Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

astral posted:

Could be for cash advances.

Ahh forgot about that. It's hilarious the U.S. credit card industry hasn't sorted all this out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I don't get the Priority Pass thing--- are their lounges noticeably higher quality than the other airline lounges? I guess domestic ones tend to be so lovely that it's not hard to beat. I haven't paid for an airline lounge for a long time, so is like $25 or w/e PP charges that much cheaper than an airline lounge?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Pekinduck posted:

Ahh forgot about that. It's hilarious the U.S. credit card industry hasn't sorted all this out yet.

Yeah. Nothin' like misconfigured terminals that, despite having chip&contactless support, make me sign for a $0.43 purchase. Especially if I used apple pay. This happened to me just last week!

If you ever want to see it handled nicely, take a trip to a big city in Canada. Near-ubiquitous contactless support, so apple pay works pretty much everywhere. Even restaurants had servers bringing over a little portable terminal which had chip/contactless support. It was so simple, convenient, and nice.

e:

Elysium posted:

Coming up on a year on my Reserve, I'll be keeping it for at least another year, does the Priority Pass membership renew?

Yeah, from what I understand they'll send you out an entirely new pass.

Blinkman987 posted:

I don't get the Priority Pass thing--- are their lounges noticeably higher quality than the other airline lounges? I guess domestic ones tend to be so lovely that it's not hard to beat. I haven't paid for an airline lounge for a long time, so is like $25 or w/e PP charges that much cheaper than an airline lounge?

The priority passes that come with the premium cards generally let you into participating lounges for free with varying policies on whether you can bring guests in for free or at $27 per person or so. Each lounge is going to be different (and have its own policies/restrictions, such as what time it's open to priority pass members); you can get more info on each individual lounge at the priority pass website, and you can go further and check reviews for individual lounges online if you want to see some more pictures or get an idea of what's offered. Last time I flew out of LAX, for example, my CSR priority pass got me into the Alaska Boardroom. They have a fantastic little machine there where you press a button and it cooks you two pancakes. 10/10, would press OK 1 time for 2 pancakes again.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Blinkman987 posted:

Not sure what you mean, you get a free priority pass with the credit card and the priority pass gets you in free to the lounge. The quality of the lounges vary wildly, from dentists waiting room with soda to high class free bar and good food, iPads and cookies.

Most priority pass lounges aren't as good as the top airline loyalty ones but again, free. I hear the better lounges are in Europe.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Ah, thanks for the explanation. I was confused because my Hilton Surpass Amex comes with the standard membership, and I didn't know the Reserve has unlimited entries membership.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Briantist posted:

It's funny I recently decided to find a card that has:
  • No annual fee
  • No foreign transaction fee
  • Chip & PIN support

I only found 1 that wasn't through some weird credit union, and it's the BofA Travel Rewards card.

Just a few months later and that Uber card came out (through Barclays), so now I don't even need the BofA anymore.

Barclay Arrival does this too.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

baquerd posted:

Barclay Arrival does this too.

They stopped offering this card. I still have mine and you might be able to downgrade the Arrival+ to it but the direct application pages for it are gone now. I think the Uber card is better regardless though so I will probably cancel my regular Arrival.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Penfed has a no annual fee credit card with offline chip+pin and no foreign transaction fee. USAA used to, but switched to chip+signature with online only pin when chips became common in the US.

Winter Rose
Sep 27, 2007

Understand how unstable the truth can be.

I'm in the market for a new credit card for all-around purchasing and am looking for something simple with high rewards, like the Citi DoubleCash. But I'm reading a bunch of Nerdwallet reviews saying the card has terrible security and customer service, which is worrying. I'm also considering the CapitalOne Quicksilver for the zero foreign transaction fees, though the cash back is 1.5%. Its reviews are also better. Should I be worried about the bad Citi reviews? Any other cards I should consider?

