Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I found the worst opinion

https://twitter.com/elisabeth/status/940610349270695936

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

This might be the worst case of projection I've ever seen.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Alter Ego posted:

This might be the worst case of projection I've ever seen.

I'm sure we'll see similar posts in uspol sometime today.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/940613442397880320

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'm sure we'll see similar posts in uspol sometime today.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/940613442397880320

I remember when Klobuchar's first Senate win was after an especially ugly campaign against Mark Kennedy. These days it'd barely be a loving blip.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

the faux-cowboy rape man is going to win, my friends

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

What did it say, they deleted it.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

What did it say, they deleted it.

It was a woman of color saying she thinks the dems are bad because they just expect the AA vote, even though they don't really do anything about the problems facing AAs.

I didn't think it was all that controversial, really.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
it's not deleted, she just fixed a mistake i think. tweet is here:

https://twitter.com/elisabeth/status/940606122318278657

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

botany posted:

Oh I see. Well he was a prosecutor, I thought he was a US Attorney though? I mean but yeah, he probably did put a bunch of people in jail for a long time that didn't deserve it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

"now he campaigns by appeasing LGBTQ-haters, courting misogynists & racists" citation needed

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

botany posted:

Yeah I'm gonna need to see some evidence that he's done anything of the sort.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Lightning Knight posted:

Oh I see. Well he was a prosecutor, I thought he was a US Attorney though? I mean but yeah, he probably did put a bunch of people in jail for a long time that didn't deserve it.

I really don't like "he was a prosecutor and argued that PEOPLE SHOULD GO TO JAIL", almost as much as I hate "As a public defender HE DEFENDED BAD PEOPLE"

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

I really don't like "he was a prosecutor and argued that PEOPLE SHOULD GO TO JAIL", almost as much as I hate "As a public defender HE DEFENDED BAD PEOPLE"

why

there is a big difference between putting people in jail for crimes they didn't commit or things that shouldn't be crimes, and defending people from those things

gently caress prosecutors who continue to empower our incredibly racist justice system

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

In my experience prosecutors care mostly about convicting people, regardless of whether it serves justice. Defense attorneys seem to primarily focus on everyone having the right to a vigorous representation, rather than seeing every client walk. These are very different things, hth.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I dunno that I have a solution to the problem but the fact that out justice system literally pays people to do everything they can to get a guilty verdict is pretty hosed up

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If Jones loses I expect the narrative to shift to "Democrats picked a pro-slavery candidate, of course they lost!"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Koalas March posted:

why

there is a big difference between putting people in jail for crimes they didn't commit or things that shouldn't be crimes, and defending people from those things

a prosecutor is a fundamental part of a legal system that has criminal laws, so unless you're an anarchist it is stupid as gently caress to rant generally about a prosecutor instead of specific bad things you think the prosecutor did

this is especially important for a us attorney, which is different from a local prosecutor w/r/t poor and minorities because federal prosecutors tend not to be doing the jailing of the poor and minorities on penny ante poo poo because it doesn't rise to the level of worth their time, and because a us attorney actually has substantial discretion in what to direct their office to focus on so you can look at what they specifically did instead of your general dislike for the system as a whole

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

cheetah7071 posted:

I dunno that I have a solution to the problem but the fact that out justice system literally pays people to do everything they can to get a guilty verdict is pretty hosed up

well, the solution would be to reform your justice system into something better.

edit:

evilweasel posted:

a prosecutor is a fundamental part of a legal system that has criminal laws, so unless you're an anarchist it is stupid as gently caress to rant generally about a prosecutor instead of specific bad things you think the prosecutor did

this is especially important for a us attorney, which is different from a local prosecutor w/r/t poor and minorities because federal prosecutors tend not to be doing the jailing of the poor and minorities on penny ante poo poo because it doesn't rise to the level of worth their time, and because a us attorney actually has substantial discretion in what to direct their office to focus on so you can look at what they specifically did instead of your general dislike for the system as a whole

prosecutors might be necessary, but adversarial systems are not.

botany fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 12, 2017

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If you don't like prosecutors, I don't think you'll like the system where the judge and prosecutor roles are filled by the same person much better.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

xrunner posted:

In my experience prosecutors care mostly about convicting people, regardless of whether it serves justice. Defense attorneys seem to primarily focus on everyone having the right to a vigorous representation, rather than seeing every client walk. These are very different things, hth.

it's literally the defense attorney's job to do their utmost to have each and every client walk, within ethical limits, no matter how guilty they are

you're confusing their explanation of why their job is what it is with what their job is, which is the sort of mistake that makes me doubt your actual experience here

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

evilweasel posted:

nah I feel pretty confident saying gently caress the justice system as a whole.

