Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm surprised that joke managed to pull out of the garage. I think it's been around as long as the stock market.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm surprised that joke managed to pull out of the garage. I think it's been around as long as the stock market.

:(

Have some more fresh BWM material then - harvested just this morning.

My dad buys a Sudoku magazine. The most recent edition had one of those scratch-off thingies, and my dad won something. So he calls the number and they tell him that he will first have to pay them $30 per month for 3 months before they can pay him. He agreed. :sigh: Fortunately, before even giving them a cent, he realizes it's a scam because the other magazine also has the scratch-off thing and he won on that one too. What does he do? He buys 5 more magazines and compares their scratch-offs, and they too have the same pattern. I had to stop him mid-story and tell him to stop loving buying that poo poo.

What really bothers me is that this is not the first time he has fallen for this scheme.

Getting old sucks, but watching my dad get old is far more painful. He turns everything into his Vietnam and ends up complaining about _everything_ without ever doing poo poo about anything. The icing on the cake is that he is also forgetful, so I hear every story at least 4 times, typically >10 times.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Has anybody peeped the new subforum name yet?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Hoodwinker posted:

Has anybody peeped the new subforum name yet?

lmao. I'm going to pay off ~2k in crypto hardware in 2 months

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

theHUNGERian posted:

Getting old sucks, but watching my dad get old is far more painful. He turns everything into his Vietnam and ends up complaining about _everything_ without ever doing poo poo about anything. The icing on the cake is that he is also forgetful, so I hear every story at least 4 times, typically >10 times.

Welcome to what every old person transmutes into at any second.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7j15lr/starting_back_college_at_30_years_old_next/[/quote posted:

My grandmother unfortunately passed and left me an inheritance of $30,000. Full tuition to graduate with what I have left (91 hours) is $27,000. Figure I just use that inheritance for just that and get "free" tuition. But....should I look into buying a house as well? I'm stuck here for another 3 years

quote:

I am confident that I'll be making $60k at the least walking off of that podium in 3 years in that field as that is generally the entry level pay. Nightmare scenario is $50k, but that's still more than I make now ($35k-$40k). So, I'm not messed up about taking out max student loans as I go. I view it as an investment into my future.

The pull to try to buy a house sure is strong for a lot of people.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The real estate industry has done a real good job of beating the idea of homeownership into the average American's head. Don't think too hard about whether it's actually a good idea or not in your circumstances, just do whatever you can to buy buy buy! Renting is throwing money away, get started building equity!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Honestly, in places with reasonably priced homes I can see the appeal. Stability and the freedom to do whatever the gently caress you want.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I see way too many BWM stories that seem to follow the same blueprint:

-5 figures of consumer debt
-massive student loan debt
-barely making minimum wage or barely subsisting after paying minimum payments and $700 in candles every month
-“I’d like to buy a house in the next 6 months what can I do?” or “I’m thinking of buying a house with my roommate/friend/girlfriend/horse”

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Cicero posted:

Honestly, in places with reasonably priced homes I can see the appeal. Stability and the freedom to do whatever the gently caress you want.
Stability for sure, but like, you can't do whatever you want if you want your property to keep it's value, whereas when you rent, you don't have to give a poo poo about the future of the property or things that are long-term issues at all. Like, a quick half-fix that will destroy your home in the long term but fix an issue right now? If it's my house, that's off the table, but if I'm renting, I don't have to give a poo poo. Being able and willing to piss off neighbors and condo boards and just generally treat the property as disposable is a perk even if it's unsavory to do so, and it's a freedom you only have when renting. I feel much more willing to do what I want when I live in a property that, if I gently caress it up too badly, someone else is holding the bag for. I don't really intend to exercise this freedom, I'd rather not harm my landlord and live here for awhile assuming everything stays good, but I definitely would feel much more restrained and "un-free" in a home that I owned if that makes sense.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Cicero posted:

