Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Litecoin is now going nuts, presumably because Bitcoin has been getting a lot of media attention, and you can easily trade Litecoin on Coinbase. It's up like $100 or more in a day so far. However, as far as I can tell, Litecoin actually does a much better job at being a currency than Bitcoin with fast and cheap transactions.

E: holy poo poo I have Gdax open and it's just a huge frenzy with the price swinging $30-40 up and down every few minutes.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Dec 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Fanatic posted:

Godamnit. I wanted to buy Litecoin at $190 but Bpay took two days to go through so the price is already over $340 :(

it's $240 on every other exchange and $320 on coinbase/GDAX because the US is frothing harder than most countries

in the short term (as in, the next 2 hours) this means that everyone with LTC on coinbase loses 25%, but don't worry, they'll get it back next week (until they won't)

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Bardeh posted:

Litecoin is now going nuts, presumably because Bitcoin has been getting a lot of media attention, and you can easily trade Litecoin on Coinbase. It's up like $100 or more in a day so far. However, as far as I can tell, Litecoin actually does a much better job at being a currency than Bitcoin with fast and cheap transactions.

E: holy poo poo I have Gdax open and it's just a huge frenzy with the price swinging $30-40 up and down every few minutes.

Yeah I haven't sold my LTC yet because it's going up uP UP. All aboard the Litecoin train toot toot :yotj:

Edit:

Adar posted:

it's $240 on every other exchange and $320 on coinbase/GDAX because the US is frothing harder than most countries

in the short term (as in, the next 2 hours) this means that everyone with LTC on coinbase loses 25%, but don't worry, they'll get it back next week (until they won't)

Sorry, I forgot I was looking at kangaroo dollars AUD.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
litecoin seems like a new kind of cryptocurrency

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 12, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bardeh posted:

:clint: :homebrew:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Went to take my profits and was met with this!

Everything is going according to plan!

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Went to take my profits and was met with this!

Everything is going according to plan!

Im the aids cock fantasy bookmark

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I'm the secret Canadian program icon

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm in last place. Went 1-13. That's what happens in a dynasty league when you try to win the year before by trading most of your picks.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

I mean I wouldn't rule that out but the bitcoin price commonly pulls all sorts of illogical bullshit that makes no sense

When the Bitcoin Cash fork occurred everyone was expecting a big fall in price, because typically when something like a stock splits in 2 the value splits between the two stocks. Sure, maybe the sum of the two will be greater than the original price, but often the original stock loses some value to the new, split-off stock. But then Bitcoin splits in two just like a stock would but also somehow its price actually went up instead of down because ???
yeah and sometimes stocks tank even when they get a good earnings report. it really depends on what the market has priced in. in the case of satoshi's bitcoins, i don't think the market has priced those being in the supply of bitcoins on the market... why would they? based on my observations of the community, it's generally believed that those are out of circulation, and i think that will remain the market's assumption until proven otherwise

don't forget that bitcoin narrowly avoided a controversial fork in the weeks before the bitcoin cash fork, and that caused the price of bitcoin to surge after a month long decline. the bitcoin cash fork was announced just afterwards and the market stabilized. once the fork occurred, the market sold off bitcoin cash and bought bitcoin. since then they've had a noticeable inverse correlation

i don't see what is irrational about that. for bitcoin's true believers, the avoidance of the first fork was fundamentally good news. the bitcoin cash fork was not popular so most people sold it off (the price absolutely tanked out of the gate) and bought bitcoin. (you can say that the irrational part is that anyone truly believes in bitcoin and i'll concede that point.. but if you treat "bitcoin=good" as an axiom, then the behavior makes sense)

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 12, 2017

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

down n out posted:

When you’re a bitcoin millionaire but all you can buy is gold and cocaine:

Those abs are soooooo painted in

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Bardeh posted:

yeah it loving owns

except for the fact that gdax is laggy as hell right now and way too dangerous to trade in... but before it got laggy it was reaaallly good to trade

