Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

crazypeltast52 posted:

The 50s also had another plan for water, the NAWAPA. It only had two downsides, it involved taking British Columbia's water and would involve damming the biggest free-flowing rivers in the American west, but it would have been an unbelievable amount of water.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Water_and_Power_Alliance

Thank god that didn't happen. I've never looked at a North American map and said "can we gently caress over the environment Soviet style, so that Palm Springs can have emerald-green lawns?"

Speaking of bad ideas with water, in the 90s there was some group of assholes that wanted to drain the great lakes, which is just a catastrophically bad idea, like draining the Mediterranean or giant water cannons sending water aloft at 400 mph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Then there was also the opposite, to flood a basin in the Sahara to create arable land. Basically do on purpose what happened by accident to make the Salton Sea.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I think this sharkmouth is a commentary:

Privateer:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

More things I found:

Another airplane for our Crimson Skies reboot:

B-19:

Canada's Fury:

The Helldiver is pretty big:

If anybody wants to infodump on the careers of the endless variants of the Lockheed Hudson, I'd appreciate it.

Interior, Fw 200. Looks like the forward top turret and radio stations.

Kingfisher flying is a man's job, Torkerio

'Tony'

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Nebakenezzer posted:

Thank god that didn't happen. I've never looked at a North American map and said "can we gently caress over the environment Soviet style, so that Palm Springs can have emerald-green lawns?"

It wouldn't have all been bad

quote:

The engineering of the project and the creation of a large number of new reservoirs — many of them in designated wilderness areas — would have destroyed vast areas of wildlife habitat in Canada and the American West and would have required the relocation of hundreds of thousands of people — including the entire city of Prince George, British Columbia.

Gotta admit, a navigable waterway between Alberta and the Great Lakes would have been interesting. We could have used tankers instead of piplelines and trains to move oil! :buddy:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

crazypeltast52 posted:

The 50s also had another plan for water, the NAWAPA. It only had two downsides, it involved taking British Columbia's water and would involve damming the biggest free-flowing rivers in the American west, but it would have been an unbelievable amount of water.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Water_and_Power_Alliance

Good god the mid 20th century was a hell of a thing.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Default Settings posted:

We are talking 1950s here - minor technical complications like that can surely be overcome by some device involving raw nuclear power.

Dig a canal using nukes.

Fallout? What's that?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nebakenezzer posted:

...which is just a catastrophically bad idea, like draining the Mediterranean...

Hey, it’s hard to turn down a hundred thousand megawatts of hydro power.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

vessbot posted:

Aquatical Insanity:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantropa?wprov=sfla1

Atlantropa: Herman Sorgel's plan to dam the Strait of Gibraltar and partially drain the Mediterranean to create lebensraum without having to invade countries, while generating gobs of electrical power

The Ugg of Italy

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Google says the US consumes 10 million MW per day, so that's a cool 15 minutes of power from our perspective.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

That would be megawatt-hours per day, not megawatts. 100k MW times 24h is 2.4 million MWh per day, or a full quarter of our energy consumption, every day. Nothing to sneeze at.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I will accept my punishment for misusing units and attempt to calculate a fuel check on an E6B.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

I will accept my punishment for misusing units and attempt to calculate a fuel check on an E6B.

You have run out of avgas while fiddling with your slide rule

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

tactlessbastard posted:

You have run out of avgas while fiddling with your slide rule

KPDX Trail

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Travelling back to your home Army heliport isn't easy!
You have reached the Big Blue River Crossing.
You elect to fly over power lines at the pole or superstructure.
You decided to hunt. You kill 700 pounds of deer but can only fit 15 pounds in the aft stowage bay.
A thief stole 97 gallons of JET-A from your aircraft!
You stop for food at the FBO.
Your copilot has dysentery.
You have cholera.
You need 390 gallons of JET-A to make it home. The general store doesn't have this much.
You notice a broken wheel on throughflight but ignore it to continue mission.
Your copilot has 0% cell battery.
Your copilot has died.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

A neat airplane related video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcUJqs37EHE

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Travelling back to your home Army heliport isn't easy!
You have reached the Big Blue River Crossing.
You elect to fly over power lines at the pole or superstructure.
You decided to hunt. You kill 700 pounds of deer but can only fit 15 pounds in the aft stowage bay.
A thief stole 97 gallons of JET-A from your aircraft!
You stop for food at the FBO.
Your copilot has dysentery.
You have cholera.
You need 390 gallons of JET-A to make it home. The general store doesn't have this much.
You notice a broken wheel on throughflight but ignore it to continue mission.
Your copilot has 0% cell battery.
Your copilot has died.

