Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

esperterra posted:

This season of Will & Grace has been very good and barely missed a beat from the old ones (premiere notwithstanding), so a nomination earned imo.

Will & Grace was never good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhyno posted:

To who? Lots of people enjoyed the show. Is it not prestige enough for you?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

Stop now. The 22 episode order for Season 2 has turned it into a trainwreck.

Fire the dumbass exec who made that decision.

Wait it's 22 loving episodes? Well I mean I gurss that at least means there might be more good episodes.

I don't hate s2, buy it certainly does notnhave the tight focus and forward momentum that s1 had.

I've gotten good results by picturing events in s2 as newspaper strip comics.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I’m hoping it’s like Agents of Shield where it’s basically two separate stories cut into 22 episodes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

To who? Lots of people enjoyed the show. Is it not prestige enough for you?

I have a very deep seated hatred of Debra Messing that I can not explain.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I’ve crushed on her for a long long time. I’m sorry you hate perfection.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

I’m sorry you hate perfection.

I didn't say anything bad about Megan Mullally!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

Wait it's 22 loving episodes? Well I mean I gurss that at least means there might be more good episodes.

I know right!? There is still some guilty pleasure entertainment there but so much of it is pointless dumb sideplot drama that you know is just padding and it's painful.

I'm on board with the goofy high school melodrama in principle but it's a meandering chore to get through at the moment. Seriously, how is a guy who hasn't finished puberty and is too young to have live watched season one of The Sopranos the leader of an outlaw drug trafficking motorcycle gang? Who has only been part of the gang for a couple of weeks and before that was associated with said gangs mortal enemy.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
There's been eight episodes of Riverdale's second season. Two of them have been outright bad, which admittedly isn't a great average, but the strong episodes have been way stronger than anything from season 1, and while I'm about ready to see this Black Hood plot reach its home stretch, I haven't gotten any sense of artificial drama (that isn't quickly resolved, anyway) or other miscellaneous wheel-spinning. All the complaints I'm hearing are stuff that's baked in from the format and tone, and if it has anything to do with the 22-episode order, it's way too early to know.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The whole concept of how "The Serpents" are organized seems exactly like how a gang would be portrayed in a Saturday morning cartoon or a 3 panel newspaper strip.

None of it makes any loving sense.

Which is fine, I guess.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Snak posted:

The whole concept of how "The Serpents" are organized seems exactly like how a gang would be portrayed in a Saturday morning cartoon or a 3 panel newspaper strip.

This isn't an invalid complaint, but I'd like to point out that Sons of Anarchy had a far more consistent and more thoroughly considered portrayal of its titular gang, and Riverdale is still the more entertaining show by far.

The Serpents are whatever they need to be, up to and including answering to a 15-year-old kid solely because he's the son of a high-ranking and well-respected member, and aside from one or two creaks in the machine that, for me, is covered by its all-around earnestly silly tone, there hasn't been much reason to really go any deeper than that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, that's basically what I'm saying... Riverdale has never been a show about "realism", and The Serpents being the type of n'er-do-well-ers that are like an old white lady's idea of what criminals are like is perfectly fitting for the purposes of Dark Archie.

Like, they are bikers who are also a street gang who are also mixed-gender and recruit and have a presence in high schools. Their initiation is... with one singular exception, probably tamer than most fraternities.

Jughead is able to gamble ownership of their clubhouse and hq after being in the gang for 2 days.

You just kinda gotta accept that the show's reality is shaped around the characters, and not the other way around.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Serpents have a significant gang member named Sweet Pea. It's not going for realism, it's just being silly. Occasionally it's overly heartfelt teen nonsense, occasionally it's a parody of that, occasionally it's a kid's property that's been updated by being inappropriately grim and macabre, and occasionally it's a joke about that. It's straddling that weird line between pisstake and earnestness that's where camp lives.

(Cheat sheet -- Batman: Gotham :: The OC : Riverdale)

And, tbh, I've not seen anything I'd class as filler this season, other than the Tales From The Other Side episode, which was just random and hilarious and completely justified its own existence. If you can't see the inherent value in Cheryl trying to Single White Female Josie (or whatever the gently caress she's trying to do), then I don't think the show works for you.

Also most TV is random dives into dead end plots that are hopefully entertaining for their own sake. That's like the point of television.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Counterpart’s pilot episode was excellent. It’s like an amalgam of Fringe, a La Carre novel and the bureaucracy from Terry Gilliam’s Brazil.

J.K. Simmons is great.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Unrelated to anything, I finally got around to watching 11.22.63, which was very good.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rhyno posted:

I have a very deep seated hatred of Debra Messing that I can not explain.

Here I was starting to think, maybe Rhyno isn't that insane after all, and welp.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

When I sub to Starz in late Feb for Ash VS The Evil Dead, I'm planning on marathoning Counterpart.

Speaking of Ash, first two seasons hit netflix today which took me by surprise as I didn't think Starz had an agreement with them anymore.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

raditts posted:

Here I was starting to think, maybe Rhyno isn't that insane after all, and welp.

