Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alxprit posted:

I don't think spicy pepper updrafts work in shrines. I tried it when I was being dumb with the dungeon earlier.

I just checked and you are right. Campfires don't work either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
My opinion of the DLC improved when I found the champions' diaries and they actually started talking when going to the divine beasts.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Zore posted:

Hey, some reward horse armor which is cool. Cosmetic stuff like that is a neat reward, and they could have done some more with your house in Hateno and let some minigames give you furniture or trophies for it.

Gimme a basement where I can frame more cool weapons and some outfits.

Also it's real weird that you can't have all the DLC outfits & amiibo outfits, you'd think they'd just up the page count for equipment by one as it seems that's all it'd take to hold everything.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

My opinion of the DLC improved when I found the champions' diaries and they actually started talking when going to the divine beasts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BmBmOAHLd8

This stuff is amazing.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I never used my Champion weapons, I just put them in my house. I grabbed them when going into Hyrule to fight Ganon, because it felt appropriate, even if they were wake. Kind of shame they're just fragile, relatively mediocre weapons. Not much to do but display them, but that takes up like half the slots so a basement would definitely be nice.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Bloop posted:

The great thing is that there IS no wrong way.

Cheese it with a spicy pepper updraft if you want. Be the hero!

This is one of the reasons BoTW is GOTY. It is the game you make it to be, and this flexibility (within parameters) is what gives so much to so many different people.

2 of the 4 Champion's Quests done for me. Daruk's was a bit easier than Revali's so far. On to Mipha's stuff. It's been fun. :)

Edit:

GobiasIndustries posted:

gently caress literally every gyro control puzzle, though.

Also, this.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Man, actually having incentive to use a horse in this dlc really adds something extra. It feels much more like the other classic 3d zeldas when I'm galloping down a path with the wind streaming past.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Zore posted:

Hey, some reward horse armor which is cool. Cosmetic stuff like that is a neat reward, and they could have done some more with your house in Hateno and let some minigames give you furniture or trophies for it.

strongly agree with this. more home items and cosmetic poo poo would have opened up the scope of rewards available in the game as well - instead of more rare weapons, get seeds that you can use to cultivate your own herbs or fruit trees at home. or breed a fish or critter in the pond next to your house. i dunno. i love the house but it feels like a pretty empty reward by the time you've finished furnishing it.

even having a bunch of collectable 'souveneirs' that you can get from locations in the game - stables, hidden chests in ruins, wandering shopkeepers - would be a good way to add unique, totally cosmetic poo poo. mementos of what you did in the quest

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I do kind of wish you could get a second home in/outside Tarry Town with a warp stone upgrade from a Shiekah lab quest or something.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Crawfish posted:

The Key Item you get at the very end of the DLC has a use if you visit your house.

Thanks for that. :3:

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Kind of shame they're just fragile, relatively mediocre weapons.

The Lightscale Trident and Boulder Breaker actually have the most durability out of all of the two handed weapons. The great eagle bow isn't the best bow but it is in the top rankings for durability and attack when you don't factor in bonuses. It's only the Scimitar of the Seven that really gets left behind; it has some of the highest durability for a one handed weapon, but there are several weapons that outcless it's attack range that make it not really worthwhile at all.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I honestly don't remember ever getting that drat trident and I don't know where to find the cheap one that you can upgrade.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
When I got the trident I thought spears were for throwing and I threw it at a duck and it broke. I felt bad.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/JRBSFX/status/940422820030332929

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

This is right up there with naming Link "I say," and turning everyone into Foghorn Leghorn.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I do kind of miss being able to name Link into something else for BoTW but it wouldn't work really because of how the game encounters work so oh well.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

they put a mother fuckin motorcycle in zelda

e: worst part of the dlc was opening chests in the shrines/sacred beast and getting weapons that only do 9 damage. like why even bother including chests at all? you can't even access this stuff until late game anyway

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lol

http://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/breath-wild-player-finally-acquires-rare-powerful-weapon-look-never-use/

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

if they don't include a motorcycle in the next zelda that you can get at any point as long as you know where to find it then nintendo is extremely loving up the game

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I do kind of miss being able to name Link into something else for BoTW but it wouldn't work really because of how the game encounters work so oh well.

