Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Imagine the housing crisis *10 and everyone involved is a turbonerd or a drug addict

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My girlfriend's roommate mines Ethereal and claims that it pays for the $4000 he spent on his mining rig. He and his wife (who is my girlfriend's other roommate) are crowdsourcing their honeymoon.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Nice! posted:

Your friend is a moron and there is no evening out. Current bitcoin can only handle a few transactions per second and the blockchain will continue to grow with use. Neither of these have anything to do with the artificial number of potential bitcoins.

Ah nah neither of us have anything in bitcoin, just talking about it trying to figure it out. I mentioned that I thought there was a scalability problem with blockchain stuff and he thought it would even out once the full number of coins was done. Does the blockchain calculation not age out earlier transactions and will only continue to increase in size per transaction then?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Immanentized posted:

That and transactions are limited by the backing network's ability and permissions to validate and authenticate each and every single transaction. The wide=eyed believers are all saying that it's possibly to work around this, but you're getting into derivative technologies and are diluting the core concept that is/was "Bitcoin". The technology currently in use is this abomination of half-understood logic forced onto to the blockchain that was never meant to be used in this scale. The other issue, and someone else can expand on this for me as I don't completely understand it, but I believe the exchanges aren't honoring the entire value of a bitcoin at this time. One of them is offering 50% value of any transaction in the form of another crypto that's "Just as good as cash!".

I think it was called Tether? My google-fu is weak.

Tether is a token created by bitfinex to try to cover their asses with stolen bitcoin assets. It is one of the key fraudulent things that's pumping up the value of bitcoin.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

That Works posted:

Ah nah neither of us have anything in bitcoin, just talking about it trying to figure it out. I mentioned that I thought there was a scalability problem with blockchain stuff and he thought it would even out once the full number of coins was done. Does the blockchain calculation not age out earlier transactions and will only continue to increase in size per transaction then?

The bitcoin implementation will continue to grow larger with no end in sight.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

psydude posted:

Block chain consists of thousands of different computers verifying the integrity of a transaction by computing a series of cryptographic hashes that are derived from the previous transaction in the chain. In other words, it requires the ability to calculate floating points, which means using GPUs, which are very power hungry.

The entire ecosystem depends upon people volunteering to verify the transactions. Bitcoin rewards people for doing this with money; however, Bitcoin was also designed to have a finite amount of Bitcoin in circulation, meaning that as more buttcoins are mined, the time and resources to get a single BC go up logarithmically. Again, this is fine if, say, a bunch of people with a vested interest in the system (hospitals, logistics companies) are willing to dedicate resources, but not so much when the people are only motivated by the digital equivalent of hoarding gold or buying drugs.

https://twitter.com/MichaelPorfirio/status/882284144226701313

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also the head of the SEC just came out and said all ICOs are securities offerings and require full compliance with such regs. They're going after people hard on these now.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also the head of the SEC just came out and said all ICOs are securities offerings and require full compliance with such regs. They're going after people hard on these now.

:rip:

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's hilarious. I've been warning people I've met involved in this stuff for years that at some point the Feds would come calling, because that's what they do.
If your business model is "I can beat the Feds", you've already lost so hard. You just don't know it yet.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
So my company just bid on servicing a couple of bitcoin ATMs. That was fun trying to explain what bitcoin was.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Hexyflexy posted:

That's hilarious. I've been warning people I've met involved in this stuff for years that at some point the Feds would come calling, because that's what they do.
If your business model is "I can beat the Feds", you've already lost so hard. You just don't know it yet.

https://twitter.com/baxbooksdeux/status/938972060457558016

Flikken posted:

So my company just bid on servicing a couple of bitcoin ATMs. That was fun trying to explain what bitcoin was.

