Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barudak
May 7, 2007

Honestly the film can do anything they want so long as Rey's parents are complete nobodies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ive not seen a single spoiler, trailer or piece of advertising with laura dern on it outside of her being on i think kimmel with 8 of the other actors. Was she cut from the movie?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

banned from Starbucks posted:

Ive not seen a single spoiler, trailer or piece of advertising with laura dern on it outside of her being on i think kimmel with 8 of the other actors. Was she cut from the movie?

She was at the premiere the other night, and has been doing all sorts of international press for the movie. it's probably safe to say her role is intact. It's probably just that they want to keep her character plot under wraps.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I think he's referring to the fact that even the people posting spoilers seem to have forgotten she's in this movie.

Which is usually a sign that a character isn't doing anything interesting or important and it's questionable why they're even in the movie in the first place

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Apparently she's a Republic bigwig who survived the destruction of the government because she was elsewhere. She supposedly shows up and starts calling the shots after the botched evacuation of D'Qar.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
It's crazy to me that Benicio Del Toro and Laura Dern are in this film and seemingly do nothing important. It's like they tried to one-up Oscar Isaac in the first film.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH SNOKE GETS MURKED

quote:

ViewerAnon[S] 6 hours ago

You need to know the layout of the scene. Snoke is on his throne. Rey is standing in the center of the room. Kylo is behind her, kneeling with his lightsaber on the floor.

Rey pulls Anakin's saber to her with the Force, but Snoke casually grabs it and sets it next to him (Snoke is REALLY powerful - Rey and Kylo are nothing next to him). He then orders Kylo to kill Rey. Rey tells him he has a choice and doesn't have to do this.

Snoke laughs at her. He sees inside Kylo's mind at all times. There's no way he could be betrayed.

Kylo picks up his lightsaber as Snoke taunts Rey about Kylo's thoughts. Resolute. No conflict. About to turn the saber on.

Except Kylo is manipulating Anakin's saber. He turns it toward Snoke and turns it on with the Force. It slices through Snoke at waist/chest level. Snoke has a moment of pure shock, then his upper piece falls away from his lower piece.

Rian Johnson swervin' err'ybody with this drat movie.

quote:

ViewerAnon 4 hours ago

After Snoke's death, Kylo wants to send the fleet to Crait. Hux is PISSED - how dare he take control of his military. "The Supreme Leader is dead!"

Kylo force chokes the poo poo out of him, enough to make Hux say, "Long live the Supreme Leader."

If any of that is true, then....man.

Man.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 12, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

The Cameo posted:

I think he's referring to the fact that even the people posting spoilers seem to have forgotten she's in this movie.

Which is usually a sign that a character isn't doing anything interesting or important and it's questionable why they're even in the movie in the first place

It sounds like Poe, Rinn and the new Asian character who I have forgotten the name of are all pretty extraneous, as well (Finn and new girl have to find a way to disable the First Order tracking but Kylo tracks them to Crait anyway, soo...?) A few people have said that there are characters that don't really do much and the middle of the film is the weakest part.

Gonz posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH SNOKE GETS MURKED

I'd say "I want to know how the Star Wars fans who insisted that the new EU was building Snoke up to be The Biggest Bad who even Palpatine was wary of are taking this" but you can just look at the various Star Wars Reddits. It's like finding out Santa isn't real. "How could the Story Group do this to us!"

But then again, that comes back to my 'Wow, this new trilogy is cynical as gently caress' thought.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 12, 2017

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

quote:

ViewerAnon[S] 4 hours ago

They're (Kylo and Rey) together for the last half of the second act, onboard the Supremacy. But after the death of Snoke, Kylo decides to take control of the First Order. They both reach for Anakin's lightsaber, but it's frozen between them - eventually it snaps in half.

