Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I saw the new star wars movie and get this: poe and finn kiss AND if you are seeing it in 3D and you give Poe your consent he kisses you too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Snooze Cruise posted:

I saw the new star wars movie and get this: poe and finn kiss AND if you are seeing it in 3D and you give Poe your consent he kisses you too

it really is the best star wars movie ever made :swoon:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
For my pre-VIII watchthrough, I decided to watch the "unaltered" versions of the OT, from the 2006 dvd release. It's been a LONG time since I've done that

jivjov fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 11, 2017

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Don't leave us hanging, how were they?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

josh04 posted:

Don't leave us hanging, how were they?

I'm watching IV...or rather, Star Wars, right now. About to see Han shoot first very soon :D

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

The French and German initial reviews are, apparently, much less glowing.

What are they saying?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Il Federale posted:

What are they saying?

Where the English ones were typically glowing vague stuff, the French and German reviews feature responses like...

"a very good SW-film and it has some of the best scenes in the whole series but beside that most is the same as usual"

"No revolution of SW but entertaining, funny and emotional"

"strong scenes meet some characters that are too weak to carry the story"

"Movie plays with the expectations of the fans. The beginning is a bit slow, the humor is sometimes too slapstick but the middle of the movie is pure SW, Hamill is great"

"TLJ is a very good 'Star Wars', a solid follow-up, with a perfect screenplay. But several disappointments. Let's all calm down: it's miles away from the ESB"

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

dsfijhsdkjfsdfsd

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 12, 2017

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Jiro posted:

I wholeheartedly disagree but it's nice that you like it.

For me the only good prequel material was the Gendy Tartakovsky Clone Wars mini series.

. Honestly all my gripes have been said over and over by other people that explain it better, so I'll just say the Plinkett reviews on the prequels pretty accurately points out why I cannot stand them

Well, at least you cut out the middleman of repeating Plinkett nearly verbatim in here. Whether through mere laziness or a true desire for efficience, I appreciate it.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

wrong thread my friend

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Danger posted:

Also read a funny interview with Hamill today where I guess his son was big into the EU and told him about a bunch of stuff like Mara Jade and him having a kid and Hamill asked Rian Johnson why they couldn't do something like that and Rian pretty much told him to get out of here with that poo poo.
There's something... odd about a kid basically reading fan fiction about his own dad. I mean, I know it's weird for your dad to be Luke in the first place, but drat that is somehow really surprising to me that the kid would be super into seeking out more of it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Well, at least you cut out the middleman of repeating Plinkett nearly verbatim in here. Whether through mere laziness or a true desire for efficience, I appreciate it.

More efficiency than anything, everyone knows the Plinkett reviews, and they do a way better job of explaining what I found hard to articulate plus examples they show to back it up. So yeah efficiency.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
They are too long to really be called efficient.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Snooze Cruise posted:

And also full of pretty gross jokes

And also they're rhetorically bad

They're bad

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

It was efficiency in saying to refer to the reviews than saying they were efficient themselves.

Waffles Inc. posted:

And also full of pretty gross jokes

And also they're rhetorically bad

They're bad

Gross piss and murder jokes aside they make valid concise points about the movies themselves and their all around shortcomings.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 12, 2017

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh yeah the gross jokes are there for no reason so yeah, there is nothing efficient about those reviews.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Jiro posted:

It was efficiency in saying to refer to the reviews than saying they were efficient themselves.

Gross piss and murder jokes aside they make valid concise points about the movies themselves and their all around shortcomings.

starts video

literally hours later

"...and then i have a woman in my rape dungeon! lmao PIZZA ROLLS HIS FACE"

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Jiro posted:

Well thanks again for sparing us that portion of the usual tedium.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Waffles Inc. posted:

starts video

literally hours later

"...and then i have a woman in my rape dungeon! lmao PIZZA ROLLS HIS FACE"

I'm sorry you apparently fell asleep during them? I guess?

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Well thanks again for sparing us that portion of the usual tedium.

No problem guy.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Jiro posted:

I'm sorry you apparently fell asleep during them? I guess?

No problem guy.

you've now spent like 5 posts not-explaining how the rape joke videos corroborate your opinion instead of using those posts to be like, "this is what i do or do not like about the star wars prequels (episodes 1-3)"

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Waffles Inc. posted:

you've now spent like 5 posts not-explaining how the rape joke videos corroborate your opinion instead of using those posts to be like, "this is what i do or do not like about the star wars prequels (episodes 1-3)"

You've also had a guy thanking me for not repeating well known Plinkett quotes again that's apparently been repeated before many times over.

