Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ghostlight posted:

It loses a lot of its impact outside of the context of 2000AD though where was introduced as a new strip running concurrently with Judge Dredd.

I guess you'd have to read Necropolis at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toastline
Dec 7, 2005
Chain Chomp
I started reading Dredd from the beginning a while ago, and now I'm sad to learn that it's not all like that, because there are some great bits.

(I don't remember what issues these were from)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay that bottom one made me lol

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Toastline posted:

I started reading Dredd from the beginning a while ago, and now I'm sad to learn that it's not all like that, because there are some great bits.

(I don't remember what issues these were from)

This one is loving amazing.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Yeah, while I can't recommend going blind into the very beginning, early Dredd definitely has a lot of charm and is worth checking out still, you probably even could start there as long as you remember that the tone and target audience are a little different from the rest of the comic.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You lose a lot of good 'silver-age' stuff by skipping the early years, too.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The original stuff starts somewhere in 2000AD right?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Toshimo posted:

Yeah, most of Judge Dredd is from 2000AD

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Toshimo posted:

There's like 1 issue in the first 10 that doesn't have a Dredd strip, but otherwise, he's always been a part of 2000AD.

Which reminds me I gotta get back into reading them in order as one of my masochistic comic projects. It's funny, the first year or so, Dredd is actually one of the most lighthearted of the strips in there. Like, MACH 1 and INVASION! are straight up pure men's paperback pulp actioners.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Good to see the Dredd talk in here, gotta love the Judge.

Toshimo posted:

If someone wanted to go back and read Dredd, but had never started, where's a good starting point?

Judge Dredd: Case Files #2 is a great book to read, has the first two mega epics, notably extended stories that have long term effects. Plus they're just very entertaining stories, The Cursed Earth and the Day The Law Died. The writer who created Dredd, John Wagner, is still the main writer today, and my pick for best writer in comics. So whether you want to start at the beginning, jump around, you can't go wrong like everybody is saying. I'd definitely read Case Files #2, also the first couple Judge Death stories are must read, those are in a compilation called Death Lives if you don't go for the Case Files those landed in. Case Files 14 has the Necropolis epic, and the follow up to the Dead Man story mentioned earlier (available separately), really great stuff with watercolory color art. Even if you don't get that Dead Man story, that Case Files starts with a follow up of that explaining what happened.

Other must reads from the 90s would be America, The Pit, I like Case Files 21 which has Wilderlands, and in general I'd say from Case Files 27 upward is great. And the latest stuff is weekly in 2000AD and monthly in the Judge Dredd Megazine, both are collected in the Case Files, just a couple decades behind. Some later trades you'd want are Origins, the Tour of Duty ones, the Day of Chaos ones, and Dark Justice.

https://www.amazon.com/Judge-Dredd-Complete-Case-Files/dp/1906735999 (Case Files 2)

2000ad.org is a great resource, here's a page that lists everything John Wagner has written for example. http://2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=johnw

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 12, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Having not really read much Dredd, I've always gotten the feeling that it's not particularly continuity-heavy, and as long as you understand the basic conceits, you'll probably understand and enjoy it

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Endless Mike posted:

Having not really read much Dredd, I've always gotten the feeling that it's not particularly continuity-heavy, and as long as you understand the basic conceits, you'll probably understand and enjoy it

Mega City Two has been wiped out so many times, but it still manages to be overpopulated.

Yeah, you can hop in almost anywhere. A lot of stuff gets retconned or ignored.

Is the Cursed Earth in that collection the censored one? Because really you need the full burger wars.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's a good call, it's great for history that the uncensored one with the fast food interlude was published again recently. Even without that though, Case Files 2 is a lot of bang for your buck with The Day The Law Died in there.

While it's true that you can hop in anywhere, there is some nice continuity over the years, stuff like PJ Maybe (the serial killer kid) in the 80s growing up, going through different identities etc. And if you do hop in for more recent stuff, which is a win either way, there's so much great stuff over the years you would want to check out as well.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Reminded me of this one.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

Good to see the Dredd talk in here, gotta love the Judge.

Judge Dredd: Case Files #2 is a great book to read, has the first two mega epics, notably extended stories that have long term effects. Plus they're just very entertaining stories, The Cursed Earth and the Day The Law Died. The writer who created Dredd, John Wagner, is still the main writer today, and my pick for best writer in comics. So whether you want to start at the beginning, jump around, you can't go wrong like everybody is saying. I'd definitely read Case Files #2, also the first couple Judge Death stories are must read, those are in a compilation called Death Lives if you don't go for the Case Files those landed in. Case Files 14 has the Necropolis epic, and the follow up to the Dead Man story mentioned earlier (available separately), really great stuff with watercolory color art. Even if you don't get that Dead Man story, that Case Files starts with a follow up of that explaining what happened.

Other must reads from the 90s would be America, The Pit, I like Case Files 21 which has Wilderlands, and in general I'd say from Case Files 27 upward is great. And the latest stuff is weekly in 2000AD and monthly in the Judge Dredd Megazine, both are collected in the Case Files, just a couple decades behind. Some later trades you'd want are Origins, the Tour of Duty ones, the Day of Chaos ones, and Dark Justice.

https://www.amazon.com/Judge-Dredd-Complete-Case-Files/dp/1906735999 (Case Files 2)

2000ad.org is a great resource, here's a page that lists everything John Wagner has written for example. http://2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=johnw

You have to read either Death Lives or Case Files #5, in order to get The Dark Judges. It introduces Judge Death's three minions (Judges Fear, Fire, and Mortis), and gives context for the greatest single panel in the history of comics.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Skwirl posted:

This one is loving amazing.

