Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Cassa posted:

Doing this, I realised I have like zero light infantry, but two celestial guard are enough orders, IMO.

You should get some Kuang Shi, they are amazing in Vanilla and ISS alike.
4 Kuang shi + CG Controller are 5 orders for 33 points, and the CG controller provides smoke for Hsiens and Ru Shi. The most cost effective thing in the faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yo UK Goons, just a heads up we still have some open slots for this weekends ITS event here in Cardiff.

https://its.infinitythegame.com/event/pjlfstap-infinity-operation-firestorm-ii

Let me know if you're interested. I'd love to refill the event, we had a few drops last night.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Finally got to play Aristeia. Gata is awesome. If your opponent calls her "that loving furball" she's working as intended. :kimchi:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah Gata is a real wind up artist, she's really good! I love the game, I think it's a genuinely really good quality product from CB.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Been a bit quite here of late, so have the EI's absolute boi as WIP.

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, he would like fries with that, thank you.

Pidgin Englishman posted:

Been a bit quite here of late, so have the EI's absolute boi as WIP.

Those are some beautiful yellows.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah that's looking great man.

Also some results from Op FSG 2 yesterday, we had a rocky start with OTM making GBS threads the bed entirely and me having to manually restart the entire event and roster so we started 30 mins late, other than that the event flew by and went really well! Some stats:

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 10, 2017

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
What might be interesting is if you take your last three graphs and divide them by the number of participants in each army. That will tell you who your stand-out factions are in terms of who's punching above their weight.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Feel bad for the SP player who got stuck with a bye on top of getting schwacked.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Ilor posted:

What might be interesting is if you take your last three graphs and divide them by the number of participants in each army. That will tell you who your stand-out factions are in terms of who's punching above their weight.

Just eyeballing it the ratios seem pretty close, with the ones I'm seeing slightly over are pano, shock army, vanilla yu Jing, and corregidor, but no one really stands out a lot.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ilor posted:

I posted these a little bit after. Had to crash when I published these but I've posted them to the WGC, UK and my clubs Facebook pages. Can't figure out how to do it on the phone so I'll edit this post tomorrow with the average/mean scores. I also published the top 3 players lists on fb.

grassy gnoll posted:

Feel bad for the SP player who got stuck with a bye on top of getting schwacked.
Yeah that was my buddy who I play vs regularly. He isn't experienced at the game and is finding it tricky to learn. He's a good guy though.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Just eyeballing it the ratios seem pretty close, with the ones I'm seeing slightly over are pano, shock army, vanilla yu Jing, and corregidor, but no one really stands out a lot.
ASA was played by a mate who is a good player. Yj was both two friends who are both new to the game but once is a competitive player for games like Guild Ball and Malifaux so he picks poo poo up fast.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 11, 2017

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
What's interesting about the averaged graphs is that other things start to pop out - like USARF wins games by significant margins (high TP), but doesn't accomplish an outsized number of objective points and is middle-of-the pack in Victory points. This in turn implies that USARF is better at preventing other people from securing objectives than they are at accomplishing objectives themselves. Camo and no hackers, stands to reason.

Similarly, ASA stands out in all categories, which says that the ASA players were very objectives focused and did a good job of mitigating losses.

Morats were rock-hard and didn't lose many points, but also didn't accomplish a lot of Objectives, making what wins they did have relatively mediocre.

Cool stuff!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The ASA player (a good friend of mine) donated the best painted mini trophy he had done for us. He then ended up winning it with this Iggy he submitted:

The best painted army went to a place from the same meta as him, with these Nomads:

Doing some painting tonight because I can't sleep:

Highlights.

Gonna give it a red glaze at the end. Need to tidy up primer in spots before I do his flesh.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Yes, photos. Those Nomads look fantastic.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The painted armies on parade.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Yehaa armies.

Also purdy pneumball, that's looking good.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Cheers fam, gonna edge HL it a bit more then use a brighter gold on the very corner tips. Unsure what to do after that, I either glaze the entire ball red, or I paint the power cores/innie bits blue.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Flipswitch posted:

The best painted army went to a place from the same meta as him, with these Nomads:

Who sells this box.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Black Sheep Industries.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Oh, where were this ASA guy and his lot down from? Cardiff is always a bit far for me, don't know if you ever travel to the midlands or up north for events?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Flipswitch posted:

Cheers fam, gonna edge HL it a bit more then use a brighter gold on the very corner tips. Unsure what to do after that, I either glaze the entire ball red, or I paint the power cores/innie bits blue.

Coloured core would look very cool.

How reliant are Ariadna armies on their werewolves? They're like the one thing about the faction I don't really dig.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Genghis Cohen posted:

Oh, where were this ASA guy and his lot down from? Cardiff is always a bit far for me, don't know if you ever travel to the midlands or up north for events?
Worcester. Midlands can do, I don't mind driving for events cause I can just stay the night before in places, a lot of our meta are quite family orientated though so it makes two day events hard to commit to. Same for the UK Infinity community overall to be honest!

North... Not too sure, depends how far. I need to get back into playing competitively though because these days I mostly just TO. Where too are you from?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Those are some fine paint jobs. That Iguana and the Russian Ariadna group are particularly nice.

Cassa posted:

How reliant are Ariadna armies on their werewolves? They're like the one thing about the faction I don't really dig.

