Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Spanish Matlock posted:

You can do squats at the Zhongshan gym, and the one at Chiang Kai-Shek memorial hall. The only gated off areas I've seen are the weird mat room at CKS and the ladies only don't-look-at-my-butt area at same.

I must have missed that at the Zhongshan one. At the Shilin one they had the squat area gated off, no using the bar without a trainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

The public gyms often gate off the squat cage and bars unless you’re with a trainer, for sad but understandable reasons.

This is the dumbest poo poo I’ve heard.

Fortunately did some more searching and just found a crossfit near more or less near my office that supposedly has barbells and all and see some comments from people saying they went as visitors!

Thanks for the other gym recs, I’ll check them out if I can’t use this crossfit place.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Yo get me a box of those peanut butter rolls please? Hiwalks right?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

caberham posted:

Yo get me a box of those peanut butter rolls please? Hiwalks right?

Yeah 海邊走走, I’ll grab a box

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Btw the easiest way to get to Hualien from Singapore is with a stopover in HK so I may be passing by your hood a fair amount next year

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

gently caress yeah. I know last time I was poo poo and on the phone most of the time, I'd like to have a proper evening with you again

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

simplefish posted:

gently caress yeah. I know last time I was poo poo and on the phone most of the time, I'd like to have a proper evening with you again

Sitting around with you on the streets of I think TST? and getting pissed off conbini tall boys then leaking it out in a rat infested alley is still one of my fondest memories from my first HK trip

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Nah in the flat, I turned up late Sunday night

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Spent a week in Taipei with a day in Jiufen, must say I enjoyed it the most out of all the Taipei trips I’ve taken.

First few days were mostly just work and gym. Stayed at an AirBnB at Da-an, and ended up going to Crossfit LOGA and doing some drop-ins which are expensive at 1k a pop but the facility was nice and staff was really accommodating.

Then went to Jiufen and the surrounding area for a day and a night. Bit crowded with all the tourists but not too unmanageable and we happened be there on Friday for the one sunny day in last stretch.

Came back and stayed in the Zhongxiao area, which was a much more commercial and westernized area than I had been in Taipei in the last trips, and it was nice. Went to a couple good Italian restaurants and some good bars; ABV for beer and Placebo for some cocktails.

Looking forward to coming back again.

Beyond Satire
Oct 18, 2014
Someone in A/T suggested this thread as a good place to re-post my question

I'm looking for the name of a dish I recently tried in Taiwan. Small cubes of beef, cooked over a rack with a blow torch. You can get different seasonings, flavours and toppings and it's sold in night markets and by street vendors. We just called it 'blow torch beef' and googling that term gets lots of images and youtube clips but I cant seem to find either a Mandarin or English name for it. Anyone know?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
There isn’t a specific name that I know of, they’re beef cubes. I GIS’d one of the stalls and the sign says 大焰骰子牛 but that’s just “large flame diced beef”

Beyond Satire
Oct 18, 2014
Ha! Not quite what I expected but I guess it accurately describes what you're getting. Thanks.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are there any low cost airlines flying from/to Taiwan? I think I'll have enough time to dash somewhere else for a shot visit, but would need to decide now if I should request a multiple entry visa.

duckfarts posted:

i think the south is usually fine anyway if it's that big an issue
Thanks. It's not that big of an issue but I got scared off a bit when everyone said how much it would suck. I just don't want to be miserable on my vacation walking outside, I can do that here for free! :v:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Beyond Satire posted:

Someone in A/T suggested this thread as a good place to re-post my question

I'm looking for the name of a dish I recently tried in Taiwan. Small cubes of beef, cooked over a rack with a blow torch. You can get different seasonings, flavours and toppings and it's sold in night markets and by street vendors. We just called it 'blow torch beef' and googling that term gets lots of images and youtube clips but I cant seem to find either a Mandarin or English name for it. Anyone know?

