how the Texas Mack example happened. I haven't played Impact but that shield seems like it has too much high power man.

Impact (and Advance) had a shield stock system. You have X number of shield defenses. This number can be upgraded. It soaks all damage up to Y amount. If damage doesn't exceed Y, then you take 0 damage and don't even deplete one of your X shield stocks.

Daitarn 3 has a shield.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Shame about no Getter, this would have been the perfect chance to use New Getter

Also would have been a good scenario to bring either God Mazinger or Mazinger USA into the franchise

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

If this isn't the loving thread title someone has dome something wrong.
What's wrong is I don't know how to change the thread title.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Ping a mod.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Okay. I keep forgetting there's no way for me to do it myself.

I'll update the OP after work sometime (so in 9 hours or so).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I hope they release Super Robot Wars Y and it's good so we can tell people to play all the ones from V to Z.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

Hokuto posted:

Impact (and Advance) had a shield stock system. You have X number of shield defenses. This number can be upgraded. It soaks all damage up to Y amount. If damage doesn't exceed Y, then you take 0 damage and don't even deplete one of your X shield stocks.

Daitarn 3 has a shield.

In addition to this, Texas Mack had a Beam Coat or something similar, which reduced damage before the shield. So generally speaking it was just flat immune to beam attacks.

It did not help that Texas Mack and some other robots had maximum upgrade slots (Impact had variable upgrade slots, so anyone with max was automatically better by having higher stats) as well as 4 item slots, in a game with V-Up Units and V-Up Ws, which gave you bonuses for how many item slots you had.

Impact was so great.

Do not play Impact.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Nephrite posted:

Do not play Impact.

This from the guy who edited my save to give my Grendizer a Distortion Field.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Caphi posted:

I hope they release Super Robot Wars Y and it's good so we can tell people to play all the ones from V to Z.
My favorite comment about the the titles was someone complaining that they skipped from SRW5 straight to SRW10.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
2nd OG finale stream happening soon!

edit: stream over, THAT WAS ALSO ME

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 12, 2017

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Nephrite posted:

Do not play Impact.

I wonder if there is a soul that exists in this waking world who would do an LP of Impact.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

MechaX posted:

I wonder if there is a soul that exists in this waking world who would do an LP of Impact.

I feel like it'd have to be a video LP for someone to get the true and awesome impact (lol) of multiple hour-long stages.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Impact or a fresh file F Final

which is more painful

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

On the topic of Daitarn, wonder if we might get some actual plot for it this time around
In V's trailer, Daitarn was actually fighting a tank from his series, and that ended up being rather misleading in that it didn't really have plot.

I believe he's fighting Might Gaine enemies in X's trailer, so the chances is probably nil.

bacon flaps posted:

I'm pretty loving curious to see what my favorite lost boy Masaki is up to.
In the talk they had in the stream, they stated that this Masaki is "a new one, not the one from Alpha or OG" and you shouldn't expect anyone other than Masaki and his cats, so I'm going to have to believe it's basically DLC bonus implementation, OE-style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
If he gets as much as Lottie and Velt then I'll be glad.

• Locked thread