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Winter Rose posted:

I'm in the market for a new credit card for all-around purchasing and am looking for something simple with high rewards, like the Citi DoubleCash. But I'm reading a bunch of Nerdwallet reviews saying the card has terrible security and customer service, which is worrying. I'm also considering the CapitalOne Quicksilver for the zero foreign transaction fees, though the cash back is 1.5%. Its reviews are also better. Should I be worried about the bad Citi reviews? Any other cards I should consider?

Have you considered the Discover IT card? It's only a 1% cashback card, but at the end of the first year they double your cash back, in turn making it a 2% back card for the first year. You can also get a $50 sign up bonus if you use someones referral link (I'm sure someone in this thread can hook you up), which will also double at the end of the first year, making it a $100 sign up bonus.

It'd be good for a year and after that you could see if there are any other cards out there that are better. The only issue is I know Discover isn't as widely accepted as Visa or MasterCard. I cant speak to how much less it's accepted though, as I've never had a Discover card.

For what it's worth, I use my CapitalOne Quicksilver for most of my purchases and I have no complaints about it, and the $150 sign up bonus is easily attainable.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Winter Rose posted:

You shouldn't give much stock to Nerdwallet posters. They do weird things with their cards. I've have my Citi DoubleCash card for a month now and I've had no issues at all with my daily spending. The closest thing I would even consider is when they locked my card the first day after activating because I was changing purchasing information on the services I use and it got flagged after a couple 1 dollar authorizations popped. A 2 minute call got rid of it and I've been fine ever since.

Though if you need something without FTF's, the QuickSilver card is a great pick.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I just signed up for the doublecash yesterday. Planning to replace my quicksilver, because capone screwed up and pissed me off a while ago. Maybe I'll hang on to it

My other wallet card is an Amex Blue Cash Everyday (3% grocery, 2% gas stations, 1% everywhere else), which currently offers a $150 for $1000 spend sign-up bonus.

Looking at my account page, I can refer a friend, which ups their sign up bonus to $200 for $1000 spend (and I get $75 too).

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Citi is just fine, though their IT is hilarious at times.

I do recommend signing up for a different citi card with an actual signup bonus (Citi Premier has a spend $4k, get 50k points worth at least $400 signup bonus, for example), then product changing to the double cash after a year.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Winter Rose posted:

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Have you considered the Discover IT card? It's only a 1% cashback card, but at the end of the first year they double your cash back, in turn making it a 2% back card for the first year. You can also get a $50 sign up bonus if you use someones referral link (I'm sure someone in this thread can hook you up), which will also double at the end of the first year, making it a $100 sign up bonus.

If you go forward with this, could you use my referral?

https://refer.discover.com/s/66q3o

I got my referral code from this thread, and when I followed it to fill out the app it gave no indication that the refer award was being applied and that I would get it. I asked in this thread and was told that was normal, and sure enough on my first statement there was a $50 thing.

As for the card itself, i've been happy with it so far and it seems to have made a good impression ITT and on some of the other sites I checked out. I was just looking for a generic cashback thing with no annual fee and I love it for that, idk how it stacks up against other cards w/ more specific rewards or whatever.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Since you mentioned FTF, I'd advise against Discover. They have very little, if any, international acceptance.

Barclays and CapOne both have no-FTF, no annual fee cards

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Winter Rose posted:

The new Uber card is really good though it doesn't have a simple flat cash back rate. Been lazy and only just got around to adding it to the OP.
Barclay Uber Visa
4% Cashback on dining, 3% on travel, weirdly only 2% back with Uber. No foreign transaction fee and has offline chip and pin support for international travel. Free phone insurance with a $25 deductible if you pay your cell phone bill with this card. I like this card a lot, but it strangely isn't particularly great to use with Uber.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

THF13 posted:

The new Uber card is really good though it doesn't have a simple flat cash back rate. Been lazy and only just got around to adding it to the OP.
Barclay Uber Visa
4% Cashback on dining, 3% on travel, weirdly only 2% back with Uber. No foreign transaction fee and has offline chip and pin support for international travel. Free phone insurance with a $25 deductible if you pay your cell phone bill with this card. I like this card a lot, but it strangely isn't particularly great to use with Uber.

