Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

was wondering why the -5V line on the NAC PSU wasn't working, opened it to find:

this thing is only rated at 100mA. replaced with another 78L05 and it's working but thinking about replacing it with a 7805 because I guarantee this poo poo will happen again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
So I grabbed some cheap SNES RGB SCART cables to have on hand for testing, and I plugged in my SNES through an SCART-HDMI converter to an LCD monitor. The colors are way brighter, and the image is really sharp, but all the sprites look like pixellated garbage now. Before I go spending money on better cables is this just what SNES RGB looks like? Or does it get way better with higher quality RGB cables?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Without knowing which cable you grabbed, I'll say that SCART is just a connector type and does not imply RGB. You can pass composite (yellow cable) over SCART, and it'll have the rainbow effect you see in the "X"s at the top of the screen.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

RZA Encryption posted:

Without knowing which cable you grabbed, I'll say that SCART is just a connector type and does not imply RGB. You can pass composite (yellow cable) over SCART, and it'll have the rainbow effect you see in the "X"s at the top of the screen.

It was marketed as an RGB cable at least. It was in the $10 range, so it's very possible it was bullshit.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

I tried a different SNES, and it actually looks way better. Is this a fixable issue, like replacing the caps? Or do I just have a bad chip revision on the original one?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

mangler103 posted:

I plugged in my SNES through an SCART-HDMI converter to an LCD monitor.

This is your problem, you need an upscaler. You're relying on whatever lovely scaling is in your monitor and it's making your poo poo look like poo poo

e: the picture quality can vary with SNES models but its never going to look that great with no processing, will probably have some input lag too

e2: wait maybe the really bad SNES is the model with no RGB and it's passing composite instead, take a pic of your system and model sticker

d0s fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 12, 2017

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

d0s posted:

This is your problem, you need an upscaler. You're relying on whatever lovely scaling is in your monitor and it's making your poo poo look like poo poo

e: the picture quality can vary with SNES models but its never going to look that great with no processing, will probably have some input lag too

e2: wait maybe the really bad SNES is the model with no RGB and it's passing composite instead, take a pic of your system and model sticker

The model number on the one I'm currently using is:

Not totally sure on the last number. It's smudged out.

EDIT: Also, the SCART->HDMI says it has an upscaler, but I'm not sure how good it is.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

HEYO! Thread, long time no see.

I need a recommendation for a PSX emulator to play on WIndows 10. I just got into the mood for some FF7,

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

mangler103 posted:

The model number on the one I'm currently using is:

Not totally sure on the last number. It's smudged out.

EDIT: Also, the SCART->HDMI says it has an upscaler, but I'm not sure how good it is.

that looks like a serial number not a model number. is the bad looking one a new model or old model?

old on the left, new on the right:

if it's a new model it's probably certain that it's just not an RGB capable unit and needs to be modded. if it's an old model then idk

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

mangler103 posted:

So I grabbed some cheap SNES RGB SCART cables to have on hand for testing, and I plugged in my SNES through an SCART-HDMI converter to an LCD monitor. The colors are way brighter, and the image is really sharp, but all the sprites look like pixellated garbage now. Before I go spending money on better cables is this just what SNES RGB looks like? Or does it get way better with higher quality RGB cables?

That does look more like a composite video signal being upscaled, especially with the rainbows in the "x"s for the extra lives, dragon coins, and normal coin indicators. Also, the dithering pattern in the right of the blue mountain in the bottom center. The text in the black box is what is kind of throwing me with how clean it looks, but considering how basic and literally B&W it is, it may not be as readily present in the composite signal, or it may more readily clean up through the scaler.

I think your answer to d0s question above about the model(s) of SNES you've tried would in turn provide the most obvious answer to this scenario.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Kthulhu5000 posted:

That does look more like a composite video signal being upscaled, especially with the rainbows in the "x"s for the extra lives, dragon coins, and normal coin indicators. Also, the dithering pattern in the right of the blue mountain in the bottom center. The text in the black box is what is kind of throwing me with how clean it looks, but considering how basic and literally B&W it is, it may not be as readily present in the composite signal, or it may more readily clean up through the scaler.

I think your answer to d0s question above about the model(s) of SNES you've tried would in turn provide the most obvious answer to this scenario.

Ok, the original snes that the image came from is in fact a 1CHIP-01(I opened the system), which I didn't even realize I had. So I think it's probably the cable since I understand the 1CHIP is supposed to have the best picture quality.

EDIT: Yeah, it's the boxy one. I tried an SNES Mini I have, and produced the same results as the 1CHIP-01

mangler103 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 12, 2017

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

mangler103 posted:

Ok, the original snes that the image came from is in fact a 1CHIP-01(I opened the system), which I didn't even realize I had. So I think it's probably the cable since I understand the 1CHIP is supposed to have the best picture quality.

EDIT: Yeah, it's the boxy one. I tried an SNES Mini I have, and produced the same results as the 1CHIP-01

Well then you know it's just composite because the snes mini can't do rgb without a mod.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

Well then you know it's just composite because the snes mini can't do rgb without a mod.

