Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009

Yaws posted:

The problem is Jar Jar only get introduced 1/4 into the movie.

No, he shows up 12 minutes into TPM which is nowhere near 1/4th of the movie. More like 1/10th actually.

Not that it matters that much how early a protagonist shows up. Look at Luke, who doesn't appear in ANH until the 17 minute mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm not trying to say that the Phantom Menace is the equal to Jurassic Park (or Oedipus) but rather to point out that criticizing it for not having an immediately identifiable main protagonist or main antagonist (Palpatine, btw) is very limiting. Many stories don't have main protagonists or antagonists. Many well respected stories don't.
Yeah, the antagonist criticism is weirder than the protagonist one (though while TPM doesn't have a single protagonist, no one's said why that's bad), because Palpatine is a pretty textbook main antagonist, in that he's the source of pretty much all the opposition to the heroes pursuing their goals. There are other minor antagonists, like the Trade Federation and Maul, that provide a more immediate source of conflict, but that's like every narrative ever. Viral spiral seems to be using some weird definition where an antagonist has to be literally the only thing standing in the way of the heroes, and the heroes have to know they're the antagonist. I don't know if that's from RLM or their own invention, but neither are necessary.

AOTC would have been a better argument, since its antagonist changes from Zam to Jango to Dooku right up to the very end where we learn that it was Palpatine all along, but again, that just makes it different, not an inherently bad narrative choice.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Milky Moor posted:

There haven't been any confirmed spoilers out in the wild yet. There are some people claiming certain things but nothing solid. Seems like Disney has people on Reddit and other places getting rid of them, even on the leak subreddits.

There’s some stuff being corroborated from several sources. Lots of debate but I’m betting they are legit. If so, the movie is going to be prequel level divisive.

Danger fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 11, 2017

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Danger posted:

If so, he movie is going to be prequel level divisive.
:getin:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm suddenly full hype again.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

If accurate, hard core wookiepedia Star Wars fans are gonna haaaaate it. Definitely not following the mold. I kinda dig the bigger revelatory plot points. Also when he took the job Rian Johnson said he was a prequel fan, so there ya go.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Can someone please tell who the gently caress is the main protagonist of Empire? I think its Lando. Is it Lando?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yaws posted:

The problem is Jar Jar only get introduced 1/4 into the movie.

That’s not a problem. Unless you mean that it is also a problem in Alien, 2001: Space Odyssey, and Star Wars Episode 4 A New Hope.

The rule you invented is a fake rule.

You made it up because, instead of simply reading the film, you decided to work backwards from your preexisting conclusion. You will now say anything and everything, regardless of whether it’s true or accurate, so long as it leads to a ‘win’. “The protagonist must be introduced in the first 15 minutes”, “the protagonist is the character with the most magic powers”, whatever.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 11, 2017

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

“the protagonist is the character with the most magic powers”

To be fair, this should always be true.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

That’s not a problem. Unless you mean that it is also a problem in Alien, 2001: Space Odyssey, and Star Wars Episode 4 A New Hope.

The rule you invented is a fake rule.

You made it up because, instead of simply reading the film, you decided to work backwards from your preexisting conclusion. You will now say anything and everything, regardless of whether it’s true or accurate, so long as it leads to a ‘win’. “The protagonist must be introduced in the first 15 minutes”, “the protagonist is the character with the most magic powers”, whatever.

Unlike Jar Jar Binks the examples you provided were given what we call character arcs.

Again, you have no idea what you're talking about.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Attack of the Clones might not look totally real but it looks loving dope
https://i.imgur.com/8Zgaamt.mp4

The first part of this .gif is a perfect example of the comping issues. Look at his hair and face. Ugh.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

audience pov characters are dumb baby poo poo. i mean not always sometimes it works but really who needs that these days.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yaws posted:

Unlike Jar Jar Binks the examples you provided were given what we call character arcs.

I am writing about your stance, which is continually changing. Your first post said that Jar Jar cannot be the protagonist because he is racially inferior. Your next post said that Jar Jar cannot be the protagonist because he appears onscreen 12 minutes into the narrative. You are now claiming that Jar Jar has no character arc.

That latest claim is also false. The character begins the film as a slacker who only helps out of a sense of obligation to Quigon, but then takes a moral stance when he learns yousa [Amidala’s] people gonna die. He fights at the end despite being terribly afraid.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I dont even think Lucas was really thinking much about the old star wars when he was writing TPM. I think given the time he was probably thinking more about like, Jurassic Park

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

viral spiral posted:

Who's the main protagonist of TPM?

