Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Intervening ifs do not make spells or abilities get countered the way illegal targets do. They just make the ability not do anything on resolution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Same way pyroblast will resolve against a green target.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Don't scoop to a combo kill, always make them play it out.

Please don't do this on MTGO though because having to individually create like 40 copies of deceiver exarch is the worst.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Firebatgyro posted:

Please don't do this on MTGO though because having to individually create like 40 copies of deceiver exarch is the worst.

That seems like more incentive to make you play it out, not less.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

That seems like more incentive to make you play it out, not less.

yeah infinite combos on mtgo are trouble because if the other party doesn't concede on the spot you will time out and lose because you spent so much time executing each piece of the combo that you won't have enough time for a full game two or a game three at all

and obviously, why concede when you can win by not conceding

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Firebatgyro posted:

Oh yeah I don't use MODO, forgot about that.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I once played a guy online who comboed off with kitchen finks and did the cycle a couple of time, he told me I should scoop as he has the combo. I told him I didn't care how much life he gained as I planned to mill him out and he called me degenerate scum and quit.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i put together a binder for the first time in years this weekend and theres a real weird feeling when you put together your big pile of random edh poo poo from three or four years back that it turns out is actually pretty good now and also you have way more shocks than you thought

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

i put together a binder for the first time in years this weekend and theres a real weird feeling when you put together your big pile of random edh poo poo from three or four years back that it turns out is actually pretty good now and also you have way more shocks than you thought

Yep. I had this same pleasant surprise when I got back into the game during BFZ for the first time since before modern was a thing.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Sometimes I stare at a cluttered board reluctant to attack and screw something up and my opponent informs me I have lethal and scoops. I feel like they are 50/50 missing a chance for my dumb brain to misread something and give them a turn to stabilize.

Unless it's CRAAAAZY obvious (I have one or more creatures, you are at 1 life with an empty board and an empty grip and no Maze of Ith effect on your lands or w/e), make them play it out. If it's some weird combo-y wincon make them walk you through it.

IM admittedly not that informed O.

Yea I do that as well, after winning a few draft games where I thought a bunch, and then when I was about to pass because I didn't think my attacks were 100% safe, my opponent just scoops their cards up unprompted.

The scapeshift thing is kind of a different situation. Most people make them play it out until they say "target you with all the valakut triggers". Unless you know the rules interaction then it looks like you're objectively dead on board no matter what you or your opponent do. Making them continue to play it out would be like an opponent casting a lethal burn spell, but instead of scooping you let it resolve and hope that you're magically not dead afterwards.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Sometimes I stare at a cluttered board reluctant to attack and screw something up and my opponent informs me I have lethal and scoops. I feel like they are 50/50 missing a chance for my dumb brain to misread something and give them a turn to stabilize.

Unless it's CRAAAAZY obvious (I have one or more creatures, you are at 1 life with an empty board and an empty grip and no Maze of Ith effect on your lands or w/e), make them play it out. If it's some weird combo-y wincon make them walk you through it.

IM admittedly not that informed O.

This is why I play Approach in Standard.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The dreaded intervening "if" claims another victim :rip:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I should put together a binder now that I'm trying to be a little more choosy about which decks to build. Maybe one of those little four cards to a page guys, is there a goon-approved brand for those?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

I should put together a binder now that I'm trying to be a little more choosy about which decks to build. Maybe one of those little four cards to a page guys, is there a goon-approved brand for those?

I have an ultra-pro one that loads from the side, it’s perfect to store the cards I want to keep for other decks along with staples.

On the earlier discussion of tireless tracker started by ShaneB, I’ve found it to be really good in control matchups in abzan. If you stick one and generate even just two clues (which you should, with a fetch), it really helps to turn the corner when both players are topdecking or nearly. Getting one or two more chances to draw a goyf, grim flayer, or LotV to deal with a Geist late-game can often make the difference vs. their colonnades or whatever other singular threat they’re trying to close you out with.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

C-Euro posted:

I have a Z-Folder XL. It's great quality but honestly one of the more pricey ones. Sturdy leather frame with a strong zipper closer.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Procrastinator posted:

Also, the deck still had tinker -> darksteel colossus (maybe it was blightsteel?), so he was not win conditionless.

Tinker was banned from Legacy when the format was still called Type 1.5 in 2001. Tendrils of Agony was printed in 2003.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The professor did a recent review including this new Ultra Pro binder, and it seems the best for the price. I snagged one for $25 but the sellers that have it now are a little more:

https://www.amazon.com/Deck-Builders-Premium-PRO-Binder-Black/dp/B01DA81HYQ/

Mine hasn't arrived yet so I can't speak to it, but this link should work for the review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIIUzn-GqfI

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Star Man posted:

Tinker was banned from Legacy when the format was still called Type 1.5 in 2001. Tendrils of Agony was printed in 2003.

It was Vintage.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Hellsau posted:

It was Vintage.

So it was.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Anybody know if there's an Unstable checklist floating around out there? I bought a box and wanted to keep the packs together for redrafts, and I imagine that a checklist for each pack is the easiest way to keep track of that information.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Anybody know if there's an Unstable checklist floating around out there? I bought a box and wanted to keep the packs together for redrafts, and I imagine that a checklist for each pack is the easiest way to keep track of that information.

Like this? Keep in mind you'll manually have to track what version of Very Crpyitc Command, Ineffable Blessing, etc you have.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Lone Goat posted:

Like this? Keep in mind you'll manually have to track what version of Very Crpyitc Command, Ineffable Blessing, etc you have.

Stop using Magiccards.info unless you need to make proxies.

https://scryfall.com/sets/ust?order=set

Has images of the different versions of each card too.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Lone Goat posted:

I was hoping for something like the tournament deck checklists, which are much more printer-friendly. As for the variants, it's probably within the spirit of the set to move those around from pack to pack.

