Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Plorkyeran posted:

Worm's first arc really ground your face into Taylor's trauma before letting it fade into the background a bit, so I'm expecting Ward to take a similar approach. This arc has to establish that Victoria has PTSD and make sure we understand what that means for her, but that doesn't mean that her dealing with PTSD will be the focus of the story as whole (even if it is what ends up driving the plot to some degree).

Ya, totally agree that nothing this dude has written would suggest trauma and suffering of characters drive the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Plorkyeran posted:

Worm's first arc really ground your face into Taylor's trauma before letting it fade into the background a bit, so I'm expecting Ward to take a similar approach. This arc has to establish that Victoria has PTSD and make sure we understand what that means for her, but that doesn't mean that her dealing with PTSD will be the focus of the story as whole (even if it is what ends up driving the plot to some degree).

I'd argue that Taylor's trauma spends far more time in the foreground than not. Every time she makes a major decision or has to deal with an adversary, violent or not, it's right there in her thoughts. We may not see her getting bullied all the time, but that trauma saturates her entire mindset (e.g. every time she characterizes a person disagreeing with her as 'bullying', which is just about every time). It's one of the things that makes being in Taylor's head so frustrating, heartbreaking and ultimately fascinating.

Regardless, I think it would be incredibly disingenuous if Victoria's PTSD was not a major focus of the majority of the book. What she went through is basically unimaginable and I don't think Wildbow is going to let that sit in the background; it's going to shove its way into her mind and her life constantly. Her getting even slightly better is not going to be some revelation either, it's going to be a long, tortuous grind with a lot of failure and backsliding and it's going to gently caress things up for her both when it maters most and when it doesn't matter at all (from a plot standpoint).

I can't wait to see what Wildbow does with an Amy confrontation, because of course that has to happen. :allears:

I'm really enjoying this already. I read Worm after it had been fully published (which was goddamn exhausting) and I'm looking forward to experiencing this in real-time, as it were.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
victoria's ptsd and (had he survived and been a pov character) grue's arise from circumstances that are so :staredog: out there and so far beyond the experiences of almost anyone that this is going to be an... interesting example of a character dealing with trauma.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Che Delilas posted:

I'd argue that Taylor's trauma spends far more time in the foreground than not. Every time she makes a major decision or has to deal with an adversary, violent or not, it's right there in her thoughts. We may not see her getting bullied all the time, but that trauma saturates her entire mindset (e.g. every time she characterizes a person disagreeing with her as 'bullying', which is just about every time). It's one of the things that makes being in Taylor's head so frustrating, heartbreaking and ultimately fascinating.

I guess "background" is the wrong way of putting it. The first arc was really focused on telling us the readers about how awful it is to be Taylor, but for most of the story it doesn't really go out of its way to point out how many issues she has, and instead just acts as if obviously everyone goes into a murderous rage when they encounter something that could be considered bullying. Victoria is less prone to self-delusion than Taylor was so we probably won't get the same thing where the narration treats her (completely hosed up) actions as just being normal and sensible, but I do expect the explicit "HEY I'M DOING THIS BECAUSE I HAVE PTSD" to fade out once we're done establishing that.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Extra chapter I guess? And it's EVERYTHING I EVER WANTED AAAAAAAAA :swoon:

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
Exciting things happening in the latest Wanderin Inn.
I'm happy that a character finally called Erin out on being ... well... Erin. I'm curious to see what the Magical Innkeeper class she obtained is and what the two new skills do. All in all, new things happening and a brisk pace!