Did I mention he's going to school in central Arkansas?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Like oh nooo leaving the door open when I shower will definitely cause my paint to peel in 10 years ahhhhhhhhh is something that I'd never think of in a rented home.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Having your own house is cool, but everything else about homeownership sucksssss

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Cicero posted:

But not for a student who will graduate soon. Stability is the worst for that sort of person. Most students will need to move for their first job, even if it is only across town.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

canyoneer posted:

Having your own house is cool, but everything else about homeownership sucksssss

You can yell "get off my property" at people so there's that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

You can yell "get off my property" at people so there's that.
You can yell this at anyone, anywhere. You are free now.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You can yell this at anyone, anywhere. You are free now.

Get off my property

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

A lease creates a leasehold interest to the lessee, which represents your real property possessory claim to your rental. Therefore you can exercise that right in a rental as well!

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

SlyFrog posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about?

Couple days back but just wanted to apologize, yours wasn't the post I'd meant to quote, which is why it doesn't make much sense.

April
Jul 3, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7iz13z/didnt_even_realize_i_was_digging_a_huge_hole/?st=jb2tzthb&sh=621f8599

quote:

I am 21 years old and I’m $23,000 in debt... and none of it is student loans or medical bills. I’m also a parent and I don’t have a degree. The best pay rate I can achieve is $10/hr and I feel like I’m drowning. I can’t figure out a way to pay these debts off in an efficient and timely manner without being completely broke.

I got a $3,800 loan to try to consolidate some debt I had several months ago. For that, I pay $252/month. I owe $3,663 in racked up traffic fines spanning from several years ago which I am not paying on currently but I need to get that total down significantly in order to get my license unsuspended. I had to repair the suspension on my car with a whopping $3,306 loan ($236/month). I’m renting a couch from Rent a Center for my apartment for $196/month and I’m unable to purchase one outright. I’m paying $87/month for SmileDirectClub. I got a loan to purchase a gaming PC for $2,200 (stupidest decision I’ve ever made) paying $99/month. Another $2,200 sitting in collections. I have $1,500 in credit card debt, I owe my attorney $1,600, and my checking account is negative $600.

Thankfully, I live with my boyfriend who pays for rent, utilities, and food, but I’d really like to find a way to help him out with the bills while also trying to lower my total debt balance. I’ve been considering bankruptcy but I’m clueless about it and I really wouldn’t want to clear up all my debt only to owe an attorney more money. I’d also like to look into a student loan for cosmetology school in the near future. I’m just at a loss on what to do. I keep accruing more debt somehow and I’m starting to sink into depression because of it. I just want to give up. Any advice?

Of course, the OP is offered some very simple, obvious advice, but:

WAHHHHH I DON'T WANT TO posted:

I can return the PC, and I know I definitely should, but I’m still hesitant because it’s the only form of entertainment I have. The couch is a necessity but if I had the funds to buy a used one for much cheaper, I would definitely return it. SmileDirectClub is like Invisalign, only cheaper. I still owe ~$1,800 to them.
I don’t have any skills at all, really. Working in the customer service industry is even a struggle because I’m not a people person. I didn’t graduate but I have a GED and I’ve never continued my education. I also had two jobs at one time, but my mental health was declining and I’m now waiting for this new medication to take effect before I try to put too much on my plate.

Really, the whole thread is a giant litany of excuses. "I have soooooo much debt, how can I get rid of it without getting rid of anything or earning any more money or making any changes whatsoever???"

April
Jul 3, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7j3e08/managing_unaffordable_monthly_payments_at_17/?st=jb2ujbad&sh=95b92f8b

quote:

I’m a seventeen year old female and have around 2k in my account. I️ am pretty diligent about saving and have a decently paying job ($20 h). I️ may be bound to a monthly payment of around $1150 a month but my parents have agreed to pitch in $350 a month easing the payments for me making it a more bearable $800. I️ make around $180 a weekend but plan on picking up around 5 more hours a week. I️ could ideally pick up another job (likely paid 10.50 an hour),but managing work and school I’m assured will be too arduous to handle. I️ am determined to make this work I️ just can’t seem to work the logistics out myself. I’m aware of just how far of a stretch this will be but need to make this work. What should I️ be working weekly? Advice? Am I️ nuts for trying to do this?

