Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Yea, I'm willing to bet that the main plot beats that appeared yesterday are accurate. They have seemingly match up with a lot of other vague leaks and are just weird enough out of context to be accurate. Apparently the Reddit/Tumblr community is melting down over it because of something called Reylo which I don't have any desire to investigate.

Even then, the plot synopsis that was leaked is really disjointed, but dropped a couple bombshells if you are looking for them:

Rey's parents were poor scrap dealers. This is the best development.
Luke astral projects himself to fight Kylo and is killed. He never leaves the island.
Kylo and Rey team up to kill Snoke, Kylo takes over command of the First Order.

There ya go.

edit: We'll know more later today though. Disney has four press screenings today: 10am, 1pm, 4pm, and 7pm PST. There is no social media embargo.

Danger fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Danger posted:

Kylo and Rey team up to kill Snoke, Kylo takes over command of the First Order.

I kind of love this twist on the Empire Strikes Back plot beat

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The whole Force Projection stuff might also be rooted in something: One of the earliest drafts for RotJ, when the confrontation took place in the lava chambers of the moon above (then named Had Abbadon) Coruscant, Obi-Wan came back as Force Ghost "in the flesh" (whatever the gently caress Lucas meant with that).
http://www.starwarz.com/starkiller/draft-variations-for-return-of-the-jedi/

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Mark Hamill explained. "At times, I'd say to Rian, 'We gotta think of what the audience wants,'" Hamill said. "And he'd say, 'No, we've gotta think of what we want.' "

I love this guy.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Decius posted:

The whole Force Projection stuff might also be rooted in something: One of the earliest drafts for RotJ, when the confrontation took place in the lava chambers of the moon above (then named Had Abbadon) Coruscant, Obi-Wan came back as Force Ghost "in the flesh" (whatever the gently caress Lucas meant with that).
http://www.starwarz.com/starkiller/draft-variations-for-return-of-the-jedi/

I have a case that has a small Darth Vader figure in it but more importantly there is a book that details the journey of Luke from Starkiller to Skywalker. In it shows some initial design drawings and story beats, an interesting one that supposedly took place between ANH and ESB was Luke on a planet with some ancient ruins looking for info about the Jedi to learn more and continue his training. Vader shows up and starts going for Luke, Obi-Wan materializes for the first time and essentially possesses Luke and fights Vader to a draw.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

That's all that's out there.

Currently, I'm on the side of Kylo Kills Snoke, Luke Dies, Yoda Appears, and whatever that nonsense is being legitimate, though. Mainly because no one has discredited it beyond "But the children's book doesn't say Yoda shows up!!" And someone posted the same sort of thing together with an image of entrance passes.

Yeah these seem to be pretty likely, which is...odd, I think? I'm not sure. I'm trying to get myself to a place where I'm not using my dislike of TFA against TLJ but from some of these likely spoilers I'm coming away with a feeling of TLJ not seeming like the movie that TFA tee'd up...and that's probably good? Given that TFA was a shitshow?

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Jiro posted:

I have a case that has a small Darth Vader figure in it but more importantly there is a book that details the journey of Luke from Starkiller to Skywalker. In it shows some initial design drawings and story beats, an interesting one that supposedly took place between ANH and ESB was Luke on a planet with some ancient ruins looking for info about the Jedi to learn more and continue his training. Vader shows up and starts going for Luke, Obi-Wan materializes for the first time and essentially possesses Luke and fights Vader to a draw.

Yeah, that's from Splinter of the Mind's Eye, a story that was going to be the budget sequel to A New Hope if it hadn't taken off and got turned into the first Star Wars EU novel. (No Han in it, because Harrison Ford would have been too expensive for the hypothetical movie.) Which due to being written pre-RotJ is full of awkward Luke/Leia shipping and also has a fight scene where Vader throws a Hadouken.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Waffles Inc. posted:

Yeah these seem to be pretty likely, which is...odd, I think? I'm not sure. I'm trying to get myself to a place where I'm not using my dislike of TFA against TLJ but from some of these likely spoilers I'm coming away with a feeling of TLJ not seeming like the movie that TFA tee'd up...and that's probably good? Given that TFA was a shitshow?

