Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I have an ancient laserprinter that connects via a SCSI cable. No PC motherboard in the last fifteen years has had a SCSI port on it so I have to use a USB adapter and it works just fine. In my case it's just some no-name adapter I got from a local big-box store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Unless you have a great deal on the MF scanner, I scan MF with my Epson scanner (550?) and it works fine. And I can use it for documents when I want to as well.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you're dead set on a SCSI scanner it's probably going to be way cheaper to just buy an old Dell or HP small form factor PC and throw a SCSI card into it, throw a copy of XP or Linux on it and go to town.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Martytoof posted:

If you're dead set on a SCSI scanner it's probably going to be way cheaper to just buy an old Dell or HP small form factor PC and throw a SCSI card into it, throw a copy of XP or Linux on it and go to town.

The only thing worse than modern Linux is old Linux. Especially hardware support. *shudder*

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well I mean I don't know if you need an old Linux to get an old scanner up and running. Presumably new kernels still have some semblance of SCSI support so you wouldn't need to to go ancient. You don't even really need an old machine, I just suggested having a small form factor PC so you can literally just pack it up with your scanner when you're not using it. VueScan and Linux and an old PC with a SCSI card are probably all you'd need, and will probably be easier to get running than a USB to SCSI adapter but I'm just talking out my rear end here since I've never tried a USB-SCSI adapter.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
It's literally just a cable with a SCSI connector at one end and a USB plug at the other. I guess there's a small logic board inside the housing for the SCSI connector that converts the signal into something USB friendly, but it's a completely plug and play device that costs about $15.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

ReverendHammer posted:

There's something about this pic I really like. A bit of it is the colors... and some of it is the geese basically going "What are you doing?"

One of the bread dispensers approached them holding a small, shiny bread. They swept their heads low to the ground near the dispenser, but were unable to locate any morsels.

Anyway, here's my Cinestill 50D review.

It was fun and I liked it better than Fuji 400H, but it's not going replace Portra 160 (or Gold 200) as my 35mm daylight color negative film. Very fine grain. Color rendition is muted, like Fuji Astia but lower contrast (and still being sold). Halation effects are very noticeable and appear as orange-pink haze around strong light.

I'm curious how it compares to Portra 160 shot at 80 ISO.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

It's literally just a cable with a SCSI connector at one end and a USB plug at the other. I guess there's a small logic board inside the housing for the SCSI connector that converts the signal into something USB friendly, but it's a completely plug and play device that costs about $15.

Ok I'm definitely going to need a link to a $15 SCSI to USB adapter because they were all like $150+ last time I checked.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I guess you're right. I just checked and my printer has an RS232 port, not SCSI.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I shot 2 rolls of family pictures this Thanksgiving on my Pentax 67. I just scanned them and got 20 completely usable photos. Shooting film is awesome.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I got some good pictures with my GS-1 over the holiday weekend too, including some good family pics, but all the shots from the really cool gravel pits and quarries that I visited were unreasonably blurry. At first, I couldn't figure out why. I used fast shutter speeds so it shouldn't have been a problem. I later realized that it was because there's a very brief pause between the mirror flip and the firing of the shutter, and I was so rushed that I was already lowering my camera right as the shutter fired for my three of my favorite scenes. Oh well, they're still usable for posting on IG. But the lesson is to always slow down and make sure you're doing everything right, especially when you've only got ten frames to a roll.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Welp, after a few years of owning zero, I now own a Pentax ME camera again. Three, to be specific.. Two plain Jane MEs, and one ME-F which I didn’t even know existed until today. Prices were so low that I didn’t mind investing in a few bodies just to have a few in case of failure or if one has poo poo shutter speeds, or even if I just want to swap film mid roll.

I forgot just how great these tiny cameras feel in the hand. Perfect size and I don’t at all mind the aperture priority only mechanism for like 99% of my shooting. If the ME-F arrives and is in good condition then I’ll have a something capable of manual as well.

Picked up a 50 1.7 which is the only lens I really want, but also grabbed an m42 adapter since I have a few of those threaded lenses lying around.

Can’t remember why I sold my MEs back in the day but I’m never making that mistake again.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I've been shooting Portra 400 wide open in bright sunlight with good results, even though technically I'm overexposing by 4 stops. Think I'm going to experiment with ND filters to see if correctly exposed photos look any better or not.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Velvia 50

Mosteiro dos Jerónimos by Cacator, on Flickr

Castelo de São Jorge by Cacator, on Flickr

Convento da Ordem do Carmo by Cacator, on Flickr

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

my first attempts at color film, not really sure what I'm doing! b&w has always been sort of a crutch for me (my excuse up until now is that I can develop those at home), so I'm forcing myself to take only color rolls with me.

this is all point & shoot but that thread was archived so here ya go:

gold 200

ultramax 400

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Just ran across this video. The amount of equipment this guy owns to print from 4x5 Velvia. :psyduck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnxxHS6msDE

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

akadajet posted:

Just ran across this video. The amount of equipment this guy owns to print from 4x5 Velvia. :psyduck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnxxHS6msDE

and he uses it to print some poo poo like a puddle with some leaves in it.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
My locals store ran out of HP5+ just days before I am going to a trip. Has anybody here used Ilford Delta Pro 400, and if so, how does it compare? How it responds to pushing/pulling?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

The Claptain posted:

My locals store ran out of HP5+ just days before I am going to a trip. Has anybody here used Ilford Delta Pro 400, and if so, how does it compare? How it responds to pushing/pulling?

