Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A conversation with my brother makes me wonder; how hosed is the country? Apparently all the shearers are in their 60s and no one knows how to replace them. Of course, I grew up in the country and no one had any interest in teaching me how to shear, same with my brothers. Nobody thinks of the future out there, and then they wonder why they're so hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Inescapable Duck posted:

A conversation with my brother makes me wonder; how hosed is the country?

hosed

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Inescapable Duck posted:

A conversation with my brother makes me wonder; how hosed is the country? Apparently all the shearers are in their 60s and no one knows how to replace them. Of course, I grew up in the country and no one had any interest in teaching me how to shear, same with my brothers. Nobody thinks of the future out there, and then they wonder why they're so hosed.

There are no shearers because aside from those 2-3 weeks a year when they're needed there isn't any work. So the young leave looking for a place with income and a future.

So pretty hosed I guess. It's been in steady decline for a long time and nothing is going to change that. If anything automation and drone machinery will just be the nails in the coffin.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'd say my Lebanese barber could probably handle it but the real answer is robots

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Vic Labor, like all Labor, are garbage loving idiots

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Inescapable Duck posted:

Incredibly. I live in rural NSW and the people here are really young or really old. Everyone else leaves.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
QLD Labor is still somehow the best Labor because they are consistently poo poo to poo poo-average-kinda alright so you know what sort of government you're in for where as other state Labor's seem to be extremely bi-polar progressive on one thing and stupidly neocon on another thing.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Anidav posted:

QLD Labor is still somehow the best Labor because they are consistently poo poo to poo poo-average-kinda alright so you know what sort of government you're in for where as other state Labor's seem to be extremely bi-polar progressive on one thing and stupidly neocon on another thing.

The only Labor more poo poo than QLD is NSW and that is an extremely low bar.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

Vic Labor, like all Labor, are garbage loving idiots

What did they do this time?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

It took QLD Labor a term in office to decide, hmm maybe we should oppose Adani somewhat????

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
it took a year long election campaign threatening to unseat the deputy premier and a bunch of direct action and bad media coverage to get them to change from fully supporting it.

qld governments live and die by their premiers tho, so how much of that was Palaszczuk and how much was general alp shittiness is hard to measure

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Anidav posted:

where as other state Labor's seem to be extremely bi-polar progressive on one thing and stupidly neocon on another thing.

NSW Labor are monopolar.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

SA Labor is the best, they're the furthest left of any state ALP branch, and they've largely been getting good poo poo done despite the state being near economic ruin and constantly the target of the federal LNP for whatever funding cuts or points scoring they need on a given day - sorely needed new hospital, rail electrification, tram line extensions and fleet expansions, stadium upgrade, renewable energy expansion, all ideas roundly condemned and laughed at by the worthless state Liberals that are now considered universally popular successes.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 12, 2017

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

SA Labor is the best, they're the furthest left of any state ALP branch, and they've largely been getting good poo poo done despite the state being near economic ruin and constantly the target of the federal LNP for whatever funding cuts or points scoring they need on a given day - sorely needed new hospital, rail electrification, tram line extensions and fleet expansions, stadium upgrade, renewable energy expansion, all ideas roundly condemned and laughed at by the worthless state Liberals that are now considered universally popular successes.
SA Labor can afford to be more left of center because for the last fifteen years SA LNP have been a complete and utter joke, after imploding laughably under Rob Kerin. SA Best is going to poo poo things up there though and drag SA back to the center, kicking and screaming.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

CrazyTolradi posted:

SA Labor can afford to be more left of center because for the last fifteen years SA LNP have been a complete and utter joke, after imploding laughably under Rob Kerin. SA Best is going to poo poo things up there though and drag SA back to the center, kicking and screaming.

Well thanks to the election fixing rule the Libs put in place as a Playmander throwback, they're notionally entering the next election leading 27 seats to 20, despite the real world count being 24 to 21 in favour of Labor with 2 independents. Something will have to give eventually.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Periphery posted:

What did they do this time?

The same thing as the Liberals last time, signed an agreement with a multinational saying that even if we lose the upcoming election and our big dumb road doesn’t get built, the State will still pay you a fuckton of money.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Solemn Sloth posted:

The same thing as the Liberals last time, signed an agreement with a multinational saying that even if we lose the upcoming election and our big dumb road doesn’t get built, the State will still pay you a fuckton of money.

hahahahaha

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Sam Dast. stuff is real funny to me because my aunt taught him in primary school and was real proud of him giving PH guff, but now, welp

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Looking forward to hearing about Chinese donations to both partys

*crickets*

Oh whats that MSM, we're not going to bother? Well alrighty then

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Dastyari is 34. Reckon he's done better than most posters in the game of life.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

JBP posted:

That happens when you're a gormless student politician though.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

JBP posted:

Well Mr JBP, what is the point of life?

