Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
These story leaks sound awesome so far. The biggest complaint I’ve read is people whining about “but the 12 books and cartoons I’ve read are pointless now” which is just the dumbest thing still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The final shot of the kid reaching out for the broom with the Force or whatever kind of feels like something that should come at the end of this trilogy, not at the end of the second installment.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Lionel Richie posted:

The best entertainment is that subreddit, who've waited 2 years for Star Wars leaks and they've finally got some and now don't want to believe it

The meltdowns on there over the last few days have been amazing. Which is funny because these new details made me way more interested in checking the movie out.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Eh, I'm not really much of a fan of TFA, but I am even less of a fan of having a whole bunch of mystery boxes erased just to be edgy. Half the fun of seeing big franchise movies is enjoying seeing how they tie together, and from everything I've seen this movie and TFA seem to be in different universes.

I was with everyone on saying TFA played it to safe, but I was fine with that if that's how they wanted to roll. But to just dump everything and go down a new path does temper my excitement a bit.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mantis42 posted:

Actually, SW was always more interesting when it had compelling characters moving through an interesting and creative storyline.

The first two movies were pretty good, yeah.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Why do people in those Reddit leak threads care so deeply about Snoke? I'm seeing some seriously negative reaction to him being killed in the second movie before he can really shine or something, but, I mean, he didn't seem all that amazingly compelling to me.

That said, if all of the leaks are true, holy poo poo, I hope Rian Johnson has some thick skin. He's not just poking the beehive of internet tough guy death threat senders, he's smacking it with a baseball bat and dancing around in front of it. I kind of love it, especially if it all plays out well on screen as that one ViewerAnon says.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They're upset either a) because they read all the supplemental material and it turns out he isn't very important at all or b) they are idiots who like JJ Abrams mystery box bullshit and are angry to find out there in fact never was a satisfying conclusion for any of those things that required a mystery box setup and thus TFA is an even weirder and more pointless film.

Seriously, these leaks all sound real good to me but simultaneously they cement TFA as the worst Star Wars film.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I guess people inexperienced in dealing with JJ might have thought the "mystery" of Snoke had actually been designed with a satisfying payoff in mind that would retroactively make some of the dumb poo poo in TFA make more sense. Discarding the character is kind of tacitly admitting that the dumb poo poo was, surprise, just dumb poo poo. Also lore nerds might be invested in their pet theories about Snoke and seeing him clowned on doesn't sit well. In any case, :lol:

efb ^

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

The thing I can't wait to see is whether (especially since none of the mysteries pay off and this starts right where TFA left off) TLJ is able to act as a better sequel to RotJ than TFA

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

No Mods No Masters posted:

I guess people inexperienced in dealing with JJ might have thought the "mystery" of Snoke had actually been designed with a satisfying payoff in mind that would retroactively make some of the dumb poo poo in TFA make more sense. Discarding the character is kind of tacitly admitting that the dumb poo poo was, surprise, just dumb poo poo. Also lore nerds might be invested in their pet theories about Snoke and seeing him clowned on doesn't sit well. In any case, :lol:

efb ^

A “snoke monster”, if you will.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
It sounds like they went with a lot of the silliest options they could've for this, and Kylo becoming the Supreme Leader is the only thing I didn't already suspect they'd do. Iconoclasm and trolling overly serious nerds may be funny, but it doesn't justify poor writing, and there's nothing wrong with wanting the already pointless sequels to honor the original characters, even if they're not the most important characters anymore. Rey being a nobody is silly because it does nothing to explain why she's so strong and why Anakin's lightsaber was calling out to her in the previous movie, if they really wanted to make the point that ideology matters more than bloodline that would've been emphasized better if she wasn't more specialer than anyone else ever was. If she were just of average strength in the Force, or even if she just didn't have even inanimate objects trying to talk to her, that would better play into the theme that anyone can be a hero if they're committed to the right things(until they make the next trilogy in which the character's accomplishments don't matter so they can have some reason for the new characters to repeat similar plot beats).