I use Ilford Delta quite a lot. It's somewhere between HP5+ and Fomapan in graininess. Better contrast than HP5+ too. I have pushed 400 by two stops and it came out just fine, you couldn't tell that it had been pushed at all, there was no significant extra grain or the heavy local contrast you'd normally get.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the advice, I forgot to mention that I have shot Delta Pro 100 before, so knowing I can expect more or less the same from Pro 400 is nice.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Deltas are typically lower grain, do I remember that correctly?

I'm about to pick up a 100ft bulk and I'm eyeing Delta 400 as well. I actually have a half spool of SOMETHING which I don't remember in my bulk loader, but it's been sitting in fluctuating temperature for like four years now, including a super hot garage, and I'm probably just going to not risk it.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

8th-snype posted:

and he uses it to print some poo poo like a puddle with some leaves in it.

looks nice on a wall. can't say that about too many of my shots.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Martytoof posted:

Deltas are typically lower grain, do I remember that correctly?

Delta is Ilford's line of tabular-grained film, like TMax is with Kodak. The grain tends to be finer than a conventionally-grained film at the same speed, but also more "regular", which changes the film's behavior a bit when you're pushing or making really big enlargements.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

akadajet posted:

looks nice on a wall. can't say that about too many of my shots.

have more respect for walls please

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
So I bought a used enlarger and I guess the previous owner was a follower of the church of more lube is more better. Its brown, its super sticky, it smells and its vaporized over all the glass. I'd say it was motor oil but no one would do that to a lens right? RIGHT? Poor thing; you're getting a full cleaning and some Helimax-XP.

No helicoid makes giving these lenses a refurb a piece of cake.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 17, 2017

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sauer posted:

So I bought a used enlarger and I guess the previous owner was a follower of the church of more lube is more better.

It's like soldering. The bigger the blob, the better the job.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I did it! I made photo paper less valuable!

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
i have got to set up my dark room

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
My darkroom is a little cramped. There's a toilet and shower in it for some reason.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Sauer posted:

My darkroom is a little cramped. There's a toilet and shower in it for some reason.

The toilet is for true art

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!

Sauer posted:

all so you never have to leave, ofc

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I finally scanned the two rolls of Portra NC I shot in August. These are also the first color photos I've shot in a very long time. Overall I'm pretty pleased. I think I'll leave scanning to the lab next time, color is far more time consuming than b&w.

Taipei August 2017 by Internet User, on Flickr

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
Untitled by glorge, on Flickr

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

meatpotato posted:

I finally scanned the two rolls of Portra NC I shot in August. These are also the first color photos I've shot in a very long time. Overall I'm pretty pleased. I think I'll leave scanning to the lab next time, color is far more time consuming than b&w.

These are cool. Way cooler than the gleaming tower cityscapes that pop up at the top of any image search. Taipei looking humid and sticky af though.

--

Update on the Cosina 107-SW & 15mm: still cool. Very strong contrast. These were on Kodak Gold 200:

Also having fun messing around with the FE2 and a 300mm f4 ED AF:

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

SMERSH Mouth posted:

These are cool. Way cooler than the gleaming tower cityscapes that pop up at the top of any image search. Taipei looking humid and sticky af though.

--

Update on the Cosina 107-SW & 15mm: still cool. Very strong contrast. These were on Kodak Gold 200:

Also having fun messing around with the FE2 and a 300mm f4 ED AF:

Hell yeah, thank you --it means a lot since I'm very amateurish. Also, Taipei is without a doubt my favorite city on earth (basically what I imagine mid-90s Tokyo to be, but cheaper, more raw and better food) and it really does get sweaty as hell in summer. Still worth it.

And I'm also still envious of that Cosina you basically stole, your photos are fantastic.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Really liking this and the other urb-explorationish photos on your Flickr :)

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009

meatpotato posted:

Really liking this and the other urb-explorationish photos on your Flickr :)

Hey thanks!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Misc posted:

ultramax 400

mmm omg yum

edit: max800 is good and tasty

crunchy pal

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
So I was about to shoot a few rolls of Velvia 50. Have any of you done any at-home E6 processing? I did do a little B&W processing a few decades ago (enough to remember to not splash it in your eyes or drink it) but wondering if it is worth not sending off your slides to process in the mail.