Imagine if they had some computer synthesized speech for your name so all of the VA'd parts would say anything. I'd love to hear terrible douchey posh Zelda say "My dude... wake up... my dude."

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

It would be funny if there was a second, secret recording for a New Game+ where everyone referred to Link as Zelda.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

"MY DUDE! EAT THE FROG, MY DUDE!"

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Or Yiga clan members trying to remember your name...

ACOPKILLEDMYDOG
Aug 7, 2013
Now that Zelda and Link have hosed up the cycle of reincarnation, hopefully we can get a new villain. I'd love a revisit of the themes in Links Awakening or have a kid Ganon as the protag fighting against a tyrannical Zelda.
I finished the game and Zelda bothers me. Why she gotta dress like she has a Pinterest account and wants to see my manager? Why does she sound like some narrator in a JOI video? Why is she still 17 despite spending a 100 years in a psychic battle with a ghost cow?
I had fun tho, I'm doing the dlc now.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

The Bloop posted:

The great thing is that there IS no wrong way.

The only right way is stand on the metal box and use 5 octorock balloons to just float up. Takes like 10 seconds to finish this shrine..

..after I spent 20 minutes miserably failing to try and get poo poo to float with magnesis/stasis and held together by ice pillars.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I honestly don't remember ever getting that drat trident and I don't know where to find the cheap one that you can upgrade.

Once you've got the first one, a new one shows up submerged in the Zora communal sleeping pool.

My thoughts on The Champion's ballad.

Initial sequence:
Going in, I had 27 hearts, and three Stamina Wheels. I'd maxed out weapon and bow slots. The last major thing I'd done in the game was kill every Lynel on the map, so I had about a dozen multi-shot Lynel bows, (about five of which were 5-shot bows) and nearly four hundred Shock Arrows, because I never used them normally. I also had full upgrades on almost all the armors.

I wound up stealthing the first encampment fairly easily, but the second one I went after revealed to me that enemies stayed dead even if they killed me, at which point, I started caring a lot less about my technique. It was pretty straightforward.

The new shrines:
I /mostly/ liked the new Shines. I never had to actually look up a shrine solution, though I wound up sacrificing a Giant Boomerang in an electrical shrine rather than sussing out an intended solution.

The only ones I really had a problem with was the motion-control shrines because all these new puzzles required locking the motion-control pieces in a specific orientation, and figuring out where the "B" button was when my controller was upside-down and backwards without rotating things out of alignment was /extremely/ annoying. They probably should have used one of the triggers to kick out of the Motion Control sequence; those buttons are much easier to find from awkward feel.

I did have to look up where the NPCs attached to the Kirhiro Moh shrine at the Master Khoga fight location I think they might wind up so far from the indicator map dot that they don't load when you're running around there.

The bosses:
The only one I really had to fight more than once was Waterblight Ganon, because I'm still on my first actual playthrough and the last time I fought him was back in March and I'd forgotten everything about him. Out of arrows, out of Urbosa's Furies, and out of (I thought) options, I finally managed to kill him with a thrown trident. Every other boss, I beat on the first try. Thunderblight Ganon is a /lot/ easier when you can use an Urbosa's Fury and don't have to play his Pillar Lightning Game.

All the new enemies are refightable, so you don't have to worry about missing Compendium Images from them. I think this pretty much means that the only permanently-missable enemy shots in the game are now Master Khoga, Guardian Sentries, and possibly Cursed Bokoblins.

The new Divine Beast dungeon was pretty cool. Possibly because of experience and building on previous mechanics, I never found myself extensively stuck in it.