poo poo I didn't see this for a bit, but I'm p sure it's a Japanese thing originally and if you search for "saikoro steak" it shows up a bunch (the Chinese name basically means flamed-grilled dice steak, and saikoro is Japanese for dice)

sub supau fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 27, 2017

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Are there any low cost airlines flying from/to Taiwan? I think I'll have enough time to dash somewhere else for a shot visit, but would need to decide now if I should request a multiple entry visa.
I'm p sure Air Asia and Tiger Air fly to/from Taiwan.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TetsuoTW posted:

I'm p sure Air Asia and Tiger Air fly to/from Taiwan.
Thanks! Booked myself a week in Macao/HK with Tiger Air, been meaning to go there for ages.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I'm heading to Taiwan for the first time around February/March to visit family. I believe they live in/near Sanxia. Other than the horror story mosquitos that you guys apparently have year round according to my mom, what can I expect around that time? How's the public transportation? I absolutely hate driving, but do have a license (do US licenses actually matter out of the US?) if I have to. Anywhere I should definitely go and see while I'm there?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I'm heading to Taiwan for the first time around February/March to visit family. I believe they live in/near Sanxia. Other than the horror story mosquitos that you guys apparently have year round according to my mom, what can I expect around that time? How's the public transportation? I absolutely hate driving, but do have a license (do US licenses actually matter out of the US?) if I have to. Anywhere I should definitely go and see while I'm there?

Your license isn’t valid in Taiwan unless you go do something at the Taiwanese DMV to sort out an international license (I think that’s how it works, haven’t done it myself). Public transportation is pretty good in Taipei, but depending on where in Sanxia they live they might not be super close to a bus line. If you’re there at the end of February then I think you’ll miss the Chinese New Year traffic, so good for you.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

You get your International Driving Permit in your home country, then you bring that to the country you're visiting, then you can drive on a short-term basis. Bad China (the PRC) does not recognise the IDP.

Google tells me the AAA handle IDP applications in the US, and that Taiwan lets you drive on an IDP for your first 30 days in country NB: not 30 days from when you start driving there, 30 days from entering Taiwan. (if you get pulled over by a cop, I presume they check your passport)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I lived in Sanxia for five years. Ask me anything. Also there's another goon in Sanxia who rarely posts but is still there.

Public transport in Sanxia is fine. Certain buses at certain times of the day fill up immediately and they only come every 20 minutes. So if you want to take a bus from Sanxia all the way to 101, don't do it during commuting hours or first thing on the weekend. But buses to the MRT at Yongning or Banqiao come every 5 to 10 minutes. Again, you might have to wait for a bus or two during commuter hours since the seats fill up and any bus that uses the expressway won't let people stand. But in the middle of the day or evening you should be fine (people take buses out of Sanxia in the morning, and back to Sanxia in the evening, so if you get off the MRT in rush hour you'll have to wait to get a bus back to town).

The buses do big circuits through Sanxia, so I recommend walking to the hospital next to the expressway and getting on there since from the hospital to Yongning is like 7 minutes in good traffic.

In a crunch you can circumvent all of this by just taking a taxi.

There's one bar in Sanxia. It's called Number 56 and it's primarily a place to get wasted and play darts. Tell the bartender 弗蘭克 or 雷莫凡 sent you. No one will speak English and most of them will prefer to speak Taiwanese. Occasionally there's striptease.

Oh and Sanxia is small enough that you can walk from one side to the other in like 20 minutes so don't worry about commuting within Sanxia.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I'm in Sanxia, so make that two goons (unless you're talking about me? I don't think so, but you never know). The one caveat to what you said is that Sanxia is actually a pretty dang big district when you factor in all the mountains and sparsely populated areas. It's the second biggest by area of all the districts in New Taipei City. Definitely, the urban portion of Sanxia is small and that's probably where 99% of people are at, but you never know, it's also entirely possible that TastyLemonDrop's family lives somewhere out in the boondocks.

edit: I like to say "you never know" apparently. you never know :shobon:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I'm in Sanxia, so make that two goons (unless you're talking about me? I don't think so, but you never know). The one caveat to what you said is that Sanxia is actually a pretty dang big district when you factor in all the mountains and sparsely populated areas. It's the second biggest by area of all the districts in New Taipei City. Definitely, the urban portion of Sanxia is small and that's probably where 99% of people are at, but you never know, it's also entirely possible that TastyLemonDrop's family lives somewhere out in the boondocks.

edit: I like to say "you never know" apparently. you never know :shobon:

Oh you finally made it to Sanxia? I remember you got as close as Yingge. Guess that must have happened since I left a few years ago.

