Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yeah I thought Andy Dick was the destroyer of spouses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I liked Parks and Recreation overall, but April and Tom (and Jean Ralphio) are super unlikable.
They're horrible caricatures and nobody in real life would be able to stand/work with them.

It rubbed me the wrong way when the show is trying to say "Hey, they're actually good people" when the evidence shows that they're the absolute worst.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jean Ralphio would steal a wallet from the elderly but all the others are good people

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
talking of JK Simmons, his monologue in episode 2 of No Activity is phenomenal.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PriorMarcus posted:

Okay. I'll bite... go on.

Patton Oswalt’s wife of 10 years unexpectedly died in her sleep. Just over a year later, he remarried. Idiots online don’t understand that grief and coping following the death of loved one works differently for different people and think that the only explanation for him “moving on so quickly” is that he must have killed his previous wife so he could marry his current one.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 11, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

talking of JK Simmons, his monologue in episode 2 of No Activity is phenomenal.

Dude yes this was so great

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

lelandjs posted:

Patton Oswalt’s wife of 10 years unexpectedly died in her sleep. Just over a year later, he remarried. Idiots online don’t understand that grief and coping following he death of loved one works differently for different people and think that the only explanation for him “moving on so quickly” is that he must have killed his previous wife so he could marry his current one.

Well and also he doesn't agree with their politics so he must be a murderer.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you want to be real sad he talks about his wife's death and the aftermath in his latest comedy special.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

lelandjs posted:

Patton Oswalt’s wife of 10 years unexpectedly died in her sleep. Just over a year later, he remarried. Idiots online don’t understand that grief and coping following the death of loved one works differently for different people and think that the only explanation for him “moving on so quickly” is that he must have killed his previous wife so he could marry his current one.

It's so totally bogus. I killed his wife so I could marry my current one.

What? Drunken bets are a hell of a thing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

HorseRenoir posted:

Watching Star Trek Discovery to see how it compares to The Orville and man is this show such a tedious drag. I'm three episodes in and I think I count the moments any character has smiled or had any mood other than contempt/annoyance on one hand

The first two episodes (the pilot) are hot trash and really should have been scrapped because it rapidly picks up after that.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

IRQ posted:

The first two episodes (the pilot) are hot trash and really should have been scrapped because it rapidly picks up after that.

As someone said before the show should have started with episode 3 as the pilot. The information in the first 2 episodes could have been told in flashbacks as the season progress or in a flashback episode. That said despite the missteps I thought Discovery was good (but not as good as something like The Expanse), and I will continue watching when it comes back.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 11, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nothing has crushed me as a fan as much as listening to Patton talk about the loss of his wife. And then the league of shitheels started trashing him when he and Meredith got together. loving hell, Patton is the best and everyone loves him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I heard his Netflix special was really good but I'm just not into the "exploring grief" genre these days.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

lelandjs posted:

Oh wow. That's creepy even for the internet. I don't know if me being surprised by it is a good thing that I'm not too far gone into the void or just another step into the hole.

I look forward to watching him be a magical unicorn imaginary friend for a drunk psychopath.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I heard his Netflix special was really good but I'm just not into the "exploring grief" genre these days.

It is good. There's plenty of non-wife stuff - you could watch all the Trump stuff at the beginning and then turn off when he starts talking about his wife.

I guess Oswalt getting remarried so early is sorta weird, but hell, none of us know poo poo about the situation, and the dude has earned massive amounts of goodwill.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Escobarbarian posted:

It is good. There's plenty of non-wife stuff - you could watch all the Trump stuff at the beginning and then turn off when he starts talking about his wife.

When’s the wife stuff start? I’m actually the opposite; not interested in his (or anyone’s) Trump routine, definitely want to see him talk about his wife.

...which is its own kind of creepy, but hey, at least I’m not mad about him not wallowing in a pit of despair for 20 years.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t remember exactly, maybe just before halfway?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You could just watch the whole stand up set like it was meant to be seen and not be a baby.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It's fairly common for widowers to remarry pretty quickly after their wife's death. It's a recognised pattern, so if it's weird, it's a weird social phenomenon, not weird just for Patton.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I remember seeing a lot of people claiming Oswalt killed his wife long before he got remarried. I think it was happening within days of the announcement that she died. It's also the same people that talk about 9/11 inside jobs and crisis actors.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Escobarbarian posted:

I guess Oswalt getting remarried so early is sorta weird, but hell, none of us know poo poo about the situation, and the dude has earned massive amounts of goodwill.

