Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Say, dudes. I'm trying to keep up but this thread is moving ridiculously fast.

My girlfriend recently got me to play through Monster Hunter Stories, which was wonderful. I know that it's a dramatic departure from the regular games, but there are elements of this game that also exist in regular Monster Hunter and I think I would like to try those. So Monster Hunter World is coming soon and I played the beta and thought it was okay, but I need some advice.

First: I generally play solo. I work a graveyard shift, which means (at least in the case of the last several multiplayer-focused games I tried) getting into a decent game when I am awake kind of sucks. Can this game even be played solo? Edit to add: I know it can be played solo, but what I mean is...is it going to be like hitting a wall of difficulty after the tutorial section?

I generally don't like multiplayer games. I heard on a podcast someone say something like, "Just jump into Monster Hunter, someone will quickly skip you through the first forty hours by giving you good equipment," or something like that. That's generally why I don't play; I LIKE the early grind. I like the first forty hours usually a lot more than the next forty hours.

I guess I worry that if I play this game, I'm going to just be playing catchup during lovely hours while the rest of the world is having a race to the endgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

credburn posted:

First: I generally play solo. I work a graveyard shift, which means (at least in the case of the last several multiplayer-focused games I tried) getting into a decent game when I am awake kind of sucks. Can this game even be played solo? Edit to add: I know it can be played solo, but what I mean is...is it going to be like hitting a wall of difficulty after the tutorial section?

Previous MH games had a singleplayer story campaign that was easily soloable, followed by multiplayer content that you may still solo but was usually balanced with 2+ players in mind. The story stuff still provided you with 30-40 hours worth of content, although certain monsters and the highest difficulty tier were only available in the multiplayer questline.

This time around they're merging both, every mission will be playable alone or in multiplayer. They said monsters will scale accordingly, so you should be fine. The whole point of this release is to make the game more accessible for the western market so I wouldn't worry about that.

If anything I'm worried solo will feel too easy after getting used to the harder multiplayer-focused stuff from earlier games.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

credburn posted:

I generally don't like multiplayer games. I heard on a podcast someone say something like, "Just jump into Monster Hunter, someone will quickly skip you through the first forty hours by giving you good equipment," or something like that. That's generally why I don't play; I LIKE the early grind. I like the first forty hours usually a lot more than the next forty hours.

I guess I worry that if I play this game, I'm going to just be playing catchup during lovely hours while the rest of the world is having a race to the endgame.

No big deal. For a couple of reasons

If you prefer solo play, that's fine. World doesn't even distinguish between "solo" and "online" quests LIKE the old games did (there is still a distinction). This means that you will be able to explore ALL of the content and have it balanced around solo play, and (to the best of our understanding) will not NEED to play with anyone else in order to progress.

That doesn't mean you won't hit walls. The game is notorious for asking players to get out of their comfort zone - break old habits, which may not even be bad habits. Etc. Since encounter designs are built to be VERY healthy, you can't realistically just face roll your way through things and skate by (for long) on luck.

If you're OK at handling failures, then I think you'll be OK with World - only messing with Multiplayer when (for example) you aim to grind for upgrading gear. If we were talking about previous games I wouldn't say that so confidently. In those games, even if you TECHNICALLY can solo everything in the portable games, more than half of the quests were exclusively balanced for multiplayer. From what we hear about World, every quest will have a solo-friendly balance mode.

e:I also prefer the early game progression, and if you want to hang out there, but still eventually, or periodically play multi it's not a big deal. Just ask people with high hunter-ranks to self moderate-use weaker weapons- and they will usually comply.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 12, 2017

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

credburn posted:

Bombcast? I remember hearing that recently. You can't give someone gear.

Multiplayer with nicely geared (and skilled) people definitely can get you past hurdles you shouldn't be getting past but that's something you have to opt in on. You could hook up with poopsocker goons and get the fast track if that's your fancy. If you want to play it purely solo then you can do that and the game will scale appropriately. You can even start a quest, decide you want help, and call other people into your game for that specific quest. Pretty much forget anything you've heard about multiplayer previous games, aside from them being really fun co-op, because it has all changed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also online play is worldwide, so you'll probably be able to get some hunters from Japan at least.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Mailer posted:

Bombcast? I remember hearing that recently. You can't give someone gear.

I think it was Kotaku, maybe...

Anyway, thanks, guys. You've changed my mind; I'll definitely get it, now.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
So you can get 3 level 2 songs going out of what, like 7 attacks if you triple up the songs, free note after any O notes, and encore?

Optimal bagpiping

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I'm in Sweden, played with three friends in Japan, none of us found any latency issues, they expected me to glide and skip around but it was flawless. Game's going to live long and prosper but it really helps if you are the kind of player who doesn't believe that a game is over when the credits roll, the player that can do things over and over again because it's fun to play.