You're right, though. Sanxia in absolute terms is loving huge. But the vast majority of people live in a tiny little area. If he's out of the urban area, he may actually be in a place with very limited public transport or roaming taxis so it's worth mentioning. But he could also be in the area between Tucheng and Sanxia where he can grab a 706 or 705 every couple of minutes and get to the MRT.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I'm on the :cool: side of the Dahan River and totally in love with all the MRT construction everywhere.

I only mention Sanxia's vastness because I never thought about it much myself until I found out one of my Taiwanese friends also lived "in" Sanxia. Getting out to that house was one hell of a journey, lemme tell ya.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Thanks for the info so far. I've got no idea where they are exactly, but I don't intend on staying in just one area while I'm in another country anyway. I'll probably be renting an airbnb within Taipei proper or something. What's worth going out of the way to see in Taiwan? I've got a camera that needs more pictures. Places with good food is obviously a draw, but I feel like that's way less a focus since there are a lot of Taiwanese restaurants where I currently live.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just landed in Taipei! I regret a bit getting out to Shanghai for a few hours on my layover because what I've seen (people's suqare, the bund) makes Taipei look like a dump, but I'm sure it'll get better one I get out and see it more :v:

Does anyone have experience with this car rental company: http://www.cheapcartaiwan.com Obviously not a very big/professional operation but pricing in most others is kind of nuts, I didn't expect that TBH.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Cool, shoot one of us a pm if you want to hang out

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

mobby_6kl posted:

Taipei, a dump

This is going to depend entirely on where in Taipei you go and what you're looking for. A lot of of Taipei is old, but where it wasn't built with empty oil cans, it's in fairly good condition. There are some neat historical sites and older neighborhoods and some areas preserved from the Japanese colonial period as well. It's rich in history even if it isn't spectacular in architecture. The new stuff is really great though. Check out the area around Taipei 101.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

mobby_6kl posted:

Just landed in Taipei! I regret a bit getting out to Shanghai for a few hours on my layover because what I've seen (people's suqare, the bund) makes Taipei look like a dump, but I'm sure it'll get better one I get out and see it more :v:

Does anyone have experience with this car rental company: http://www.cheapcartaiwan.com Obviously not a very big/professional operation but pricing in most others is kind of nuts, I didn't expect that TBH.

I had the opposite experience, I was just in Shanghai for a day or so but it seemed like a garbage filled urban wasteland compared to Taipei's clean streets and abundant greenery.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

man gently caress 101 and poo poo go to like Huashan, Songshan Cultural & Creative Park, that walkway from Minquan W Rd MRT down to Zhongshan, wander around Minsheng Community a bit, hit up Bopiliao, wander round the Flora Expo park, go up Maokong, if you gotta hit 101 go south a little ways and visit 44 South Village.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TetsuoTW posted:

man gently caress 101 and poo poo go to like Huashan, Songshan Cultural & Creative Park, that walkway from Minquan W Rd MRT down to Zhongshan, wander around Minsheng Community a bit, hit up Bopiliao, wander round the Flora Expo park, go up Maokong, if you gotta hit 101 go south a little ways and visit 44 South Village.

I only mention it because if you are expecting modern buildings and poo poo that's what the 101 area has to offer. But if you want character, yeah go and do anything you mentioned. I could just as easily have said, "Go to downtown Banqiao."