Finally, the Phantom Ganon Armor is the armor for riding the Master Cycle Zero. Dig that fluttering cape.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

What the heck is a spicy pepper updraft

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Frankston posted:

Set a Spicy Pepper on fire with something; instant paraglider updraft.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Frankston posted:

Farts. Which reminds me. Link should now have a motorcycle in Smash.

(I would have serious answered but someone already did)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Haven't beaten the DLC yet, I'm at the dungeon. It's fine and I've had fun but it feels like a missed opportunity. Mostly it's doing the same stuff that BotW has already done and I feel it would have been better served introducing something new to the game. An example would be to introduce actual dungeons to the game.

My own idea would have been to take the mechanic for the bosses and apply it to a dungeon itself. Link gets a loadout of preselected items and has to go through a dungeon with them, conceptually mirroring the path the champion took through the dungeon.

If you wanted to be really creative, it's here that you could introduce popular Zelda items as oneshot things for the dungeon itself.

So Urbosa might have found a pair of clawshots in her dungeon and when Link goes there in her shoes he finds them as well, but obviously since the dungeon is from his own memories, he can't then take them back out with him.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

maltesh posted:

I wound up stealthing the first encampment fairly easily, but the second one I went after revealed to me that enemies stayed dead even if they killed me, at which point, I started caring a lot less about my technique. It was pretty straightforward.

I just did that part of the DLC, and I'm pretty sure this isn't true? What you may be seeing is that certain locations can save so you can take out a couple and go around a different area and those first few monsters will stay dead. But when I didn't do that, I died several times going in hard, and it reloaded me outside the area and all the monsters I killed came back.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Tender Bender posted:

I just beat the game this weekend and I have to say I'm severely bummed by that. This, more than any other Zelda except maybe Majora's Mask, is so much about the world moreso than the actual concept of Ganon as a villain, so I would have liked to see the world reflect his defeat. Even without a postgame, many of the best games in the series do a satisfying world tour through the credits, showing you the people you've helped, the things that are doing better, etc. This has Zelda basically say "good job!" and chat with you a bit and that's it. Which is fine for that character but what about everyone else, it kinda feels like everyone really isn't impacted either way.

Breath of the Wild's ending is really bad and the ending of the new DLC is like 100 times better and it's still not that great.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Breath of the Wild's ending is really bad and the ending of the new DLC is like 100 times better and it's still not that great.

The gently caress are you talking about

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Ventana posted:

I just did that part of the DLC, and I'm pretty sure this isn't true? What you may be seeing is that certain locations can save so you can take out a couple and go around a different area and those first few monsters will stay dead. But when I didn't do that, I died several times going in hard, and it reloaded me outside the area and all the monsters I killed came back.

the monsters i had killed remained dead after I got a game over. it happened a dozen times cause I wasn't being careful, so i'm pretty sure there were less each time i respawned.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dictator. posted:

the monsters i had killed remained dead after I got a game over. it happened a dozen times cause I wasn't being careful, so i'm pretty sure there were less each time i respawned.

You can save during it and auto saves happen too but if you run in like a maniac you'll die and start at the last save before you killed anything. You can save after each kill of you want and they'll stay dead.

I don't know if blood moons can happen if you go dick around the plateau too much, though.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, apparently the lobster shirt makes rafts go faster. Will have to try that out

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Well after like 120 hours I beat the final boss. I liked Calamity Ganon but Dark Beast Ganon was hilariously bad. He barely moves!

By the way what unlocks when you beat the final boss? Only 2 things I know of are buying boss pictures and the mini-boss counter from Kilton.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

McDragon posted:

Ha, apparently the lobster shirt makes rafts go faster. Will have to try that out

omg I just picked it up last night, going to have to play with that now

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If they don't make a sequel with the amazing engine they've made I'll riot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

RatHat posted:

Well after like 120 hours I beat the final boss. I liked Calamity Ganon but Dark Beast Ganon was hilariously bad. He barely moves!

By the way what unlocks when you beat the final boss? Only 2 things I know of are buying boss pictures and the mini-boss counter from Kilton.

You get a completion percentage listed on the map screen.