In stark contrast I'm finding myself bored with The Gods are Bastards; the Author himself posted that he's feeling burned out on writing the story. I think I need to let it build up a backlog for a year and then get back to it. The current arc better than the previous one, but I'm really having trouble getting over the whole "explained" Magic/Sci-Fi he did. :shobon:

I have to admit I didn't expect to get hooked on Web Serials, but having the Wandering Inn, a practical guide to evil (read it, it's good!) and now the new Worm adds a nice amount of things to look forward to during the week. :)

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Lamquin posted:

Exciting things happening in the latest Wanderin Inn.
I'm happy that a character finally called Erin out on being ... well... Erin. I'm curious to see what the Magical Innkeeper class she obtained is and what the two new skills do. All in all, new things happening and a brisk pace!

In stark contrast I'm finding myself bored with The Gods are Bastards; the Author himself posted that he's feeling burned out on writing the story. I think I need to let it build up a backlog for a year and then get back to it. The current arc better than the previous one, but I'm really having trouble getting over the whole "explained" Magic/Sci-Fi he did. :shobon:

I have to admit I didn't expect to get hooked on Web Serials, but having the Wandering Inn, a practical guide to evil (read it, it's good!) and now the new Worm adds a nice amount of things to look forward to during the week. :)

Yes! I came here to post this. I'm excited for the new arc, I think this will start 4.x.

I also gave up on The Gods are Bastards when the twist took center stage. I'm reading those three + The Iron Teeth as they come out. And reading my way through Twig an arc or two at a time, now that it's done.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Oh I guess I should mention that if anyone prefers finished stuff, Void Domain recently ended.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

jessica! jessica! jessica!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

builds character posted:

Ya, totally agree that nothing this dude has written would suggest trauma and suffering of characters drive the story.

:golfclap:

When Blake is the least explicitly traumatized major protagonist in the lineup...

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Have to admit, though, I was hoping for something different. Good on him if that's his thing, though, but I don't know if I'll be able to keep up with Ward if it's just a bit more of the same.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:golfclap:

When Blake is the least explicitly traumatized major protagonist in the lineup...

It's true.

Mostly because Blake is only half of the person that made "them". And we don't know, and probably never will know, the extent of the trauma that the Rose half got stuck with.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Somewhere on this forum I got linked a story that was pretty clearly Halo fanfic with the serial numbers filed off about an A.I. battleship continuing to fight on after humanity had been defeated. Does anyone know about this or know where I could find it?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Patrick Spens posted:

Somewhere on this forum I got linked a story that was pretty clearly Halo fanfic with the serial numbers filed off about an A.I. battleship continuing to fight on after humanity had been defeated. Does anyone know about this or know where I could find it?

The Last Angel, probably.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
That is it, thank you.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

We've got our first interlude, and it reveals in a bit of a roundabout way that Tattletale was running the villains' job through earpieces which raises all kinds of questions and is making me go back and comb through everything that's been released so far for more clues as to how the gently caress this is all fitting together.

Also the poo poo with Nursery's "power" is loving terrifying.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Dude's last name is Knuckle, right? I'm not the only one who went straight there, right?

The Shortest Path posted:

Also the poo poo with Nursery's "power" is loving terrifying.

Wildbow has some kind of bottomless magical well of cool superpower ideas in his back yard, or something. I can't believe how creative he continues to be after so many.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 5, 2017

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Now I gotta' wonder if Tattletale had anything to do with Amy showing up at the house when she otherwise would have known better.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
My read on it was that the game Tats is playing is to vent pressure from public unrest and try to foster another pseudo-cycle of cops-and-robbers

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
I feel like Practical Guide of Evil is starting to fall into the Worm issue where things just ramp up continuously without any breaks.

I'm sort of losing interest in battles that amount to "A bunch of mooks die but catherine wins"

Hopefully at some point Cat will fail spectacularly, and have to wander around and adventure or something. Give the story a sense of scale. Remind her of what she's doing all this for.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

My read on it was that the game Tats is playing is to vent pressure from public unrest and try to foster another pseudo-cycle of cops-and-robbers

That's probably a true. I'm more trying to get at; Tattletale would have realized Victoria ended up getting involved. Tattletale has (or at least had) guilt issues in regards to the Victoria and Amy situation, and Tattletale likely maintains some level of contact with Amy.