An explosion knocks them out. When Kylo wakes up Rey is gone.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

You know what, I’m down with Snoke going out like a bitch.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Ben Chewbacca Solo killing Snoke and taking over is a great idea and saves us from JJ's bargain bin Throne Room Scene.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Somehow this sounds even worse than the previous "semi-legitimate" leaks where they were trying to find the old separatist droid armies. It's almost like they realized it was gonna make billions regardless and just focused on whatever would make epic trailers and pre-release intrigue to just fill the seats. SW has always been way more interesting when it was about about X-Wings blowing poo poo up and gun fights so I'm glad I got that in Rogue One and am free to put this to bed because this trilogy is likely gonna be loving wretched. gently caress it, recast Leia if they hosed up so bad they need a way out.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Dishwasher posted:

Somehow this sounds even worse than the previous "semi-legitimate" leaks where they were trying to find the old separatist droid armies. It's almost like they realized it was gonna make billions regardless and just focused on whatever would make epic trailers and pre-release intrigue to just fill the seats. SW has always been way more interesting when it was about about X-Wings blowing poo poo up and gun fights so I'm glad I got that in Rogue One and am free to put this to bed because this trilogy is likely gonna be loving wretched. gently caress it, recast Leia if they hosed up so bad they need a way out.

I'm actually quite sad that Hayden Christensen isn't in it. At this point, there is no doubt in my mind that Disney will reboot the prequels as soon as Lucas is gone.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 12, 2017

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Dishwasher posted:

Actually, SW was always more interesting when it had compelling characters moving through an interesting and creative storyline.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

For better or worse, I respect that they're not playing things completely safe at least. It would have been very, very easy to keep Luke kicking around as undefeatable fan service god man a la the old canon and I was strongly expecting it. Likewise for Snoke as Palpatine 2, at least through the next movie. Those are weirdly non-Disney decisions, so even if the movie is trash I respect Johnson for trying and getting away with it.

However, it does strongly enhance the 'chaos reigns, kill you're parents, welcome to nightmare universe' feel that was creeping on the edge of TFA which I imagine will rub people the wrong way even if the movie can make it feel convincing.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

For better or worse, I respect that they're not playing things completely safe at least. It would have been very, very easy to keep Luke kicking around as undefeatable fan service god man a la the old canon and I was strongly expecting it. Likewise for Snoke as Palpatine 2, at least through the next movie. Those are weirdly non-Disney decisions, so even if the movie is trash I respect Johnson for trying and getting away with it.

However, it does strongly enhance the 'chaos reigns, kill you're parents, welcome to nightmare universe' feel that was creeping on the edge of TFA which I imagine will rub people the wrong way even if the movie can make it feel convincing.

Slowly veering into "THIS AIN'T YO DADDY'S STAR WARS" territory

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Jiro posted:

Slowly veering into "THIS AIN'T YO DADDY'S STAR WARS" territory

After the safe nostalgia of TFW I’m okay with this.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Han dead, Luke dead, Leia... whatever they're doing with that.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Nothing about these spoilers sounds remotely bad.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

Han dead, Luke dead, Leia... whatever they're doing with that.

Probably have a heart attack on her way to...........oh I dunno let's say Moe's.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Is the porg the "Last Jedi"?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Just existing in 2017 is "kill you are parents, welcome to hellworld" enough for me, don't really have a want for it in my Star Wars.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Completely eliding all the mysteries is pretty hilarious (although also really boring), but more hilarious still will be what JJ does when he takes over again.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

porfiria posted:

Completely eliding all the mysteries is pretty hilarious (although also really boring), but more hilarious still will be what JJ does when he takes over again.

Cut to a church with everyone milling about waiting somewhere in Hawaii, only to reveal that everyone is there except Leia as she is still alive guarding the Island. Everyone else has died and will travel on to Force Heaven.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I mean what do you do with a pointless derivative nothing character like Snoke if you can't find a satisfying """"mystery"""" to justify his existence? Between bad options it's probably better to rip off the bandaid and introduce an actual villain than to muddle along with him, I guess

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

porfiria posted:

Snoke comes back, obviously.

Like, I hated JJ's mystery boxes and thought they were the worst part of TFA, but just basically blowing them all up and shrugging is kind of weak, too. It makes TFA this strangely pointless film.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The better option would of course have been to not pointlessly shoehorn The Emperor, Again Except Stupider into a story in which he didn't really fit. But we're beyond revising that, obviously, so a forceful pivot to Ben Ren that gets a good surprise out of the audience will have to do

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The better option would of course have been to not pointlessly shoehorn The Emperor, Again Except Stupider into a story in which he didn't really fit. But we're beyond revising that, obviously, so a forceful pivot to Ben Ren that gets a good surprise out of the audience will have to do

Yeah, absolutely.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

DrNutt posted:

Just existing in 2017 is "kill you are parents, welcome to hellworld" enough for me, don't really have a want for it in my Star Wars.
Yeah, leaving aside its accuracy or lack thereof, it's become trite.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In the grim darkness of the stars, there are only wars

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

In the grim darkness of the stars, there are only wars

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS STAR WARS AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, LUKE SKYWALKER. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
After reading all these leaks, I think Disney's shifting toward a post-trilogy future where people able to use the Force are everywhere. Like, a new order is established without Luke having to guide them just because after his sacrifice thousands of people around the universe realize they can move poo poo with their minds.

