Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I guess these are a thing now on Pixel phones. Update your AR core and something else and they show up in the Google camera app.

Edit, different attempt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rAiDUS1lm8

It's kind of poo poo, but fun. Lots of other stuff in the app but I've had all of 2 minutes to mess with this at work.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Trash

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Just got 8.1 OTA on my OG Pixel. About 10 minutes ago the notification just popped up.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Ghostpilot posted:

I suspect that the answer will be to get a 2XL, but I'm currently on a Note 5 that still performs well but I was actually considering off-loading it on swappa and getting an XL as it gets timely updates, has a smoother experience, and would be supported longer.

I also recall hearing some concerns about the 2 XL build quality which was another factor that had me leaning towards the XL.

I did recall seeing a post in the thread that an XL wasn't a great value right now. Should I just stick to what I have?

I finally gave up on my Note 5. The battery would never last a whole day. Other than that it still ran great, but I upgraded to the Pixel 2 XL and it's an incredible device.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

EdEddnEddy posted:

I would still pick up a Pixel 2/XL over the U11, and if you at least want HTC build quality still, the Pixel 2 is HTC while the 2XL is LG fwiw.
Yeah I ended up pulling the trigger on Pixel 2 today. Google has it for £579 right now and the cheapest I could find the U11 was £499. I don't like the screen-side design on the Pixel (even counting for the speakers the width of the top & bottom bezels seems ridiculous) but the back of the black one has a nice matt finish I hadn't noticed before, which pretty much trumps the fingerprint-magnet back of the U11. Plus, the obvious software + camera superiority.

Glad about the speakers too, I wish HTC hadn't dropped their boomsound platform!

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 11, 2017

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Red Warrior posted:

Just got 8.1 OTA on my OG Pixel. About 10 minutes ago the notification just popped up.

Still waiting for it on my 2 XL :(

KoB
May 1, 2009
My NExus 5X wont turn on anymore. Is there a way I can boot my phone data with an emulator or soemthing so I can get at my data?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

KoB posted:

My NExus 5X wont turn on anymore. Is there a way I can boot my phone data with an emulator or soemthing so I can get at my data?

Hit it against the desk. Or put it in your freezer. Or open your freezer and throw the phone into the freezer as hard as you can. Whatever else people have been trying resurrect busted rear end Nexus 5x's.

I don't really know how to get data off a phone that won't even turn on, all your important stuff should be backed up in the Google cloud, right?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Who in the year 2017 is not living their life with everything 100% backed up into the cloud at all times

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Rastor posted:

Who in the year 2017 is not living their life with everything 100% backed up into the cloud at all times

My Uncle, who thinks letting the "Cloud" know or have anything of his is bad.

Considering that if anyone spent any amount of time Spying on him her would either die of utter and complete boredom, or have the most fascinating specimen for regimented behavioral addiction or something along that line.

Either way his V10 died the same way the 5X's do and it was up to me to save his rear end. Ugh

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

For scientific purposes (curiosity) I compared the Google camera app with Enhanced HDR+ (P2XL, Pixel visual core ON) in low light with a third party camera app with manual controls.

EHDR+ (1/60, ISO 434)

Manual Camera. 1/5 sec exposure, ISO 50

The results are quite similar, with the manual camera photo maybe having a slight edge in noise and detail retention if you're pixel peeping. The Google cam had a much higher ISO and faster shutter which makes its output all the more impressive. My older Mate 9 probably would have boosted the ISO to 800 or more in auto mode and resulted in a much noisier photo (it also used smaller sensors and an f2.2 aperture). I still wish Google would add a dedicated long exposure mode to take advantage of its sensor and HDR algorithms.

There was that Google engineer that made these wonderful long exposure shots with a Nexus 6p and 1st gen Pixel, why can't we have that?

(Taken with Nexus 6p)

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

EdEddnEddy posted:

My Uncle, who thinks letting the "Cloud" know or have anything of his is bad.

Considering that if anyone spent any amount of time Spying on him her would either die of utter and complete boredom, or have the most fascinating specimen for regimented behavioral addiction or something along that line.