A Ponzi scheme with more math.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Federal government (of any country) is gonna get their share if they want it. Can't avoid taxes (unless you're rich and not stupid)

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Moving on from imaginary money, there's been a big push from women accusing Trump for accountability and the White House wants to go back to the moon.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

im still looking forward to hearing about people killing themselves over the eventual bitcoin collapse

whats going to make it even funnier is if people blame Trump when the SEC pops the bubble by eliminating the fraud propping this poo poo up

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

im still looking forward to hearing about people killing themselves over the eventual bitcoin collapse

Which comes first, that or Star Citizen getting canceled?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

I more or less said that, and people used it to buy drugs off of the internet. The concept o a bitcoin ATM did make me laugh.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Which comes first, that or Star Citizen getting canceled?

both will continue to sucker in idiots until they get regulated, and bitcoin is more likely to get regulated at this point.

Though the US taking a swing at loot crate gambling and kickstarted vaporware bullshit would own incredibly hard

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/940371934746959873

god bless the usa

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

lightpole posted:

Moving on from imaginary money, there's been a big push from women accusing Trump for accountability and the White House wants to go back to the moon.

I'm ok with going back to the moon. I would legitimately consider it a net positive which given this administration is saying a lot

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

I'm ok with going back to the moon. I would legitimately consider it a net positive which given this administration is saying a lot

Obama wants to go to Mars so of course trump says go back to the moon and will shelf any progress towards Mars in the process so its stupid just like trump

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

A miner I know living in an unmetered rental space with electricity included is now pullinlg about $800/mo in raw fuckin' energy and planning to expand to go up to north of $1,300/mo in mining consumed electricty. I can only imagine what the space looks like, given that he's pretty tech/engineering savvy, but also has ducting and poo poo to cycle winter air in and out of the space.

RIP when spring hits.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Gobbeldygook posted:

If you want detailed explanations of why everything about Bitcoin is bad, buy a copy of goon divabot's book.

https://www.amazon.com/Attack-50-Foot-Blockchain-Contracts-ebook/dp/B073CPP581

(Its a good book)

DaNerd posted:

Yes. Within the decade (early 2020s) it is expected to double humanity's electricity usage to compute the blockchain.

Only if people think its profitable

Instead it will crash soon, and tens of thousands of used video cards will pop up on ebay for all of your SLI gaming needs for a while.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

mlmp08 posted:

A miner I know living in an unmetered rental space with electricity included is now pullinlg about $800/mo in raw fuckin' energy and planning to expand to go up to north of $1,300/mo in mining consumed electricty. I can only imagine what the space looks like, given that he's pretty tech/engineering savvy, but also has ducting and poo poo to cycle winter air in and out of the space.

RIP when spring hits.

Nothing that can't be solved by consuming more energy. Turns out throwing resources at a problem isn't a terrible approach when you're not paying the bill.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I always think about the amount of weird fuckups that happened in a chain that led us to Trump.

An NYT guy did the same thing for how we got to where we are with Roy Moore. Click through, it's a really neat/quick read about how badly Republicans hosed themselves and are continuing to do so.

https://twitter.com/alexburnsNYT/status/940374724441526272

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

facialimpediment posted:

I always think about the amount of weird fuckups that happened in a chain that led us to Trump.

An NYT guy did the same thing for how we got to where we are with Roy Moore. Click through, it's a really neat/quick read about how badly Republicans hosed themselves and are continuing to do so.

https://twitter.com/alexburnsNYT/status/940374724441526272

I hope you're right and this all leads to a bad beating for the GOP but honestly, until they start losing meaningful seats in large swathes...

Voter suppression is going to be a real concern going into 2018.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

mods please permaban people that link to long form twitter posts

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Roy Moore will win.

i'm willing to bet $10 to a charity of someone's choosing that moore wins.

(i'll happily pay $10 for him to lose).

any takers?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

So the goon census on Bitcoin has always been that a crash is imminent, ever since it started. But it just seems to go up and up?

I don't understand it though. How are people exchanging Bitcoin for real money to "cash out"? I asked someone on Facebook and they claimed they use paypal. But I thought paypal was very anti-Bitcoin? The whole thing is really confusing.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

GoGoGadget posted:

So the goon census on Bitcoin has always been that a crash is imminent, ever since it started. But it just seems to go up and up?

I don't understand it though. How are people exchanging Bitcoin for real money to "cash out"? I asked someone on Facebook and they claimed they use paypal. But I thought paypal was very anti-Bitcoin? The whole thing is really confusing.

