Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Burkion is clearly saying that Uncle Ben's death would fundamentally change Peter Parker and keep him from acting like a "typical" kid. I don't necessarily agree but that's what he's saying.

Specifically the guilt of it, assuming it played out like it normally does.

But here we don't even know if Ben was a thing so who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Burkion posted:

But here we don't even know if Ben was a thing so who knows

In a way, I'm kind of glad of that. If I had to watch Ben get smoked for the third time in like ten years I would have thrown something at my television.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Burkion posted:

Specifically the guilt of it, assuming it played out like it normally does.

I didn't have a problem with it as The Lesson is that Spider-Man's powers shouldn't be used for personal gain, but instead to make a positive impact in the community.

I got a lot of Spider-Man comics showing Peter Parker being a complete rear end, a petty jerk, a real cad, flakey, moronic, etc...never felt like he was behaving out of character. He's flawed, that's why I like him.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Captain America purposefully invited a white supremacist and his white supremacist family members to the Avengers premiere so he could introduce them all to bone jarring body blows and devastating uppercuts. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I didn't have a problem with it as The Lesson is that Spider-Man's powers shouldn't be used for personal gain, but instead to make a positive impact in the community.

I got a lot of Spider-Man comics showing Peter Parker being a complete rear end, a petty jerk, a real cad, flakey, moronic, etc...never felt like he was behaving out of character. He's flawed, that's why I like him.

Oh no, I've gone into that before too. My favorite Peter is the angry, bitter one that we've never gotten in film yet.

I don't have a problem with Peter acting like this, my issue was how LONG he was acting like it. (Also why he stopped acting like it, because gently caress Stark)

I also think that Vulture and Peter should have met much earlier in the movie, but that would require Liz Allen to be an actual character and we can't have that

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Burkion is clearly saying that Uncle Ben's death would fundamentally change Peter Parker and keep him from acting like a "typical" kid. I don't necessarily agree but that's what he's saying.

Maybe in this spiderverse Ben just deserted May years before, so pete never even knew him

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Rough Lobster posted:

Captain America purposefully invited a white supremacist and his white supremacist family members to the Avengers premiere so he could introduce them all to bone jarring body blows and devastating uppercuts. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer

Nice.

https://youtu.be/kbivKqvh-6g

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Burkion posted:

Oh no, I've gone into that before too. My favorite Peter is the angry, bitter one that we've never gotten in film yet.

So basically, "Not my Spider-Man"? As that's been pointed among the MoS and BvS discussions, that is no longer a valid argument.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I prefer a Spiderman who knows his way around a skateboard, thank you.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Davros1 posted:

So basically, "Not my Spider-Man"? As that's been pointed among the MoS and BvS discussions, that is no longer a valid argument.

it can still be a bummer on a subjective level

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Electromax posted:

I prefer a Spiderman who knows his way around a skateboard, thank you.

Amazing Spider-Man has one of the best/worst examples of needing to provide backstory for some iconic part of the character. That skateboarding scene in the warehouse ends with a shot of a spider swinging on its web and then Peter swinging from chain to chain hanging from the ceiling. Like an audience wouldn't accept Spider-Man deciding to webswing between buildings without somehow establishing it earlier.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Brother Entropy posted:

it can still be a bummer on a subjective level

Not according to the DC threads, if one mentions they didn't like certain portrayals in Snyder's films.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Rough Lobster posted:

Close. What you do is invite them then have Captain America spend time with the kid meeting all the Avengers and pointing out what true teamwork is on the diverse Avengers roster and benefits to racial diversity are in the multicultural tapestry that is America and what the true heart and meaning of America and it’s high idealistic standards are and “leak” photos and such or that. Chris Evans literally becomes Captain America and gets a kid to reject white supremacy and his parents ideology.

Unless he’s like 12 Years old and is totally like racist in which case poo poo but the attempt was made and PR was done!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Not according to the DC threads, if one mentions they didn't like certain portrayals in Snyder's films.

Doing the Lord's work.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Gatts posted:

Close. What you do is invite them then have Captain America spend time with the kid meeting all the Avengers and pointing out what true teamwork is on the diverse Avengers roster and benefits to racial diversity are in the multicultural tapestry that is America and what the true heart and meaning of America and it’s high idealistic standards are and “leak” photos and such or that. Chris Evans literally becomes Captain America and gets a kid to reject white supremacy and his parents ideology.

Unless he’s like 12 Years old and is totally like racist in which case poo poo but the attempt was made and PR was done!

Wouldn't the Avengers roster have to be diverse first?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gatts posted:

"Captain America couldn't make it, but we tracked down the entire cast of Black Panther!"

Wait what why is he crying I thought the kid wanted to meet a super hero??

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

that's not fair, there's black sidekick and black sidekick 2 and uh...maybe scarlet witch if she's roma or jewish in the mcu?