I SAID I COULDN'T EXPLAIN IT

I saw on FB that NBC is bringing Cheers back.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Just reiterating that Chance s2 is, so far, a great followup to s1, without being a retread of the same thing.

I'm only on episode 4.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rhyno posted:

It's snappy sitcom with a cast of four who have amazing chemistry as a whole. It's good. If it's not for you, that's fine, but that doesn't make it a trash show imo.

I just don't see anything wrong with Will & Grace coming back, being actually good (if dated, but let's face it people watching W&G want that 90s sitcom feel) instead of a trash heap, and getting recognition.

Also I'm very glad Debra Messing has returned to her true calling: physical comedy and pratfalls tbh she's great at 'em

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

I SAID I COULDN'T EXPLAIN IT

I saw on FB that NBC is bringing Cheers back.

Rebootathon continues.

If Kirstie Alley's fat rear end is involved i'm out, regardless of Ted Danson.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

esperterra posted:

It's snappy sitcom with a cast of four who have amazing chemistry as a whole. It's good. If it's not for you, that's fine, but that doesn't make it a trash show imo.

I just don't see anything wrong with Will & Grace coming back, being actually good (if dated, but let's face it people watching W&G want that 90s sitcom feel) instead of a trash heap, and getting recognition.

Also I'm very glad Debra Messing has returned to her true calling: physical comedy and pratfalls tbh she's great at 'em

I loved Will and Grace growing up because it came around at a time when I was still pretty self-hating about liking other dudes and it was nice to see a show that treated gayness and being queer as different but still normal. I have a feeling it had that effect on other queer teens at the time, too.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Vanderdeath posted:

I loved Will and Grace growing up because it came around at a time when I was still pretty self-hating about liking other dudes and it was nice to see a show that treated gayness and being queer as different but still normal. I have a feeling it had that effect on other queer teens at the time, too.

Growing up as a queer teen I hated it. I didn't see any of myself in it and often felt like being queer was the joke of the characters.

This is growing up in the UK where it aired on Channel 4 and I think a lot of the promos had kind of a homophobic vibe.

Also I don't recall ever seeing any genuine moments of queer affection in the show even when Will or Jack were dating another guy.

The only relationships I remember being taken seriously were Graces.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Dec 12, 2017

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Quote is not edit. Sorry.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Dec 12, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

PriorMarcus posted:

Growing up as a queer teen I hated it. I didn't see any of myself in it and often felt like being queer was the joke of the characters.

This is growing up in the UK where it aired on Channel 4 and I think a lot of the promos had kind of a homophobic vibe.

Also I don't recall ever seeing any genuine moments of queer affection in the show even when Will or Jack were dating another guy.

The only relationships I remember being taken seriously were Graces.

All of this is true.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

People like Will and Grace because it was so different at the time. It's not actually funny.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Studio audience is like tv theater . Cram that poo poo with walnuts.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

esperterra posted:

Season 9 is amazing, it’s turned into the funniest comedy of the entire year tbh. The writers and four leads are such complete masters of their crafts.

It has also singlehandedly turned me around on the concept of revivals. I hope the revival of Roseanne is going to be just as good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
False alarm, it was just an article suggesting they bring Cheers back.

And NIGHT COURT.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/940582786301390849

What's hallmark gonna do when all the old ladies die

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers be good to your daughters too

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

zoux posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/940582786301390849

What's hallmark gonna do when all the old ladies die
Softcore variants on their existing formulae, why do you ask?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

PriorMarcus posted:

I have wonder if a gay person watching the show now would be offended, because being gay is the butt of the joke most of the times. That said isn't that pretty much par for the course of most sitcoms (being a nerd is the joke of BBT to being a hillbilly in the Beverly Hillbillies). I do understand completely why the show was groundbreaking at the time (and my wife loves the show), but in the end I found it to be a slightly better than average sitcom (and I hate 98% of all sitcoms). I feel the same way about Friends (which my wife also loved). Thank God for HBO Sunday Nights and other cable shows that have come along for the last 18 or so years. Right now her favorite two comedies are Silicon Valley and Futureman (still she is watching the new Will & Grace).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 12, 2017

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Gonz posted:

Counterpart’s pilot episode was excellent. It’s like an amalgam of Fringe, a La Carre novel and the bureaucracy from Terry Gilliam’s Brazil.

J.K. Simmons is great.

Why would you do this to yourself. I wanna watch it but it being good will only make waiting for Jan 28 seem that much longer.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rhyno posted:

False alarm, it was just an article suggesting they bring Cheers back.

And NIGHT COURT.

Night Court got a proper finale. It was on 30 Rock

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man so many good-rear end shows have started in these past couple months. No Activity, Runaways, and SMILF all rule, while the first ep of Happy! is very promising.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You should watch Mrs. Maisel. The lead is also like a super radiant 1950s movie star.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah I forgot about Maisel! I actually like it more than any of the ones I just mentioned.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mrs. Maisel is also so much better than the Gilmore Girls revival. I hope Amy Sherman never goes back to that dumpster fire. I hate Rory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The Librarians comes back tomorrow on TNT.

• Locked thread