Yeah, lovely cables seemed like the most likely cause. But it's good to know that I have a 1CHIP. I'll start by investing in some good cables.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

mangler103 posted:

Yeah, lovely cables seemed like the most likely cause. But it's good to know that I have a 1CHIP. I'll start by investing in some good cables.

dude you're not getting what people are saying. your snes can not display RGB. the cables don't matter.

e: wait, are you saying that you're going to mod it and get new cables because if so sorry for misunderstanding, thought you were blaming the cable

d0s fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 12, 2017

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

BigRed0427 posted:

I need a recommendation for a PSX emulator to play on WIndows 10. I just got into the mood for some FF7,

I'm using ePSXe (on Windows 10, seems to work fine) but I swear I heard there was something recent that's better and forgot about it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Think I made a mistake of replaying Chrono Trigger using a romhack? For most part the Chrono Trigger+ seems like a good version, fixing bugs, adding in the two missing tracks in good spots, re balancing level gain and stat gains so the game doesn't get super easy at a point, but that all changed until I got to Lavos. I'm at level 70 on the first playthrough and Lavos on his starting attack does 700 damage to everyone, which is why way too high. I thought it might just been fighting him in the dark ages since he always suppose to hit super hard in the Ocean Palace fight. Had to leave the Black Omen due to that reasoning, but the bucket had the same version of Lavos.

Next figured I just skip that fight if it bugged and go to the first core fight...no his core still does crazy high damage, as he kills Crono immediately on his first attack. I can't even heal and setup haste and protect before another person dies. The readme didn't say anything about changing Lavos to be near impossible. I hope it not some bullshit thing like "you need to beat the ruin dungeon we re-added to weakened Lavos".

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Manky posted:

I'm using ePSXe (on Windows 10, seems to work fine) but I swear I heard there was something recent that's better and forgot about it.

Mednafen contains a better PlayStation 1 emulator core, but some people don't like it because ePSXe allows them to add all sorts of wacky plugin/video effect/etc things that don't work with Mednafen.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

d0s posted:

dude you're not getting what people are saying. your snes can not display RGB. the cables don't matter.

e: wait, are you saying that you're going to mod it and get new cables because if so sorry for misunderstanding, thought you were blaming the cable

Yeah, there are multiple snes involved here. The SNES mini can't do RGB without a mod, but as far as I can see, the original 1CHIP-01 should be able to. I'm seeing some stuff on RetroRGB that says it produces a really bright RGB signal, so I'll solder some resistors in and get some better cables and hopefully that will fix it.

Thanks for all the help troubleshooting.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

There’s a guy on AtariAge who’s selling Jaguar to Multi A/V converters built into N64 RF adapter shells since the official composite cable adapter is impossible to find. My Jag has never looked better now that I can plug it into my PVM.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

mangler103 posted:

Yeah, there are multiple snes involved here. The SNES mini can't do RGB without a mod, but as far as I can see, the original 1CHIP-01 should be able to. I'm seeing some stuff on RetroRGB that says it produces a really bright RGB signal, so I'll solder some resistors in and get some better cables and hopefully that will fix it.

It just occurred to me that you should be able to inspect the SCART cable you've got by unscrewing the knob at the base of the SCART connector end. Then you should be able to see if the cable is even wired up for RGB by comparing what's soldered to the connector with what should be there according to a SCART pinout.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Luigi Thirty posted:

There’s a guy on AtariAge who’s selling Jaguar to Multi A/V converters built into N64 RF adapter shells since the official composite cable adapter is impossible to find. My Jag has never looked better now that I can plug it into my PVM.

Perhaps of interest to other Jaguar owners, if not yourself:

https://coolnovelties.co.uk/coolnovelties/18-atari-jaguar-video-cables

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

mangler103 posted:

I would also say that your scart-hdmi scaler is a part of the problem, the cheap scalers will never make the image look as good as a CRT/PVM or using a premium scaler like OSSC or Framemeister.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I got my cheapo Xbox component cable, and while the image quality is a major upgrade over 480i, the Framemeister doesn't seem to like this cable. It sometimes drops sync completely (which cost me a run in OutRun 2 :argh:) when auto sync is on, and when it's off I still see some glitches from time to time. For some reason, manually adjusting the sync level seems to be disabled when using component on the Framemeister. PS2 over component works absolutely fine, so it's either the cable or the Xbox that is causing issues.

I'd try the component input on my TV if it had one. Samsung apparently figured that if I'm going to buy a 4K screen, I don't need any inputs besides HDMI (which, to be fair, is probably the case for most people).

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Kthulhu5000 posted:

It just occurred to me that you should be able to inspect the SCART cable you've got by unscrewing the knob at the base of the SCART connector end. Then you should be able to see if the cable is even wired up for RGB by comparing what's soldered to the connector with what should be there according to a SCART pinout.