The Supreme Leader thing is at least interesting and surprising, but it also points out just how little sense the First Order as a concept makes. I think that's a big part of why people wanted some big explanation for him, because they thought it would justify why he's got limitless resources. I'm definitely interested in seeing how all of this is presented in the actual movie, but it definitely sounds poorly written even if it's done in an entertaining way.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
I think the big thing I like about this is it hits all the message beats this type of movie should hit in this day and age. Ideology is more important than blood, the real threat isn’t going to be some creeping all encompassing evil mastermind but your idiot radicalized failson who believes in a myth that was never real and wields power largely as an accident of birth. I hope it at least seems like it works well on screen and the JJ doesn’t completely ruin it by going full redemption arc in IX.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Also getting rid of dynastic bloodlines and returning to the radical message of the original film, that a poor farmer or orphan is the moral heart of the galaxy. The force flows through all living by things, but through the poorest and powerless most of all.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So is the way that Snoke goes down supposed to be that Kylo offers to help Rey, he takes her in like a prisoner, and then kills Snoke, then turns on Rey and frames her for it to become the new commander?

Because if that’s how it works, first of all that is awesome because it is Sith as gently caress, but it’s also kind of neat because it sort of foreshadows what would have happened if Luke accepted Vader’s offer.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
He asks her to rule the galaxy as father and daughter work friends together, she declines, they both try to grab Anakin's/Luke's lightsaber, it explodes, Kylo wakes up with Rey gone (saved by her friends). Somewhere before this they take on Snoke's guards together.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Can I get a sumnation of the plot for VIII? And people are saying it's not going to be as good as VII?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

but it’s also kind of neat because it sort of foreshadows what would have happened if Luke accepted Vader’s offer.

Yeah this right here is why i like it so much.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

No Mods No Masters posted:

For better or worse, I respect that they're not playing things completely safe at least. It would have been very, very easy to keep Luke kicking around as undefeatable fan service god man a la the old canon and I was strongly expecting it. Likewise for Snoke as Palpatine 2, at least through the next movie. Those are weirdly non-Disney decisions, so even if the movie is trash I respect Johnson for trying and getting away with it.

However, it does strongly enhance the 'chaos reigns, kill you're parents, welcome to nightmare universe' feel that was creeping on the edge of TFA which I imagine will rub people the wrong way even if the movie can make it feel convincing.

i dont mind snoke being the force user equivalent of new colossus hitler or some dude who isnt as strong as he says he is, like he is some old as gently caress monster thing who much like kylo has a few strong points in the force and apperently charisma, but isnt actually that strong. yeah, he can trick/take over the gutted remains of the imperial remenant. but thats about it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Per a link to a thread on BluRaydotcom’s forums, there’s a guy who’s going into a bit more detail regarding spoilers, and he’s confirming the ViewerAnon leaks, so ViewerAnon is probably legit.

The end of the movie features a scene where a fathier stable boy who worked at Canto Bight from earlier in the film is getting berated by one of his alien bosses to help clean up the mess that Finn and Rose made. The alien leaves the screen and when nobody is looking, the kid uses the force to pull a broom to his hands, then holds the broom like a lightsaber and points it at the sky. Fanfare builds, then credits smash cut.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Can I get a sumnation of the plot for VIII? And people are saying it's not going to be as good as VII?

Based on the leaks it sounds way better than TFA.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gonz posted:

The end of the movie features a scene where a fathier stable boy who worked at Canto Bight from earlier in the film is getting berated by one of his alien bosses to help clean up the mess that Finn and Rose made. The alien leaves the screen and when nobody is looking, the kid uses the force to pull a broom to his hands, then holds the broom like a lightsaber and points it at the sky. Fanfare builds, then credits smash cut.

The Force is actually the immortal science of Marxism-Leninsm and Episode 9 is a full-on class war against the disaster capitalist class

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Gonz posted:

Per a link to a thread on BluRaydotcom’s forums, there’s a guy who’s going into a bit more detail regarding spoilers, and he’s confirming the ViewerAnon leaks, so ViewerAnon is probably legit.

luke body switch confirmed!!!

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Belgian site Geekster Star Wars: The Last Jedi review (warning: The article contains very slight spoilers about the nature of the conflict between the First Order and the Resistance in the first ten to fifteen minutes of the movie, plus plot content we already knew from the trailers)

The entire review can be found here: https://www.geekster.be/films/star-...st-jedi-review/

tl;dr: A step in the right direction
Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi respects the franchise’s rich tradition, but contrary to The Force Awakens, it still does its own thing. This produces amusing and especially surprising cinema. Like Rey and Kylo Ren, Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi succeeds in escaping from the long shadows of its predecessor and the new generation finally picks up the torch. The Last Jedi is exciting and surprises with insane plot twists, yet still has a couple of plot issues. A step in the right direction, through trial and error.

disclaimer: I write for this site, but didn't write this review
edit: for any non-spoiler questions (hope springs eternal), please ask them in the general Last Jedi thread, I won't be reading this one out of spoiler fear.