FYI Barclays has a data sharing agreement with Uber. I think this is common with these types of cards, but given Uber’s past actions I’m hesitant to give them more data.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

asur posted:

FYI Barclays has a data sharing agreement with Uber. I think this is common with these types of cards, but given Uber’s past actions I’m hesitant to give them more data.

I just assume the cc companies sell all my purchase data to the highest bidders anyway.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Speaking of Barclays, anyone having experience using Apple Financing with the Barclaycard Visa? Planning to gift someone a macbook this Christmas and I could pay it lump sum but the 0% interest caught my eye. If I'm understanding it right though it's basically a credit card that only works at apple so it would affect my credit like any other card? Might as well use another cashback card unless I'm missing something.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 8, 2017

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

The Professor does not approve of your post.
Lipstick Apathy

Briantist posted:

Just got this card also. One quirk:

Uber Eats counts for earning 4%, but if you tip, it's a separate charge which only earns 2%.

This is likely because uber eats is some specific exception not based on Merchant Category Code (the MCC is the same). Since Uber rides only earn 2%, and the tip charge for uber eats vs. uber is indistinguishable, they probably can't reliably differentiate between them, so they can't fix this without either giving uber ride tips 4% or changing the uber ecosystem so that ride tips and eats tips show up differently.

In any case I have a ticket open with Barclays complaining about it but I doubt I'll get anywhere since no one else on the internet seems to have noticed and in the end it's going to be such a minuscule amount that no one will care ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Predictable Update: Barclays has told me to go suck an egg. "Thanks for contacting us about only earning 2% on your Uber Eats tip. We've investigated and found that this purchase is categorized as 2%." Gee thanks for restating the problem.

BTW, Starbucks also doesn't count as dining on this card, so probably want to use the Sapphire Reserve or literally any other card with dining rewards for that, especially if you're going to be buying a bunch of gift cards for the holidays or whatever (also Barclays blames this on Starbucks, "they chose that MCC").

Can't wait to see what else is creatively categorized on this card!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Briantist posted:

Predictable Update: Barclays has told me to go suck an egg. "Thanks for contacting us about only earning 2% on your Uber Eats tip. We've investigated and found that this purchase is categorized as 2%." Gee thanks for restating the problem.

BTW, Starbucks also doesn't count as dining on this card, so probably want to use the Sapphire Reserve or literally any other card with dining rewards for that, especially if you're going to be buying a bunch of gift cards for the holidays or whatever (also Barclays blames this on Starbucks, "they chose that MCC").

Can't wait to see what else is creatively categorized on this card!

Uber tries to discourage tipping on their services (they know people take expected tips into account when looking at prices) so it's possible they set it up this way intentionally.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Winter Rose posted:

Citi's card is great. I use it all the time if I don't have a higher percent card for that category. There are better cards out there for the shorter term due to the lack of sign up bonus.

Citi's site kinda sucks, but it's completely usable if you're computer literate. For some reason it always takes me to some account setup page when I login and I have to do some backflips, notably hitting "cancel" or some link with a weird name at the bottom of the page, to view my account information. I went through that page the first three times before realizing their site hates me.

They also don't let you pay more than 7% or so over your current balance even if a ton of money is pending. It's annoying as hell and seems like a pointless limitation.

The card is more visually secure than other cards. It has no numbers on the front and the numbers on the back aren't embossed or very large. This results in some cashiers getting confused if they aren't looking for the magnetic strip or chip, but otherwise there are no problems with the double cash that aren't present with every other card in existence.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 9, 2017

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Khorne posted:

They also don't let you pay more than 7% or so over your current balance even if a ton of money is pending. It's annoying as hell and seems like a pointless limitation.

Push payments from your bank's bill pay instead and you can pay any amount you'd like.

