Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

What is Alison confused by? I legitimately don't understand.

Also, I like Up a lot! No particular relevance to today's page, though, just thought I'd mention it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

pospysyl posted:

What is Alison confused by? I legitimately don't understand.

her mind is going as soft as her body, currently at doubleplus fluff and rising...clevins behind it all and drat him to hell

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Zerilan posted:

We could have actually been shown something by seeing past Patrick memories but instead child Patrick is just going to tell it in awkward dialogue.

With no detail backgrounds cause we want to focus on how GOOD the dialogue is!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I still can't get over the fact that people pledge enough money to fund two books for this.

Is this what they wanted their money to go towards? Getting worse at your craft?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I still can't get over the fact that people pledge enough money to fund two books for this.

Is this what they wanted their money to go towards? Getting worse at your craft?

Yes. It is the most art.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
sacrifice your art for the sake of your art

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

welcome

welcome to softzone

tell you what it'd be nice to be able to read dogs' thoughts, but not if you simply stole the idea wholesale from doug in Up

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Flesh Forge posted:

Alison's ankles keep getting thicker every page :shrug:
That's getting really blatant now. How many pages before the characters just get elephant feet?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the dog has human ears, and the humans have vast black voids in their ears, and i don't like it

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Cat Mattress posted:

That's getting really blatant now. How many pages before the characters just get elephant feet?

it's tough to be in college with the body of a toddler

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

They're called soolnds.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the dog has human ears, and the humans have vast black voids in their ears, and i don't like it

:psyduck: :aaa: :psyduck:

sweeperbravo posted:

it's tough to be in college with the body of a toddler

I'm pretty sure if you scaled up the kid there in size he would have the exact same proportions as Alison there. She's literally just a giant child at this point.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Nuebot posted:

:psyduck: :aaa: :psyduck:

I'm pretty sure if you scaled up the kid there in size he would have the exact same proportions as Alison there. She's literally just a giant child at this point.

I scaled the boy up to 150%

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Look at that lazy eye on Alison in the bottom left panel, though.
9_6 HELLO

EDIT whoops, I thought the resize edit was the real thing for that one, shows how dumb I am.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 10, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
KILL

SIX

BILLION

REAL BIG DADS

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

What a bad panel. All that art completely hid the dialogue.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

welcome

welcome to softzone

tell you what it'd be nice to be able to read dogs' thoughts, but not if you simply stole the idea wholesale from doug in Up

YOU ARE THE BOY

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I don't have a problem with dog brain being simple stuff like that, dogs are basically 1-2 year old children minus talking.
e: It's troubling because it shows Patrick had direct understanding of the emotions of others since he was a little boy but he still acts like a complete psychopath who is completely without affect :shrug:

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
It is truly remarkable how this comic is so resistant to even approaching the main plot or any sense of conflict/danger in itself.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Also he can mind read animals apparently

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

paragon1 posted:

Also he can mind read animals apparently

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to comment on that.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I didn't mind that but I am a dog nerd

trump lover
Dec 12, 2017

by Lowtax
when i was about that age i tried very hard to establish a telepathic connection with my dog, but that was because i was convinced he was an andalite

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

trump lover posted:

when i was about that age i tried very hard to establish a telepathic connection with my dog, but that was because i was convinced he was an andalite

Did you try to feed him a cinnamon bun?

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

This comic is bad and I don't think i'll ever get interesting, and I hate myself for reading it, yet I keep doing so.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Seeing "adorkable" used in actual dialogue made me angry for a quick moment.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
The smug egomaniac who kidnaps people and steals their memories is sooooo adorbs :kimchi:

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The dialogue on the last four panels isn't that bad. Patrick's a little melodramatic and the word "adorkable" is horrible, but at the very least they're engaging in some actual human drama that isn't spelled out in college liberal language. This really speaks to the way that the sci-fi trappings of this arc don't serve it at all. There's no reason Alison has to be inside Patrick's dreamworld to have this conversation. The conflict of the scene, that Alison and Patrick used to be attracted to each other, but Alison is now interested in Patrick solely as a resource while Patrick feels differently, is not at all affected by the setting, which makes it pointless. Ostertag is correct to opt for complete laziness here because nothing is actually happening.

If you really wanted to keep the mindscape aspect of it, you could have had Alison discover something actually emotionally affecting. The giant Alison came close, but Alison completely ignored the implications there and instead reacted to it like she did everything: disinterested surprise. Instead of having an entirely anodyne presentation, there could have been some actually surprising, disturbing stuff that would cause Alison to realize that she actually never knew Patrick, not really, because she's focused more on her immediate prosaic needs.

For instance, this scene with the dog could have been super dramatic! Patrick is discovering his freakish, inhuman powers, powers that put him in actual physical danger thanks to the conspiracy. This is an experience that Alison partially has in common with Patrick; after all, she had to have discovered her powers at some point too. Despite this commonality, though, Alison never talked about this incident with Patrick. (Or maybe she has, but never really thought about it! There's a lot you could do with this.) If it was something dramatic and dark, Alison could actually respond to this with shock. Even if you wanted to keep it inoffensive, Alison could at least be curious in this experience, because she herself has superpowers and is engaged with the superpowered community. That's why she's even in this mess! Thus, the conflict is revealed. Alison wants to protect superpowered individuals, but this focus diverts her from forming actual human connections within the community, including with someone who she onced cared deeply for.

What I'm saying is that this is just wasted potential. We finally see a glimpse of an actual story, but nobody realizes it.

edit: Actually, when I say "potential", I mean that this stuff would bring the comic up to "basic competence", not something great.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 12, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I look forward to when this arc ends in five years and nothing meaningful happens.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Clevin might show up!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

post the loving comic when it's out, you useless shits

clev femevin proagevin shouldn't get page hits

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"adorkable"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The perspective in the upper right corner is confusing me. It looks like she's just tilting forward for no reason at all?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I do not use contractions because I am the mental manifestation, alien and unknown of a telepath and I am also written by a hack

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Nuebot posted:

The perspective in the upper right corner is confusing me. It looks like she's just tilting forward for no reason at all?

drawing the windmill would have distracted from the story

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Glad we've now firmly established that any chance at romance is dead and the path is clear to eternal Clevin love

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Did we hit the one year anniversary of park philosophy yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So, she's just totally forgotten about the professor guy already, huh?

• Locked thread