Either way his V10 died the same way the 5X's do and it was up to me to save his rear end. Ugh

All I know is I set up my mother and my mother in law with Google cloud and Android phones and Chromebooks and we have all been much happier ever since. Every time a device dies they log into the new one and everything is back.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Chrome even actually lets you encrypt its data with your own passphrase it's nice

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Any thoughts on the Pixel buds? I have a $100 google store credit coming from the recent pixel 2 promo and wouldn’t mind a pair of Bluetooth earbuds. Ideally would use them with my iPad too.

Reviews say for full price they’re not worth it, but for $100 off I was thinking they might be?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Just got 8.1 on my Pixel 1XL and the Bluetooth seems hosed up. Every system audio boop makes the audio disconnect (even though the audio is still playing on pocketcasts).

Edit: I restarted about 3 times, no apps updated, all of a sudden all fixed

SB35 fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 12, 2017

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I bought my 2XL last Monday, elated that the screen on the unit I received did not have any major blue tint or whatever. Come Sunday, I drop furniture on it and gently caress up the screen, having to get it replaced. Today I got the screen replaced (OLED is laminated into the glass), and it has a much more noticeable blue tint on it...

My guess is that the OEM replacement parts were sent out with the initial batch of phones. A more optimistic thought is that the blue tint goes away with some continued use, and that was the QA/QC failure in the initial release. Does OLED need to be burned in upon manufacture? I have noticed as the day has gone on that it looks a *little* better, but that might just be anecdotal bias.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

My P2XL also has pretty noticeable blue shift. Honestly, the 1080p screens on my Mate 9, Moto G4+, and Moto X Pure embarrass this phone when it comes to viewing angles. Actually, I'd go as far to say my Nexus 6 had a better screen (I miss that beast dearly). I only really notice it when the thing is sitting on my desk at work, and at this point, it just doesn't bug me enough to warrant trying to replace it since 95% of my phone usage is with it right in front of my face where it looks just fine.

I think it's safe to say at this point that LG and/or Google dropped the ball on display quality. It's certainly not befitting a 900 dollar phone. That Pixel 3 is going to be awesome though, hopefully.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 12, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's going to be no change for the Pixel 3 display unless LG makes some pretty dramatic leaps in the next 9 months.

What's needed is a 5.2" version of the screen in the OnePlus 5T to put in the non XL Pixel 3.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 12, 2017

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

bull3964 posted:

There's going to be no change for the Pixel 3 display unless LG makes some pretty dramatic leaps in the next 9 months.

What's needed is a 5.2" version of the screen in the OnePlus 5T to put in the non XL Pixel 3.

Or they could just shell out the money for a good panel. Every review of the Mate 10 Pro has said that even though it's only 1080p+, it's a good panel with better viewing angles than the P2XL and probably more energy efficient. If you're paying near a thousand bucks for a phone, you should get a thousand dollar display. The Pixel 2 XL doesn't provide that. I mean, I like this phone, but it is totally let down by this screen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mental Hospitality posted:

Or they could just shell out the money for a good panel. Every review of the Mate 10 Pro has said that even though it's only 1080p+, it's a good panel with better viewing angles than the P2XL and probably more energy efficient. If you're paying near a thousand bucks for a phone, you should get a thousand dollar display. The Pixel 2 XL doesn't provide that. I mean, I like this phone, but it is totally let down by this screen.

Again, they likely can't.

The only other manufacturer that meets the specs for the panel are Samsung and they are too constrained in manufacturing their QHD panels.

If Google sticks a 2160x1080 panel in the XL, everyone would likely pan the $1000 flagship that doesn't even have a QHD screen.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The OnePlus5T is a Samsung AMOLED. If Google had been able to, I'm sure they would've used Samsung; it's not a matter of cost so much as the iPhone X launch took up so much of Samsung's capacity nobody else could get in, and right now only Samsung has the capability to manufacture AMOLED to that level of quality.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The OnePlus 5T is another one with the 2160x1080 display.