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't even know how you'd make reliable and informed trades right now, the price is spiking up and down 20-30 euros on a second by second basis.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Uranium 235 posted:

don't forget that bitcoin narrowly avoided a controversial fork in the weeks before the bitcoin cash fork, and that caused the price of bitcoin to surge after a month long decline. the bitcoin cash fork was announced just afterwards and the market stabilized. once the fork occurred, the market sold off bitcoin cash and bought bitcoin. since then they've had a noticeable inverse correlation

i don't see what is irrational about that. for bitcoin's true believers, the avoidance of the first fork was fundamentally good news. the bitcoin cash fork was not popular so most people sold it off (the price absolutely tanked out of the gate) and bought bitcoin. (you can say that the irrational part is that anyone truly believes in bitcoin and i'll concede that point.. but if you treat "bitcoin=good" as an axiom, then the behavior makes sense)

you're assuming generally rational behavior in a speculative market that has increased 1700% in less than a year. poo poo is completely irrational and no one knows what's going to happen (except maybe the people running the exchanges). it's easy to look back at price changes and say "that's why it happened". doesn't mean it's accurate

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Bardeh posted:

I don't even know how you'd make reliable and informed trades right now, the price is spiking up and down 20-30 euros on a second by second basis.

Just yell, "Big bucks, big bucks, no Whammies!" when you submit your trade and all will be good.

Turmoil fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 12, 2017

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Inept posted:

you're assuming generally rational behavior in a speculative market that has increased 1700% in less than a year. poo poo is completely irrational and no one knows what's going to happen (except maybe the people running the exchanges). it's easy to look back at price changes and say "that's why it happened". doesn't mean it's accurate
you can have rational behavior within a speculative market. people still react to fundamental news like avoided forks, exchange bans, lifts of bans, news about adoption, etc

you can have irrational behavior in a rational market and rational behavior in an irrational market

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Bardeh posted:

there's a way but it's very risky and i wouldn't recommend it

typically when that's happening, it's within a fairly well-defined range. you can put a limit buy at the bottom of the range and a limit sell at the top. a lot of other people will do that too, so you have to compete with them to get your orders filled... the buy orders climb higher and the sell orders drop lower, within each trader trying to stick their order in front of everyone else's. what you get is an equilibrium pattern in which the price action tightens and volume drops off.

the safer thing is to wait until after this frenzy is over. eventually the price stabilizes and volume drops very low. it's best to wait in cash until the market has made a clear decision on whether it will go up or down. once the price breaks one direction, volume will come back into the market and carry the price in that direction. if the bulls win, you can buy in once they break past previous resistance and then sell into the momentum

trading is always very risky and you always need to protect yourself and be willing to accept a small loss to avoid a bigger loss. i'm not recommending that anyone try this

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
GDAX* has literally zero dollar fees for limit orders. I'm not talking 0.9%, but 0.0%. Market orders do have a small fee.

How is that even possible? You're consuming their resources in order to constantly check and fulfill them periodically.

*GDAX is where you should be doing all your wheelin and dealin btw, and you're automatically registered as a Coinbase user with the same login.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

wide stance posted:

GDAX* has literally zero dollar fees for limit orders. I'm not talking 0.9%, but 0.0%. Market orders do have a small fee.

How is that even possible? You're consuming their resources in order to constantly check and fulfill them periodically.

*GDAX is where you should be doing all your wheelin and dealin btw, and you're automatically registered as a Coinbase user with the same login.
because any limit order that gets filled has a market buyer or seller, so the exchange collects a fee for every trade

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

wide stance posted:

It's to encourage providing liquidity, so when someone does a big market order they don't run price through everyone's stops and crash the market (to the up or down side, though few people care if it crashes up).

IRL markets have volume-based commissions and liquidity rebates for the same reason.

It works because the taker fee is larger than it needs to be.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
i'm diversifying my cryptos now. if i wanted to sell some of my btc to buy eth or ltc, it would make the most sense to just trade BTC for LTC or ETH, right? and not BTC for cash, then cash for ETH or LTC?

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

scott zoloft posted:

it would make the most sense to just trade BTC for LTC or ETH, right? and not BTC for cash, then cash for ETH or LTC?

oh, uh, yeah, definitely.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

scott zoloft posted:

i'm diversifying my cryptos now. if i wanted to sell some of my btc to buy eth or ltc, it would make the most sense to just trade BTC for LTC or ETH, right? and not BTC for cash, then cash for ETH or LTC?

Buy bitcoins.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Triglav posted:

That's the SEC. They and FINRA do securities. Bitcoin isn't a security. It would be regulated like foreign exchange under the CFTC and NFA, though bitcoiners wrongly want it regulated under FinCEN like a bureau de change.