Winter Rose
Sep 27, 2007

Understand how unstable the truth can be.

Thanks all. I had a card from the Final startup and was really impressed with its security features and their amazing website and customer service. But they got bought out and are canceling all the cards they issued :saddowns:

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I just opened a Chase Sapphire Preferred card and need to spend $4000 in the first 3 months.... but I just started my hardcore budgeting and putting $1333 on the card each month will be tight. Is there any good way to rack up some charges? Like can I pay my rent or student loans with my card somehow? Does a balance transfer count at all?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

astral posted:

Push payments from your bank's bill pay instead and you can pay any amount you'd like.

Why would you pay more than your balance? You want an account credit?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

a dingus posted:

I just opened a Chase Sapphire Preferred card and need to spend $4000 in the first 3 months.... but I just started my hardcore budgeting and putting $1333 on the card each month will be tight. Is there any good way to rack up some charges? Like can I pay my rent or student loans with my card somehow? Does a balance transfer count at all?

Balance transfers do not count, only purchases.

Rent you'd have to check with your landlord/property management company; quite a few accept cards with a small fee. Otherwise, you can look into services like plastiq.

For student loans, look into Gift of College gift cards. Those come with a smaller fee but if it saves your 50k points, it's worth it. Toys R Us used to sell $500 cards, but I don't think they do any longer. I wouldn't do the direct gift option with the gift of college site that comes with something like a 5% fee, that's way too much. I remember someone mentioning you can buy $300 cards with a $6 fee (so a 2% fee) but you may be able to do better elsewhere.

e: here's a link to the $300 cards on their site: https://giftofcollege.com/purchase-gift-card/az

I think I remember someone saying the cards be coming to Best Buy stores too but that may not have happened yet.

Other things you can typically pay with a card include utilities and even cell phone/cable bills. Some require a small fee, but often that fee is outweighed by the rewards you earn on that payment, let alone the spending bonus you'll be getting back.

angryrobots posted:

Why would you pay more than your balance? You want an account credit?

The quoted poster wanted to pay off their pending charges, too.

astral fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 9, 2017

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Virtue posted:

Speaking of Barclays, anyone having experience using Apple Financing with the Barclaycard Visa? Planning to gift someone a macbook this Christmas and I could pay it lump sum but the 0% interest caught my eye. If I'm understanding it right though it's basically a credit card that only works at apple so it would affect my credit like any other card? Might as well use another cashback card unless I'm missing something.

I had one for a period of time last year. It's an actual VISA card that earns Apple rewards. Nothing special, but if the 0% promotion is worthwhile there's no reason not to go for it.

Barclay's website sucks and it took a few weeks for me to get approved, but I at the time I was a heavy churner.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

a dingus posted:

PNC Bank will let you open a Virtual Wallet checking account and savings account online using the CSP to fund the initial deposit, up to 2000$ max for each account.

First, call Chase and set your cash advance limit to 100$. This ensures that the bank accounts code as a purchase and not a Cash advance. If it tries to go through as a CA, it will be declined since it's over your CA limit. Then a day or two later call and tell them to raise your purchase limit to 2000$, as you're going to make an online purchase for financial services for 2000$. Then open a PNC account. Repeat a few days later with a second PNC account. Congrats -- you just satisfied the minimum spend and you get the 50K UR points.

Once your stuff from PNC shows up in the mail, use your newly opened checking/savings account to pay off the 4000$ balance on the CSP.

Then close the bank accounts with PNC, this will cost you 25$/account. PNC has a rule where there's a 25$ charge to close accounts that haven't been opened for 6 months. Make sure you read the fine print on the bank accounts you are opening, some of them have minimum balance requirements. I think it's easier to just pay the 50$ to PNC to close the accounts once you pay off the balance on the CSP.