That's the only 18:9 display that Samsung is currently selling to 3rd parties.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Well, they do say they Never Settle.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

If Google sticks a 2160x1080 panel in the XL, everyone would likely pan the $1000 flagship that doesn't even have a QHD screen.

I believe they need QHD for daydream but I don't believe for a second that, if the 2 XL had that Samsung 2160x1080 screen, there would've been an outcry of a similar level.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Incessant Excess posted:

I believe they need QHD for daydream but I don't believe for a second that, if the 2 XL had that Samsung 2160x1080 screen, there would've been an outcry of a similar level.

People panned the non-xl quite often last year for only offering a 1080p display, saying it wasn't a 'flagship' device.

They would have been damned either way.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
What’s the current best not-flagship price android phone? Thinking of doing google fi with the Moro x4 they have on there but I’m not sold on it quite yet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Classical Muzak posted:

What’s the current best not-flagship price android phone? Thinking of doing google fi with the Moro x4 they have on there but I’m not sold on it quite yet.

Moto G5S Plus

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

MikeJF posted:

Moto G5S Plus

Does Motorola commit to doing updates on their cheaper phones?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

People panned the non-xl quite often last year for only offering a 1080p display, saying it wasn't a 'flagship' device.

They would have been damned either way.

The only people who care about this poo poo are spec-sheet buyers.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Classical Muzak posted:

The G5+ is still on the August security patch if that says anything. An Android One X4 might be better off in that regard, but really if you care that much about a commitment to timely updates just buy a used Pixel.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

The only people who care about this poo poo are spec-sheet buyers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think you'll find the spec sheet buyers and those who sent back their 5th Pixel 2XL trying to get a better screen have a large intersection area.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I'm p sure those people are the ones buying up oneplus phones, and to a lesser extent the razer phone

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

omg 120hz screen!!!!!!!!111111

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Classical Muzak posted:

They've committed to one OS update so the G5S Plus and the G5 Plus will get Oreo at some point. No other guarantees beyond that. My G5 Plus is still on 7.0 with an August security patch.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011

Helter Skelter posted:

The G5+ is still on the August security patch if that says anything.

For non-US goons the MiA1 would be the budget choice, I've had it for a month now without any problems and I got the December security patch yesterday and should get Oreo before the year is out (as per the Xiaomi and Google's commitment).

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Train posted:

omg 120hz screen!!!!!!!!111111

I unironically kind of want this. High refresh is nice.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Mental Hospitality posted:

My P2XL also has pretty noticeable blue shift. Honestly, the 1080p screens on my Mate 9, Moto G4+, and Moto X Pure embarrass this phone when it comes to viewing angles. Actually, I'd go as far to say my Nexus 6 had a better screen (I miss that beast dearly). I only really notice it when the thing is sitting on my desk at work, and at this point, it just doesn't bug me enough to warrant trying to replace it since 95% of my phone usage is with it right in front of my face where it looks just fine.

I think it's safe to say at this point that LG and/or Google dropped the ball on display quality. It's certainly not befitting a 900 dollar phone. That Pixel 3 is going to be awesome though, hopefully.

The first 2XL screen I had (bought it last week) was hardly noticeable. There is definitely a difference in the units. I think they changed their manufacturing, QA process or whatever after all the hellfire around the initial release.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

zocio posted:

For non-US goons the MiA1 would be the budget choice, I've had it for a month now without any problems and I got the December security patch yesterday and should get Oreo before the year is out (as per the Xiaomi and Google's commitment).

Mine arrived on Friday. Coming from a Moto G3, my main issue is the 5.5" screen which is a bit larger than I'm used to. Other than that I like it, especially the very loud speaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cheesemaster200 posted:

The first 2XL screen I had (bought it last week) was hardly noticeable. There is definitely a difference in the units. I think they changed their manufacturing, QA process or whatever after all the hellfire around the initial release.
It's just variation in the panels. My girlfriend and I both ordered on the day that it was announced, hers shipped a day before mine. Both have blue shift but mine is visibly worse. The one in the local EE had almost no blue shift. Another one in Carphone Warehouse was really bad. These were all from the first available batch, effectively.

After the first few days of using the phone I pretty much forgot about it.