You mean other than George Lucas? :v:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Yaws posted:

Jar Jar has the most easily recognizable character arc in TPM.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jiro posted:

You mean other than George Lucas? :v:

Luke S., a white middle-class motorhead with big dreams but no particular aspirations, is, by means of a projector, introduced to his destiny in a secret world where things can be done far beyond what most people believe possible, including a few notable demonstrations of unusual persuasiveness and audio-visual illusions.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

Luke S., a white middle-class motorhead with big dreams but no particular aspirations, is, by means of a projector, introduced to his destiny in a secret world where things can be done far beyond what most people believe possible, including a few notable demonstrations of unusual persuasiveness and audio-visual illusions.

I can't help but read this with the SuperFriends narrator voice in my head.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

Jiro posted:

I can't help but read this with the SuperFriends narrator voice in my head.

Meanwhile, at the Hall of Justice...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Phantom Menace switches protagonists halfway in, like Psycho.

It’s initially Jar Jar, then he gets replaced by Anakin - because the racist Jedis literally perform a blood test that determines Anakin is genetically superior.

If only they had thought to give Jar Jar the eugenics test they would have learned that he was the true Sith Lord and stopped his evil plot.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Hot tip for anyone who wants to revisit the OT but has seen them so many times that it's burned into your head and you can hardly watch it like a real movie: the radio dramas for the OT are on archive.org. Lines are tweaked and scenes are added to the point that it's still engaging if you have the films memorized.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Ingmar terdman posted:

Hot tip for anyone who wants to revisit the OT but has seen them so many times that it's burned into your head and you can hardly watch it like a real movie: the radio dramas for the OT are on archive.org. Lines are tweaked and scenes are added to the point that it's still engaging if you have the films memorized.

This is most true for ANH, with each successive film having less and less "new" content.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Hey guys! Only 3 more days until The Last Jedi! What are you guys discussing in h.....

:yikes:

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Mahoning posted:

Hey guys! Only 3 more days until The Last Jedi! What are you guys discussing in h.....

:yikes:

Honestly this is pretty standard Staf Wars thread discussion. We are still fascinated with the Fantom Menace nearly 20 years after it's release.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Were the reviews good? I like bite-sized Twitter reviews, but I don't know how to work Twitter.

*hint hint*

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

They were glowing, but they were always going to be glowing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

UmOk posted:

Honestly this is pretty standard Staf Wars thread discussion. We are still fascinated with the Fantom Menace nearly 20 years after it's release.

The fandom menace

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kart Barfunkel posted:

They were glowing, but they were always going to be glowing.

But HOW glowing? Like best Star Wars since "Star Wars" glowing?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Some media site for dinosaurs rounded them up.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-impressions-for-star-wars-the-last-jedi-are-1821163099

Get hype!

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

This movie is going to be very divisive. Remember Johnson is a big prequel fan; so this thread will have something to talk about for the next 20 years.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Danger posted:

This movie is going to be very divisive. Remember Johnson is a big prequel fan; so this thread will have something to talk about for the next 20 years.

Why can't the prequels just be forgotten already? :negative:

Jiro fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 11, 2017

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Because they’re good.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Star Wars fans want Star Wars forgotten.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I really don't understand the hate for the prequels. I just really like star wars so whether they're objectively good or bad is completely irrelevant to my enjoyment of them :shrug:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Because they’re good.

I wholeheartedly disagree but it's nice that you like it.

For me the only good prequel material was the Gendy Tartakovsky Clone Wars mini series.

fridge corn posted:

I really don't understand the hate for the prequels. I just really like star wars so whether they're objectively good or bad is completely irrelevant to my enjoyment of them :shrug:

. Honestly all my gripes have been said over and over by other people that explain it better, so I'll just say the Plinkett reviews on the prequels pretty accurately points out why I cannot stand them

Jiro fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 11, 2017

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

A quick rundown: Star Wars fans don't actually like Star Wars.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Also read a funny interview with Hamill today where I guess his son was big into the EU and told him about a bunch of stuff like Mara Jade and him having a kid and Hamill asked Rian Johnson why they couldn't do something like that and Rian pretty much told him to get out of here with that poo poo.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Prequels good, so what

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

PostNouveau posted:

But HOW glowing? Like best Star Wars since "Star Wars" glowing?

Yeah. Same stuff people said about TFA when it came out.

The French and German initial reviews are, apparently, much less glowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Milky Moor posted:

Yeah. Same stuff people said about TFA when it came out.

The French and German initial reviews are, apparently, much less glowing.

Ah, what do they know? I only trust people who've been flown in on Disney's dime to get treated to a bunch of cool Star Wars poo poo before seeing the film.