Lenin was 47 when he finally got on the train to Russia in 1917

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

BCR posted:

Looking forward to hearing about Chinese donations to both partys

*crickets*

Oh whats that MSM, we're not going to bother? Well alrighty then

The Minister for partying says it's totally ok though because they declared theirs, and used it for campaigning, not bills.

Did Sam use donations for personal expenses? I haven't been following.

trump lover
Dec 12, 2017

by Lowtax

Inescapable Duck posted:

they're the best kind of hosed: "dependent on immigrant labour within a generation and desperately in denial" hosed

(i also grew up in the country)

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
Australian politics is incredibly tedious right now. The media is so dog poo poo.

trump lover
Dec 12, 2017

by Lowtax
luckily the secret to revitalising the country is already at our fingertips: generous and well-planned investment in public schooling and tafe! ahahaha

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

trump lover posted:

luckily the secret to revitalising the country is already at our fingertips: generous and well-planned investment in public schooling and tafe! ahahaha

We'll have all those farm robots and delivery drones coming up for retirement and

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Knobb Manwich posted:

The Minister for partying says it's totally ok though because they declared theirs, and used it for campaigning, not bills.

Did Sam use donations for personal expenses? I haven't been following.

Yes. He had a donation pay off 40k (iirc) of his personal legal bills, and another one paid the remainder of his travel costs once he'd gone over his allowance limit or something.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Solemn Sloth posted:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

What in the actual gently caress?

Krabboss posted:

Australian politics is incredibly tedious right now. The media is so dog poo poo.

Agreed. But Alice Workman and Lane Sainty can only be in so many places at once while the rest of the media is busy licking politician's taints.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BCR posted:

Well Mr JBP, what is the point of life?

Lenin was 47 when he finally got on the train to Russia in 1917

I dunno. Crush a few competitiors. Make money. Have a family and put them on webcam. Cut deals with Chinese businessmen behind closed doors for personal gain.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Inescapable Duck posted:

The old refused to educate the young in their business for fear of being replaced. Now upon retirement they complain the young have no skills. Or complain when the young have moved on to entirely new businesses and industries.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Solemn Sloth posted:

Eh, whatever. At least Dandrews has done good things for the state during his term compared to the previous do nothing Baillieu/Naptime term.

And what's the alternative? Matthew "Lobster with a Mobster" Guy who regularly shoots himself in the foot even though he is being given policies and what to say directly from the Herald Sun. gently caress that.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

You Am I posted:

Eh, whatever. At least Dandrews has done good things for the state during his term compared to the previous do nothing Baillieu/Naptime term.

And what's the alternative? Matthew "Lobster with a Mobster" Guy who regularly shoots himself in the foot even though he is being given policies and what to say directly from the Herald Sun. gently caress that.

I think the alternative is for Labor to not pawn the state off to their mates at transurban.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
There's a massive sheep farm a couple hours from where I lived. I could look it up if I wasn't so lazy, but it used to function as its own little village with a school and everything. I think it's mostly a tourist attraction now.

Anyway, the point is, all the workers there doing the tour and shearing the sheep were all pretty old. There was an "apprentice" involved in the sheep shearing show, but he looked like he was about 50 and he had a mullet. He was incredibly awkward and he made his sheep bleed when he sheared it.

That's my story.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I would gladly live outside of the city if there was good fibre NBN

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Krabboss posted:

There's a massive sheep farm a couple hours from where I lived. I could look it up if I wasn't so lazy, but it used to function as its own little village with a school and everything. I think it's mostly a tourist attraction now.

Anyway, the point is, all the workers there doing the tour and shearing the sheep were all pretty old. There was an "apprentice" involved in the sheep shearing show, but he looked like he was about 50 and he had a mullet. He was incredibly awkward and he made his sheep bleed when he sheared it.

That's my story.

This is so soul crushingly grim and depressing.

Not because it's struggling, just for it existing. But that's most of rural Australia.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

You Am I posted:

No, not Matthew Guy...

Matthew Beet.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

I think the alternative is for Labor to not pawn the state off to their mates at transurban.

Those clauses aren't uncommon though. They're in the contracts to make sure you don't just change your mind on a project. East Weast was trash and it bit us in the arse, but the majority of them have deliverables for the builder as well as commitments from the government.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Sounds like Labour might be.... bad..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Accidentally causing a sheep to bleed is pretty common in shearing, although obviously the better you are at it the less it happens.

That's why the letter from the overflow was written in tar, because shearers used it to cauterise any cuts.

• Locked thread