But Ether would fall under SEC and FINRA purview, as it was sold by the Ethereum Foundation before it had any use. As would pretty much every other ICO. Anything that involves a forward sale of utility is a security, if not federally than in states that use the risk capital test. Securities in the United States are regulated both federally and by the states.

BitMEX would need to be a CFTC designated contract market, if it were properly regulated.

yeah but all these futures and poo poo?

quote:

That said, products linked to the value of underlying digital assets, including bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies, may be structured as securities products subject to registration under the Securities Act of 1933 or the Investment Company Act of 1940.

quote:

Published 14 Hours Ago Updated 4 Hours Ago

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/11/bitcoin-latest-sec-jay-clayton-warns-on-cryptocurrencies-munchee-ico.html

The SEC just issued a warning to cryptocurrency investors

SEC Chairman Jay Clayton issues warning to investors putting money into cryptocurrencies
SEC warning comes hours after the regulator stopped an "initial coin offering" (ICO) from restaurant review app Munchee
Many platforms trading in cryptocurrencies may also be in violation of laws, securities watchdog says

The chairman of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) on Monday warned investors of the dangers of putting their money into cryptocurrencies, saying trading and public offerings in the emerging asset class may be in violation of federal securities law.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

scott zoloft posted:

There aren't any fees so it doesn't really matter.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
fine i'll get a calculator

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Burt Sexual posted:

There aren't any fees so it doesn't really matter.

gdax is indicating different growth percentages based on USD -> ETH and BTC -> ETH.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I get what people are doing with LTC. I still don't understand what ETH is for.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

yeah but all these futures and poo poo?

Futures are under the purview of the CFTC and NFA as well. The F in both of those abbreviations is Futures.

The sale of exchange-traded products (ETFs, ETNs, etc) based off rolling futures strategies would be subject to the SEC, though, as they are investment companies subject to the Investment Company Act, traded on exchanges subject to the Securities Exchange Act.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

scott zoloft posted:

imo the alt-btc pairs suck. low volume and liquidity. i always trade with USD pairs

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

In the last 24 hours:

Miner revenue: $43,135,449.73
Cost per transaction: $117.51
Average transaction fee: $25.10

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Uranium 235 posted:

imo the alt-btc pairs suck. low volume and liquidity. i always trade with USD pairs

I just did the math and the difference seems negligible which makes sense. What're you talking about?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

XK posted:

In the last 24 hours:

Miner revenue: $43,135,449.73
Cost per transaction: $117.51
Average transaction fee: $25.10

Mastercard :arghfist:

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

scott zoloft posted:

I just did the math and the difference seems negligible which makes sense. What're you talking about?
low volume means that it's hard to get limit orders filled. low liquidity means you're going to have slippage if you market order. volume and liquidity are much better with the USD pairs, so it's easier to get limits filled and markets have a lower chance of slipping

the price that's displayed is usually equivalent to the USD price, but just look at the order book. there's a significant spread

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 12, 2017

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Low volume means few trades have occurred, not necessarily that it's hard to get a trade going.

Low liquidity means what you say, though, and means that it's hard for you to cross the spread to get a trade going, which would then be recorded as volume once made.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Uranium 235 posted:

low volume means that it's hard to get limit orders filled. low liquidity means you're going to have slippage if you market order. volume and liquidity are much better with the USD pairs, so it's easier to get limits filled and markets have a lower chance of slipping

the price that's displayed is usually equivalent to the USD price, but just look at the order book. there's a significant spread

Triglav posted:

Low volume means few trades have occurred, not necessarily that it's hard to get a trade going.

Low liquidity means what you say, though, and means that it's hard for you to cross the spread to get a trade going, which would then be recorded as volume once made.

i get it. thanks!

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
lol if you think the SEC is going to get off their rear end to do literally anything at all

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

LinYutang posted:

lol if you think the SEC is going to get off their rear end to do literally anything at all

Wouldn’t they theoretically come up on a bunch of crypto (the currency of the future) and fiat (currency of the past) through fines and poo poo if they went after these ICOs and what not?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Nessus posted:

Own a complicated financial instrument resting firmly atop a bunch of people deeply committed to a collective delusion that provides strong upward price pressure even in the face of, to be charitable, a lack of evidence.

So I can I cash out bitcoins for U.S. Dollars or trade them for something I can sell for U.S. Dollars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

XK posted:

I get what people are doing with LTC. I still don't understand what ETH is for.

Trading cats