You can try to go to a branch in person to close the PNC accounts and ask to get the 25$ fee per account waived, but YMMV. Personally, I think 50$ for 50,000 UR points on 4000$ of manufactured spending is a real deal, but that's your call.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Both of you offering solutions are lifesavers. I might also try and get a check from Chase to pay my rent.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

a dingus posted:

Both of you offering solutions are lifesavers. I might also try and get a check from Chase to pay my rent.

:siren:Warning: That's a cash advance, not a purchase.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

astral posted:

:siren:Warning: That's a cash advance, not a purchase.

Looks like I'll be doing the bank account method then!

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

a dingus posted:

Looks like I'll be doing the bank account method then!

I would open one PNC account per week and then heavily use the CSP for everyday purchases. Basically, mix in the 2000$ bank accounts with a bunch of normal spending. I've read online that if you just open the CSP and immediately do bank accounts, that can flag your account with Chase. I successfully used this method to satisfy the minimum spend on both the CSP and CSR back in February, earning 158,000 UR points for 550$ out of pocket -- 450$ for the annual fee for the CSR + 100$ to PNC to close the 4 bank accounts.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thanks. I plan on sticking all of my spending on my CSP anyhow. I should be able to put $600 or so on the card each month with normal spending so it shouldn't look too weird.

DesolateRampage
Feb 16, 2011

Mourne posted:

PNC Bank will let you open a Virtual Wallet checking account and savings account online using the CSP to fund the initial deposit, up to 2000$ max for each account.

First, call Chase and set your cash advance limit to 100$. This ensures that the bank accounts code as a purchase and not a Cash advance. If it tries to go through as a CA, it will be declined since it's over your CA limit. Then a day or two later call and tell them to raise your purchase limit to 2000$, as you're going to make an online purchase for financial services for 2000$. Then open a PNC account. Repeat a few days later with a second PNC account. Congrats -- you just satisfied the minimum spend and you get the 50K UR points.

Once your stuff from PNC shows up in the mail, use your newly opened checking/savings account to pay off the 4000$ balance on the CSP.

Then close the bank accounts with PNC, this will cost you 25$/account. PNC has a rule where there's a 25$ charge to close accounts that haven't been opened for 6 months. Make sure you read the fine print on the bank accounts you are opening, some of them have minimum balance requirements. I think it's easier to just pay the 50$ to PNC to close the accounts once you pay off the balance on the CSP.

You can try to go to a branch in person to close the PNC accounts and ask to get the 25$ fee per account waived, but YMMV. Personally, I think 50$ for 50,000 UR points on 4000$ of manufactured spending is a real deal, but that's your call.

Just opened the same account and wanted to say thanks as that is a great tip! Might be a better financial decision to go that route rather than my original plan of buying a new bed and laptop to meet the spend!

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

DesolateRampage posted:

Just opened the same account and wanted to say thanks as that is a great tip! Might be a better financial decision to go that route rather than my original plan of buying a new bed and laptop to meet the spend!

Spending money on things you didn't need to meet minimum spend?

The capitalists are getting to you comrade.

In other news, Discover and AmEx are both phasing out the signature mandate.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/11/16761742/american-express-signatures-credit-card-purchases-no-more

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Really looking forward to the signature-less future, but merchants have to get behind it too. I may have already told the story about how I paid something like 43 cents with apple pay and the badly-configured merchant (Rite Aid) terminal made me sign for it. :psyduck:

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So I kept my Reserve and my Girlfriend downgraded hers to a Freedom, and they refunded her a prorated portion of the annual fee, almost $150. Was not expecting that.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Elysium posted:

So I kept my Reserve and my Girlfriend downgraded hers to a Freedom, and they refunded her a prorated portion of the annual fee, almost $150. Was not expecting that.

I product changed a CSP to a Freedom Unlimited after I got my CSR, they prorated the whole fee, that said, the fee had just kicked in for the next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Electronaut posted:

I product changed a CSP to a Freedom Unlimited after I got my CSR, they prorated the whole fee, that said, the fee had just kicked in for the next year.

If it's within 30 days of the AF posting, Chase will refund the whole fee rather than giving you a prorated refund.