If Luke really does die at the end I'll be pretty disappointed tbh, the idea of Kylo fighting a ghost of his Uncle because his uncle won't leave the island for unknown reasons just seems kinda lovely. Plus it's just another fight that could have weight behind it but now made uncertain with cgi fighting. Also it mirrors Yoda on Dagobah too closely.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 11, 2017

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Assuming the Pawn leaks are true (which I doubt: people on the forums said he's done this before with Rogue One and was dead wrong, he had his Facebook attached to his account and he was some random Louisiana lawyer, etc) I think Snoke is the biggest problem. Luke seemingly dying but really transcending and becoming a super force entity? Cool. Rey being just some person, meaning it's a conflict on ideology, not blood? Cool. But Snoke has been the main mystery of the new trilogy. Books and comics and everything have said he is this weird threat from the unknown regions that the Chiss fear. He's ancient and grand and terrifying. It makes no sense to hype him up like that only to just kill him out of nowhere with no answers.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
I’m surprised at the amount of people I’ve seen taken aback/upset about Luke possibly dying. I’m going into TLJ expecting it. I mean he’s set up to be an Obi Wan (from the OT) type guiding force and while there will inevitably be twists on that i always assumed it would end with him dying (or force ghosting or w/e).

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

trash person posted:

I’m surprised at the amount of people I’ve seen taken aback/upset about Luke possibly dying. I’m going into TLJ expecting it. I mean he’s set up to be an Obi Wan (from the OT) type guiding force and while there will inevitably be twists on that i always assumed it would end with him dying (or force ghosting or w/e).

But it's once again what people didn't like about TFA, I assume it's in following the beats of the original trilogy, having him die while wallowing in self exile just drives home, to me anyway, that Luke was trained really really badly by Obi-Wan, and Yoda, and the shame of that knowledge or lack there of is what keeps him tethered to that rock of an island. Why not have him get over his poo poo, accept he hosed up and get back out there as a force for good? You could even have a scene on the Falcon where Chewie is having trouble piloting by himself and Rey is on the guns trying to escape the First Order, and he grumbles "I may be a failed Jedi, but I'm still a drat good pilot." and proceeds to take the wheel.

Basically I want Luke to morph into Space Murtaugh.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Hamill gave a really good interview recently about his initial disagreement with the script and how it helped get into the mindset. He said something like he saw the jedi as this good samaritan force that would always do the right thing, so this disillusioned Luke didn't sit right. What made him come around was comparing it to his reality; growing up in the 60's and 70's as a progressive and just knowing that you're riding this peace and love wave and the world will be a better place...until you arrive in the next century and that peace and love generation just screwed everything up. He was supposed to bring harmony to the galaxy but he and his friends just ended up screwing everything up anyways; there is no chosen one.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
i think it would be hilarious if he is a space ghost fighting Kylo, loses, and then it cuts to the island and his robes are a pile on the island. Next movie comes out, Rey goes to get his lightsaber, and Luke's just been hanging out naked the whole time. Also the camera does not pan away from his hog and it is very gross

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Here's my gripe is that Luke throwing away his sword and denouncing the Jedi meant that he finally broke free of the failed and broken ideology of Yoda and Obi-Wan that birthed Vader and brought in the Empire. The Jedi are a broken, dumb and bad institution...and Luke rejected them outright and reclaimed the "true" meaning of a Jedi. "I am a Jedi, like my father before me" is more right than Luke knows, in that Anakin also rejected the Jedi bullshit

But I guess he...didn't? And he has to die for it in this?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

i think it would be hilarious if he is a space ghost fighting Kylo, loses, and then it cuts to the island and his robes are a pile on the island. Next movie comes out, Rey goes to get his lightsaber, and Luke's just been hanging out naked the whole time. Also the camera does not pan away from his hog and it is very glorious.

Hey, what happens on Jedi Island STAYS on Jedi Island.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian

Jiro posted:

Hey, what happens on Jedi Island STAYS on Jedi Island.

rey, eyes trained up at the sky: this is ridiculous, i thought you were dead!
luke: [does 30 minutes of squat lunges and naked tai chi]

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

The way this and other particular leaks went, it sounds like the force projection thing is one of the surprises. Like, Kylo is wrecking poo poo on Crait and Luke appears out of nowhere to save them as a big surprise. Then after the fight the big surprise is that he's not actually there, but still on the island.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Danger posted:

The way this and other particular leaks went, it sounds like the force projection thing is one of the surprises. Like, Kylo is wrecking poo poo on Crait and Luke appears out of nowhere to save them as a big surprise. Then after the fight the big surprise is that he's not actually there, but still on the island.