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's part of how bitfinex continues to pump the price. For those not familiar, a wash trade is where someone buys their own sell order. This is not allowed on any regulated exchange for obvious reasons. The new bitcoin futures products outline a shitload of different ways that bitcoin exchanges can commit fraud to manipulate the price.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

GoGoGadget posted:

It has crashed spectacularly multiple times before.

The methods for cashing out now exist but are generally limited in scope and nowhere near $15k per. Best way to cash out has always been giftcards. Also basically anyone trying to cash out a non-trivial amount tanks the price by thousands in a flash.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Wasn't the time to buy like >5 years ago and not right loving now when it's over $16k?

I'm joking it was never the right time

It crashed like 30% a few days ago. I think it's already back up into record territory.

bengy81 posted:

I see so many “experts” on twitter talking about how it’s the future, but nobody can explain how you use it legally.
I’m not wrong in assuming that it’s a bad currency when you have to pay a big transaction fee and you can’t even buy a pizza with it?

There is a pizza place in SLC that takes bitcoin. Or at least they did.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 12, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Godholio posted:

It crashed like 30% a few days ago. I think it's already back up into record territory.

It crashed because of a very minor market order selloff. There is zero depth to bitcoin at the current price.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

You won't catch me linking THREAD: THREAD: FW: FW: YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT TRUMP DID IMPEACHMENT IS NEAR poo poo that's all over Liberal Twittertm.

I linked that one because it beats filling a post with FIVE separate fuckups that Republican Leadership did that turned the Alabama race even remotely competitive. Generic Republican would win this race by like 20% easy. I think Moore wins in a squeaker, but it should have never even have been close except for fuckups by the Governor, McConnell, and primary voters.

And a Choose Your Own Adventure format reminded me of my childhood :shobon:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

That Works posted:

I hope you're right and this all leads to a bad beating for the GOP but honestly, until they start losing meaningful seats in large swathes...

Voter suppression is going to be a real concern going into 2018.

They lost at least 15 seats in Virginia, along with getting stomped in the governor's race. They've lost previously-considered-safe seats in noted liberal bastions such as Oklahoma, Iowa, and Upstate New York. The fact that Jones may even have a shot at beating Moore should be making Republicans in purple and blue states poo poo their pants.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

You won't catch me linking THREAD: THREAD: FW: FW: YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT TRUMP DID IMPEACHMENT IS NEAR poo poo that's all over Liberal Twittertm.

I linked that one because it beats filling a post with FIVE separate fuckups that Republican Leadership did that turned the Alabama race even remotely competitive. Generic Republican would win this race by like 20% easy. I think Moore wins in a squeaker, but it should have never even have been close except for fuckups by the Governor, McConnell, and primary voters.

And a Choose Your Own Adventure format reminded me of my childhood :shobon:

I just don't get why people tell a story by creating 20 twitter posts when they can put text on a website and link it. just make a good doc

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

GoGoGadget posted:

There are services that you can cash out and they will credit your paypal account. It's sketchy as poo poo and you have to give them your SSN and a scan of your government ID. Or you can use it to buy giftcards and avoid all of that, but that doesn't really help you unless you're looking to spend that money immediately.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

We decided like a year ago to post the first of the tweet storm rather then link dozens of tweets in one post though?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Thwomp posted:

I need that clip of Steve Carell desperately struggling to understand derivatives from The Big Short.

Edit: there we are except replace CDO with Bitcoin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A25EUhZGBws

The book was also really good. True story- Steve Eisman really did meet with this person and shorted the gently caress out of him afterwards out of disgust.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

We decided like a year ago to post the first of the tweet storm rather then link dozens of tweets in one post though?

If you're going to link to #1 out of 45 loving tweets it seems like it would be polite to just post a text summary or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

The book was also really good. True story- Steve Eisman really did meet with this person and shorted the gently caress out of him afterwards out of disgust.

Not really. He shorted his products. The CDO managers all got rich anyway; as he says they assumed no risk.

• Locked thread