Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Snow Crash is baller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Cnut the Great posted:

This write-up does a pretty good job of detailing everything wrong with it (careful, there are spoilers for the entire series):

http://ferretbrain.com/articles/article-751

My takeaway from this is that Rothfuss is Piers Anthony 2.0, minus puns.

The Dennis System posted:

Snow Crash is baller.

This guy gets it.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I’m with some other poster a few pages back. I read Ready Player One at the recommendation of a friend and I enjoyed it at the time. No trouble finishing it. It was cheesy as gently caress, but it didn’t seem terrible.

Time passed and it didn’t do as well on a re-read. It’s still a little perplexing to me how HATED it is though. I’ve read far, far worse.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Because it's being made into a major movie by Stephen Spielberg. It's a 'of all the projects this is the one?' moment.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

^^ Also because of all the people who think this book is really good and that it got all good reviews, when it's mostly just embarassing trash. Though it can be an entertaining read.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Holy poo poo. Does this guy not know how to make allusions? Does he not realize that clinically explaining every reference kills the effect and is boring as poo poo to read? Like, even if you were a nerd who loved everything being referenced, why would you want to read a novel's worth of IMDB summaries of Blade Runner or Ghostbusters or whatever?

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
holy poo poo this book is written horribly

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
target audience:

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
You know I half wonder if Spielberg made this movie cause his ego was big enough that he thinks he can turn this terrible popular book into a decent movie. Like what makes the books so bad its the main character is constantly jerking himself off about the 80s and explaining everything to the reader. A movie would just have the main character DO stuff while the references and poo poo happen around him.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
this is the only thing I can think about after reading this book:

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

lemon-lyme disease posted:

I’m with some other poster a few pages back. I read Ready Player One at the recommendation of a friend and I enjoyed it at the time. No trouble finishing it. It was cheesy as gently caress, but it didn’t seem terrible.

Time passed and it didn’t do as well on a re-read. It’s still a little perplexing to me how HATED it is though. I’ve read far, far worse.

It's like how the Big Bang Theory is a bad show, but there are many worse, but then it wins billions of awards and every acquaintance or relative you have says "hey, you work on a computer and like nerd stuff, right? You have GOT to watch this show it's about people like you!!"

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

A couple of the guys from RiffTrax did a podcast about the book recently called 372 Pages We'll Never Get Back.

It's a great listen.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Canned Panda posted:

A couple of the guys from RiffTrax did a podcast about the book recently called 372 Pages We'll Never Get Back.

It's a great listen.

lol it's only 372 pages?

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

DoctorJones posted:

Disregard what that dummy wrote and read it. NotW is fantastic.

The dream girl who friendzones the nice guy for jerks is LITERALLY a whore.

I kinda liked the books, but his realtionships with women are textbook "nice guy" bullshit.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

The Dennis System posted:

Snow Crash is baller.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

esperterra posted:

Redwall is DOPE and Redwall/Mattimeo are by far not the best of the series imo.

That said, they are books for literal children. They're pretty metal af and a lot of people get hosed up in violent ways tho so still dope. Also GODDAMN the food descriptions gently caress just thinking about them makes me hungry!!!

But yeah, they're kids books. I still pick them up every now and then, mb ur gf just has nostalgia.

oh also they have the horrible side effect of furries loving them, so there's that

e: mb ur gf is a furry

oh she hates the furries. nah its nostalgia, basicaly she is stuck at home in lovely job she hates and she can't get into the woods everyday like she used to when she lived in another state. so she kinda rereads this stuff. i like the books enough. i got her the dragon age book series because yeah its meh but she might like it and then she might get interested in games.

esperterra posted:

Salamandastron is so good! Anything dealing with the Badgers is dope as hell. Outcast and Muriel are really good, too, and I got super into Mossflower and all the books about Martin. Boy went through some poo poo. Marlfox was p cool, too. tbh I had no complaints about any of them, they're all very easy reads and p fun adventures full of romance, death, spoops, no seriously a lot of violent bloody murder, camradarie and the importance of being a good person, doing the right thing, even if you got mad flaws, man.

Redwall is super good anyone with kids should encourage them to read 'em if they're remotely into swords and knights and poo poo.

oh yeah its good poo poo. i need to read more of them sometime. maybe over break.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
I liked Redwall stuff, and then at some point the switch flipped and i found them unreadable which was sad because I remember thoroughly enjoying stories about rabbits and badgers that could wreck poo poo

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh she hates the furries. nah its nostalgia, basicaly she is stuck at home in lovely job she hates and she can't get into the woods everyday like she used to when she lived in another state. so she kinda rereads this stuff. i like the books enough. i got her the dragon age book series because yeah its meh but she might like it and then she might get interested in games.

oh yeah its good poo poo. i need to read more of them sometime. maybe over break.