It would certainly allow them to make a bunch of stories that make use the franchise's signature concept, without having to explain why in the face of it's known scarcity.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

The thing is, the idea of perpetual facepalm in motion Kylo Ren running the First Order makes me want an Episode IX in which the heroes have to survive and limit the damage while Ren proceeds to run the First Order into the ground hard, but being a danger to everyone around in the process. Just make the Empire-analogue as uncool as possible in it's failure. I doubt we'd get this from J.J. though.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

This is the universe where apparently a weird backwards rump state run by a nonsensical mystery lump man can build a weapon far superior to the death star and then have it be destroyed with no apparent consequences on their wartime footing whatsoever. I think we're beyond kylo ren's management style having any impact on their function. The first order will always be as overwhelmingly powerful as is necessary to drive a script, until they aren't at the very end

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The better option would of course have been to not pointlessly shoehorn The Emperor, Again Except Stupider into a story in which he didn't really fit.

The entire First Order is "what if the Empire, but f00kin HUUUUUUUUGE" which I have to say really grinds at me. How the hell did a small faction of Imperial loyalists that survived at the rim of the galaxy for 30 years manage to manufacture an array of weapons that is twenty bazillions gajillions times bigger and more powerful than what the Empire could do over a similarly long term of absolute rule?

I was one of those kids that would draw imaginary space battles on a blank piece of paper, making bigger and bigger boxes and scribbling more and more and more lines of ink representing the exchange of fire between these increasingly larger vessels. The battle at the end of Episode 2 reminded me of that, but the First Order feels like it was taken seriously.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Craptacular! posted:

The entire First Order is "what if the Empire, but f00kin HUUUUUUUUGE" which I have to say really grinds at me. How the hell did a small faction of Imperial loyalists that survived at the rim of the galaxy for 30 years manage to manufacture an array of weapons that is twenty bazillions gajillions times bigger and more powerful than what the Empire could do over a similarly long term of absolute rule?

I was one of those kids that would draw imaginary space battles on a blank piece of paper, making bigger and bigger boxes and scribbling more and more and more lines of ink representing the exchange of fire between these increasingly larger vessels. The battle at the end of Episode 2 reminded me of that, but the First Order feels like it was taken seriously.

they didnt wanna do a fascist insurgency and death squads. Leia needs to be a rebel AGAIN

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Wild Horses posted:

they didnt wanna do a fascist insurgency and death squads. Leia needs to be a rebel AGAIN

Apparently, there's a line in the film where Phasma calls Finn scum and he's all "REBEL scum :smug:" and ugghghhhh

All the people saying it's like a Marvel film...

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
the RLM nerd crew video said that finn and phasma have a long winded battle then finn dies but idk if they were trolling or not (they did say luke dies and the film ends with kylo vs rey i think maybe they weren't really talking about the movie seriously)

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

drjuggalo posted:

the RLM nerd crew video said that finn and phasma have a long winded battle then finn dies but idk if they were trolling or not (they did say luke dies and the film ends with kylo vs rey i think maybe they weren't really talking about the movie seriously)

Finn and Phasma do fight. Finn wins and Phasma falls off a cliff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

After reading all these leaks, I think Disney's shifting toward a post-trilogy future where people able to use the Force are everywhere. Like, a new order is established without Luke having to guide them just because after his sacrifice thousands of people around the universe realize they can move poo poo with their minds.

It would certainly allow them to make a bunch of stories that make use the franchise's signature concept, without having to explain why in the face of it's known scarcity.
This would be pretty cool IMO, certainly cooler than just "and as it turns out, the entire thing was a bad idea, and we should just have FPS games on slightly exotic planetary environments."

I guess Maz kind of presaged an outcome like that.

• Locked thread