So Luke pulls an Iron Man 3 essentially.

Edit: In Iron Man 3 a few times Tony remote pilots his new janky armor via headset, the movie tricks you from time to time by showing his face with the HUD layout in front of him, only to reveal that he wasn't in the suit at all, usually via the suit breaking into a bunch of pieces.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 11, 2017

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

I guess so, I have zero memory of Iron Man 3. But that's also heavy speculation.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Looking forward to Snoke's reveal as Kreia.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Another dude in that RPF forum who says he was at the premier said he disagrees with Pawn's interpretation of some stuff, but the plot points are all correct, so looks like we are good to go on renaming FYAD.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Waffles Inc. posted:

That's the same weird feeling I have. If TLJ is great, which it might be, it feels like it'll make TFA this fairly bizarre movie.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Yea the general consensus seems to be that Johnson is upending expectations, a couple of leakers I have see have even compared some sequences as being really pre-quel reminiscent; and Johnson is a big prequel fan. I generally dig the subversion of expectation and canon.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Danger posted:

Yea the general consensus seems to be that Johnson is upending expectations, a couple of leakers I have see have even compared some sequences as being really pre-quel reminiscent; and Johnson is a big prequel fan. I generally dig the subversion of expectation and canon.

Oh Jesus god no...............more conversations about rough course substances.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Waffles Inc. posted:

Here's my gripe is that Luke throwing away his sword and denouncing the Jedi meant that he finally broke free of the failed and broken ideology of Yoda and Obi-Wan that birthed Vader and brought in the Empire. The Jedi are a broken, dumb and bad institution...and Luke rejected them outright and reclaimed the "true" meaning of a Jedi. "I am a Jedi, like my father before me" is more right than Luke knows, in that Anakin also rejected the Jedi bullshit

But I guess he...didn't? And he has to die for it in this?
The question becomes "what is a Jedi, what are the Jedi, what do they do." The usual fan-blob answer seems to be that they're dumb stupids who suck and shouldn't be there so we can focus more on sexy drug smugglers.

However they do have their fans so I expect it will be made more explicit that whatever lightsaber-flavored wandering samurai techniques that Rey and Kylo get up to, it will be in a new situation. (I figure they'll somehow reclaim it just because Disney will probably not throw away that marketing token.)

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Rabid Star Wars fans are fascinating. It seems like that Star Wars leaks subreddit where all these are kind of conglomerating is actively being censored by the mod team. They've had two different posts now that corroborate the original leaks, one being ET Canada, deleted.

edit: Though I do love the common argument that the leaks can't be real because people are saying they liked the movie.

Danger fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 11, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Danger posted:

Rabid Star Wars fans are fascinating. It seems like that Star Wars leaks subreddit where all these are kind of conglomerating is actively being censored by the mod team. They've had two different posts now that corroborate the original leaks, one being ET Canada, deleted.

edit: Though I do love the common argument that the leaks can't be real because people are saying they liked the movie.

If I were Disney, I'd definitely have people on that subreddit trying to discredit any leaks.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

If I were Disney, I'd definitely have people on that subreddit trying to discredit any leaks.

I wonder if you hire a third party company for that kind of work, or if you can get hired in the House of Mouse directly. Seems like it might be a decent paycheck for a side job whenever these kinds of movies roll around.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man I just don't know how to feel about all this assuming at least a good portion of the leaks are true. Luke dying after leaving an incredibly lovely legacy in Kylo Ren and the destroyed Jedi Temple and then loving off to some island for 30 years to wallow in disillusionment sounds like a really poo poo way to wrap up his character arc.

Maybe it will seem better once the movie comes out (and obviously Luke physically dying doesn't mean he won't still hang out like Obi Wan and Yoda as force ghosts or whatever) but it's probably the thing that makes me most apprehensive about TLJ so far. I think Rey being a nobody is fine even though mainline Star Wars films are supposed to be Skywalker centric.

I think that Luke's legacy ending up being giant piss baby Kylo Ren sucks pretty hard and retroactively frames the OT in a really poor light. Like when Chrono Chross came out and dropped a massive deuce all over the characters from Chrono Trigger in an incredibly hosed up and spiteful way.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Honestly, Rey not having some kind of important heritage is a plus to me.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

DrNutt posted:

Man I just don't know how to feel about all this assuming at least a good portion of the leaks are true. Luke dying after leaving an incredibly lovely legacy in Kylo Ren and the destroyed Jedi Temple and then loving off to some island for 30 years to wallow in disillusionment sounds like a really poo poo way to wrap up his character arc.

