Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

hakimashou posted:

Its not the labour platform i'd have to hold my nose for. Anti-american screeds at the UN aren't part of the labour platform are they?

Americans are the second worst filth on earth, after the British.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Josef bugman posted:

What policies do you think are in common? He doesn't actually seem to lay anything out all that often other than "Corbyn bad". And if you like provocative writing then more power to you, but this doesn't seem to be provocative in the sense of trying new things and thinking them through, instead it is "provocative" in the same way as saying a swearword, it may cause a shock the first time, but in the end it isn't really provoking things other than eye rolling past a certain point.

But Corbyn has, by your own measure, not done this, in fact he has argued against things that would have prevented people from saying things. So why do you agree with Nick Cohen who has backed returning people "suspected of" terrorism no matter what happens to them: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2006/nov/05/comment.terrorism . Why is it only a mob when it is people poorer than you, and not when it comes from people richer, for instance?

All he is saying is "we need to build a world that works for everyone, not the wealthiest". I fail to see how this is creating a mob.

The mob part was referring to the Leftist Inquisition not to Corbyn himself.

Anyway Cohen doesn't seem to like communists, but doesn't seem to be a conservative, which makes him what, center-left? Just like me!

I don't understand your last question. Why am I agreeing with the author of that article you linked about an unrelated topic, or why am I agreeing with that article you linked?

I'm not sure I did agree with that article you linked, you'd have to dig that one up but it isn't ringing a bell.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

Actually America is the best country.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

and the british are the worst on earth after the english

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i too live in 19th century prussia

I wish I did, Bismarck at least recognized you needed adequate social services to keep the proles content.

hakimashou posted:

Its not the labour platform i'd have to hold my nose for. Anti-american screeds at the UN aren't part of the labour platform are they?

Lol you're so loving dense and reactionary that you automatically read anti-Imperialism as anti-Americanism.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

hakimashou posted:

lmfao

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

hakimashou posted:

Actually no, it is bad.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Jose posted:

yeah i'd piss in your shoes when you weren't there i don't want you seeing my dick

it wouldn’t be the piss tape i so desperately seek that’s for sure

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

When they kill thousands yearly it's just an inevitable byproduct of their policy not the primary goal, so really it's bad to be angry at them. *shits self, eats the poo poo*

even if (big 'if' ) tories dont want to murder people and it just happens due to their policies, they're unable to see the consequences of their actions and should be stripped of power and forced back into kindergarten to begin school anew

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Actually no, it is bad.

If you're a nazi or a communist maybe. Sore losers.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

hakimashou posted:

Actually, it's good people who think America is bad.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

hakimashou posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lmfao owned bich

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Mods knew (that actually, America is bad).

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

machine gun all tories

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Nonsense posted:

machine gun all tories

Make Tories mine the last of the coal.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

Just because something was written some time ago does not make it untrue. What was the Iraq war if not policy?

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

this is all of course entirely separate from claiming that “all politics is violence”, an entirely unhealthy personal attitude that is guaranteed to break your brain, denigrate victims of actual violence because you call everything you don’t like violence and also maybe even get you arrested if you decide to take it to its logical conclusion

Why is it unhealthy to acknowledge that most interactions are backed up, at least in part, by force? And what makes someone a victim of "actual" violence. Is there a hard and fast line?

hakimashou posted:

How does listing things America has actually done count as a screed? I mean America is the worlds paramount power and, much like how we hate the hypocrite worse than the open sinner, if America talks openly about democracy and openness and fails to do things to encourage them... well it looks worse.

hakimashou posted:

The mob part was referring to the Leftist Inquisition not to Corbyn himself.

Anyway Cohen doesn't seem to like communists, but doesn't seem to be a conservative, which makes him what, center-left? Just like me!

I don't understand your last question. Why am I agreeing with the author of that article you linked about an unrelated topic, or why am I agreeing with that article you linked?