Edit:
Well, if it doesn't exist, I might crack & sleeve them ahead of time, keep the information on a spreadsheet, and hope my friends trust me to not try to game that information.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 11, 2017

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Couldn't you take a quick photo of the pack contents?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Star Man posted:

Stop using Magiccards.info unless you need to make proxies.

https://scryfall.com/sets/ust?order=set

Has images of the different versions of each card too.

I use Scryfall normally, but a checklist implies words only, not images, and I don't think Scryfall has that? oh they have one under Prices.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I was hoping for something like the tournament deck checklists, which are much more printer-friendly. As for the variants, it's probably within the spirit of the set to move those around from pack to pack.

Ohhh. Normally that'd be here but I guess demand is low for a tournament checklist for a format that will never have a deck check performed on it. Your best bet might be to make one yourself in Excel?

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Matsuri posted:

Highlight of the entire time:
My friend had a 2/2 Hand Homunculus on the battlefield from his Handy Dandy Clone Machine, and I had a 6/6 Mother Kangaroo. I played Hammer Helper to gain control of his hand and rolled a 6, making it an 8/2.
He said "god drat it I feel betrayed by my own hand", and I attacked with it.
Right after he accepted it, he was all "...wait, I could just remove my hand and it would die, right?"
I said "well... yes, but you didn't do it in response to me gaining control of it. I control your hand now!".
"gently caress you."

And that's how I smacked my friend for 14, unblocked, with his own hand under my control. :getin:

This is the greatest thing.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

C-Euro posted:

ultra pro are like 12-15 depending on where you get them, or 20 for the 9 pocket ones

i went with a nine because with the rate i build and tear apart poo poo its just not feasible to have a small one. as it is, i might pick one of the small ones up for my legendary stuff, because i mostly play and trade with edh playersand edh players like to go oooooh look at that

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I didn't think it would happen ever, but I had an argument tonight with someone over Book Burning. He was arguing with his friend, and they'd called over a store employee to help, and then argued with the employee. I overheard and came over, arguing a bit and telling him to read it out loud as one sentence instead of pausing where the line break was, which he failed at doing twice. I asked him if he really thought it was the one card in the game that required an opponent to carry the card with them in their pocket at all times just so they "have Book Burning" and he said yes, so I had his friend pull up the Oracle text.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Sarcastro posted:

This is the greatest thing.

I think playing Unstable was the most my friend and I have laughed together since college. It was a fantastic thing.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering what the best approach is to maximize the value of the foil forest I pulled. It's currently rising in value as I've kept an eye on it on TCGplayer, almost up to $50 market price. I went to an LGS today to see what I could get out of it and was offered $27 cash or $38 store credit, which, while still absurd for a basic land, isn't optimal. Is there somewhere where I can get closer to market value in cash or trade?

I also realized something-- I have 19 Unstable lands (including the foil), but only opened 18 packs, and I remembered that the foil pack had both a regular basic land and the foil one in a different place. Does that mean they're printed separately, and inserted as a rare?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Got to draft Unstable tonight and boy howdy is it a fun experience!

Played 4-color good stuff with Grusilda, X, and the squirrel link guy and a bunch of contraptions. I discovered Grusilda can grab creatures from any graveyard - does not have to be in your game!

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It's inserted as a foil, not a rare. You would have gotten a regular rare as well.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

odiv posted:

It's inserted as a foil, not a rare. You would have gotten a regular rare as well.

Hmm, all right. I don't remember what rare I got in that pack, I guess. It was kind of overshadowed by the land. That, and I wasn't the most sober at the time so my memory is hazy and I don't open packs or draft like, ever.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I am a terrible person

Edit: I need a foil Buzzbark. It looks so nice.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 12, 2017

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

black potus posted:

Same way pyroblast will resolve against a green target.

a great example of this is that you can remand stuff that cant be countered to cycle remand.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Balon posted:

. I discovered Grusilda can grab creatures from any graveyard - does not have to be in your game!

I don't think this is right.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Drafted a Summon the Pack, so used an Iconic Masters pack I had floating around.

We were topdecking in a stalemate when I cast it.
Hit Earth Elemental, Stalwart Aven, Jace's Phantasm, Dragon's Egg, Rotfeaster Maggot, Greater Basilisk, Jhessian Thief, Furnace Whelp, Thrill-Kill Assassin, Ajani's Pridemate, Corpsejack Menace, Shriekgeist (foil), and Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite.

Mostly wipes his board, the rest get annihilated on the swing which gets him down from nearly 100 life to 7 on the swing, and he topdecked Oddly Uneven destroying everything but the Shriekgeist and the token from Dragon's Egg.

Ridiculous good fun.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
That does remind me-- while drafting Unstable with my friend was great, it's definitely something more inclined to be drafted at a store. I pulled Summon the Pack too but sadly was unable to use it since I didn't have any spare packs laying around.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

PJOmega posted:

I don't think this is right.

No it's true.

Also you can Lightning Bolt things in the game next to you. It just says 'target creature' not 'target creature you or an opponent controls'

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

BJPaskoff posted:

I didn't think it would happen ever, but I had an argument tonight with someone over Book Burning. He was arguing with his friend, and they'd called over a store employee to help, and then argued with the employee. I overheard and came over, arguing a bit and telling him to read it out loud as one sentence instead of pausing where the line break was, which he failed at doing twice. I asked him if he really thought it was the one card in the game that required an opponent to carry the card with them in their pocket at all times just so they "have Book Burning" and he said yes, so I had his friend pull up the Oracle text.

Book Burning is wrong, please respect books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Whoever bought up all the Book Burnings would be invincible