Wait, why does a 17 year old need $1150/month? Medical bills? Sports car?? It's a horse.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
re: PC guy

Got to be a troll.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

I assumed that was a girl. But it was probably real as he/she has deleted their post in shame.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Moneyball posted:

re: PC guy

Got to be a troll.

The couch is the dead giveaway. That and the gaming PC when everyone knows you don't PC game on a couch.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

FateFree posted:

I assumed that was a girl. But it was probably real as he/she has deleted their post in shame.

Clearly reading comprehension is not my strong suit. I see $2,200 gaming PC and instantly picture some neckbeard.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Krispy Wafer posted:

The couch is the dead giveaway. That and the gaming PC when everyone knows you don't PC game on a couch.

just lol if you don't have your pc hooked up to both a monitor and your giant gently caress-off tv for both serious business and couch play.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

The Butcher posted:

Couple days back but just wanted to apologize, yours wasn't the post I'd meant to quote, which is why it doesn't make much sense.

Jesus, contrition on the internet. It's going to rain frogs soon.

I'm sorry I went a little nuts on you, internet buddy. :glomp:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Bottom line: If you're not an Olympic level rider you shouldn't be spending that much money on a horse. And if you are an Olympic level rider the owners are paying you to ride their horses so you still shouldn't be spending that much money on a horse.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Nono, it's a loving LEASE of a horse. lol, how is that a thing?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Suspicious Lump posted:

After 5 years you get the option to buy the horse at about 1/2 the retail cost.

Not for most people, but if you ride a horse for work it can be a good idea.

No it isn't. Never lease a goddamn horse.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Suspicious Lump posted:

Horse leases are remarkably common in show hunter* land, particularly with ponies since they are outgrown in a few years, or in the junior hunters (what the OP wants to do) since the rider ages out of the division at age 18. Since a fully-trained A rated show hunter costs six figures, and the rider will only be riding it for a few years, a lease can make sense. Also, even horses that cost over $100k are constantly looking for ways to hurt themselves, and with a lease if the horse goes dead-legged lame one day the lessee won't be stuck with it.

Spending $1150/month on a lease is still ridiculous any way you slice it, of course.

*Show hunters are horses who are supposed to look pretty jumping slowly over small fences, as opposed to show jumpers who jump big fences as fast as possible. Unlike show jumpers the hunters don't earn large cash prizes and don't compete in the Olympics so it is literally all for rich person bragging rights.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I know there are people who rent furniture, but that couch line about being unable to purchase one (therefore "having" to rent) totally gives it away.

Couches are free. People literally give them away all the time.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Elysium posted:

I know there are people who rent furniture, but that couch line about being unable to purchase one (therefore "having" to rent) totally gives it away.

Couches are free. People literally give them away all the time.
Also you could get a new lovely ikea couch for the cost of the monthly couch rent or less:

quote:

[–]slavy 7 points 1 day ago

Cheapest Ikea couch is $130, 2/3 the price of the monthly rent.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
In some places getting a "free" couch can lead to an expensive bedbug infestation.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Konstantin posted:

In some places getting a "free" couch can lead to an expensive bedbug infestation.

Having bedbugs means never being alone.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

You can buy a perfectly decent couch for less than a couple hundo off of craigslist too, but that assumes the ability to move it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Youth Decay posted:

the difference between show hunters and show jumpers

I honestly thought I'd already learned all the dumb poo poo about horses there is to know, but this thread still finds a way to surprise me.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Never get a couch that you can't bench press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Hoodwinker posted:

You can buy a perfectly decent couch for less than a couple hundo off of craigslist too, but that assumes the ability to move it.

Don't resort to Craigslist for anything you sleep on or with.