>pull chute

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Platystemon posted:

>pull chute

here lies platystemon

peperony and chease

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

vessbot posted:

Aquatical Insanity:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantropa?wprov=sfla1

Atlantropa: Herman Sorgel's plan to dam the Strait of Gibraltar and partially drain the Mediterranean to create lebensraum without having to invade countries, while generating gobs of electrical power

On a more serious note, while the concept is pretty cool, the overall change in water depth and salinity would be disastrous for the entire Med biome, not to mention it would probably impact global climate and ocean salt levels in a measurable way.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

https://youtu.be/qi92Va9XuX8

Ground effect in full effect

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

R-Type posted:

On a more serious note, while the concept is pretty cool, the overall change in water depth and salinity would be disastrous for the entire Med biome, not to mention it would probably impact global climate and ocean salt levels in a measurable way.

Yup, pretty much what's going on with the Aral Sea basin :(

E: actually not exactly, a big part of that is the blowing dust from the concentrated and distilled-out agricultural runoff

vessbot fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 12, 2017

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

I'm kinda in a hurry so I jumped to a random point in the middle, and what do I see, glamorous musical pan shots of the... autopilot panel. gently caress this gay earth

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Going from a Dash-8 to A380 is quite the shock :haw:

Dash 8s are so skinny and that A380, phwoar. :btroll:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I just booked a trip which will include:
My first 747, for the main trip out
My first non-turboprop non-Boeing/Airbus (Embraer 190, I've been in a Dash-8 once before) for the local leg
My first A380, for the main trip back

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

They built two miles of runway, it'd be a waste not to use it all.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

simplefish posted:

I just booked a trip which will include:
My first 747, for the main trip out
My first non-turboprop non-Boeing/Airbus (Embraer 190, I've been in a Dash-8 once before) for the local leg
My first A380, for the main trip back

Yeah, one of my bucket list/just got diagnosed with terminal cancer items is to fly down to DFW, catch a Qantas A380 to Sydney, gently caress around there for a few days (never been to Australia), then catch a pair of Emirates or Ethiad A380s back to Dulles via the Middle East. All business class or better, except the hop to DFW. I could care less flying coach to there.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Yeah I'm flying cheap seats. Premium Economy would have tripled the price, I shudder to think what Business would have cost.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

simplefish posted:

Yeah I'm flying cheap seats. Premium Economy would have tripled the price, I shudder to think what Business would have cost.

When I worked out my 'dream' route it came out to ~25 grand all told, *before* lodging in Sydney for a few days' time. Most of the connections from SYD to AUH/DOH to IAD have a ~12-24h layover, so I'd likely have to nap in the business class lounge or get a room at an airport hotel for a fraction of a day. Just round-trip from DFW to SYD and back in business class is ~$9k.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Probably been posted here before but I would like to fly the $18,000 USD Singapore Airlines suite class flight, from Singapore to NYC.

Double bed :stare:

vvv lol, no kidding. I want some of that coffee tho.

priznat fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 12, 2017

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Reading that gave me heartburn.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Lol look at the loving poor flying on someone else's plane.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If I could borrow money from future me, in a time traveling sense, not a hosed credit sense, I'd fly round the world on 1st class as a last airline hurrah, then never fly on holiday again.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The bleeping on this one alone is a work of art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLyiL7R_Fms

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If I could time travel, I’d time travel to the early sixties, fly Pan-Am to my destination, and then time travel back to the present once I got there.

Airline travel sucks bad, now.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Nah it’s just gotten cheap enough that anyone can afford it. You can still fly in the lap of luxury if you have money.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

MrYenko posted:

If I could time travel, I’d time travel to the early sixties, fly Pan-Am to my destination, and then time travel back to the present once I got there.

Your Pan Am coach ticket would cost as much as a first class flight now.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
And first-class overseas today is ridiculously better than it would've been "back in the day."

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MrYenko posted:

No entertainment systems, no full recline, cabin full of cigarette smoke. I think the food may have been pretty good, maybe the wine selection too, but not as ostentatious and overall high quality as today - in first class that is. Oh yeah and:

I suppose you could just time travel away before impact.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Ola posted:

I suppose you could just time travel away before impact.

...and then fall into the ocean in the present day from 10K feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Does time-travel preserve momentum?

Wait, first question first, is time-travel geocentric?