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

Gatts posted:

this is some saturday morning cartoon poo poo

meeting celebs won't do a drat thing but embolden him to claim he is a victim to cover up his own mistakes, and i'm sure the second one of them say, "we're teaching keaton about racism" his mother will call them liberal agents trying to turn keaton into a gay prostitute for hollywood elites. he has to grow up, leave the nest, and hopefully not internalize his mother and father's racism as his own world view by maturing and meeting people with opposing view points that challenge him day to day when he willing to accept them. having the world's most expensive sensitivity training session is a waste.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Brother Entropy posted:

that's not fair, there's black sidekick and black sidekick 2 and uh...maybe scarlet witch if she's roma or jewish in the mcu?

Black Sidekick 2 and possibly Roma lady got kicked out and put in jail though.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Wait...hang on...there Black Panther and Falcon and Scarlet Witch and Black Widow and Hulk is green...and a Raccoon and a sentient Tree and I swear like it makes sense. Half the roster has “Black” in their names and uh...there’s a robot and a Purple dude is totally powerful.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It’s interesting that spider-fans seem to genuinely hate the Uncle Ben character.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Black Sidekick 2 and possibly Roma lady got kicked out and put in jail though.

Wait, is Black Widow even seen again in Civil War after she and Stark have their little post-airport argument and he peaces out to go to the sea prison?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Burkion posted:

I watched Spider-Man Homecoming

This is a pretty good write up. You seemed to have more problems than I did with it but a lot of your complaints are spot on for me. Glad to know I'm not the only person who didn't rave about it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Uncle Ben isn't really a character though, in the same sense that someone like Flash's mom isn't a character. He/she just exists to give the main character motivation

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
And don’t forget Michael Pena is Latino and can punch dudes out with one punch and tell awesome stories.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s interesting that spider-fans seem to genuinely hate the Uncle Ben character.

uncle ben being replaced by uncle tony is the biggest reason i'm still skipping homecoming

like, 'replacing blue-collar good values uncle ben with trust-fund arms dealer uncle pennybags' sounds like something you'd make up to make fun of ditko or some other libertarian jack-off in the comics industry but no, marvel studios poured millions going all in on that

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think the vulture being a hero and person to root for was a point of the movie?? Or am I really detached from Hollywood perceptions.

Although I don't know where that house would exist in Queens

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

"Uncle Ben sells guns" is an excellent addition to "Uncle Ben is shot by a gun" and "Uncle Ben dies trying to steal a gun" in the cinematic Spider-Man roster.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Next reboot: Uncle Ben IS gun

A Bio-Empathic Neutralizer designed by Richard Parker that accidentally killed its creator and resolved to raise its son

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 11, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
If they wanted to make a change like that Uncle Ben should have been Keaton/The Vulture.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Neo Rasa posted:

If they wanted to make a change like that Uncle Ben should have been Keaton/The Vulture.

It would work better if it ends with Iron Man blowing him away then going to Peter, giving him a new suit toy and declaring himself the parental figure

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I've loved Uncle Ben ever since I read a "What If..?" comic book where Aunt May is killed instead of Ben. Turns out that (in that interpretation, anyway) Ben kind of a moralizing, controlling dumbass who gets Peter blackmailed by JJJ. Spider-Man ends up a bum, it rules.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I've loved Uncle Ben ever since I read a "What If..?" comic book where Aunt May is killed instead of Ben. Turns out that (in that interpretation, anyway) Ben kind of a moralizing, controlling dumbass who gets Peter blackmailed by JJJ. Peter ends up a bum, it rules.

Is that the one where they team up and Uncle Ben drives a van around, Micro-style, and MJ waits for Peter to get out of prison?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Lobok posted:

Is that the one where they team up and Uncle Ben drives a van around, Micro-style, and MJ waits for Peter to get out of prison?

No that's the second What If that was published 20 years later. (no joke!)

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I'll always love the Rami Uncle Ben, because Peter is constantly disappointing him, and he does such a good job of being sad and disappointed all the time.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Neo Rasa posted:

Sequel hook! Vulture used to date aunt may

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jiro posted:

I'll always love the Rami Uncle Ben, because Peter is constantly disappointing him, and he does such a good job of being sad and disappointed all the time.

Also Cliff Robertson is a super good actor and his confused and frightened "Peter???!??" is extremely legit.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Ben isn't replaced through.

Uncle Ben still pretty clearly died. Peter learned the lesson of protecting those who you are able to protect.

It's why he's so gung ho about participating in anything he possibly can. He's driven to do the most.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Uncle Ben sucks. Why is his catchphrase, "With great power comes great responsibility"? To a 15 year old kid in Brooklyn? Is he grooming Peter to run for Senate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

porfiria posted:

Uncle Ben sucks. Why is his catchphrase, "With great power comes great responsibility"? To a 15 year old kid in Brooklyn? Is he grooming Peter to run for Senate?

He probably wanted this really smart kid to use his intellect for good and not to do something lovely like get into weapons manufacturing.

• Locked thread