I'm not sure I did agree with that article you linked, you'd have to dig that one up but it isn't ringing a bell.

I believe there may be a point to this, but I don't think that the leftist people on twitter are really people who need intense listening to. I do think there could be an attempt at moderation, but the problem is also in how tone is judged online. For instance if i see "gulags all round lads!" in a reply I would have to look into if the person is making a joke or being serious.

He backed the Iraq war, he claims the "islamofacism" is killing the left. He is, essentially, a very odd man with weird views and as someone on the harder edge of the centre left, I would be horrified if he was speaking for me.

I was using that as an example where you said you "didn't like people telling others what they couldn't believe or think about" and then using Cohen as someone who does just that. That was my point.

It is Nick Cohen, saying how people "suspected" of being terrorists deserve to be expatriated and potentially killed.

Josef bugman has issued a correction as of 23:25 on Dec 11, 2017

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Actually no, it is bad.

I’m an American and iawtp

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

neither did comrade mao :milk:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Make Tories be the last of the coal.
:getin:
put the british thermal units in :thermidor:

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Americans are barely human

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Whorelord posted:

j e a l o u s m u c h ?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Whorelord posted:

God is an American.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

hakimashou posted:

which makes him what, center-left? Just like me!

hakimashou posted:

Ooooohhhhhhhhhhh

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
america is actually really great and the best easily btw unobjectively

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
things that are really good about america: going bankrupt when you injure yourself

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

take it from me, an american: this country is poo poo

some really beautiful spots tho, and good food and beer

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Josef bugman posted:

I believe there may be a point to this, but I don't think that the leftist people on twitter are really people who need intense listening to. I do think there could be an attempt at moderation, but the problem is also in how tone is judged online. For instance if i see "gulags all round lads!" in a reply I would have to look into if the person is making a joke or being serious.

He backed the Iraq war, he claims the "islamofacism" is killing the left. He is, essentially, a very odd man with weird views and as someone on the harder edge of the centre left, I would be horrified if he was speaking for me.

I was using that as an example where you said you "didn't like people telling others what they couldn't believe or think about" and then using Cohen as someone who does just that. That was my point.

It is Nick Cohen, saying how people "suspected" of being terrorists deserve to be expatriated and potentially killed.

People can be right about some things and wrong about others. Everyone is, nobody's perfect. I don't anyone should be deported to a country where they will be tortured.

See he and I disagree about that but probably agree about other things.

"He was wrong about something, he is bad, so everything he says is wrong" doesn't really even rise to the level of thinking. There's even a special name for it in Latin.

I haven't read many of his columns, but I've liked a couple that I did, and I certainly like his style.

I'd like to see more writing that critiques this problematic strain in leftism and does it intelligently and from the same side. No good has ever come from purges or inquisitions or the fixation on purity and orthodoxy.

hakimashou has issued a correction as of 10:54 on Dec 12, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

hakimashou loves the opioid crisis because he lusts for mass death

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Jose just loves opiods

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Jose posted:

hakimashou loves the opioid crisis because he lusts for mass death

You kids shouldn't take drugs, they are bad for you.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

hakimashou posted:

You kids shouldn't take drugs, they are bad for you.

hello officer

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Jose just loves opiods

its true

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

j e a l o u s m u c h ?

Of a country with a higher murder rate than Liberia?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

fridge corn posted:

Jose just loves opiods

And discarded nitrous

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

And discarded nitrous

And pictures of anal prolapses

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

And discarded nitrous

its not discarded they got it for a legitimate reason then the nhs never bothered to come back for it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
jose I can help you get rid of that pesky nitrous, and for only a nominal fee

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'm glad we've sent our top negotiator to handle brexit

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/940541480283918338

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

blairites showign their true antisemitic colours

https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/940561167797407744

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

America is objectively worse than most places in the developex world by any metric other than GDP and military strength, but it does have some lovely scenery and I can only assume some good food hiding behind the industrial cow fattening slop