Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Koalas March posted:

wait, where are the Pawn leaks?

edit: according The Pawn he was trolling?

This is called obvious sarcasm.

But yes, ViewerAnon is confirming everything and with more detail to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Which is weird, because this seems to imply he hasn't even seen it yet, unless he can time travel. This is loving bonkers.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Which is weird, because this seems to imply he hasn't even seen it yet, unless he can time travel. This is loving bonkers.

What in the world

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
ViewerAnon has a good track record of spoilers. I believe his posts.

If he’s right, then Luke ded. He ded. And Snoke is ded.

Kylo becomes the Supreme Leader.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

No Knights of Ren on Ach-To either.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?
I had a feeling that might happen.

If what they said about him projecting via the force was accurate they still have an out to pop him back in again if they want to. Not holding my breath on it though.

I always liked the Jedi aspect of Star Wars. With them seemingly doing away with the Jedi it seems like they are shooting more toward a "no lightsabers" model. Which is fine, but it seems like if you try to pull all the force stuff out of Star Wars all you get is generic sci-fi but with stormtroopers.

I could be wrong, but, frankly, I am just wondering if we see the green lightsaber again, considering all of the "Obi-wan said 'this weapon is your life'. We agree and we aren't one to lose track of lightsabers." Seems like they did pretty well on obfuscating things.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
If all this is true, it’s amazing what a total waste of time it makes all the mystery bullshit in TFA.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Zoran posted:

If all this is true, it’s amazing what a total waste of time it makes all the mystery bullshit in TFA.

It’s great.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

The best entertainment is that subreddit, who've waited 2 years for Star Wars leaks and they've finally got some and now don't want to believe it

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

i hope those dress up momos in the 69th fleet all cry when luke dies

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Lionel Richie posted:

The best entertainment is that subreddit, who've waited 2 years for Star Wars leaks and they've finally got some and now don't want to believe it

"That's not true! That's impossible!"

"Search your feelings, you know it to be true."

Poetry, rhymes, etc.

edit: There's apparently not a single lightsaber duel in the film.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 12, 2017

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
That's not the same as saying lightsabers aren't used in battle though.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Danger posted:

It’s great.

Super :laffo: in particular at every single bit of foreshadowing and deliberate obfuscation surrounding Rey, her parentage, and especially her connection to Luke.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
also the idea of kylo being beyond help and redemption is a better direction than having a murderous school shooter type be "aw shucks, he's a good boy in the end." him offing snoke also works very well at saying, "no, he is not being influenced any more, this is who he is."

plus, he's good at killing his dads.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

quote:

ViewerAnon • 24m
I said there's no actual lightsaber fight. Jenny Nicholson said the movie has her favorite one in the series.

I tend to think she's talking about the Kylo/Luke scene, where Luke has a blue lightsaber. Kylo swings at him but Luke ducks under it. There's some chat, then Kylo swipes at Luke but his saber goes through him, revealing he's a projection.

quote:

ViewerAnon• 15m
Because Luke's a total bad-rear end during it, and the moments around it. When Luke exits the base (shot in the awesome Western-type way, all silhouette) to face the First Order, Kylo orders every gun fired on Luke.

They do. They pound the spot with Luke for a good thirty seconds. Then Luke takes a step forward, looks at Kylo, and brushes something off his shoulder in a total "That all ya got?" moment.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

good lord

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Zoran posted:

Super :laffo: in particular at every single bit of foreshadowing and deliberate obfuscation surrounding Rey, her parentage, and especially her connection to Luke.

Everything we learn about her parents in TLJ seems to come from a vision that Kylo receives, so he could easily be lying or misinterpreting what he saw. There’s also some implication that Snoke is influencing his visions in some way, so I feel like there’s enough of an out if JJ wanted to go back to the seemingly obvious Skywalker connection.

I don’t care about her parentage either way, I’m just saying.

Luke’s death sounds way better in proper detail.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

Zoran posted:

its almost like JJ was really good at making mysteries with no satisfying resolution in mind.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

quote:

Luke is revealed to be on Ahch-To. He slumps, exhausted, but then he sits up again. He looks at the sun(s) burning into him and he cries - it's a warm moment, like he's truly been reunited with the Force. A cloud passes across the sun and Luke fades away.

I really thought it was beautiful.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fuckin' lol if he just astral projects and then dies. I guess I'll have to see it to believe it but that just seems really dumb

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Milky Moor posted:

Yes, apparently. That's what I mean by Disney just deliberately throwing out noise to fool people. I mean, is it that much of a stretch when movies like Rogue One had things like Jyn facing down the TIE Fighter?

So, someone says, 'the Knights of Ren don't appear and Kylo never shows up on that planet' and people immediately go 'But Adam Driver was on set there so you're obviously lying'. Same thing with Yoda and the children's book.

The TIE vs Jyn thing was cut due to reshoots tho

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Phi230 posted:

The TIE vs Jyn thing was cut due to reshoots tho

Nope.

quote:

If you were wondering how the scene would have played out pre-reshoots, director Gareth Edwards has the answer for you: it wouldn’t, as it was only ever intended to appear in the trailers.

“That’s going to have to remain a mystery,” Edwards tells EW. “It was something the marketing team fell in love with. We knew it would not be in the film. It’s one of those things where all the trailers are put together way before the film comes out. It wasn’t a specific part of the story.”

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
That Rey is coming from a random family, instead of "Star Wars nobility" is great, all the stuff, where everything leads back to the Skywalkers made the universe feel small.