I wasn't aware that me saying that, rape, poop, and piss jokes aside, the points that are made during the actual review portions of those videos tend to fall in line with how I feel about the prequels. So you're either just being pedantic and a troll or you're being a bad troll.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Prequels are bad
Actually prequels are good
No they’re not they’re bad
Star Wars fans don’t like Star Wars
Plinkett reviews are good
Plinkett reviews are actually bad
No they’re good because....[return to step one]

There, I’ve summed up every Star Wars thread on CD. It’s literally been this same circular argument for years.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

When does the review embargo lift?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Yaws posted:

When does the review embargo lift?

From what I understand, tomorrow morning. 11am ET but possibly sooner.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Jiro posted:

You've also had a guy thanking me for not repeating well known Plinkett quotes again that's apparently been repeated before many times over.

I wasn't aware that me saying that, rape, poop, and piss jokes aside, the points that are made during the actual review portions of those videos tend to fall in line with how I feel about the prequels. So you're either just being pedantic and a troll or you're being a bad troll.

Isn't it better to talk about movies yourself instead of saying "you should watch this video to hear what I think this movie"?

That's what I'm getting at

What's the point of going, "oh, me? my thoughts? um, well this video that's not mine does the trick! I won't elaborate"

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Mahoning posted:

From what I understand, tomorrow morning. 11am ET but possibly sooner.

The Last Jedi sounds like it's going to be divisive.

Unfortunately it's been spoiled for me because of Milky Moors mistake.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Yaws posted:

The Last Jedi sounds like it's going to be divisive.

Unfortunately it's been spoiled for me because of Milky Moors mistake.

I am truly, legitimately sorry.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

I am truly, legitimately sorry.

Nah, it's alright homie, don't sweat it. It's just a movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yaws posted:

Nah, it's alright homie, don't sweat it. It's just a movie.

IT'S NOT JUST A MOVIE! IT'S THE CULTURAL EVENT OF A GENERATION

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
*smuggles Crystal Pepsi into theater for TLJ*

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lCW-iaOZ_M

This video contains no spoilers.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
I read the spoilers and TLJ sounds dope as hell. The only people that will hate it are the super duper read all 30 Star Wars books and comics and they better acknowledge that kind of fans and they are the worst anyways.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ8sFRuDyiU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My buddy that builds R2D2s and does events here and there got to take his son to see TLJ at the studio screening room yesterday morning.

I'm not talking to him until Friday. Blargh.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Belgian site Geekster Star Wars: The Last Jedi review (warning: The article contains very slight spoilers about the nature of the conflict between the First Order and the Resistance in the first ten to fifteen minutes of the movie, plus plot content we already knew from the trailers)

The entire review can be found here: https://www.geekster.be/films/star-wars-viii-the-last-jedi-review/

tl;dr: A step in the right direction
Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi respects the franchise’s rich tradition, but contrary to The Force Awakens, it still does its own thing. This produces amusing and especially surprising cinema. Like Rey and Kylo Ren, Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi succeeds in escaping from the long shadows of its predecessor and the new generation finally picks up the torch. The Last Jedi is exciting and surprises with insane plot twists, yet still has a couple of plot issues. A step in the right direction, through trial and error.

disclaimer: I write for this site, but didn't write this review

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Have there been any reviews specifically from folks who didn't like TFA or RO? The post above is the closest I've heard.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
AV Club's review had a slight, likely revealed early in the movie spoiler that I still wish I hadn't known going in.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CNN was not impressed.

quote:

If expectations for "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" were inordinately (and perhaps unfairly) high, thank "The Force Awakens," which had a huge donut hole in the shape of Luke Skywalker at its center. Yet even with Luke integrated into the story, the film feels like a significant letdown, one that does far less than its predecessor to stoke enthusiasm for the next leg in the trilogy.

Running more than 2 ˝ hours, the eighth "Star Wars" movie built around the Skywalker clan is the longest under that banner and showcases an abundance of action. But despite the enormous scope and visual spectacle, too many key components of the film -- including those that have kept die-hard fans guessing and debating -- prove unsatisfying.

But gently caress CNN anyway, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
A film's job isn't to stoke enthusiasm for the next film (outside of Marvel movies, I guess).