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

That's probably a true. I'm more trying to get at; Tattletale would have realized Victoria ended up getting involved. Tattletale has (or at least had) guilt issues in regards to the Victoria and Amy situation, and Tattletale likely maintains some level of contact with Amy.

Yeah but I doubt Tattletale would be so stupid as to get Amy to try and visit Victoria right away though. Like she can be an idiot but not that much of an idiot. She would probably get at least some awareness of how Victoria feels about the whole thing and the family dynamic as a whole before she tried to make a drastic intervention like reintroducing Amy into Victoria's life. Maybe she's playing a very stupid long game though idk

I agree about the venting public pressure thing though, but I'm not sure if it's Tattletale who's the driver behind that; I think Marquis, maybe in partnership with Tattletale, is the instigator behind that.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
havent read worm in a while: does tattletale even know what happened to victoria? being a blob probably but being not a blob anymore might have been a surprise

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

violent sex idiot posted:

havent read worm in a while: does tattletale even know what happened to victoria? being a blob probably but being not a blob anymore might have been a surprise

That's where her power fills in the gaps for her I guess.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Did I miss a paragraph in the last update? Where is Tattletale mentioned.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Shes not mentioned by name, just obliquely referenced

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
More specifically, Nursery mentions that they worked with a Thinker who is an information broker that ran Ops for their operation. She says that info broker has also been hired by Snag for a separate job. In the "of5" Glow-Worm chapter, we heard that Tattletale is working as an information broker and was hired by someone in the same trigger event to come after of5. The powers that of5 searchs for with regards to their cluster are acrobatics, prothestic tinker, emotion effect and severing power - sure sounds like Snag

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011

violent sex idiot posted:

I just finished a reread of Worm, and Taylor notes the commonality between Eden's true form and Victoria. She explicitly mentions going through reports and pictures. And Tattletale does have access to PRT/Protectorate files, so she absolutely should know at least about the blob thing, and I bet she knows about the deblobment.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go read Pact and Twig for the first time so I have a lot of chapters to read when I get back to Ward.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Working through Twig 17 now and holy poo poo Helen's brother!!!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I decided to go back through Pact because I gave up on it somewhere around Arc 9 - I think I talked about it in here at the time.

This series has so much potential but it feels so... rigid.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Pact was like getting on this cool rollercoaster and just as it starts climbing and climbing it abruptly stops and just... flattens out and then suddenly it's over. I loved it but it feels like WB's work with the most unrealized potential.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 10, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
More twig 17

Helen no :smith:

E: Sy snapping and just methodically brutalizing the soldiers in the next chapter was loving ROUGH

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 10, 2017

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe
In Practical Guide to Evil

I'm really hoping that Cat loses this fight with the Diabolist. In a way I think she has to, otherwise the story is over. Perhaps she gets bested, and retreats somewhere far away to regain her strength. In the end she becomes an actual hero.

She needs some failures to temper her. Real failures.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

my current wards prediction: things are gonna be okay

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

my current wards prediction: things are gonna be okay

I really, really wanna believe that. Maybe Wildbow has turned a new leaf and this story will be fairly optimistic and upbeat!

:shepface:

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe
Victoria learned from Yamada that kindess and love are the real super powers~

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I hope Victoria decides to just make her own team.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

With all the troubled youths from the hospital. Joke's on you this isn't Worm 2 it's Twig 2

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I hope Victoria continues along these lines. If Yamada is a human therapist to Capes, they Victoria can be a Cape therapist to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe
I hope Victoria becomes a truly selfless hero, who is only out there to help everyone.

She needs to be the kind of person that Taylor was looking for in Worm 1.

Wildbow's works are so full of troubled people, antiheros, and downright villains, that a genuinely nice person trying to use their powers to make things better (and not becoming utterly corrupted in the process) would be a novelty.