Three hours left until the beta goes down and I still haven't managed a Pukei Pukei spawn.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Is the Charge Blade's Ultra Burst out in Monster Hunter World? I tried to do it in the beta but it just seemed to be a Super Burst and my shield didn't lose charge.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Cat Machine posted:

Is the Charge Blade's Ultra Burst out in Monster Hunter World? I tried to do it in the beta but it just seemed to be a Super Burst and my shield didn't lose charge.

The ultra no longer takes away your shield charge.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

HELL FUCKIN YEAH

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I basically chose my main weapon by seeing which of the leading candidates' big burst attacks I could land most consistently, so switch axe wins. The longsword's Spirit Helm Splitter and charge blade's Ultra Element Discharge attacks are huge whiff-a-thons for me, but I can pretty consistently land a full sword combo into an Element Discharge with the switch axe so :thumbsup:

Honestly switch axe seems like a pretty solid newbie weapon, which is probably why they default you to it in the beta. It's more complex on the surface than something like sword and shield, but it's less reliant on specific combos for its damage, and it has probably the simplest charge-and-release setup of any of that type of weapon. Plus, those huge vertical swings in both modes are great for smacking tails and heads.

In the full game I really want to give some more time to learning the hunting horn, so I can :toot: all day long

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

credburn posted:

This is bollocks, you can't give people weapons and armor. (is there anything more obnoxious in games than people trying to "powerlevel" you?) People can show up to early quests with better weapons and armor and trivialize it for you but simply sticking to solo will fix that if it ends up being a common thing, and it wasn't in my experience.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That podcast line is better used to describe Diablo, not Monster Hunter. You have to source your own materials for gear so that means going out and murdering, whether you have well equipped friends to help you or alone.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
https://gematsu.com/2017/12/monster-hunter-world-introduces-bounties-research-quests
Game's already getting better

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It looks like the monsters your cat befriends only last for a limit time. really disappointing if true. It's possible the jagras just died and I wasn't paying attention but the cat's message didn't sound like he did

e: Fake news, the jagras stays for 10+ minutes to the end of the quest in this video so he must have been poisoned in my game and I didn't notice

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 12, 2017

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

"Paid content that does not affect game progression is also planned, such as outfits for the receptionist."

Welp, looks like I'll be paying cold hard cash for the return of the Guildmarm.

Jalisr
Dec 11, 2011
I gave speedkilling Rathalos a shot with the CB and with environmental hazards, and they're a lot more useful than I expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE1xwXJPrjQ

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
So is there a good place to order/preorder this? I've never preordered a game for myself before. Are there any neat, uh, you know. Thingies to go with it? The game is released right around my girlfriend's birthday; what a great excuse it would be to get the game for me and some kind of Felyne doll or action figure or whatever for her!

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
https://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/monster-hunter-world-collectors-edition-only-at-gamestop/153637

Dunno how much she would appreciate a Nergigante sculpture, but there ya go

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It just occurred to me this is the first time I'll play a MH game that didn't already have an obsessively detailed wiki at US launch.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

credburn posted:

So is there a good place to order/preorder this? I've never preordered a game for myself before. Are there any neat, uh, you know. Thingies to go with it? The game is released right around my girlfriend's birthday; what a great excuse it would be to get the game for me and some kind of Felyne doll or action figure or whatever for her!

There's a collector's edition with a statue of Nergigante that is available only at gamestop - Kiggles linked it above - but if you're looking specifically for "cute" merchandise, a better option might be to preorder the base or deluxe versions (the latter just comes with costumes/emotes/etc) and then pick up a plushy from the capcom website. They have these adorable little rathalos, rathian, and kutku dolls that ship in big plastic eggs and aren't too expensive.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Huxley posted:

It just occurred to me this is the first time I'll play a MH game that didn't already have an obsessively detailed wiki at US launch.

Good thing for you it seems like the game actually surfaces a lot of the information most people use the wiki for.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Huxley posted:

Based off the beta it seems like the game is gonna take a lot of the esoteric poo poo from the old games and make it accessible, which should be a good thing but I played the beta a whole bunch and it felt... wrong??? for a Monster Hunter to be lacking in jank and weird bullshit

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

credburn posted:

I've always played these games at my own pace and have never had a problem. For every impatient dude who wants to blitz to end game there's like ten people who are just wanting to do whatever. And it's pretty rare to get people joining lower rooms with OP poo poo unless they are helping a friend.

Like my pace is glacial too cause I'm this warped player who actually likes to build low rank armor while also building multiple weapons.

Just start playing closer towards launch if possible is my only suggestion and not like in a year and a half.