I did this last night and based on my limited knowledge of SCART and research it seemed to be right based on the diagrams on this page: http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/gamescart/gamescart.htm. At least as much as I could see. Of course, I have no idea what's connected on the multi-out end of the cable.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fishmech posted:

Mednafen contains a better PlayStation 1 emulator core, but some people don't like it because ePSXe allows them to add all sorts of wacky plugin/video effect/etc things that don't work with Mednafen.

Yeah I use BizHawk which uses Mednafen's PS1 core and it's worked great for any game I've tried

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

azurite posted:

It was literally missing ground.
That's bad. Maybe you just got a dud, it would seem odd to have 100 positive reviews if literally none of them worked.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Perhaps of interest to other Jaguar owners, if not yourself:

https://coolnovelties.co.uk/coolnovelties/18-atari-jaguar-video-cables

Huh, I didn’t think anyone manufactured them anymore. The Jaguar end plugs into an edge connector on the PCB so it’s not like you can just wire up a DIN connector.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I've been doing some more testing on the Xbox and the cheap component cable and for whatever reason the Framemeister only seems to drop the sync in some games. I haven't tried every game I own, but Burnout and Scarface: The World is Yours are working totally fine. I played each of them for about 20 minutes and had no sync issues, whereas Halo and especially OutRun 2 were more temperamental. :psyduck:

Well, at least I've established that the softmod works as it should and higher resolutions are now supported even on PAL games (although I'm not entirely sure if Scarface, the only 720p-enabled Xbox game I own, was actually running at 720p instead of 480p because it kinda looks like poo poo either way), so maybe at some point I'll spring for a better cable which hopefully won't have any problems like this. Or maybe I could just drag my older TV with the component input back to the living room, and hook the Xbox up to that.

edit: Oh, now Burnout had the same issue as well. Only once, though.

e2: I plugged the Xbox into the older TV, and apparently the games are still running at 480i. Huh, that's odd. 480p, 720p and 1080i definitely are enabled in the video options menu, maybe they only work with NTSC games? I thought my games were running at 480p at the very least because they looked clearer and sharper than before, but guess not.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 12, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

TeaJay posted:

I would also say that your scart-hdmi scaler is a part of the problem, the cheap scalers will never make the image look as good as a CRT/PVM or using a premium scaler like OSSC or Framemeister.

yeah this is definitely true. it's not really a simple technology that can be replicated cheaply by china (yet)

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

BigRed0427 posted:

Both BizHawk and RetroArch use Mednafen cores so look into that.

Maybe also consider the steam version? It's an enhanced port of the old PC version. Reviews don't seem to indicate a complete dumpster fire and you'd be properly supporting SE.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/39140/FINAL_FANTASY_VII/

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

d0s posted:

yeah this is definitely true. it's not really a simple technology that can be replicated cheaply by china (yet)

I'm not quite ready to spend the money on the OSSC, but I'm getting close.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
https://twitter.com/necrosofty/status/940700508649484288

video games are fuckin cool

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Okay then, so all you need to do to force 480p and higher resolutions on PAL Xbox games is install an app that lets you switch between the PAL and NTSC EEPROMs. That was easy, wish I had looked it up earlier. :downs:

Also, OutRun 2 looks gorgeous in 480p. I should pick up OutRun 2006 while the PAL Xbox copies are still affordable, the NTSC version is extremely :retrogames: for some reason.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 13, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

it's awesome that they did something like this (and it got found so many years later) but it's a shame the game seems really not good :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARcJkQ2eM6Y

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

d0s posted:

it's awesome that they did something like this (and it got found so many years later) but it's a shame the game seems really not good :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARcJkQ2eM6Y

Well let's be honest here, an actually-good game wouldn't have been hidden like this.

I think it's not unlike how games tend to start more strongly than they finish, and don't have very good "multiple paths" options, because it doesn't make sense to distribute significant resources into something most people won't see (because they only play through the game once and likely won't even do that much, putting the game down forever after a few hours).

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

univbee posted:

Well let's be honest here, an actually-good game wouldn't have been hidden like this.

I think it's not unlike how games tend to start more strongly than they finish, and don't have very good "multiple paths" options, because it doesn't make sense to distribute significant resources into something most people won't see (because they only play through the game once and likely won't even do that much, putting the game down forever after a few hours).

yeah it's true I just got excited for some lost great PCE shooter for a second

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

On that note, is this the most substantive completely-hidden thing ever? I know Animal Crossing on Gamecube had those hidden NES games in the code (accessible via Action Replay) but, to be fair, you could play those on an actual NES.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Zero Divide, a bad early PS1 3D fighting game, had Tiny Phalanx on it if you held a certain button combination on player 2 while the game was loading. I never bothered to play through it all the way so I'm sure it's just a bite sized version of Phalanx based on the name, but it's what this recent thing reminded me of.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also my favorite cheat code would probably be the one found on... I think it's the monster disc of the Arc the Lad collection?

Anyway when you enter it takes you to the filesystem of the disc you're on, and you can change discs to any other PS1 game and explore the file system. I know the Tips & Tricks I found this in would point out you could use it to go outside the boundaries in Suikoden II, or use it to view cutscenes in games like Blasto or Xenogears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

please don't diss zero divide