Somewhat, I guess. The majority of Ariadna's smoke comes from werewolves, or werewolf-adjacent units like Wulvers and Antipodes. There are still plenty of other units that give you smoke options - out of what's left, I'd pick Desperadoes, and I'm not a big Desperado fan normally - so it's not like it'd cripple you.

Antipode packs are real good, though. If you can handle a couple of gross dogs, I'd strongly consider some.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

Black Sheep Industries.

:respek:

Cassa posted:

Coloured core would look very cool.

I've seen USARSE played without them regularly. They're good though.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Flipswitch posted:

Black Sheep Industries.

I play infinity with the guy that makes em. I have one of his early ones, the ammo box lookin one on his site is mine. It's a nice tray, makes getting tokens quick and easy.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Not hugely adverse to the funky dogs, it's just everything else, particularly the spetsnaz, is extremely my poo poo.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

Somewhat, I guess. The majority of Ariadna's smoke comes from werewolves, or werewolf-adjacent units like Wulvers and Antipodes. There are still plenty of other units that give you smoke options - out of what's left, I'd pick Desperadoes, and I'm not a big Desperado fan normally - so it's not like it'd cripple you.

Antipode packs are real good, though. If you can handle a couple of gross dogs, I'd strongly consider some.

The doggos are okay - but size 6 and impetuous makes them a liability. Still, if you can get a straight shot to the opponents backline there's much, much worse things to do with a turn 1 order pool besides rampage through some cheerleaders with a chain rifle dog.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

tokenbrownguy posted:

The doggos are okay - but size 6 and impetuous makes them a liability. Still, if you can get a straight shot to the opponents backline there's much, much worse things to do with a turn 1 order pool besides rampage through some cheerleaders with a chain rifle dog.

Agreed. But I tend to treat most things with ex impetuous as a disposable harassment tool. If my dog warrior or kilt werewolf or k-9 marine gets splatted, so what, as long as he made the other player flinch or waste orders.

I'm actually kind of curious if anyone babies their impetuous units.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

grassy gnoll posted:

I'm actually kind of curious if anyone babies their impetuous units.
I will occasionally baby Ghazis (sometimes spending a Regular order to cancel their Ex Impetuosity), but when I do this it's because I have a very specific use in mind for them (like, "go here, Jammer that").

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
I've had a babied k9 manage to wipe out an entire rodok link. There was luck in it, sure, but my opponent took care to set up the approach and limit the risks. They're nasty units up close.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Ilor posted:

"go here, Jammer that"

:argh: You're a monster and you deserve every 20 you roll.

Pidgin Englishman posted:

I've had a babied k9 manage to wipe out an entire rodok link. There was luck in it, sure, but my opponent took care to set up the approach and limit the risks. They're nasty units up close.

Sure, but how often are you doing this as a matter of course, rather than opportunity? If they get into a sweet position by happenstance, that's fantastic, but I mainly put them down on the table as a fire-and-forget vehicle.

About the most careful I get with an impetuous unit is running a Haramaki link, and that's mostly because they're not impetuous anymore.

(Also, please note none of this is meant to be combative or gainsaying of your points, I'm just bored out of my mind at work today.)

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Oh yeah, 100%.

The rodoks were mine, I'm just bitter it won 3 face-to-face rolls against boarding shotguns :smith:

I'd agree that single impetuous units are largely set and forget. I find morlocks too useful in Bakunin to really let run head long up the board, and gazis as was mentioned. Otherwise it's 20-30 points or irregular units that might not do jack, but have a reasonable chance of causing mild havoc and putting your opponents first turn out.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I killed a pair of doggies(Devil Dog and antipode) with a single Kuang Shi one game, was pretty hilarious.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

I usually don't concern myself too deeply with my warbands since I don't have any.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Hungries are great as WBs, Dats too but I've only recently started using em after shifting from Onyx. Having a Gaki take out a Croc-Man is comedy gold.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

grassy gnoll posted:

:argh: You're a monster and you deserve every 20 you roll.

Sure, but how often are you doing this as a matter of course, rather than opportunity? If they get into a sweet position by happenstance, that's fantastic, but I mainly put them down on the table as a fire-and-forget vehicle.

About the most careful I get with an impetuous unit is running a Haramaki link, and that's mostly because they're not impetuous anymore.

(Also, please note none of this is meant to be combative or gainsaying of your points, I'm just bored out of my mind at work today.)

As a bakunin player, I'll usually spend the order to cancel ex. impetuous if it means suicide for my Morlock, like having to smoke multiple AROs or running in front of a TR bot. They are too good at controlling territory to throw away like that, especially when you can pay a command token to flip their irregular order.

That said, I almost never have any direct objectives for my morlocks at list building, or even at the start of the game. They are there for their defensive presence, support for anyone nearby (zeroes, button pushers) who needs them, and occasionally guided missiles to annihilate enemy pieces caught out of place.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

Hungries are great as WBs, Dats too but I've only recently started using em after shifting from Onyx. Having a Gaki take out a Croc-Man is comedy gold.

If PanO can't get warbands (which I'm fine with) we should at least get AD turrets with options for chain rifle, HFT, and dual smgs.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

More combat remotes, the high-tech factions should have them. More things like Bulleteers/Yaoxie/Batroids.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

More combat remotes, the high-tech factions should have them. More things like Bulleteers/Yaoxie/Batroids.

give me the pano batroid imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The PanO Avatar would be WIP12.

• Locked thread