The Trump stuff is the loving worst part of the special. Either watch it for his wife stuff or don't watch it at all, because holy poo poo is his Trump material loving bad

Like jesus christ is his Trump stuff the loving pits.

ed: Just to be clear, his material on his wife is the focus of the special, and all of it is loving incredible, it just happens to be the final 45 minutes of a 60 minute special that opens with 15 minutes of the coldest of takes on how much Trump sucks. Watch the whole thing, but unless you want to watch a widower speak very frankly (and humanely) about his dead wife don't watch the special.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 11, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn’t go that far but it’s definitely p. weaksauce

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

He uses the word "cheeto" to describe Trump and gets a fuckin' standing o for it

That happens

It's literally a Larry the Cable Guy set but for blue states level of "comedy"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

You could just watch the whole stand up set like it was meant to be seen and not be a baby.

Oswalt's "pee pee doo doo he is a bad president" segments about Bush were consistently the weakest material on his old albums and I somehow you t he's going to do better about someone even more beyond parody and run into the ground. Though it might be better than that awful crusade against "fake nerds" he went on during the Obama years, I guess.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Patton's new wife also tragically lost her husband. Their shared grief helped them through the pain.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Patton's new wife also tragically lost her husband. Their shared grief helped them through the pain.

My god how deep does this conspiracy go???

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just finished Riverdale season 1. I hate to say it but THAT WAS GOOD AS HELL

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm having a weird issue with the CW app. The episode itself plays fine but the ads keep buffering.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I dunno how many people here are watching Search Party s2, but I’m finding this season a lil disappointing compared to the first one. s1 blended mystery, comedy and drama so well, but this one mostly isn’t very funny at all :(

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

I dunno how many people here are watching Search Party s2, but I’m finding this season a lil disappointing compared to the first one. s1 blended mystery, comedy and drama so well, but this one mostly isn’t very funny at all :(

I'll raise you that Hitchcock parody dream sequence.

Or the part where they have to explain why their door now says "murderer!" to a police officer.

That said, perhaps we just have different tastes in comedy; I didn't find season 1 very funny at all.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Just finished Riverdale season 1. I hate to say it but THAT WAS GOOD AS HELL

Stop now. The 22 episode order for Season 2 has turned it into a trainwreck.

Fire the dumbass exec who made that decision.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Looten Plunder posted:

Stop now. The 22 episode order for Season 2 has turned it into a trainwreck.

Fire the dumbass exec who made that decision.

I wasn’t feeling this season after 4 or so episodes, and I figured I would wait until I could binge watch the whole thing. 22 episodes? Nah never going to happen.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'll raise you that Hitchcock parody dream sequence.

Or the part where they have to explain why their door now says "murderer!" to a police officer.

That said, perhaps we just have different tastes in comedy; I didn't find season 1 very funny at all.

I can't help but enjoy how much of a thriller it is right now.

By the way, did anyone see the season finale that they posted on the website?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Pigasus posted:

I can't help but enjoy how much of a thriller it is right now.

By the way, did anyone see the season finale that they posted on the website?

No, what? Arrgh! So exciting.

Also, calling it: the "murderer!" chat has nothing to do with Keith or even Chantal. It's some random incidental thing, like Rosie Perez's suicide last year, or maybe something to do with the neighbour?.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^^ you’re a lil behind. eps 7&8 aired last night.

I’ve seen 9 but not 10 (they’re both already on iTunes but only 9 has been ripped). It was real good. I think my main issue with this season was them splitting the main cast for storylines that weren’t really especially good, deep, or interesting (especially Chantal + Mark Duplass).

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The one good thing about Tom is that he gives us access to Jean-Ralphio

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Joey Lawrence claims that there are "serious" talks about doing a Blossom revival. Man, nobody gives a poo poo about Blossom.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think she became a star again on Big Bang Theory

I was convinced nobody cared about Will and Grace

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mu Zeta posted:

I was convinced nobody cared about Will and Grace

That’ll be 2017 Golden Globe Nomination Will and Grace.

Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

This season of Will & Grace has been very good and barely missed a beat from the old ones (premiere notwithstanding), so a nomination earned imo.

• Locked thread