Pennfalath fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 12, 2017

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Gonz posted:

DAMNIT I WAS BEATEN TO THAT????

Going to pull an X-Men: The Last Stand and eventually reveal Luke has possessed the boy and can now relive his life again. Discarding bodies after they grow old and weak moving on to possess another host. Truly finding immortality. :v:

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Gonz posted:

What in the hell is this for an ending?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I am looking forward to George Lucas' reaction to this film.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

TheBuilder posted:

Probably to show that the force is returning to the universe (The force awakens) and force sensitive people are showing up all over, Jedi and Sith will be more common and we are not tied to one or two main characters.

OR...luke pulled a Prof. X and did a mind/body switch and is a little boy now.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Eh, I'm not really much of a fan of TFA, but I am even less of a fan of having a whole bunch of mystery boxes erased just to be edgy. Half the fun of seeing big franchise movies is enjoying seeing how they tie together, and from everything I've seen this movie and TFA seem to be in different universes.

I was with everyone on saying TFA played it to safe, but I was fine with that if that's how they wanted to roll. But to just dump everything and go down a new path does temper my excitement a bit.

no, this is absolutely great and i love that some rear end in a top hat who made an entire movie of 'sure this is boring but NEXT episode will be exciting' having all that poo poo ruined is absolutely the way movies should be. this loving owns and i'm actually hyped up to see this movie which i wasn't even planning on seeing until now

I hated TFA and i love that that movie has essentially been thrown in the trash . like at this point you could go from return of the jedi to last jedi with about five minutes worth of stuff from TFA that actually mattered

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 12, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

TheBuilder posted:

THIS KID WILL APPEAR AGAIN IN *UNTITLED STAR WARS RIAN JOHNSON TRILOGY EP1* 2021

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Barudak posted:

They're upset either a) because they read all the supplemental material and it turns out he isn't very important at all or b) they are idiots who like JJ Abrams mystery box bullshit and are angry to find out there in fact never was a satisfying conclusion for any of those things that required a mystery box setup and thus TFA is an even weirder and more pointless film.

Seriously, these leaks all sound real good to me but simultaneously they cement TFA as the worst Star Wars film.

Or they're upset because the entire franchise is just spinning its wheels with each movie undoing the last. I'm not really a star wars fan and so these spoilers really put me off watching this movie. If this isn't a continuation of the first movie (which was full JJ abrams poo poo show), and the 3rd movie wont be a continuation of this movie, then it's all standalone movies in a somewhat interesting universe. That wouldn't be bad if the individual movies were really good, but they aren't, they're mediocre at best. So if there isn't a satisfying ending at least, then why even keep watching?

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Grouchio posted:

All of Star Wars is revealed to be Alf staring into a snow globe

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Reviews are appearing now and not all are over the moon. Just watched a 7/10 well argued German one for example. I'm looking forward to Friday, when I can watch it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

PenguinKnight posted:

All of Star Wars is revealed to be Alf staring into a snow globe

Luke wakes up in his Tatooine bed next to Biggs, who shushes him and tells him to go back to sleep. On the bedside chair, though, is a grappling hook.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

I also love the, quite on the nose, symbolism of Anakin's lightsaber being destroyed.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

homullus posted:

I am looking forward to George Lucas' reaction to this film.

*George Lucas farting into a microphone*

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Nessus posted:

Is the porg the "Last Jedi"?

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/917611834181431296

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

lol, I love Rian Johnson. He gets it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Danger posted:

I also love the, quite on the nose, symbolism of Anakin's lightsaber being destroyed.

Good, that poo poo was cursed and should have never been revered as a sacred item in the first place.

It should have been Obi-Wan's lightaaber or Yoda's, not some guy that was sort of good then goes whole hog evil and uses it to kill some sand people and a buncha kids. If anything to make a ton more sense the saber should have been Luke's green saber that he would have likely discarded after going into exile.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

TFA treats the lightsaber with blithe cloying reverence, TLJ blows the gently caress out of it in a big shitshow. I have my reservations obviously but I have to prefer the latter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Jiro posted:

Good, that poo poo was cursed and should have never been revered as a sacred item in the first place.

It should have been Obi-Wan's lightaaber or Yoda's, not some guy that was sort of good then goes whole hog evil and uses it to kill some sand people and a buncha kids. If anything to make a ton more sense the saber should have been Luke's green saber that he would have likely discarded after going into exile.

Interestingly enough, apparently the one time the green saber is in the film is when Luke is contemplating murdering Ben Solo.

• Locked thread