It needs to be dismantled and reassembled from top to bottom.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Koalas March posted:

To what

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

how about something less racist to start

yall are acting like I have a problem with prosecutors as a profession, I don't. I have a problem with the way the prosecutors we have now choose to prosecute, which is racist af

I didn't realize "replace everybody with people that aren't racist" was a controversial opinion

#BlackLivesMatter guys

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Koalas March posted:

you've managed to stretch something fairly reasonable, that our justice system is generally bad, into something where you are stupid and your point is stupid, and you will probably support your stupid point by gesturing vaguely in the direction of a correct thing, and insist that your ignorance is actually knowledge. how i know this is because i pointed to specific important details and you did precisely that.

those details are important when judging a specific person on a separate matter which is why it is important. if doug jones is good or bad depends on what he did in the justice system, not your thoughts on the justice system as a whole.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Koalas March posted:

I didn't realize "replace everybody with people that aren't racist" was a controversial opinion
That's not at all what you said, you really strongly seemed to be implying it was the existence of prosecutors as a concept that was a problem.

I completely agree with you that there's endemic racism in the system, and it's awful and terrible and more needs to be done to root it out.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

evilweasel posted:

you've managed to stretch something fairly reasonable, that our justice system is generally bad, into something where you are stupid and your point is stupid, and you will probably support your stupid point by gesturing vaguely in the direction of a correct thing, and insist that your ignorance is actually knowledge. how i know this is because i pointed to specific important details and you did precisely that.

those details are important when judging a specific person on a separate matter which is why it is important. if doug jones is good or bad depends on what he did in the justice system, not your thoughts on the justice system as a whole.

I was never talking about doug jones specifically. calm the gently caress down and stop being a dick jeez

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Koalas March posted:

how about something less racist to start

yall are acting like I have a problem with prosecutors as a profession, I don't. I have a problem with the way the prosecutors we have now choose to prosecute, which is racist af

#BlackLivesMatter guys

ok, what are your problems with the proprietorial decisions made by the us attorney for the state of alabama for the years 1997-2001

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Koalas March posted:

I was never talking about doug jones specifically. calm the gently caress down and stop being a dick jeez

Well, it would be easy to get confused and think you're talking about Doug Jones specifically, since that's what the person you quoted was responding to. The specific accusations against Jones since he was a prosecutor:

botany posted:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Koalas March posted:

then it was an odd time to post your thoughts in a discussion on someone's specific criticism of doug jones

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

evilweasel posted:

ok, what are your problems with the proprietorial decisions made by the us attorney for the state of alabama for the years 1997-2001

this is such a stupid line of questioning. KM is clearly, clearly saying that the endemic racism in the justice system makes every prosecutor complicit, because that's what racist systems do. that's independent of any one individual. you can tuck your law pee pee back into your law pants.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

evilweasel posted:

it's literally the defense attorney's job to do their utmost to have each and every client walk, within ethical limits, no matter how guilty they are

you're confusing their explanation of why their job is what it is with what their job is, which is the sort of mistake that makes me doubt your actual experience here

Most goons’ actual experience is watching Matthew McConnaughy lawyer movies.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

botany posted:

this is such a stupid line of questioning. KM is clearly, clearly saying that the endemic racism in the justice system makes every prosecutor complicit, because that's what racist systems do. that's independent of any one individual. you can tuck your law pee pee back into your law pants.

Indeed anyone who pays taxes is complicit. Sorry For the :psyboom:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

evilweasel posted:

then it was an odd time to post your thoughts in a discussion on someone's specific criticism of doug jones

I was responding to theflyingorc who was talking about the general opinions of prosecutors vs public defenders.

I never quoted anything about Doug Jones.

Like I get that you guys are loving on edge, but don't loving jump on the black person talking about how lovely and racist prosecutors are just because you're all rooting for a different prosecutor to win a loving election.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

botany posted:

prosecutors might be necessary, but adversarial systems are not.

the square root of negative one is i

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

poo poo like this is exactly why black folks don't trust yall fyi

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

yronic heroism posted:

Indeed anyone who pays taxes is complicit. Sorry For the :psyboom:

It's almost as if there's a difference between a taypayer and an active tool of the system.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
edit: fair enough, retraced.

axeil fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 12, 2017

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

axeil posted:

Please describe a justice system that doesn't have prosecutors and yet somehow still remains impartial/fair.

Because that's what you're arguing right now. If that's not your argument, then clarify.

Koalas March posted:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Koalas March posted:

#BlackLivesMatter guys

I mean this seemed very straightforward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

axeil posted:

Please describe a justice system that doesn't have prosecutors and yet somehow still remains impartial/fair.

Because that's what you're arguing right now. If that's not your argument, then clarify.

When asked upthread what they meant by "reform" their answer was "fire the racist fuckheads and hire non-lovely people" which is a pretty good if hard to execute plan imo

• Locked thread