The issue I have with this - and TFA before - is that it basically shits all over the old heroes. They all are apparently ineffective fuckups, who managed to create nothing lasting in 30 years, except the hosed up Bad Boy Kylo Ren, the ultimate evil, who destroys them all. A nihilistic take on how your victories turn into dust through the daily grind of life and all that remains are the evils you created with your good intentions. Which is not really something I come to Star Wars for. At least with Luke dead and Leia gone in the next movie we can finally put the biggest gently caress-up family of the galaxy to rest and focus on how the new heroes ruin everything as setup for trilogy III.

Decius fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 12, 2017

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Decius posted:

That Rey is coming from a random family, instead of "Star Wars nobility" is great, all the stuff, where everything leads back to the Skywalkers made the universe feel small.

The issue I have with this - and TFA before - is that it basically shits all over the old heroes. They all are apparently ineffective fuckups, who managed to create nothing lasting in 30 years, except the hosed up Bad Boy Kylo Ren, the ultimate evil, who destroys them all. A nihilistic take on how your victories turn into dust through the daily grind of life and all that remains are the evils you created with your good intentions. Which is not really something I come to Star Wars for. At least with Luke dead and Leia gone in the next movie we can finally put the biggest gently caress-up family of the galaxy to rest and focus on how the new heroes ruin everything as setup for trilogy III.

Babyboomers.txt

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Like what is this, taking Obi-Wan's 'If you shall strike me down...' statement as exceedingly literal? It's like something out of the EU.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And it's very possible the Luke dies/Leia lives spoilers are true, but that just means it's gonna be... awkward tying that into Episode 9.

"Leia died on the way back to her home planet."

e: That's super dumb if Luke's force-ghost projection dying kills him.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

Like what is this, taking Obi-Wan's 'If you shall strike me down...' statement as exceedingly literal? It's like something out of the EU.

At least with the EU we might have got the Valley of the Jedi and Kyle Katarn. Would have been a cool reveal if that Actchoo held a wellspring of The Force that magnified a user's power at the cost of his exhaustion/stamina. Luke has been guardian to it the entire time instead of being someone so ashamed of himself he hides on a spit of land.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Jiro posted:

At least with the EU we might have got the Valley of the Jedi and Kyle Katarn. Would have been a cool reveal if that Actchoo held a wellspring of The Force that magnified a user's power at the cost of his exhaustion/stamina. Luke has been guardian to it the entire time instead of being someone so ashamed of himself he hides on a spit of land.

That sounds awful.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Danger posted:

That sounds awful.

Completely! :thumbsup: Honestly I'm just curious if Luke actually dies because, it just doesn't sit well with me. Probably a mixture of childhood feelings, and as an adult you always want things to work out one way or another. And here you have in a franchise about good space wizards vs bad space wizards and awesome space battles, you're getting some harsh reality put in there.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 12, 2017

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SublimeDelusions posted:

I always liked the Jedi aspect of Star Wars. With them seemingly doing away with the Jedi it seems like they are shooting more toward a "no lightsabers" model. Which is fine, but it seems like if you try to pull all the force stuff out of Star Wars all you get is generic sci-fi but with stormtroopers.
Pretty much. I don't think the market for that is nearly as large as they might think, but who knows.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

"Rey does not find any Kyber crystals on Ach-To."

"THEN EXPLAIN THE LEAKED LEGO SET YOU FAKER"

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Mystery boxes are just absolute poo poo so if this film undermines them thats a big plus

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
When does the review embargo lift?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Gonz posted:

ViewerAnon has a good track record of spoilers. I believe his posts.

If he’s right, then Luke ded. He ded. And Snoke is ded.

Kylo becomes the Supreme Leader.

i read somewhere that snoke was basically some darth nihalus type dark side being that was looking for hosts and his current body was dying. idk.

Jiro posted:

Completely! :thumbsup: Honestly I'm just curious if Luke actually dies because, it just doesn't sit well with me. Probably a mixture of childhood feelings, and as an adult you always want things to work out one way or another. And here you have in a franchise about good space wizards vs bad space wizards and awesome space battles, you're getting some harsh reality put in there.

i am ok if he does, just make it work and make sense. not just "lol shock value".

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

just make it work and make sense. not just "lol shock value".

Yeah this pretty much. Given Rian Johnson's past efforts he doesn't come across as someone that would do it just for shock value. Plus higher ups at Disney liked what he was doing enough that they gave him three more movies/toys/costumes/books/video games for them to make bank off of.

What makes me now morbidly curious is what Abrams will now do after all of this washes over. Since he started this whole thing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jiro posted:

Yeah this pretty much. Given Rian Johnson's past efforts he doesn't come across as someone that would do it just for shock value. Plus higher ups at Disney liked what he was doing enough that they gave him three more movies/toys/costumes/books/video games for them to make bank off of.

What makes me now morbidly curious is what Abrams will now do after all of this washes over. Since he started this whole thing.

if he dies, he dies. i am ok with that. it sucks, but as long as they make it pay off i am fine. and thats if the leaks are true. personaly i like the fact that kylo is going full evil. i don't want a redemption arc for him.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

what if they recast leia with a smockin hot bikini babe, just an idea

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

if he dies, he dies. i am ok with that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

pretty much. i fully expect them to either here or in the next one. the main three are getting up there in age. han is dead, Carrie fisher is dead, so i guess they will poochey her. that just leaves luke. id like to see him survive, maybe regain his faith at least before the end of 9, but idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Harrow posted:

Honestly, Rey not having some kind of important heritage is a plus to me.

Agreed, but I'm also having flashbacks to The Legend of Korra, so I wont be surprised if we find out her parents were actually super special in Episode 9.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so i guess they will poochey her

They can't, her home planet got blown up.

• Locked thread