[e] I will say the end game in Monster Hunter Cross was super lovely and I punched out of that one and still had something stupid like 150 hours played - I was really glad to have taken my time. MH4U had two end games basically and was much better.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
How spoiled we'll all be with Health up on armor giving us health.

Back in my day Health +5 got you halfway to the 10 points you needed to get Health (S) which gave you 20 Health.

Or something, it's been a while.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Incidentally you can't really easily get power skipped to end game without jumping through hoops given how the quest structure in the game works. There's usually so many unlocks that it's in your best interest to just do nearly everything even in the lower ranks.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I love be the addition of input prompts. They're small and out of the way in the corner of the screen so you can ignore them if you want, but I have a terrible memory so being reminded how to access all the relevant combo finishers is perfect for me while learning the weapons. Thanks to that and overhauling every weapon types' movesets I actually want to use and maintain something of every type. It's great!

If anyone was timing out on Anjanath because they couldn't find him, I may have found why. Anja appears to spawn sometimes on the out of bounds rock pillars west of the bottom left camp and hops along until he reaches area 8. A friend and I spotted him last night making the trek and getting stuck on his final hop midair just to reappear where started repeatedly. He proceeded to hop fruitlessly for 5 minutes while we pelted him with redpits until the game caught on and forcibly spawned him on closest hill. Rathalos got caught in a similar loop this morning, perpetually flying from one spot to another and back for ~7 minutes without ever landing. Hopefully this is either extremely rare or isn't present in the full version.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Funkmaster General posted:

There's a collector's edition with a statue of Nergigante that is available only at gamestop - Kiggles linked it above - but if you're looking specifically for "cute" merchandise, a better option might be to preorder the base or deluxe versions (the latter just comes with costumes/emotes/etc) and then pick up a plushy from the capcom website. They have these adorable little rathalos, rathian, and kutku dolls that ship in big plastic eggs and aren't too expensive.

I'll note the Kut-Ku doll is loving adorable. I bought one at PAX East a couple years back and love it.

I love the fact that there is no longer a Gunner/Blademaster divide for armor too. I did notice that when I put on different weapons they had different bonuses though, on the weapon itself I mean. When wielding any non-ranged weapon it noted "Receives less damage from physical attacks" and on ranged weapons "Receives less damage from elemental attacks". So I guess that is the way they went about a re-balance for the armor values.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I'll note the Kut-Ku doll is loving adorable. I bought one at PAX East a couple years back and love it.

Yeah, the stuffed animals of the monsters are generally pretty cute. I have a Lagiacrus, Deviljho and Malfestio, along with a Poogie a friend got me for Christmas.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

45 days :(
Looking forward to see how crazy the midgame+ weapons look. Gotta ask friends in JP to send me some MH stuff from the gacha machines.

The kind of walls you can sprint up on and leap from for a special attack were hard to spot, in the training stage it's the one that looks climbable and covered with mushrooms, in the wild though? Charging while sliding down = also allowing to unleash neat attacks and mount running beasts.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
This isn't important in the least at all but I loved how when you went XXX_DEMON-MODE_XXX you held your daggers backwards like an anime assassin.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Is it worthwhile to pre-order this, or will I be able to go to a store and pick it up?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I always preorder Amazon for the $12 off, but other than that I think you'll be able to walk in anywhere and grab it release day.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

RC Cola posted:

Is it worthwhile to pre-order this, or will I be able to go to a store and pick it up?

Unless you're into anime dating sims with included body pillow cover, you never need to preorder to get a copy on launch day. Hell, even if they do somehow run out, you can buy it digitally, too.

There are some preorder bonuses, so if you want those, then by all means. You'll also want to preorder if you want the collector's edition, but it isn't worth worrying about if you are planning on getting the base version.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Wind Charm and Origin Set are the pre-order bonuses for physical ("day one") and PSN, PSN has a Digital Deluxe pack for $10 more featuring

quote:

The digital deluxe edition includes the following content:
-Samurai Set
-Additional Gesture 1: Zen
-Additional Gesture 2: Ninja Star
-Additional Gesture 3: Sumo Slap
-Additional Sticker Set 1: MH All-Stars Set
-Additional Sticker Set 2: Sir Loin Set
-Additional Face Paint: Wyvern
-Additional Hairstyle: Topknot
-14 Special Avatars

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Pierson posted:

This isn't important in the least at all but I loved how when you went XXX_DEMON-MODE_XXX you held your daggers backwards like an anime assassin.

Yeah I liked that as well, it's an easy and readable way to see if you're in demon form too.

Long wait now

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sir loin

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Monster Hunter is kind of like Splatoon for me. I get them digital so I don't need to gently caress around with discs or carts and it's always right there in my system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Have they said if there's transmog like in xx