Maybe it will seem better once the movie comes out (and obviously Luke physically dying doesn't mean he won't still hang out like Obi Wan and Yoda as force ghosts or whatever) but it's probably the thing that makes me most apprehensive about TLJ so far. I think Rey being a nobody is fine even though mainline Star Wars films are supposed to be Skywalker centric.

I think that Luke's legacy ending up being giant piss baby Kylo Ren sucks pretty hard and retroactively frames the OT in a really poor light. Like when Chrono Chross came out and dropped a massive deuce all over the characters from Chrono Trigger in an incredibly hosed up and spiteful way.

:agreed:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

It seems to be in a weird place where it beholden to begin immediately where TFA ends (Rey handing the lightsaber) without any sort of timeskip forwards, but it also seems to be set on just throwing away just about every mystery box from TFA -- whether that's good or bad.

Who is Snoke? Doesn't matter, he's dead. Why did Rey get those visions and who are her parents? She's a random person. Who are the Knights of Ren? A bunch of Sir Not Appearings In This Film. What does Snoke mean by finishing Kylo's training? :shrug: Are they going to do anything interesting with Kylo and Rey? No, Kylo goes more evil and Rey stays a hero. What is [thing from x, y, z book or novel]? Irrelevant in totality.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 12, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Knights of Ren thing really throws me for a loop because didn’t spy shots show Daisy and Mark fighting a big group of dark-clothed people on Skellig? This was the same spy shot stuff that seemed to confirm Adam Driver on Skellig too.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Knights of Ren thing really throws me for a loop because didn’t spy shots show Daisy and Mark fighting a big group of dark-clothed people on Skellig? This was the same spy shot stuff that seemed to confirm Adam Driver on Skellig too.

Yes, apparently. That's what I mean by Disney just deliberately throwing out noise to fool people. I mean, is it that much of a stretch when movies like Rogue One had things like Jyn facing down the TIE Fighter?

So, someone says, 'the Knights of Ren don't appear and Kylo never shows up on that planet' and people immediately go 'But Adam Driver was on set there so you're obviously lying'. Same thing with Yoda and the children's book.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Rogue One was a different situation though, a lot of the “iconic” moments from the trailers came from Edwards continuing to roll camera between takes just to play around (Jyn in the lighted hallway) and from the marketing team purposely inserting new stuff into trailers (TIE vs Jyn). That’s quite different from flying a big group of extras/stuntmen to an island that’s wary about large numbers of visitors and rehearsing a battle scene with your leads just so a fan site can take spy shots from two miles away. Maybe it’s just wishful thinking on my part, but that doesn’t seem to make a whole lot of sense.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

The leaks I read had Kylo and the Knights on arch to I thought. They just fled.

Rey being a nobody is the best development. Star Wars was originally an empowerment fantasy, the poor farmer being capable of greatness.

The orphan girl isn’t great because she is a secret princess or blasphemous child messiah, she is just a junkers daughter and capable of greatness.

Danger fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 12, 2017

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Well never mind. A dude who definitely saw the presser today is doing an ama. The Pawn leaks were legit.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Danger posted:

Well never mind. A dude who definitely saw the presser today is doing an ama. The Pawn leaks were legit.

wait, where are the Pawn leaks?

edit: according The Pawn he was trolling?

Who the gently caress knows.

I don't even know which spoilers are supposed to be real or not anymore :(

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Koalas March posted:

The dude on the RPF forum who wrote a synopsis yesterday. He wasn’t the greatest communicator but everything he said was correct. The dude on Reddit who has leaked pressers in the past is doing a much better job, but falls in line with all the earlier leaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Koalas March posted:

edit: according The Pawn he was trolling?

Who the gently caress knows.

I don't even know which spoilers are supposed to be real or not anymore :(

He later said he was being sarcastic because so many people were slinging poo poo at him.

/u/vieweranon is the dude who leaked the justice league press screening and is doing so for last Jedi on the leaks subreddit. He’s generally accepted as being legit and corroborates the Pawn stuff.

Danger fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 12, 2017

• Locked thread