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Spanish Matlock posted:

I had the opposite experience, I was just in Shanghai for a day or so but it seemed like a garbage filled urban wasteland compared to Taipei's clean streets and abundant greenery.

Really? What part of Shanghai were you in? Shanghai's air is god awful and Taipei is for sure nicer in a lot of ways but it deffo had way more garbage and litter than Shanghai or other big mainland cities every time I've been there. That's not really a knock to Taipei cuz most cities in Europe and North America are the same, it's the army of street cleaners the CCP employs to keep unemployment down among older people that does a really good job of keeping streets clean in cities.

Rural China, tho, has some real nightmares when it comes to this.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

I only mention it because if you are expecting modern buildings and poo poo that's what the 101 area has to offer. But if you want character, yeah go and do anything you mentioned. I could just as easily have said, "Go to downtown Banqiao."

yeah fair i just feel like if you want some blade runner rear end poo poo then taipei is going to leave you feeling disappointed because the parts that are modern are generic as gently caress for the most part beyond maybe 101's "stacked chinese takeout" look and that one twisty-rear end building that might be finished by now. if you want big city aesthetics go to like hong kong or something.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

TetsuoTW posted:

yeah fair i just feel like if you want some blade runner rear end poo poo then taipei is going to leave you feeling disappointed because the parts that are modern are generic as gently caress for the most part beyond maybe 101's "stacked chinese takeout" look and that one twisty-rear end building that might be finished by now. if you want big city aesthetics go to like hong kong or something.

Reallly isn’t blade runner poo poo the combination of run down low tech ghetto looking places right alongside modern high tech? You could argue that Taipei is right up that alley.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

LimburgLimbo posted:

Reallly isn’t blade runner poo poo the combination of run down low tech ghetto looking places right alongside modern high tech? You could argue that Taipei is right up that alley.

Not cramped and chaotic enough. Streets in Taipei are also quite brightly lit

I would pick bangkok to be your blade runner setting with the crazy amount of advertising and energy

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
There are some Blade Runner-y places in Taipei, like night markets, but on the whole it’s not quite that vibe.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
You get a bit of Blade Runner zooming around on the elevated express roads that cut through Taipei at night with all the billboards and neon 檳榔 signs at every exit.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
drat you guys weren't kidding when you said it would rain all the time, it was just about perfect autumn afternoon yesterday by my standards but today sucked so far. Thankfully I was too jetlagged anyway to do much of anything other than sleep and catch up on emails.

Bangkok was definitely the most Blade Runner, downtown Shanghai is too clean at least where I've been. I went to the main rail station yesterday, passing the Ningxia market, and it was all very pleasant. Had some awesome pepper cakes too! Any tips for good beef noodles in the area?

Pirate Radar posted:

Cool, shoot one of us a pm if you want to hang out
I don't have PMs unfortunately but I'll get a local sim today hopefully (one store told me they were sold out yesterday :stare:). Who else is lives here? I'd love to get a snack/drink and hang out.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
There’s a bunch of us here in Taipei. If you already have Line you can get one of us to add you as a friend and get into the group that way?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'll be in town on Saturday night and then again after the 21st for a few more days as well. Panda, how about that beer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just installed Line, the nickname is the same as here and the number is 966-270-467. (What a pain in the rear end that was, Chunghwa did in fact ran out of new numbers but another company required two IDs and took an actual photo of me for a prepaid sim. Is this paranoia because of PRC spies or something?)

TetsuoTW posted:

Some good suggestions here, I was near 101 but it was cloudy so made no sense to go up. Haushan, Songshan and 44 South Village were pretty cool, though the latter was apparently mostly closed other than the store/restaurant. I'm actually staying near Minquan station so that area is pretty familiar. Is Tamsui/Fort San Damingo worth a visit? I met some Korean guy who recommended

Any of you are computer nerds? I stopped by the Digital Plaza since it was near Haushan but it seemed kind of expensive - most of the graphics cards and CPUs were pretty much the same as back home, and that's including minimum 2 year warranties and 21% VAT.