One of my favorites is a short strip where the dude is wandering along the sidewalk minding his own business, when suddenly Dredd shouts out "stop, citizen" at him. The dude panics and runs, terrified that THE Judge Dredd is after him so he must be in some serious poo poo, with the remainder of the strip being him going through an escalating series of actions to try to escape with Dredd in hot pursuit: he pushes someone off an escalator to their death, assaults various people and finally kidnaps a little girl and threatens to kill her if Dredd doesn't back off. Dredd naturally subdues him, and as he's making the arrest and prepares to send him to the cubes for decades, Dredd pulls the guy's file and notes that the guy is completely clean and has never so much gotten a fine for anything. Dredd asks him why he ran and the guy says it was just his reaction to being yelled at to stop by a Judge of Dredd's standing, and then he asks why Dredd told him to stop in the first place:

Mmmmmm that's good commentary.

Why did we never get a Paul Verhoeven Dredd film?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
What I'm gathering from these littering panels is that Judge Dredd is a very eco-friendly man. Captain Planet would be proud.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

TwoPair posted:

What I'm gathering from these littering panels is that Judge Dredd is a very eco-friendly man. Captain Planet would be proud.

Nah, he just knows that littering is against the law, and nothing is more important to Dredd than the law.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I don't think you can go wrong just reading the Case Files in order. There's a lot more overt sci fi early on, with robots being a big part of society and a support cast of a robot named Walter and a very stereotypical Italian maid adding some goofy humor. My wife and I have up through 11 I think and the quality hasn't really gone down and we both love that style of line art.

There's a great visual cameo in Top Ten where you see Walter in the background with his "I'm Walter--Try Me" on the front of his body.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Choco1980 posted:

Nah, he just knows that littering is against the law, and nothing is more important to Dredd than the law.

The Law?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6cyDsuNx_U

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

As predictable as it is satisfying

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
Yeah, I picked up the first Judge Dread compilation some years ago. I really got a kick out of the Call-Me-Kenneth robot war cycle. Now, complete with Godwin's Law.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I felt like someone could make use of that panel so I looked around for a high resolution page

and in color

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo

I'm going through Judge Dredd for the first time and... This panel... Jesus.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

UWBW posted:

Uncontrollable Butt Frenzy is the name of my new indie rock band.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Sure, Jack. Ok. We'll do that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ugh, Michael Fleisher.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

joehonkie posted:

Sure, Jack. Ok. We'll do that.

This is like the time the GI Joe guys ran out of ammo and had to club a bunch of seals with their guns.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

"Thou hast much kindness in thee, friend." :3:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

prefect posted:

"Thou hast much kindness in thee, friend." :3:

Anyone other than (that version of) Thor, that would be dripping with sarcasm.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

UWBW posted:

Very little beats Judge Death on stage in Gotham, singing his take on Sympathy for the Devil

from Batman/Judge Dredd: Judgment on Gotham

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure where I started, my dad had a bunch of Judge Dredd which I think is the early stuff, including both Judge Death & The Judge Child Saga. I tried picking up some of the more modern stuff, but it didn't hit as well, though that may just be due to age these days?

What really caught my attention were what also he had in that collection. Rogue Trooper was a pretty excellent story I need to finish, but for me and my love of Transformers and other robots back in the 80s, what caught my attention was The ABC Warriors:

Very great story arc with lots of smaller tales, and definitely worth picking up the first two volumes. I didn't realize until I was much older how much this mirrored the Seven Samurai, but it's definitely one I re-read when I can. I hear though that you shouldn't read onward, apparently things get weird? But definitely give the first art a read, I thought it was pretty great and had a lot of good characters.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

RedMagus posted:

I'm not sure where I started, my dad had a bunch of Judge Dredd which I think is the early stuff, including both Judge Death & The Judge Child Saga. I tried picking up some of the more modern stuff, but it didn't hit as well, though that may just be due to age these days?

What really caught my attention were what also he had in that collection. Rogue Trooper was a pretty excellent story I need to finish, but for me and my love of Transformers and other robots back in the 80s, what caught my attention was The ABC Warriors:

Very great story arc with lots of smaller tales, and definitely worth picking up the first two volumes. I didn't realize until I was much older how much this mirrored the Seven Samurai, but it's definitely one I re-read when I can. I hear though that you shouldn't read onward, apparently things get weird? But definitely give the first art a read, I thought it was pretty great and had a lot of good characters.

It gets extremely weird, but you absolutely should read onward.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Linking from this week's All-New Wolverine.

Can't say I care for the name but the cover parodies rule. Also, is that Daken? How is he back?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

zoux posted:

Linking from this week's All-New Wolverine.

Can't say I care for the name but the cover parodies rule. Also, is that Daken? How is he back?

So now there's another young Wolverine-type? I just got the Too Many Cooks song in my head but with bubs instead of cooks.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

davebo posted:

So now there's another young Wolverine-type? I just got the Too Many Cooks song in my head but with bubs instead of cooks.

Too many Snikts.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bunnyofdoom posted:

Too many Snikts.

A Nero Wolfe/X-Men Mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

davebo posted:

https://imgur.com/a/k7mxh I believe it's been linked before.