Maybe hook her up with the Witcher books, I think all but the latest are translated now.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

ALFbrot posted:

It's like how the Big Bang Theory is a bad show, but there are many worse, but then it wins billions of awards and every acquaintance or relative you have says "hey, you work on a computer and like nerd stuff, right? You have GOT to watch this show it's about people like you!!"

Aha! okay, this I get. Kind of a “gently caress, this person thinks I would love this?” deal.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

All the cool fighting/action in Snow Crash happens outside of the virtual world

Mainly on a flotilla of lovely boats attached to an old aircraft carrier that travels around the world collecting society's poor who are being ejected from the corporate owned world.

Also the pizza mafia

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Snowcrash predicted penis avatars in second life a decade before it existed, talk about cutting edge.

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.
I don't get why people are putting Snow Crash and Ready Player One in the same category other than they both have some kind of VR second life that everyone jerks off in. (I never actually read RPO and I never plan to though)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Really scratching my noggin here trying to figure out why Steven Spielberg would choose to work with a story in which a whole lot of great stuff was made in the 80's and nothing of note since.

I mean what could possibly between the connection between Steven Spielberg and "good stuff from the 80's"??? Or between Steven Spielberg and "nothing of note since the 80's"???

Just super perplexed over why a book which describes the 80's as being the pinnacle of artistic creation and ignores everything that came after has drawn the attention of Steven Spielberg.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Because he's a hack

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

esperterra posted:

Maybe hook her up with the Witcher books, I think all but the latest are translated now.

she thought they were alright. as i said. she is set in her ways. idk.

Chomp8645 posted:

Really scratching my noggin here trying to figure out why Steven Spielberg would choose to work with a story in which a whole lot of great stuff was made in the 80's and nothing of note since.

I mean what could possibly between the connection between Steven Spielberg and "good stuff from the 80's"??? Or between Steven Spielberg and "nothing of note since the 80's"???

Just super perplexed over why a book which describes the 80's as being the pinnacle of artistic creation and ignores everything that came after has drawn the attention of Steven Spielberg.

he is old and probaly thinks it will make money with the kids.

bag em and tag em posted:

I liked Redwall stuff, and then at some point the switch flipped and i found them unreadable which was sad because I remember thoroughly enjoying stories about rabbits and badgers that could wreck poo poo

my problem with the books is basically this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoV1-fsFCmw

the switch comes because every book is the originality gives out after a while. the plot is some vermin dickhead is the baddest evilist gently caress imaginable with some weird personality quirk/past and then dies in some way, also the hero/heroin/group gently caress around the abby or the woods to find a magguffin or some poo poo. also their will be a bunch of named henchmen who will die in gruesome ways because of their own stupidty/greed/whatever. the stories arnt badly written, its just the content gets stale. whats sucks is they could make a genuinely good cartoon off of the books(you can get away with ton of violence if its animals or "implied") you could make a mini series for the books.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 12, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

For sure. It wasn't so bad if you read them as Jacques released them, there was usually half a year to a year between books so nbd. Reading them all in one go after the fact could get repetitive af tho, esp as an adult.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Chomp8645 posted:

lol

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

esperterra posted:

For sure. It wasn't so bad if you read them as Jacques released them, there was usually half a year to a year between books so nbd. Reading them all in one go after the fact could get repetitive af tho, esp as an adult.

the audio books are good(they are/were cheap as gently caress on audible) its done by a cast which is kinda cool.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the audio books are good(they are/were cheap as gently caress on audible) its done by a cast which is kinda cool.

I'll look into them! I wish they would have done more of those Canadian/French produced cartoons tbh. The Mattimeo one had Tim Curry playing Slagar the Cruel, poo poo was legit.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

esperterra posted:

I'll look into them! I wish they would have done more of those Canadian/French produced cartoons tbh. The Mattimeo one had Tim Curry playing Slagar the Cruel, poo poo was legit.

yeah, its weird and bad but good.

word of warning. if you buy the audiobook cast one for redwall, cluny screams, alot, like bad mic twitch scream full throated yells that make you ears hurt. so get the regular one(both are unabridged) if you dont want that poo poo.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

these excerpts are physically painful holy poo poo

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I would like to flush this authors head in a toilet

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

lazorexplosion posted:

these excerpts are physically painful holy poo poo

it reads like poo poo i wrote in elementary school where it was pokemon/star wars/lord of the rings crossover.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Wil Wheaton sees nothing wrong with the poster for this trash movie 😑

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

We Know Catheters posted:

Wil Wheaton sees nothing wrong with the poster for this trash movie 😑

wil wheaton is nice but stupid jackoff and says this poo poo because he careers bedrock is him being a hated character on good tv show in the 80/90s.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I feel the need to punch all pop culture nerds and it's self-defense.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

No one cares what Wesley has to say

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I hate Will Wheaton.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I sent my co-worker a few pages from this thread. She's an expectant mother. She said those pages gave her cancer. Not joking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Blue Train posted:

No one cares what Wesley has to say

• Locked thread