Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

theodop posted:

Their workaround? Nobody is allowed to purchase >128GB laptop hard drives, to prevent "too much" data being lost.

hahahahaha omg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

theodop posted:

Their workaround? Nobody is allowed to purchase >128GB laptop hard drives, to prevent "too much" data being lost.

goldmine

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

theodop posted:

what the christ?

is this, like, written down somewhere official?

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching

infernal machines posted:

what the christ?

is this, like, written down somewhere official?

absolutely not

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
what are the odds that everyone is just installing dropbox, onedrive, etc. to get around this lol stop-loss effort?

:thunk:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

well there’s that at least

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
100%?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

what are the odds that everyone is just installing dropbox, onedrive, etc. to get around this stop-loss?

Dropbox doesn’t give you more storage space. :ssh:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

dropbox doesn't do partial sync?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

one of my gr clients has a contractor that just keeps putting work related files in google drive, no matter how many loving times i tell him he can't do that, he does

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

what are the odds that everyone is just installing dropbox, onedrive, etc. to get around this lol stop-loss effort?

0% since all documents are already on network shares and the like.

all my HDD space is taken up by Windows, Outlook cache, VS2015, Netbeans, and whatever is in my downloads folder that I haven't deleted yet

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

dropbox doesn't do partial sync?

using it to juggle space is a recipe for disaster. it’s super easy to delete at the wrong time and lose stuff.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

FCKGW posted:

https://twitter.com/magoo/status/939227346887884800

theft of 4700 bitcoins is $75,000,000

not bad for a couple hours work

:lol: split-VPN on a production network, nice.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

MrMoo posted:

:lol: split-VPN on a production network, nice.

You can't disable split-VPN unless you control the client, so....

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

theodop posted:

I have another layer on this.

None of our work PCs have drive encryption because they're too busy bikeshedding the solution.

The upshot is that since the last Windows update I no longer have enough space to have VS2015 and 2017 installed simultaneously and I can't procure a larger HDD to do my loving job

Security Fuckup Megathread - v14.2 - Nobody is allowed to purchase >128GB laptop hard drives, to prevent "too much" data being lost.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

one of my gr clients has a contractor that just keeps putting work related files in google drive, no matter how many loving times i tell him he can't do that, he does

our loving cto uses his personal gdrive to transfer proprietary company poo poo between his computer and... every arbitrary VM he's remoted into, because he didn't know you can just transfer poo poo using remote desktop until i finally made a point of telling him after the second or third time i found an important server VM with chrome sitting open still logged in to and showing his private personal google account

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

those customers got a latte more than they bargained for

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
2017 still rolling out the hits:

https://twitter.com/giladby/status/939010697144315905

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

wait is that nearly $4bn in bitcoin?

what the gently caress??

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

dats a c00l cyberpunk

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

anthonypants posted:

windows server hasn't had 32-bit versions since ws2008

Yet the desktop version not only still supports 32 bit trashboxes but just introduced the ARM version with x86 emulation that only supports 32 bit. They just won't let that poo poo die.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

theodop posted:

:shittypop:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

wolrah posted:

Yet the desktop version not only still supports 32 bit trashboxes but just introduced the ARM version with x86 emulation that only supports 32 bit. They just won't let that poo poo die.

why would you possibly care about this though? the only thing i can come up with where it'd matter on a security level is that it limits the possible aslr entropy, but even that is very minor, making this a hugely irrelevant number on a spec-sheet for almost all purposes

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

theodop posted:

:downsa:

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1417#c3

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

why would you possibly care about this though? the only thing i can come up with where it'd matter on a security level is that it limits the possible aslr entropy, but even that is very minor, making this a hugely irrelevant number on a spec-sheet for almost all purposes

From a direct security perspective, yeah ASLR is about it. Supporting legacy hardware/software of course has some indirect security implications just because a lot of that stuff you're supporting wasn't designed to be secure in the first place, but that's not really the platform's fault. I'm just tired of walking in to a new customer and finding machines with 7/8/10 32 bit installed which will have to have a reinstall before they can take a RAM upgrade. 4GB of address space just isn't enough.

It's one more platform that has to be supported, and it's one that has significant negatives with basically the only positives being compatibility with ancient trash. If you don't need to run 16 bit applications or use devices that haven't seen a new driver since XP it's all negative.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

people piping random tweets into sudo bash. very good opsec

https://twitter.com/Kuwaddo/status/940288213314359296

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Jewel posted:

https://twitter.com/kuwaddo/status/940288325914693632

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
does it count as ace?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jewel posted:

at first I thought this was gonna be like tweeting to bots that parse the tweet unsafely and get owned but lol its way better

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jewel posted:

:perfect:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Got my Sec+ 501 study guide today. Turns out the reason there's no voucher in the book is it says in the introduction "vouchers are changed periodically, so go to this website where we'll always have a working one."

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
should've replaced it with one that mimics the output of rm -rfv --no-preserve-root /

maybe with a little pause at the start so it looks like it's doing something

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

those customers got a latte more than they bargained for
causing the laptop to blow hot air out of the vente

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
and, to literally no one's surprise, Boeing 757 Testing Shows Airplanes Vulnerable to Hacking, DHS Says

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

unfortunately without knowing what was hacked other than "its classified" its not particularly useful. i bet its only loving with ACARS which would involve an HF transmitter

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

so it's confirmed, i can disable the avionics from my headset infotainment unit?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

so it's confirmed, i can disable the avionics from my headset infotainment unit?

Only if you overclock it first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Frankly if you can do anything from the infotainment system, you'll do what the manufacturer could not.

• Locked thread